danielprates

The Rheinland map

On 10/4/2019 at 3:42 PM, J2-Oelmann said:

...The larger cities should all be more ruins then intact houses. Collogne was almost completly destroyed be the end of the war:

image-107216-860_poster_16x9-kdva-107216

Most objects in the game (including buildings) have a damaged (or destroyed) state. Certainly for villages on maps, mission builders can "dial up" the damage for each block of buildings. I suspect we can do the same thing for blocks of buildings in cities (like Koeln). Testing is about to begin! 😎

Edit: by the way, that's just an astonishing photo, particularly for someone who's actually been to Cologne and seen the cathedral. Here's an anecdote that might make our German friends smile: I emigrated ten years ago from the UK to Vienna (in Austria, obviously), and of course my children learnt Viennese German within months (Dadgummit!). Anyway, a year later, flying back to London with my 9-yr-old son, we had a 5=hour transfer at Cologne, so we took the train to the "city centre" and looked at the cathedral. But quickly, my son turned to me to complain, "Dad, it's weird: these people speak strange German... It's sooo old-fashioned!".

[Compared to his Austrian German, obviously.]

Edited by No601_Swallow
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, No601_Swallow said:

Dad, it's weird: these people speak strange German... It's sooo old-fashioned!".

Well, your son is right, in Köln they really speak strange German:biggrin:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

Well, your son is right, in Köln they really speak strange German:biggrin:

Pass op Jung wat de säst. Ik gloob et jet los... 

😄

Btw. All time fave. Star Wars op Kölsch. (SW in Cologne slang) 

Edited by Blooddawn1942
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

Pass op Jung wat de säst. Ik gloob et jet los... 

On a second thought, it is anything but german.

even better here: Virales Marketing. Enjoy!

Sie streitsüchtiger Grasdackel!

Edited by sevenless
  • Upvote 1

it's the effect of all that beer at carnival, I tells ya..

Koelsch is no beer...

Still my favourite take on the Köllsche Dialekt:

Edited by Bremspropeller

Why is it that the same people that complain about AI/Career and other things don't like the map either?

19 minutes ago, LF_Gallahad said:

Why is it that the same people that complain about AI/Career and other things don't like the map either?

Probably because people that like to fly an historically-based simulator are generally knowledgeable in the subject or are learning about it, and want everything to be perfect - not just the look of the aircraft. Those who come in purely for an online dogfight fest of testosterone-fuelled kill counting, before moving on to the next game, don't give a toss about it at all.

Btw, I'm happy with the AI and Career. Both could be improved but it doesn't worry me. On the other hand, as a former cartographic surveyor I'm almost duty-bound to care about the maps! ;)

Cheers.

Edited by Red_Cat
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 10

14 hours ago, LF_Gallahad said:

The things are very closely interrelated. 

• Upvote 1

S!

Even Bodenplatte map is interesting historically and all, I find it boring to fly on. Sorry. Just does not give any kicks for me.

The cities all look great but the countryside, devoid of any life, looks like a huge golf course to me. The devs have done a good job with a historic layout but I'd like to see some semblance of the war. Pristeen landscapes are great for FSX and othe civ sims but this is 1944 and a war has been going on for 5 years. It all looks so sterile. But I do understand that a damaged building with associated rubble in the streets would have a far bigger impact on performance than a 6 polygon undamaged one.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rolling_Thunder said:

The cities all look great but the countryside, devoid of any life, looks like a huge golf course to me. The devs have done a good job with a historic layout but I'd like to see some semblance of the war. Pristeen landscapes are great for FSX and othe civ sims but this is 1944 and a war has been going on for 5 years. It all looks so sterile. But I do understand that a damaged building with associated rubble in the streets would have a far bigger impact on performance than a 6 polygon undamaged one.

The problem with a semblance of war is the following with the current map;

Due to the strategic bombing campaign, Germany would be a ruined mess (to put it mildly) in the later phases of the map, you'd have the signs of war impacting places like Arnhem and Bastogne, but the rest of the map more or less (there are a number of exceptions) escaped ending up looking like Germany..

In 1944-1945, Strategic Bombing did wreck German cities, but the countryside and smaller towns and villages were left to fighter-bombers and medium bombers. 

Wouldn't it be nice to have a playable B-26 Marauder added in the future?

As I have pointed out before, I find the map to be a bit empty. Many important villages and towns are missing, details in countryside, things that make the map come alive. 

To me it looks like the European equivalent of the Russian steppe. Towns are really nicely done, but there is nothing in between them. I imagine if a pilot would have to crash land in that area irl, he would invariably end up landing in someone's back garden. 

I'd like therefore to see more small towns added and farms and villages. 

Also the thing that started me on this was the fact that the Lion's Mound south of Brussels was missing, as well as the adjacent town of Waterloo. These are historical landmarks that can be used for orientation. 

As for the people saying that the war would have destroyed more things, I say 1st this is not that map but the pristine version I would think, and 2nd that villages would not have been damaged at all unless fighting on the ground had taken place in them.

Edited by ACG_Woop
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Question: where can I get single JPG file of Rheinland IL-2 map with high quality resolution? 

This app use it but cannot be downloaded as single file: https://il2missionplanner.com/#rheinland

THX

Sent you a PM

On 10/9/2019 at 5:41 AM, Rolling_Thunder said:

The cities all look great but the countryside, devoid of any life, looks like a huge golf course to me. The devs have done a good job with a historic layout but I'd like to see some semblance of the war. Pristeen landscapes are great for FSX and othe civ sims but this is 1944 and a war has been going on for 5 years. It all looks so sterile. 

I’m hoping against hope that at least a few railroad marshalling yards are added. 

These were extremely important, very common tactical targets. Bread and butter stuff. 

Edited by Gambit21
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Plus I still cant look over the fact that a urban area that housed ~4.000.000 citizens is portrayed by three or four middle-seized towns.....

• Upvote 1

Compared to all the previous maps , Rhineland its a disappointment so far, was expecting  Kuban quality or even better.

Gives a feeling that it is not populated, no small towns in between cities, no farms,  ground textures has no detail, like a giant golf course, with lines and color changes., FSX kind of terrain.

In its favor I think the cities are great though.

And also developers say their work is not finished, so hope it will get improved. 

Stalingrad map was greatly improved, so there is hope.

74647541_2529124343807324_7933916425305980928_o.jpg

• Upvote 3

I wonder when people are actually going to understand that compromises must be made in order to not require a Cray Supercomuter in order to achieve playability.

Compared to Kuban you have a map that, in square kilometerage, may only be ~8% larger, but about 50% of Kuban is water.

Object density is a thing ladies and gents; every object on the map = more polygons = more drawing processing = more collison detection processing = more damage model processing.

There are many, many more towns and cities on the Rhineland map, and all are more densely packed than any Kuban metropolis.

You want a greater scope of operations on larger maps, somethings gotta give.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, DD_Fenrir said:

I wonder when people are actually going to understand that compromises must be made in order to not require a Cray Supercomuter in order to achieve playability.

Compared to Kuban you have a map that, in square kilometerage, may only be ~8% larger, but about 50% of Kuban is water.

Object density is a thing ladies and gents; every object on the map = more polygons = more drawing processing = more collison detection processing = more damage model processing.

There are many, many more towns and cities on the Rhineland map, and all are more densely packed than any Kuban metropolis.

This is my thought of why the map is like it is, to compromise and make it work.

However the lack of attention to detail is another thing, like the picture above, its something that can be fixed and wont decrease performance.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DD_Fenrir said:

I understand compromise was made and now we have the worst looking map so far. If they didn't have the capacity to keep the same quality at least, they shouldn't have made such a unnecessarily huge map. Stalingrad size map would be fine. Instead we have one 5,5 x 5,5km ground texture and rivers looking like someone draw them with a ruler. Every lake, river and coast line looks absolutely terrible. The current Rheinland map is one of the reasons I'm not gonna buy BON.

• Upvote 6

Rheinland map- very nice and realistic variations of green colour.....would love that color palette on Kuban map (Kuban grass (green) is screaming).

Those Rheinland cities are a bit heavy on performance in VR but overall great map and i enjoy flying on it.

Looking forward to Channel map.

Btw for VR users it would be nice to have ingame option to flatten buildings so we drain more performance juice (fps).

Ppl demanding every detail and historical accuracy on every farm and village is a bit unrealistic to ask for.

I'd rather they spend resources on torpedo tech.

Ok. Ouky, what part of the Rhineland map would you have focused your Stalingrad sized area on?

Focus North and you miss out most of the American sector and you struggle to provide a meaningful, accurate SP career mode for those wishing to fly USAAF.

Focus South and now for those wishing to fly for the RAF are short changed instead.

Those straight rivers are called "canals" btw. Lot of them in Belgium Holland and Germany. Google is your friend.

472183150_Il-22019-12-0422-52-58.thumb.jpg.69f800352d5c152fd5beab35e8a4f8cb.jpg
I hope we can get sandy beach and remove the strange farm or roads on the sandbank.
Kuban map was done well, could we own the same quality on rheinland map? 
I go to check north coast everytime when game update, maybe someday I will be happy.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Ok. Ouky, what part of the Rhineland map would you have focused your Stalingrad sized area on?

Focus North and you miss out most of the American sector and you struggle to provide a meaningful, accurate SP career mode for those wishing to fly USAAF.

Focus South and now for those wishing to fly for the RAF are short changed instead.

Those straight rivers are called "canals" btw. Lot of them in Belgium Holland and Germany. Google is your friend.

I would focus on smaller part of Rheinland, or scale it down a little. It's a game and they already said the maps are not 1:1 representation of reality, so why not make it smaller? I would never sacrifice quality for quantity.

You're right about those canals, my bad.

1 minute ago, MiloMorai said:

I guess imagination is a thing of the past.

This is a silly argument.

If imagination is as good as kuban-quality scenery, then why bother playing IL-2 at all when you can simply sit in a dark room and imagine you are flying the real thing.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Oyster_KAI said:

472183150_Il-22019-12-0422-52-58.thumb.jpg.69f800352d5c152fd5beab35e8a4f8cb.jpg
I hope we can get sandy beach and remove the strange farm or roads on the sandbank.
Kuban map was done well, could we own the same quality on rheinland map? 
I go to check north coast everytime when game update, maybe someday I will be happy.

This is the kind of attention to detail , this map needs an improvement .

Wont decrease performance, and wont give an unpolished mediocre finish. 

Map improvement is in the works, so hopefully this is one of the fixes.

• Upvote 2

As for the details, I miss evergreen trees (pines, spruces) and the trees without leaves on winter map...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I’m loving the winter map. :good:

Yep , same here, like the winter map.

Ships ? Barges? Gunboats? Canal boats ? Row boats....where the devil are they...I have no water borne targets...say it aint so....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Trains and marshalling yards. Proper embankments for rivers and coast. Coniferous trees, defoliated trees on winter maps. etc. Lot of stuff still to do.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

Trains and marshaling yards. Proper embankments for rivers and coast. Coniferous trees, defoliated trees on winter maps. etc. Lot of stuff still to do.

Oh yeah that too...perhaps with the options of bombed out marshaling yards ...ditto Luftwaffe airfields?

One hopes for such things on the upcoming Normandy Map as well??

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know if the Rhineland map was build by the 1CGS team or by one of their partners (Ugra Media)? The difference in quality between Kuban and Rhineland is really striking, so for me it's hard believe that both maps were created by the same team.

7 minutes ago, Juri_JS said:

Does anyone know if the Rhineland map was build by the 1CGS team or by one of their partners (Ugra Media)? The difference in quality between Kuban and Rhineland is really striking, so for me it's hard believe that both maps were created by the same team.

No, I don´t know it. But I think the same as you. Both maps Arras and Rhineland are in another league as Kuban.

I would have swapped high city details without hesitation to more populated countryside, if it would have been a choice. You are passing those cities anyway at 400-600 km/h, how much detail can you observe at that speed? I also think if the devs would have offered us a choice/poll between a huge map and a smaller map, with information about the detail level you're getting with your option, results would have been clearly more favorable to details.

I see people saying the map will be improved and I'm not sure what to think of it. Did I pay in advance for something that was not ready when published and now I just have to wait if it might get better and more enjoyable/usable in the future? This is like going to see Star Wars without CGI effects and a promise to see the final version with the same ticket 😊

Hey, I love the series but this map was not what I expected and I'm hoping it's not repeated with the Normandy map.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7