[MOD] Arras pre/post war

On 10/1/2019 at 4:11 AM, Jade_Monkey said:

Gets rid of "No man's land", the strip of land that was full of craters and trenches due to the war.

So the map shows green fields instead of the war torn battlegrounds.

Oddly enough no-man's land and it craters are still there more than 100 years after WWI, they are just a bit overgrown with vegetation, but the craters are etched into the landscape and still clearly visible. In the Zone Rouge or Red Zone there are still no people, nobody lives there and these areas are still dangerous to this day because on munitions including poison gas like mustard gas.

1280px-Red_Zone_Map-fr_svg.thumb.png.39e3ca07942558fc4ea621486bd5c083.png

That said I really like the idea of this mod, as it gives us a nice little frame rate friendly western Europe map, without the WWI active front line :good:

Edited by Pict
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...

Is there a way to have both Arras map versions present and loadable in the game/editor program,

thus both versions one with and one without the No-mans land zone?

PS in the editor the zone is still present, and in the game are barb-wires, explosions etc: still present; how can you get that out?

Arras Map modded.jpg

Arras Map modded 2.jpg

Edited by jollyjack
  • 3 months later...
On 1/26/2020 at 11:25 AM, jollyjack said:

in the game are barb-wires, explosions etc: still present

Oh good.  Not really but...I thought maybe I installed it wrong.

(made a 'No NML' folder and put the data folder in that, place 'No NML' folder in 'MODS' and enabled via JSGME)

Nice work though Liz. Thanks.

Edited by Beebop

On 1/26/2020 at 11:25 AM, jollyjack said:

the game are barb-wires, explosions etc: still present

Just did a test in the ME.

With the mod enabled I removed the "Battlefield" objects block.  The dugouts and barbed wire fences were gone but there were brown earth patches were the dugouts had been, there were white lines where the barbwire fences had been and the explosions continued.

Not being a modder in any sense of the word I would not know where to look for the explosions and would be loath to remove them if I knew where to look.  Possibly they are in the hard coding of the game as we don't have a similar effect on any other map.  They are not like the fires of Stalingrad, they are very "dynamic" acting events that only appear in no mans land.  There is no "explosions" object or block that I'm aware of in the ME tools.

(but what do i know, i can barely hit a target with the whole plane, lol)

On 10/2/2019 at 10:19 PM, Pict said:

Oddly enough no-man's land and it craters are still there more than 100 years after WWI, they are just a bit overgrown with vegetation, but the craters are etched into the landscape and still clearly visible. In the Zone Rouge or Red Zone there are still no people, nobody lives there and these areas are still dangerous to this day because on munitions including poison gas like mustard gas.

1280px-Red_Zone_Map-fr_svg.thumb.png.39e3ca07942558fc4ea621486bd5c083.png

That said I really like the idea of this mod, as it gives us a nice little frame rate friendly western Europe map, without the WWI active front line :good:

Must be a really haunted zone, best flown over as quick as possible. Those WW1 fly-birds are in need of a turbo then. A Red Zone Turbo MOD?

Wow! I hadn't realised that some areas were still considered unsafe for cultivation... apparently the forests in very large sections of Vietnam haven't recovered from Agent Orange (mentioned in a Botany class I took a few years back)... it really brings home the scale of modern war when you realise that it permanently changes the environment.

Making changes to the heightmap will make the game spit out "this map is not authorized for your account" - plus the heighmap resolution isn't high enough for fine detail like that.

OK.  (sigh)

But you never know until you ask.

Thanks for the info.

Is there any way to retexture the dugout patches and remove the explosions?

Again, just asking.

The explosions are really great for No Mans Land.  Adds a lot to the immersions.  But on the repaint they detract from the impression of a more peaceful environment.

I'll take what I can get when I can get it.  it's still a gorgeous map either way.

• 3 weeks later...

Neither.  Same map name just different textures in No Man's Land.

It's like any other map repaint.  Original files are not altered when installed, the game engine is just directed to use other texture files.

I suggest installing it via JSGME.

• Thanks 1
  • 7 months later...

Anyone figured out how to get rid of the Arras explosions yet? They annoy me as i want to experiment and create a mission there, with Liz' no no-mans land active.

Arras explosions map mod.jpg

Edited by jollyjack
5 minutes ago, J2_Oelmann said:

Is it possible to do the opposite? Extension the nomansland? Fighting raged back and forth for four years over almost the complete map.

I tried that, after seeing which files LizLemon used for the original mod. It did not go well as the 'new' no mans land ended up with block edges and not merged in. Something about it I didn't understand, obviously. 🙁