No601_Swallow

Photo on the instrument panel?

So... what have I missed? How do I put a photo of my one true love (or failing that,  Angelina Jolie) onto my instrument panel?

[Edit: How do I put a photo of my one true live, Angelina Jolie, onto....]

Edited by No601_Swallow

It was in the PS at the very end of the dev diary for the update.

P.S.

To add a custom photo to your airplane or tank cockpit you should replace existing default DDS image by another one in:

<game_folder>\data\graphics\planes\<airplane_folder>\textures\custom_photo.dds

or

<game_folder>\data\graphics\vehicles\<_tank_folder>\textures\custom_photo.dds

DDS image should be 1024x1024 in DXT5 ARGB 8bpp with mip-maps

1 minute ago, Fern said:

It was in the PS at the very end of the dev diary for the update.

Many thanks! ...Got... to... concentrate... better....

2 hours ago, flyingfisch said:

What settings should I use in GIMP to export the image?

Exporting a 1024x1024 image, DXT5 compression and with generated mipmaps worked for me.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gn728 said:

There's also a how to video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq_YjPwFQlo&t=75s

So it is a ball ache then. More akin to a mod than a feature that 95% will not be bothered with.

That is really dumb this day and age. There should just be an user friendly option to drop in a photo. Why go to the effort to make it a half feature?

Edited by AeroAce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, No601_Swallow said:

So... what have I missed? How do I put a photo of my one true love (or failing that,  Angelina Jolie) onto my instrument panel?

[Edit: How do I put a photo of my one true live, Angelina Jolie, onto....]

You do realize you will get hunted down by the realism-sandanistaz here since she didn't exist in 1944?

1 hour ago, AeroAce said:

So it is a ball ache then. More akin to a mod than a feature that 95% will not be bothered with.

That is really dumb this day and age. There should just be an user friendly option to drop in a photo. Why go to the effort to make it a half feature?

You’re a ball ache. It’s hardly a half feature. We made it flexible so you guys can do whatever pic in a good res. And it’s optional.

Jason

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 11
  • Upvote 9

My version of the lowly (and free) Paint.net allows you to save an image as .dds. And... it works, so long as you choose the right options when you're saving. And you don't have to get all fancy with masks and channels, etc!

• Upvote 1

Customizing always requires a personal effort. So look at the bright side, if you really want it, maybe this is the point in your life where you get enough incentive to up your computer skills a little. Never hurts.

Or you can do as I do and not make use of this feature. Or custom skins for that matter. The game isn't any worse if you just leave it be.

• Like 2

It's not that hard and its a neat little feature. Geez.

Yikes. Who knew how much people despise having to make even the slightest personal effort...

• Like 1

Ok so I'm a dunce and the answer is probably obvious, but ...
20191001164055_1.thumb.jpg.5cafcb2e424ebbe0e2d5fc89870a6ff4.jpg20191001164140_1.thumb.jpg.3f817aa44e4465207fa471c005cbf6e6.jpg
I save as 1024 x 1024. I have a square. I add some nice old timey photo fx with a nice old timey white border to make it look genuine. But when it shows up in the game it's a rectangle and part is cut off. Should I be saving an image on a transparent background or something, and how do I know exactly what size and shape the central image should be? I am sure there is something really obvious I am missing here, but I just want Dick Tremayne from Twin Peaks to show up properly as my sweetheart. I am obviously not particularly tech savvy :p

and it's such a neat trick lol:

ac44cdd7dea0eab26d04fefbb7fd37700865ad01

Posted (edited)

T'was a piece of cake but yes, technical in that bits of software are needed and output choices need to be made. I'm using the NVidia photoshop plugin for .dds files. I learned how to save the files by guesswork (trying different output options until one of them worked when I was modding skins). The simplest bit is opening the game's photo texture (there's one provided in each plane's skin-texture folder), then copy & pasting ones own picture onto it (and aligning it top-left corner). Save-as, choose the correct options in the plugin's output window. :)

Output parameters, fwiw:

Better to have it "half baked" than not at all? Yes indeedy. Same as it's better to be able to mod the skins without an easy back-end facility than not at all. :)

Desktop Screenshot 2019.10.01 - 08.41.05.63.png

Does the job. :)

gamepic.png

Edited by J3Hetzer
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, SausMasterjimminysausage said:

I save as 1024 x 1024. I have a square. I add some nice old timey photo fx with a nice old timey white border to make it look genuine. But when it shows up in the game it's a rectangle and part is cut off. Should I be saving an image on a transparent background or something, and how do I know exactly what size and shape the central image should be? I am sure there is something really obvious I am missing here, but I just want Dick Tremayne from Twin Peaks to show up properly as my sweetheart. I am obviously not particularly tech savvy 😛

I think the generic size of the photo is 1024/1024 but what shows up in game can vary depending on the cockpit and size of the photo model in-game. I used a photo with most of it on the left hand side of the 1024x1024 and it works pretty well. You'll just have to resize your image to get it to fit.

image.thumb.png.23178dc309686c00cbcededa5ed26502.png

Edited by Retrofly
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AeroAce said:

So to get in to this, I need to learn what u are saying? 

Compare that to other games?

Yes. Or be nice, say please, upload the picture, specify skin you want it to be added into and wait until someone of the community does it for you.

--- edit ---  
I know what you mean. Easily upload a picture and let the application do the rest for you. It'd be nice, yes. But the current approach encourages creativity and will to learn something new...
--- /edit ---

Which ones do you want to compare?

Edited by J2_Jakob

2 hours ago, AeroAce said:

I can be a ball ache yes. But it is not really very easy to get a pic on your game unless you know how to do all the other programs... and have a knowledge of photo editing. 

It seems in ur gui that it should be more easy than it is,

I dont think you can say im wrong about that that.

Why did u release this feature with out a back end solution to just manage it?

Where is a definitive guide of how to do this with trusted program downloads and ....? (not just some people on youtube)?

So basically if you are a low level tech person in this department you cant do it with out activity going out there and trying to learn a lot. THAT IS WHY I CALL IT A HALF FEATURE

I love u thanks for the work you have done else where

Classic example of not knowing how to sell a flight sim to new or old users (the thing that kills it)

So to be clear, the feature is not specifically to add your own picture to the cockpit, if you read it it says "32. It's possible to display a customizable photo in all aircraft cockpits and tank cabins"
this does not read "we've developed an app that converts what you input into a picture specifically for said plane" it's an indicator that it is possible to change in cockpit photos.

it's the same as the skins.

we can modify them if you know how.

for new players it'll be a nice feature to have a photo in the cockpit and oh hey, you can modify that? i wonder if the forums will have a guide or perhaps some templates? (give it a few days yeah?)

basically if you can't do it yourself ask politely on the forum instead of throwing a tantrum at the devs who have worked bloody hard to give us some quality content and add some small features that we've asked for as a community, i'm sure someone wouldn't mind throwing something together for you if you're polite.

Pete

• Like 1

I wonder if people complaining about having to figure out a little bit of own work for a small issue like this are the same that demand Pe-2 gunners to be nerfed to defenselessness so that they can have their right to attack from behind with impunity instead of changing habits.

I think this is a great feature und I will look into it. That photo could also be a little checklist to not forget taking photos of a target for consecutive raids when bombing them like I always forget to.

8 minutes ago, Majakowski said:

I wonder if people complaining about having to figure out a little bit of own work for a small issue like this are the same that demand Pe-2 gunners to be nerfed to defenselessness so that they can have their right to attack from behind with impunity instead of changing habits.

I think this is a great feature und I will look into it. That photo could also be a little checklist to not forget taking photos of a target for consecutive raids when bombing them like I always forget to.

Speed indicators, wing span notes etc, it'll be useful certainly

2 hours ago, JtD said:

Customizing always requires a personal effort. So look at the bright side, if you really want it, maybe this is the point in your life where you get enough incentive to up your computer skills a little. Never hurts.

Just about everything I know about computers and how to use them has come from nearly twenty years of flight simming. 

Maybe there could be a sticky thread where people could request pics to be converted, but TBH I learned how to do it in about 5 minutes following a youtube video. If I can, anyone can.

• Upvote 1

I found this in Fallout 4 (a hooligan drop it), it sounds as good plan. I will stick it on my instrument panel: fTbe6smhKro8xeXr2Q8k-YbpgVwdjnn0sq_vThxN

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, bothothr said:

Exporting a 1024x1024 image, DXT5 compression and with generated mipmaps worked for me.

Could you tell us which compression exactly you used?

I am using Gimp 2.10. The built-in dds plugin does not offer the ARGB option the developers mention,

and the other options I used so far are not giving the desired result, so far.

Thx!

Never mind! The DC3/DXT5 option does the job!

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SausMasterjimminysausage said:

Ok so I'm a dunce and the answer is probably obvious, but ...
20191001164055_1.thumb.jpg.5cafcb2e424ebbe0e2d5fc89870a6ff4.jpg20191001164140_1.thumb.jpg.3f817aa44e4465207fa471c005cbf6e6.jpg
I save as 1024 x 1024. I have a square. I add some nice old timey photo fx with a nice old timey white border to make it look genuine. But when it shows up in the game it's a rectangle and part is cut off. Should I be saving an image on a transparent background or something, and how do I know exactly what size and shape the central image should be? I am sure there is something really obvious I am missing here, but I just want Dick Tremayne from Twin Peaks to show up properly as my sweetheart. I am obviously not particularly tech savvy 😛

Yeah. My first attempt was like that. So... what I've found is that (and I'll be using paint.net "technical terms" here - And it's dead easy to use! Layers and everything!) - what I've found is that the "canvas size" has to be 1024x1024 pixels, but if you take a standard portrait-type photo and align it with the left edge of the canvas, it seems to work perfectly. It feels strange, since the game only seems to display the left-hand three fifths of the "canvas", but it does work.

A bit of experimentation does the trick.

By the way, after a couple of attempts, I think I can get a photo into the game in about three minutes now. That includes adjusting the brightness/contrast (the luminosity curve) to make the photo seem older and less detailed, adding some film grain, via paint.net's "noise" effect, and making the whole thing nice and sepia. With a white border too! I'm away from my pc at the moment, but here's a pic of diminutive Australian songstress Kylie Minogue given a tweak (and shrunk to 50% size):

kylie.jpg

Edit: Curses! The white border doesn't show up, and neither does the fact that the image is in fact a square.

Edited by No601_Swallow
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

A few that I just know that I'll end up doing before going to bed tonight... I mean in addition to Mrs. Stoopy of course!

Ali Landry 
Sarah Jane Underwood
Bettie Paige
The Flying Nun ('cause we're on a holy mission)
Gilligan's Island Babe Trifecta:  Marianne, Ginger, Mrs. Howell  (will be great when PTO comes out!)
Gorgeous English blonde babes with gnarly hideous teeth for the Spit & Tempest
Oktoberfest Bier Maidens for the Axis planes.... nahhh any plane!

For night missions:
Zombierella from Messur Chups  (also good for VVS planes)
Morticia Adams  (original not the movie remake)
Elvira   (just might as well at this point)

For cool factor:
The Fonz
Ronald Reagan
Fat Jumpsuit Elvis
Guy Caballero

'Why not' category:
Granny from The Beverly Hillbillies
Werner Klemperer

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Work avoidance (with Ingrid):

ingrid pitt where eagles dare.jpg

Edited by No601_Swallow

I've done my time skinning.  I put up a 1024x1024 photo but it was cutting off the right side.  I then made it an 8x12 aspect and moved it left.  No dice, still cutting off the right side.  I shrank it quite a bit.  Nope, won't work.  It's like older versions are stuck in cache and won't clear.  I give up.

1 hour ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

A few that I just know that I'll end up doing before going to bed tonight... I mean in addition to Mrs. Stoopy of course!

Ali Landry 
Sarah Jane Underwood
Bettie Paige
The Flying Nun ('cause we're on a holy mission)
Gilligan's Island Babe Trifecta:  Marianne, Ginger, Mrs. Howell  (will be great when PTO comes out!)
Gorgeous English blonde babes with gnarly hideous teeth for the Spit & Tempest
Oktoberfest Bier Maidens for the Axis planes.... nahhh any plane!

For night missions:
Zombierella from Messur Chups  (also good for VVS planes)
Morticia Adams  (original not the movie remake)
Elvira   (just might as well at this point)

For cool factor:
The Fonz
Ronald Reagan
Fat Jumpsuit Elvis
Guy Caballero

'Why not' category:
Granny from The Beverly Hillbillies
Werner Klemperer

Colonel Klink!

I love it.

Be useful for engine parameters too I think.I can never remember settings...

1 hour ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

I've done my time skinning.  I put up a 1024x1024 photo but it was cutting off the right side.  I then made it an 8x12 aspect and moved it left.  No dice, still cutting off the right side.  I shrank it quite a bit.  Nope, won't work.  It's like older versions are stuck in cache and won't clear.  I give up.

Like I said in the oh-too-long post above, I think the size of the image has to be 1024x1024 but (because, you know, algothms) only the left-hand three-fifths-ish will appear. If you click on the silly examples I've put above, you'll see that the right hand two-thirds is blank. In fact in the .dds versions I leave them transparent (just in case!...)

Using the stock examples as a template for sizing would be a good way to go.

In the meantime, say hello to Jenny:

Jenny Agutter The Eagle Has Landed.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, No601_Swallow said:

Like I said in the oh-too-long post above, I think the size of the image has to be 1024x1024 but (because, you know, algothms) only the left-hand three-fifths-ish will appear. If you click on the silly examples I've put above, you'll see that the right hand two-thirds is blank. In fact in the .dds versions I leave them transparent (just in case!...)

Using the stock examples as a template for sizing would be a good way to go.

In the meantime, say hello to Jenny:

Followed all the sizing etc. and still received right and bottom being cutoff.  Loaded the in game custom_photo as a layer to check it and the image size was the same.  Finally shrank the image to the left hand corner with a matching mask and got it to work.  Sorry, but this was anything but easy.

Swallow, you sure that's not Bonnie?

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95