fiddlinjim

WOW-the P38 is Beautiful

Just flew the new planes and the P-38 is a beauty from inside the cockpit to the smooth way she flies.

Congrats Dev, you hit it out of the ballpark with this one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 10

Yeah, I thought the P-47 was smooth, but the P-37 is <3. The roll rate and the elevator authority is great too.

She certainly is a beauty.

Checking if you can see England from 40,000 ft from the SW corner of the map. You can't, but I'm not sure you could in real life either.

2019-9-30-20-42-40.jpg

Low over Ghent.

2019-9-30-20-51-37.jpg

Doing my first landing with a heavy fuel load on a grass field probably wasn't wise. :( I'm not sure whether it was the bouncing that did it, or a tailstrike.2019-9-30-21-0-38.jpg

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

She certainly is a beauty.

Checking if you can see England from 40,000 ft from the SW corner of the map. You can't, but I'm not sure you could in real life either.

2019-9-30-20-42-40.jpg

Low over Ghent.

2019-9-30-20-51-37.jpg

Doing my first landing with a heavy fuel load on a grass field probably wasn't wise. :( I'm not sure whether it was the bouncing that did it, or a tailstrike.2019-9-30-21-0-38.jpg

whoa, Idk why but I  didn't expect tp see that damage modeled, I mean the broken tail. Im loving this update already, and I still didn't even had the chance to download it yet

Manual water rads don't seem to work for me.  Once selected the switches stay stuck in the open or close position, they won't reset back to center- OFF when the switch is released either way.  When Auto is reselected, the switch goes to OFF, but they always go full closed after manual and she starts heating up, they refuse to regulate.  Other than that they work initially in Auto and regulate according to temp as long as you don't go manual.

Roll rate is a little tough but she's speedy and can pull a turn very well.

anybody got any tips for the elevator trim btw? i can see the wheel and dial, i've re-mapped my key to the axis but it's going nowhere.

edit: removed the primary binding and rebound to my regular keys and it's working now.

odd but happy it's working!

Edited by Melonfish

5 hours ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

Manual water rads don't seem to work for me. 

In manual mode water radiators can be fully opened or fully closed only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Im loving this plane more than I expected, hell, I ended up liking it more than the other two, which was totally unexpected to me. What a beautiful pair of engines

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

And firepower! I'll take this nose concentrated arsenal over the P-47's any day. Plus, with extended ammo you get 500 bullets per barrel! Insane ammo duration.

Big thumbs up to the P-38....🤙

In VR the cockpit and view out of the window is absolutely superb.

Loving the way it flies and that firepower is something else.

I like the feeling of weight this has really feels like flying a twin engine...🤣

This plane is a monster. lol 2x1,000kg bombs and it turns into a fighter afterward. Unreal! I have never had more fun in IL-2. Fantastic job; I will be flying the P-38 exclusively for a while :)

4 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

P38?  :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Very nice Video.....which VR HMD do you use and what´s your PC specs please?

Thanks and enjoy the new planes.

Can't believe the zoom and floatiness of such a large aircraft, and the sound of the turbos spooling up make it feel like a jet fighter.  Matches pilot accounts pretty well! 

Cockpit is great in how far down the nose you can see, which makes this thing the king of deflection shots and high angle bomber attacks.  I hate the cessna style joystick though, it's without a doubt the hardest plane to read dials in, worse than the hs129.

But those 4 50s packed together with the 20s really tear sh*t up!

2 hours ago, Roger_Meatball said:

This plane is a monster. lol 2x1,000kg bombs and it turns into a fighter afterward. Unreal! I have never had more fun in IL-2. Fantastic job; I will be flying the P-38 exclusively for a while :)

This, exactly! The pylons the 2000 pounders hang from are always there, so the only performance loss you suffer after dropping them is 2mph, from the little clips holding them down. This means you can go in on your run, dump your bombs in a single run, zoom back up and start flying cover as well as any other fighter.

And the sheer power of those two engines is incredible. Climbs like a rocket, at speed it turns VERY well even without the maneuvering flaps, and it dives like a king. Only thing it doens't quite have best is the roll, and even then if you keep your speed up those hydraulic ailerons make you roll very well. It's a winner, without a doubt. I've already turned a few fights against me and won, which is super gratifying.

I love the roar of those engines when you pick up speed, and the sound of the turbos. And those guns are murderous. Couldn't ask for more.

50 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

And the sheer power of those two engines is incredible. Climbs like a rocket, at speed it turns VERY well even without the maneuvering flaps, and it dives like a king. Only thing it doens't quite have best is the roll, and even then if you keep your speed up those hydraulic ailerons make you roll very well. It's a winner, without a doubt. I've already turned a few fights against me and won, which is super gratifying.

I love the roar of those engines when you pick up speed, and the sound of the turbos. And those guns are murderous. Couldn't ask for more.

Yeah, I dropped bombs and on my way home spotted a 110 heading to bomb friendlies, caught him, out-turned him easily for the kill. Later was on my way home again after bombs and bounced a 190 unsuccessfully, but out turned him as well; this was not a thing I could do in any other fighter bombers before this. I feel spoiled lol.

As you gain in alt you hear the turbos whine louder and louder and it makes me giggle - feels like such a high performance. machine.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Roger_Meatball said:

Yeah, I dropped bombs and on my way home spotted a 110 heading to bomb friendlies, caught him, out-turned him easily for the kill. Later was on my way home again after bombs and bounced a 190 unsuccessfully, but out turned him as well; this was not a thing I could do in any other fighter bombers before this. I feel spoiled lol.

As you gain in alt you hear the turbos whine louder and louder and it makes me giggle - feels like such a high performance. machine.

P-38 Lightning, Gran Torino of the Sky!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, workky said:

DD_Arthur, what kind of graphics card do you have?

I've got an RTX2070 paired with an i7 3930k.

2 hours ago, spitfirejoe said:

Very nice Video.....which VR HMD do you use and what´s your PC specs please?

I'm using a Rift CV1.   I'll be replacing it with a Reverb when our rip-off UK prices come down.   

What you see in these vids is not what I'm seeing  through my Rift.  There isn't really any way to reproduce that in a Youtube vid.

My graphics settings when I fly in VR are basically everything on medium and balanced.  When I fly the mission I press record on the excellent ingame track recorder.  The game will record the track in the same resolution as my VR headset which is obviously much higher than my screens resolution.

After finishing the mission,  if I want to make a video I'll uncheck the VR tab and rack all the graphics settings up to max.   Then I'll play the track and record it using Nvidia Shadowplay.

Simples!:salute: 

• Upvote 1

Ah OK good to know. I started also with a Rift in IL-2, but the strong SDE and the low Resolution made me want to change. The Reverb has a great Picture and Performance, just the brightness  and colours are unbalanced

For VR, we are still not there in real 4k resolution where the Monitors are, but it will happen in the near future…...just Need a better GPU and PCU then, maximum optimized for VR, which is still missing for really high resolution, FOV and high framerates.

I have a P-38 Question...….I can not open the Windows seperately from the canopy, even I have done a binding to both seperately. Is it not possible to open and close the Windows only on Ground? I wish we could do.

18 minutes ago, spitfirejoe said:

Is it not possible to open and close the Windows only on Ground? I wish we could do.

Only in flight.

14 minutes ago, spitfirejoe said:

Is it not possible to open and close the Windows only on Ground?

Apparently the cockpit windows could not be opened due to buffeting in flight. 

Anybody know the engineering reason there is such significant turbo lag? I.e. Manifold Pressure sits then climbs to 54 after 4-5 seconds?

16 minutes ago, =BES=Savage-6 said:

Anybody know the engineering reason there is such significant turbo lag? I.e. Manifold Pressure sits then climbs to 54 after 4-5 seconds?

It's the basic nature of Turbos, and one of their main "flaws".

Superchargers compress air using direct engine horsepower, essentially "leeching" energy away from the engine to increase manifold pressure (which in turns allows the engine to generate even more energy, thus making superchargers worthwhile), and so they essentially respond instantly.

Turbochargers, on the other hand, use the exhaust gasses to spin a turbine which then compresses air and feeds that air in the engine, thereby increasing manifold pressure. But since it depends on the engine exhaust to spin that turbine there's a natural and unavoidable delay: the engine needs to generate exhaust so as to have enough energy to turn the turbine. Ultimately the drawback for turbos is that delay, the added weight and space taken up by all this machinery, and some other esoteric shenanigans (like overrevving the turbine, stalling the turbine, and other manly mumbo jumbo :P ). The pros however are that it doens't leech any energy away, since it's a more efficient use of horsepower.

So, ultimately, it's normal. :)

Edited by 71st_AH_Yankee_

25 minutes ago, =BES=Savage-6 said:

I once had a Renault 11 Turbo that was pretty similar.

It became a much nicer car to drive after the turbo blew up:(

8 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

Superchargers compress air using direct engine horsepower, essentially "leeching" energy away from the engine to increase manifold pressure (which in turns allows the engine to generate even more energy, thus making superchargers worthwhile), and so they essentially respond instantly.

Turbochargers, on the other hand, use the exhaust gasses to spin a turbine which then compresses air and feeds that air in the engine, thereby increasing manifold pressure. But since it depends on the engine exhaust to spin that turbine there's a natural and unavoidable delay: the engine needs to generate exhaust so as to have enough energy to turn the turbine. Ultimately the drawback for turbos is that delay, the added weight and space taken up by all this machinery, and some other esoteric shenanigans (like overrevving the turbine, stalling the turbine, and other manly mumbo jumbo :P ). The pros however are that it doens't leech any energy away, since it's a more efficient use of horsepower.

Sorry, I know how a turbo works, I just don't understand the reason it's that significant of a lag.  Is it the distance of the turbo in each boom to the engine? Size of the EG inlet?

Other aircraft of that period have turbochargers that don't experience such a drastic delay.

P.S. - this is in no way a complaint, I just like to know all I can from the things I enjoy so much.

On 10/1/2019 at 3:47 PM, ITAF_Rani said:

It s really cool plane !!!

WOW

STOLE THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY HEAD THERE RANI GIRL 

1 hour ago, Krisu said:

WOW

Mind the CapsLock, please.

Great aircraft, the only issue is that it has a different glide slope for l landing, seems it doesn't want to slow down. But that's just the pilot really.

Shot one down with a G2. It was so pretty to see it fly, I went and bought BOB. Now I can shoot it down with the A8 and the 30s.

LUKE, HE'S EXCITED....YOU SHOULD TAKE A BREAK FROM THE FORUMS. IT WOULD DO YOU WONDERS.

24 minutes ago, Fern said:

LUKE, HE'S EXCITED....YOU SHOULD TAKE A BREAK FROM THE FORUMS. IT WOULD DO YOU WONDERS.

And I don't need you telling me how to spend my free time. Using all caps is poor netiquette. 

5 hours ago, Krisu said:

WOW

Krisu sorry for you I m not a girl...

real man here...

Best

Edited by ITAF_Rani

7 minutes ago, ITAF_Rani said:

Krisu sorry for you I m not a girl...

real man here...

Best

I honestly remember you being a girl. Whoops. 

3 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Mind the CapsLock, please.

Whatever that was, I hope it can't be classified as mania LOL 

On 10/1/2019 at 9:44 PM, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

Thunderbolt has the same GE turbo unit, though, located even further from the engine than in Lightning. Yet, it doesn't have such a big turbo-lag, so Savage's question is quite valid, I'm curious about it as well.