SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Pimax integration in this patch!

Hey guys,

so the Developers have adjusted the game and integrated Pimax displays natively, which wasn't mentioned in patch notes:

Canted Display support added.

Object Culling is fixed.

Size of sun more believable.

Vanishing point is fixed.

Result compared to before: Much better clarity, better performance, no more eye-strain - we can play on wide 200° FOV now with roughly the same performance as before on normal. No more Parallel Projection necessary.

The zoom mod will be adjusted as soon as Lefuneste can.

Until then, close one eye when using default function VRzoom :crazy:

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Yes, great performance boost, at least for the Pimax !

But surely a big job to make the mod work again...I was hoping that they would add more VR zoom level. Maybe for the next time !

• Thanks 2

VR zoom is also an issue with canted displays. I am not sure they fixed it for release but - close an eye and it is not a problem.

The big benefits are better clarity over distance and less demands on hardware to get decent image.

FFR is still a bit of an issue and I am not sure where the issue lies, Pimax / Nvidia / 1C/777

Also of note, at least on my paltry system, core utilisation is fairly even.  Not sure how it scales for those with 8 or more cores at their disposal but it seems resources are better utilised.  I'll find out for myself in a week and a bit when my new build comes in.

certainly, the performance is quite good now, with my setup, I can only go as far as pimax=1 60% for the supersampling before the update, but I can crank it up to pimax 1.25 atm, still 60%. I am waiting on the mod to be updated. Very excited. It would be even better if the FFR can be sorted out.

Edited by =ILS=_ppph

On 9/30/2019 at 9:02 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Canted Display support added.

That´s nice.

Where have you read that?

It is for Pimax only or it includes also Index?

Chili. I just tested with parallel projections off at 200 degrees. Fenris is right. Optimization has happened. Running much smoother.  

Edited by SCG_redcloud111
reduce font size

We would have to find out through one of the INDEX users. Also the 200 degrees sounds nice, but does it have too much distortion around the lenses' edges?

The fps has improved, but the down side for me is that the image is no longer crisp and has lost clarity and definition.  Also very much on the down side is that spotting air-to-air contacts is worse than I have ever known it!

Thing is, I have not changed my Pimax 5k+ settings, but the patch has changed my VR experience for the worse I am afraid :(

I am using the release version of PiTool, not the beta, so perhaps when the release version is updated I will get more options to change my settings.  I hope so, because at the moment I am at a loss as to how get my visual experience back to what it used to be.

Talisman

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman

Other than I can't zoom in for the search, all the others work pretty fine. I managed to get the pimax to 1.25 which smooths out the texture of the game and makes the game more beautiful. I have not experienced any downside of the update yet.

Edited by =ILS=_ppph

3 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

That´s nice.

Where have you read that?

It is for Pimax only or it includes also Index?

It only includes the Pimax. Index uses parallel projection by default hard-coded. 

2 hours ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

The fps has improved, but the down side for me is that the image is no longer crisp and has lost clarity and definition.  Also very much on the down side is that spotting air-to-air contacts is worse than I have ever known it!

Thing is, I have not changed my Pimax 5k+ settings, but the patch has changed my VR experience for the worse I am afraid :(

I am using the release version of PiTool, not the beta, so perhaps when the release version is updated I will get more options to change my settings.  I hope so, because at the moment I am at a loss as to how get my visual experience back to what it used to be.

Talisman

You need to turn off PP. You need to go with pitool 180 to have the software overwrite Valve's steamVR's stealthnerf to Pimax of max rec resolution of 4096. SteamVR downsamples because you haven't done that. 

You can follow my settings in the sticky thread, all information is in there. 

The image is crisper and clearer than any on the market except for the Reverb. 

@chili Your inbox is full, no-one can send you any PMs btw. I tried to contact you earlier but it wouldn't work. 

2 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

It only includes the Pimax. Index uses parallel projection by default hard-coded. 

You need to turn off PP. You need to go with pitool 180 to have the software overwrite Valve's steamVR's stealthnerf to Pimax of max rec resolution of 4096. SteamVR downsamples because you haven't done that. 

You can follow my settings in the sticky thread, all information is in there. 

The image is crisper and clearer than any on the market except for the Reverb. 

@chili Your inbox is full, no-one can send you any PMs btw. I tried to contact you earlier but it wouldn't work. 

So this is since the patch?  Because before the patch all was good.

Also, I am given to understand that zoom function is messed up if PP turned off.  

Talisman

43 minutes ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

So this is since the patch?  Because before the patch all was good.

Also, I am given to understand that zoom function is messed up if PP turned off.  

Talisman

Zoom works fine, just close one eye when you use it 😁

Talisman, the native zoom function is incompatible with canted displays unless PP is turnt on.

Solution is to wait for the 3dmigoto patch, or a hotfix. The devs are working very hard on many different things all the time, just released a giant update, so it may take a while. Until then, next week Lefuneste's mod will be ready again (he has to do lots of work to hunt the shaders as well), then I'll dial in the convergence and put it into the sticky thread again.

• Thanks 1

Love the view, the performance increase, the sense of depth and altitude, the clarity at distance, what a great update on my 5K+. The depth perception difference blew me away.

20 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

That´s strange, yesterday I was receiving mail from other people. In any case, I have done some cleaning and there should be room now.

Just a note with Index: Testing the same scenarios I use to compare devices (4x4QMB, Kuban Novorosiisk, High settings, no clouds, Motion smoothing off, etc) I noted better performance (95% of time at 80fps) and like a clearer view. But I could not run the recorded tracks I used for the REverb/Pimax5K+ comparison since they don´t work with the new release.

The zoom works also OK, as before.

Yeah, this wasn't the only optimisation. Performance increased slightly for everyone afaik. But this here is a massive boost. You're not having a clearer view on the Index though, that's placebo. It runs with PP enabled at all times as a default of SteamVR. That's why the ingame zoom works, it requires PP=on.

Index parallel projection can apparently be disabled by editing the config file. I will experiment with this when I get a chance. I would expect the potential benefit for Index users to be marginal as the screens are canted significantly less than the Pimax 

After some testing it is definitely possible to turn off PP for the index by adding this line:

"steamvr" : { "renderCameraMode" : "raw" },

to the steamvr.vrsettings config file.  I know it works because it absolutely f%@#$ all my other VR applications, including VR zoom in Il-2. I'm not sure how to measure any performance increase. VR performance has been good for me generally with this patch

Edited by RobCarter3
typo
  • Upvote 4