Han

Game version 3.201 discussion: Rhineland and Arras maps, Tempest Mk.V, P-51D-15, P-38J-25

Great work as always, a heart felt thank you to all the team for another monumental push to get this amazing update out for us BRAVO!  :)

Trying to update, maybe it works this time. Didn't play for months, and am really looking forward to it.

Can anybody tell me why 25lb boost on the Spitfire come with manual supercharger control? Am I supposed to hold down the push-button for second gear all the time when flying at altitude or what did they do back then?

7 hours ago, III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson said:

What is this? I've only flown the Spit a few times.

When flying a real Spit (TR-9), I found that when you pop the flaps (at roughly 110 mph) this is accompanied by a noticeable pitch down moment that you have to counter by pulling the stick back a bit. Before in the sim, it tended to pitch up a bit if flaps were released. I‘ve only done some quick circuits with it but I get the impression that trim change vs. airspeed during approach is now very close the real thing.

This is not just a nice detail, but it has consequences. While the flaps give you some reduction in minimum airspeed, big part of their charm is that they change your planes attitude by getting the nose DOWN. This way, you will not touch down tail first when flairing her out. (And in som aircraft you can still see ahead.) I wonder how this will affect flying style on online servers, as flaps actually take away alpha, rather than give more of it (as it happened with the pitch up moment before).

Right now, it seems to me that all the way to where she stops flying pitch input vs. lift is very convincing.

This update is truly a remarkable work.

• Like 1

Are the cockpit photos only for BoBP planes?  They don't seem to be present in the eastern front planes I've looked at.

8 hours ago, Avimimus said:

It is pretty realistic... It kindof does motivate us to get a Typhoon eventually though...!

Yep... Typhoon is on Wish list as #1

Posted (edited)

How do you get the rudder pedals brakes to work in the Mustang?

Edited by Thorns1

Congrats to a new pilot physiology model :) , a new theatre, and the new allied plane set! Keeping WW2 simulator fans happy!

45 minutes ago, Pwner44 said:

Are the cockpit photos only for BoBP planes?  They don't seem to be present in the eastern front planes I've looked at.

All planes.

2 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

All planes.

Huh, I must be doing something wrong then.  Good to know it's for all planes though, it's a small feature but it seems like a great little touch to add.  Now if only I could do it right...

I woke up at 5 clock in the morning and the patch was finally loaded and installed. So I could try everything for 2 hours before I went to work.

The general flair of the map is really convincing. The ground textures are outstanding. Likewise the topography. If I fly over the  dams between  the hills here where I live it seems completely credible.

I also do not notice any significant performance loss.

However, I can not deny a certain sterility of the map. Here are simply missing individual farms and villages between all the cities.

Is there anything else to come in this regard?

I like the Arras map as well. Especially in regards of the no-man's-land I was very worried after the screenshot from the last DD that it could look just like in Rise of Flight. But there you can see a clear improvement. The textures are of course much better. Even the transitions to the intact landscape with individual scattered craters looks really good. You can see fortifications and shelters. However, no 3d trenches.

Overall, that's fine but compared to the no-man's-land in WoFF, it still looks too uniform.

That's complaining at a high level though. No question.

The team has done an outstanding job in an incredible short amount of time. 

Second to none in the flightsim business!! 

I am already looking forward to flying again the Mustang and Tempest tonight and discover all the other improvements. :)

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Thorns1 said:

How do you get the rudder pedals brakes to work in the Mustang?

If the real thing and its DCS rendition are comparable to BoX counterpart (haven't flown it yet), you have to move the stick forward to unlock the tailwheel (and steer with diff brakes), or pull the stick to switch the tailwheel to +/- 6 degrees steerable mode.

Unless you're talking about issues with re-binding controls (some people are reporting that already), then someone else will have to help you, as I will be able to test the update only later that day.

Edited by Art-J

1 hour ago, JtD said:

Trying to update, maybe it works this time. Didn't play for months, and am really looking forward to it.

Can anybody tell me why 25lb boost on the Spitfire come with manual supercharger control? Am I supposed to hold down the push-button for second gear all the time when flying at altitude or what did they do back then?

See item 15. You have me to thank for this little detail 😁

4xg5U6i.png

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, DN308 said:

Yep... Typhoon is on Wish list as #1

Well, Typhoon is fine... but i hope that we'll have Me410, Ju188 and Arado 😇

P. S. Wet dream - He-177 and B-24/B-17 + Lancaster. 😍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ADorante said:

First flight over the forest area where I used to live. Nice. Also saw the train bridge (i.e. its predecessor) over the river Wupper that I used last tuesday. Of course I notice or seem to perceive some aberrations and missing objects in this area, but I can live with that and not loose sleep over it. It's just so cool to be able to use this map for sightseeing.

Living at the river Wupper I'm sad, that the oldest town in the region, Wipperfürth, is not modeled but it's smaller and uglyer neighbortown Hückeswagen actually is... ;)

In the end, the navigation lights of the 109 were manufactured in Wipperfürth which make it an valuable military target eh? ;)

Just kidding. The map is gorgeous. But it remains a slight ache in the heart, seeing our neighbortown.... It's a local competition thing between two cities you know? 😂 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Piro53 said:

Im finding my Trim up and down options aren't even working. i rebound to the new ones and they dont work. any ideas?

You have to mapping keys for trim as well. 

Great update it brings countless hours of playing to figure out every detail included and game improvement.

I have a question: do you guys plan to make a winter version of Rheinland map? Operation Bodenplate happened in the heart of winter and it was a very snowy winter....

19 minutes ago, FAW-Tromplamort said:

Great update it brings countless hours of playing to figure out every detail included and game improvement.

I have a question: do you guys plan to make a winter version of Rheinland map? Operation Bodenplate happened in the heart of winter and it was a very snowy winter....

I believe the devs have asked for help with the weather as it had been forecast in the fall and winter of 1944/1945.

Posted (edited)

I think they forgot to mention the 190A5 textures were also upgraded. 

Finally got this update installed. About to fire up the Stang and see what all the hoo haa is about.

Edited by Danziger

1 hour ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

Living at the river Wupper I'm sad, that the oldest town in the region, Wipperfürth, is not modeled but it's smaller and uglyer neighbortown Hückeswagen actually is... ;)

In the end, the navigation lights of the 109 were manufactured in Wipperfürth which make it an valuable military target eh? ;)

Just kidding. The map is gorgeous. But it remains a slight ache in the heart, seeing our neighbortown.... It's a local competition thing between two cities you know? 😂 

Don´t worry they have missed out on other important stuff. I guess they might be editing it in if they think it is worthwhile. Nevertheless the map is absolutely gorgeous:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Don´t worry they have missed out on other important stuff. I guess they might be editing it in if they think it is worthwhile. Nevertheless the map is absolutely gorgeous:

sad, but very very true.

9 minutes ago, [ugly]Ghost0815 said:

Will we see also Rheinland, Fall and Winter later?

Yes, all four seasons on the map.

Hi. Something is wrong with the Mustang's cabin. The top edge is far too low. This is the movie from a cockpit: 

Of course, from the point of view of the webcam above the forehead. So, in fact, it should be lowered, which is further emphasized by the fact that with a Mustang cabin something is wrong.

Also don't forget folks, the P51D also gets 150 Octane fuel.

Both Maps are works in progress as is pretty much everything in the sim as time goes by.😁

S!

Great update! Had a couple hours at it last night. Concentrated on the 100km sight distance (+ 30km building distance) feature first, because I've been waiting this since day one. The situational awareness has gone the roof with this one, a big thanks for this.

But, as always, room for improvement. Currently, you can see a planes 3d model from very far away (>50km) , but when you zoom on it, it either stays at the exact same size, or even reverts to a little dot. This makes assessing distances practically impossible. It would be better if the very distant plane would start as a dot, and when zoomed enough (or by getting closer) it would become a small 3d model.

Another bug I found that somewhere under 10km, prolly around 4-6km, the closing in plane disappears for a second or two, and then reappers again, so there might be gap in LOD levels? This happened several times last night.

Otherwise, I love it! Next will test out the new planes...

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, DN308 said:

No rockets for the Tempest... That's sad

Tempest never had rockets, the Typhoon did.

von Tom

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OPS_Lipas said:

Hi. Something is wrong with the Mustang's cabin. The top edge is far too low. This is the movie from a cockpit: 

Of course, from the point of view of the webcam above the forehead. So, in fact, it should be lowered, which is further emphasized by the fact that with a Mustang cabin something is wrong.

Nothing is wrong. Use keys to correct position of head - del, ins, page up, page down etc. Save that by F10 key. 

Edited by I./JG1_Baron

Regarding the concealment of the icons against the airframe and objects... Did I missed a tick box in the options or does this new feature not work in VR? 

Everything works awesomely. Stang is sweet. Were there new sounds for firing rockets? Sounds more awesome than I remember but could be ol Placebo Domingo I'm hearing. The maps look great! Honestly everything kicks ass and that means the dev team kicks ass. Right now there is nothing more fun than running through a bunch of B25s with rockets and cannons with the D9 and watching some just fall to pieces in flight and watch the pieces fall to the ground in a very convincing realistic way. All the textures of the new planes has come to a new level. I've only flown a few quick flights in the QMB but so far everything is just amazing. It's really awesome to see how far this game has progressed since Stalingrad.

It is cool that we can use Arras map with ww2 aircarft too. 

I haven't tested Tanks much, but i found 1 bug. When crossing a bridge in Köln (Cologne) , my T-34 is floating above it. Not a big deal, tho.

I'm tempted to to learn mission editor. It  looks complicated, but i want some farms and country villages plus whatever makes missions more impressive for Tank battles.

It is not fun to see empty villages and towns. I know, this is a flight simulator mainly, but Tankdriving game (quite expensive) too. But i'm sure that Tank Crew will be amazingly fun, when it is ready. It is fun already.

For me the best part of Rheinland is South East.

Next thing is to check new AI and all the other newbies. .  

Cheers, Kapteeni

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [ugly]Ghost0815 said:

Will we see also Rheinland, Fall and Winter later?

winter.png

28. Object markers can be blocked by landscape and objects, including own aircraft or vehicle;

Did anyone manage to get this working? Markers are still visible through objects for me, and I can't find any options to toggle this on/off either.

@ DEV TEAM.

the P-51 flies really very very nice and is made just perfect, also the whistling Sound is amazing when you pull some more G´s and increase the angle of attack.

I have 1 suggestion which needs to be added…….. after parking, when you have turned off the engine…..it is a NORMAL STANDARD PROCEDURE in a P-51 to pull the Hydraulic Pressure Release Handle to depressurize the hydraulic system! It´s the small handle labeled "Pull" next to the hydraulic system gauge.

After pulling the handle, the hydraulic system gets depressurized, which is done for safety, that the Landing Gear can not be retracted accidentially on ground after parking!

Another effect of depressurizing the hydraulic System is, that after doing so the gear doors will open and come down, because they are held closed by hydraulic pressure. If you see a P-51 parked with closed gear doors, then you know that the pilot forgot to pull the pressure release handle.

PLEASE ADD that! Thank you so much!

5 hours ago, Piro53 said:

Im finding my Trim up and down options aren't even working. i rebound to the new ones and they dont work. any ideas?

Yes, I had the same with the trim. To make them work now after the update.....you need to bind the trim axis to a button, switch or some key aswell in the key binding Options....that is NEW and is valid for all trim axis.

44 minutes ago, I./JG1_Baron said:

Nothing is wrong. Use keys to correct position of head - del, ins, page up, page down etc. Save that by F10 key. 

You're wrong. Lowering the view causes fading the view of sight reticle.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Talon_ said:

See item 15. You have me to thank for this little detail 😁

4xg5U6i.png

I see at the top left of the page that the amendment leaflet for this publication (including 150 Octane fuel) was issued in September 1944.

Great update dev's :)

Many thanks and congratulations to all the team.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman

Posted (edited)

The BoBp Map is really great, I was flying over it for hours from south to north. Flying in real life myself all the time from Frankfurt I can see many details like in real life.

I live near Frankfurt and I can tell the topography is top notch, I can clearly see the "TAUNUS mountain" area with it´s highest mountain FELDBERG and also the ODENWALD area outside of City of DARMSTADT.....the mountain MELIBOCUS. Very nicely done. Great Job on all that.

Also all 3 new airplanes are a gem. I love them all 3. The P-38 is soooo nice. The Tempest flies like a rock. Great update and Great Job. Thank you @Han and your Team for giving us all of  this.

Edited by spitfirejoe
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Fantastic job, devs. The P38, P51 AND Tempest fly really well. If I had to make any criticism, it would be....why aren't there any rockets in the payload for the Tempest?  After all, if it was used in the ground attack role, it would be fairly useless with only two bombs

3 minutes ago, No.85_Camm said:

Fantastic job, devs. The P38, P51 AND Tempest fly really well. If I had to make any criticism, it would be....why aren't there any rockets in the payload for the Tempest?  After all, if it was used in the ground attack role, it would be fairly useless with only two bombs

14 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Tempest was never really equipped with rockets outside of a few field trials.

3 minutes ago, No.85_Camm said:

it was used in the ground attack role, it would be fairly useless with only two bombs

It was almost exclusively used as a strafer, only carried bombs in the last week of the war, never carried rockets during the war.

• Upvote 1