Han

Game version 3.201 discussion: Rhineland and Arras maps, Tempest Mk.V, P-51D-15, P-38J-25

56 minutes ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

@Talon_I still would like to see the damage model improved on it and realistic torque on takeoff. I watch many documentaries about pilot accounts taking even much canon fire from FW’s and the P-47’s damage model has improved since this video last December https://youtu.be/KVoQI3lFPLk

A couple of tweaks and this plane would be brilliant! I am anxious to see how the DCS model will compare once it comes out!

I hope it is not Robert S. Johnson because I saw the pictures of his P47 and there is only two visible 20mm hits (rudder and behind canopy) plus few MG holes. He probably was so scared that he tought he survived a thousand shots when talking about this later that night on the bar. 😂😂😂

Edited by 6./ZG26_Gielow

Anyone else have seizure like flickering while loading in VR?  It is fine when it finishes, but I have to close my eyes or look away. O+ on 2080. We always have had some weird things before (flicker, shift, etc.) , but not constantly while loading. 

I've always had the VR flicker when I initially boot up the game. But I figured out that every other loading instance if I was flickering was because I recently changed a setting in steamVR. Forgot what the setting was.

1 hour ago, sonicapollo said:

Anyone else have seizure like flickering while loading in VR?  It is fine when it finishes, but I have to close my eyes or look away. O+ on 2080. We always have had some weird things before (flicker, shift, etc.) , but not constantly while loading. 

Are you using SteamVR Beta?

That was the cause for me on a 2080, reverting back to the release version of SteamVR (opting out of Beta) solved the issue.

• Thanks 1

Hi Guys,

Quick question. How do i read the P-38 fuel indicators. When adding both left and right for both gauges i never come to 416 gallons. Is there another gauge, or does it start to indicate after a certain amount of fuel has been expanded. 

Thnx

M

vr + new patch + multiplayer = begins to be a not very pleasant experience. Too blurry, too much movement, I don't know, airplanes that I love and I can only fly them with dignity outside the multiplayer. Let's wait, tomorrow will be another day.😪

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On the day Bodenplatte was released, with the long-range viz stuff, the ability to spot and see white dots was like radar, and plus you had very noticeable inverse zoom.  Intrigued by it at first, after about an hour with it, I decided it was far too gamey and I hated it.  That wasn't even a week ago.  It was my understanding that the last HotFix re-implemented this as "Alternate Visibility" option, with only some minor changes to the original.  I've spent a couple of hours playing with both Normal and Alternate now, and it seems that Alternate vis is very different than the 100k stuff we were getting on the initial release.  Could just be the ligting conditions of my tests compared to the multiplayer server conditions I first saw it on, but I don't appear to be getting the over-the-top, ultra long range spots, not seeing the horrific inverse-zoom, no "SAM launch" effect, etc.  I welcome that as a good thing, because whatever we had at original release struck me as comically arcade, but I have to say I'm thoroughly confused about it now.  What is the actual difference between the Alternate Vis we have now, compared to the vis system we had upon initial Bodenplatte release?  I'm trying to understand it better and account for any Placebo perception.  My monitor is 3440 x 1440

Edited by SeaSerpent

5 hours ago, =gRiJ=Alado said:

vr + new patch + multiplayer = begins to be a not very pleasant experience. Too blurry, too much movement, I don't know, airplanes that I love and I can only fly them with dignity outside the multiplayer. Let's wait, tomorrow will be another day.😪

on my VivePro the blurriness went away when I switched to Sharp filter for landscape. But it's SteamVR VivePro... however people with WMR may have completely different results...

also, I noticed on the servers with 'alternate visibility' option (i.e. without the 100km spotting turned on) the performance is OK in MP.  However, any server I join that has the distant spotting the VR performance drops by 30-40%... (5.1gz 8700k + 2080ti  2100mz).

41 minutes ago, moosya said:

on my VivePro the blurriness went away when I switched to Sharp filter for landscape. But it's SteamVR VivePro... however people with WMR may have completely different results...

also, I noticed on the servers with 'alternate visibility' option (i.e. without the 100km spotting turned on) the performance is OK in MP.  However, any server I join that has the distant spotting the VR performance drops by 30-40%... (5.1gz 8700k + 2080ti  2100mz).

Your at missunderstanding here, both visibility options alow teoretical 100km visability.

Differance is that with alternate visability ON (normal realisam setting ) you can see contacts in game from thouse far distances mutch easyer as they are big.

And when alternate vis setting is turned OFF (like it is on expert setting, you have what developers belive is most realistic option), contacts get slowly reduced in size as they get far from you, you can see them depending on conditions from far but not as far or easy as when this option is turned ON like its on normal realisam setting.

On 10/8/2019 at 4:57 PM, 6./ZG26_Gielow said:

I hope it is not Robert S. Johnson because I saw the pictures of his P47 and there is only two visible 20mm hits (rudder and behind canopy) plus few MG holes. He probably was so scared that he tought he survived a thousand shots when talking about this later that night on the bar. 😂😂😂

Go here for his interview 

https://www.historynet.com/world-war-ii-interview-with-ace-pilot-robert-s-johnson.htm

from the interview 

(Also, none of the German fighters were as rugged as a P-47. When I was badly shot up on June 26, 1943, I had 21 20mm cannon shells in that airplane, and more than 200 7.92mm machine-gun bullets. One nicked my nose and another entered my right leg, where the bullet split in half. I still have those two little pieces,

The feature where an assigned skin for the player in a SP mission or Scripted Campaign is broken again.

This feature breaks every other release and it's quite frustrating for mission builders. Can we take a look at this?

4 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

Your at missunderstanding here, both visibility options alow teoretical 100km visability.

Differance is that with alternate visability ON (normal realisam setting ) you can see contacts in game from thouse far distances mutch easyer as they are big.

And when alternate vis setting is turned OFF (like it is on expert setting, you have what developers belive is most realistic option), contacts get slowly reduced in size as they get far from you, you can see them depending on conditions from far but not as far or easy as when this option is turned ON like its on normal realisam setting.

ok a misunderstanding I guess, but with this alternate visibility setting you're speaking off I can't spot anything far away in VR, just like in the pre-3.201 patch version, hence I call it "distant spotting" and "alternate spotting, aka no spotting at all" 😄 .  I'm sure on 4K monitors the 'expert' spotting looks great, but in VR it's simply not there, the pixels don't show up beyond the 3-4 km's.  And that's the VR impact I'm talking about.  I'm actually happy, just FYI 😄

I have been reluctant to mention this as it involves mods.

Since 3.201's release I have been getting errors on both the Kuban map and the Rhineland map when starting a Quick Mission or any mission, even those I make.

I get an error message that such and such object can't be found.  Often they are objects already in the objects list.  It's a different object with every mission start.  After choosing one of the aforementioned maps and clicking 'Start' the game hangs on the loading screen as soon as the error message appears.  I have to Ctl+Alt+Del to end the game.

This is when I have mods enabled.  If I disable mods there is no problem.  And it's a "Mods Enabled" thing.  I cleared my mods in JSGME but left "mods enabled" on.  There were no mods loaded into the JSGME but the same thing happened as when they were so it's not a specific mod, just the fact that the game "sees" mods enabled.  The mods I use are some visual enhancement mods like the "Old Sky" mod and mostly icon mods to help me see things without those gargantuan default arrows with way too much information, I just want to see where the planes are not who, what, where and how high they are.

Now being as it's a mods issue do you think this is worth mentioning to the dev's?  I'm afraid that they will ignore it as it's a "mods thing", something the tolerate but do not fully endorse.

So should I report it?  Is there a workaround?  Or is this something that the dev's will 'fix' eventually. 

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

• Upvote 1

We are not responsible for Mods problems. Some may work fine and some may not and we do not test for compatibility. We have enough troubles with basic testing.

Jason

• Upvote 2

Jason it's not about actually using mods.

You can run a fresh installed, unmodded game, and just tick the "Enable mods" switch on, without ever actually adding any mod.

In that condition, when for instance I play a quick mission on the Rhineland map and fly low above Cologne in a P-38, when I turn my head around quickly, the game pops up a message window with an error message complaining about certain objects (random ones) that cannot be found.

Turning around my head quickly further on, 2 or 3 errors later the whole graphics driver restart (Nvidia) and the game CTD's.

I have yet to witness the same thing with "Enable mods" unticked.

From a programmer's point of view, it feels like the game is running out of file handles internally when trying to access/scan files from the dedicated "data" folder.

In comparison, for most of these files the game will not have to scan that folder if "Enable mods" is unticked, as it would load the object from gtp archives regardless then.

Other possible cause would be that it's exceeding the OS file handle limit, but that seems less likely.

:drinks:

Mike

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, moosya said:

ok a misunderstanding I guess, but with this alternate visibility setting you're speaking off I can't spot anything far away in VR, just like in the pre-3.201 patch version, hence I call it "distant spotting" and "alternate spotting, aka no spotting at all" 😄 .  I'm sure on 4K monitors the 'expert' spotting looks great, but in VR it's simply not there, the pixels don't show up beyond the 3-4 km's.  And that's the VR impact I'm talking about.  I'm actually happy, just FYI 😄

Have a look if you are using SteamVR in the VR forum section for a possible fix.

Had me going from no spotting visibility till under 2km back to 9km out pending on the aircraft selected in QMB under realistic spotting.

Terrain is back to lovely self too.  That on a Pimax 8K.  Before it was a blurry vomit even with sharpen filter selected.

Hope it helps.😁

As for Devs - sorry for the earlier vents, seems to be a poor coincidence on the part of SteamVR updates and Hot Fixes combining to cause headaches.😬

Just now, blitze said:

Have a look if you are using SteamVR in the VR forum section for a possible fix.

Had me going from no spotting visibility till under 2km back to 9km out pending on the aircraft selected in QMB under realistic spotting.

Terrain is back to lovely self too.  That on a Pimax 8K.  Before it was a blurry vomit even with sharpen filter selected.

Hope it helps.😁

As for Devs - sorry for the earlier vents, seems to be a poor coincidence on the part of SteamVR updates and Hot Fixes combining to cause headaches.😬

that supersampling thingie? It's unchecked in my SteamVR client.  Maybe it's persistent in the users folder though, i'll double check. Thank you!

Yeah, there was some advance SS Filter in the Dev section of SteamVR but I think this is just a new filter to reduce Aliasing.  Might be ok for The LAB but it sucks for us.

I noticed one of the hotfixes corrected an issue where the b25 wasn't counting as killed in the game client. However, I've noticed that some of the new ground assets don't count either. I haven't looked at everything, but I've encountered the issue with the m16, the gmc-cckw and the m1a1gun-aa. 

Strangely enough, they do produce entries in server logs when testing, so would be picked up by vaal's stats,  just not within the game client. 

Very happy that SP and performance has had some attention in this update, thank you. I'm buying BOBP in support and in the hope of more SP enhancements

Regards,

M

On 10/7/2019 at 12:48 PM, IckyATLAS said:

I noticed a sound bug with the P51D. I saw no comments on that in the forum.

Sound is ok in the cockpit. But when the plane is looked at from the outside (key F2) the sound become weird in certain orientations of the plane.

Let's say that we count the angles from 0 to 360. As seen from the cockpit (pilot view) 0 is right in front, 90 is on the right and 180 is on the back.

When looking from the outside say between 280 and 360, and between 0 and 80 the sound becomes strange  with an additional weird double peak sound on top of the engine sound. This two peak sound repeats itself every few seconds if you stay in that area around the P51. When you exit that view area and go more at 90 degrees or wing side and back this additional noise disappears.

I do not know if others have noticed that. This issue does not exist with the Tempest or P38.

Yep, heard that one too, but with the glitch being audible only in F2 cam in certain narrow range of angles, I guess most poeople either haven't noticed it yet, or consider it to be too low priority to be bothered about it.

That being said creating a dedicated thread or post in bug reporting section of the forum might come in handy.

Probably very late on the issue guys, but I noticed that in DW190D9 there`s a bailout procedure bug? I pressed bailout buttons in high G/speed situation - the canopy fell off but the pilot did not jump, even after the plane started flying leveled and below 300kph. Dunno if this concerns other planes aswell.

9 minutes ago, Mac_Messer said:

Probably very late on the issue guys, but I noticed that in DW190D9 there`s a bailout procedure bug? I pressed bailout buttons in high G/speed situation - the canopy fell off but the pilot did not jump, even after the plane started flying leveled and below 300kph. Dunno if this concerns other planes aswell.

From what i could see in all airplanes speed limit is around 400kmh ias, did you press bail out again when you got below that speed and unload Gs, so you can press bail out at any speeds or conditions and canopy will blow away, but if conditions for bail out are not met pilot will not bail, so you need to press bail out keys again when conditions are meet, so if you only press key once when conditions where not met pilot would not automaticly bail when thouse conditions are met if some longer time pased. I could bail from d9s at speeds close to 400kmh on differant alts, similar like in other airplanes i tryed.

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2019 at 11:50 AM, SAS_Storebror said:

You can run a fresh installed, unmodded game, and just tick the "Enable mods" switch on, without ever actually adding any mod.

In that condition, when for instance I play a quick mission on the Rhineland map and fly low above Cologne in a P-38, when I turn my head around quickly, the game pops up a message window with an error message complaining about certain objects (random ones) that cannot be found.

Turning around my head quickly further on, 2 or 3 errors later the whole graphics driver restart (Nvidia) and the game CTD's.

I have yet to witness the same thing with "Enable mods" unticked.

I have to say myself and my squadmates run the game almost exclusively in Mods On mode and none of us have had this.

Neither have we had any problem so far with installed mods.

Probably it's a couple of circumstances that have to come together. Hard to tell from a player pespective.

Maybe you and your squad mates don't have TrackIR, don't use "Ultimate" settings, don't fly low above Cologne, have a more powerful GPU than me (GTX 970 here) - god knows.

I cannot reproduce that issue each and every time myself, but it definitely happens to me every now and then, just by running that QMB "free flight" mission above a crowded area like Cologne down low above the city.

I can definitely rule out any installation issues as I have both reinstalled the game from scratch and let Steam check the local files (which yields no issues).

"Normal" gameplay on any other mission didn't show that kind of issue yet, it's really just the isolated edge case of flying low above very crowded areas and moving my head around quickly with TrackIR.

Mike

I'm on RTX 2080 and even though the latest update helped a bit I 'm still experiencing some nasty stutters when zooming, turning the camera, making hard turns etc. At first when those stutters apeard quite some time ago I thought it could be caused by that I had IL-2 on my HDD so I moved the install to SSD, but the problem persisted, I lost any hope to find a solution as I tried everything so far, frame limiters, pre rednered frames set to 1,2,3, lowering settings...nothing helped, so I bumped everything to ultra and don't care.

Edited by Korowiov

3 hours ago, Korowiov said:

I'm on RTX 2080 and even though the latest update helped a bit I 'm still experiencing some nasty stutters when zooming, turning the camera, making hard turns etc. At first when those stutters apeard quite some time ago I thought it could be caused by that I had IL-2 on my HDD so I moved the install to SSD, but the problem persisted, I lost any hope to find a solution as I tried everything so far, frame limiters, pre rednered frames set to 1,2,3, lowering settings...nothing helped, so I bumped everything to ultra and don't care.

Folks who are complaining about stutters need to also understand that it may not be graphics related.

1. Try flying on one of our older maps.

2. Try flying with no AI or less AI. 
3. And when making such statements we really need to know what update are you referring too exactly. Main update or hotfix.

Jason

16 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Las personas que se quejan de tartamudeos también deben comprender que puede no estar relacionado con los gráficos.

1. Intenta volar en uno de nuestros mapas más antiguos.

2. Intenta volar sin IA o con menos IA. 
3. Y al hacer tales declaraciones, realmente necesitamos saber a qué actualización se refiere exactamente. Actualización principal o revisión.

Jason

Sorry, but you have problem to fly in multy? If no, show us your configuración, and your pc.

My comments are not about MP. But if your stutters are purely MP related you need to say that in any complaints. Vague comments do not help me understand where there may be a problem.

Jason

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

In MP I experience microstutters when the server is busier and when other player or AI are around, and around cities. The Rheinland map is more common for stutters. My SP microstutters are very rare now after adjusting my settings but they are more frequent in MP. I think there is a combination of graphics related stutters especially on the Rheinland map that can be fixed by graphic adjustment, and then stutters that come from online play that aren’t entirely due to graphics.

Not sure if this helps with the discussion but I had some pretty severe stutter in online matches and had to do a couple of things to mostly get them to go away. The first was a RAM upgrade from 8GB to 16GB. That helped a bit but not as much as I had hoped. What really moved the needle was going from a GTX 960 to a GTX 1070ti and I think the biggest factor there was VRAM (2GB to 8GB).

This patch plus the hot fixes hasn't appreciably changed the stutter on my system (now a slightly aged Core i5 6600) when in multiplayer. However, I still get a slight stutter when a large number of players is around. It's far less than before but it is there. I haven't counted exactly but I would guess its more than 6-8 players. Once it gets higher than that I get a little stutter - even after the hardware upgrades.

I think there's multiple things happening. Obviously it's not purely GPU (the guy with the GTX 2080 has obviously more graphical capabilities than I do) but there may be an interaction between graphics, especially VRAM, and then something happening on the network side of things when a large number of players come together. That I think is the key thing. You need more than 5. Maybe more than 10 in say a 10km area or smaller for it to start to cause problems.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Not sure if this helps with the discussion but I had some pretty severe stutter in online matches and had to do a couple of things to mostly get them to go away. The first was a RAM upgrade from 8GB to 16GB. That helped a bit but not as much as I had hoped. What really moved the needle was going from a GTX 960 to a GTX 1070ti and I think the biggest factor there was VRAM (2GB to 8GB).

This patch plus the hot fixes hasn't appreciably changed the stutter on my system (now a slightly aged Core i5 6600) when in multiplayer. However, I still get a slight stutter when a large number of players is around. It's far less than before but it is there. I haven't counted exactly but I would guess its more than 6-8 players. Once it gets higher than that I get a little stutter - even after the hardware upgrades.

I think there's multiple things happening. Obviously it's not purely GPU (the guy with the GTX 2080 has obviously more graphical capabilities than I do) but there may be an interaction between graphics, especially VRAM, and then something happening on the network side of things when a large number of players come together. That I think is the key thing. You need more than 5. Maybe more than 10 in say a 10km area or smaller for it to start to cause problems.

When you went from a 960 to a 1070ti what was you fps increase? I have a straight 1060 and I'm thinking of going to a 1070ti too, I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

4 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I think the biggest factor there was VRAM (2GB to 8GB).

I think for GPU induced stutters this is a very valid point.

It's been my feeling in the past already (and I think I expressed it a couple of times) that having to swap textures in and out of VRAM when too many objects are within visual distance contributes a lot to microstutters.

Playing online, you might just have a bigger chance to meet more different planes using different (even if they are stock) skins so this might match the issues, too.

Mike

• Upvote 1

I started capping my FPS to 80 instead of letting the game go as high as possible so the variation between fast and slow rendered frames isnt as severe. Works like a charm. I dont get dips in fps as much and when I do they go by just about unnoticed. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2019 at 5:41 AM, Beebop said:

If I disable mods there is no problem.  And it's a "Mods Enabled" thing.  I cleared my mods in JSGME but left "mods enabled" on.  There were no mods loaded into the JSGME but the same thing happened as when they were so it's not a specific mod, just the fact that the game "sees" mods enabled. 

I've noticed similar "erratic" issues with mods-on mode even when I don't actually have any mods enabled and whilst I am far from sure of the cause I'm starting to suspect some sort of memory or cache clearing issue. There are occasions it seems that JSGME is not wholly removing all of a mods files when you disable that mod within JSGME.

using the game to turn all mods off seems to avoid the issues but makes it impossible to clear one mod whilst still using another, other than disabling all mods then turning mods off to clear the memory and then re-enabling mods and applying only those you do want.

If this is the case it might be said that the problem isn't directly the fault of IL-2 but the way a third party mod enabler interacts with IL-2

15 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Folks who are complaining about stutters need to also understand that it may not be graphics related.

1. Try flying on one of our older maps.

2. Try flying with no AI or less AI. 
3. And when making such statements we really need to know what update are you referring too exactly. Main update or hotfix.

Jason

It's the main update that helped to reduce those stutters. I tried flying with no clouds, no AI and graphics reduced and it's present on all maps, the problem appeared way back, I think somewhere around BOK. It seems like my PC can't load the objects fast enough (when zooming, turning the camera etc., diving when above a city) and then there's a stutter, after that I could fly above the city for hours and FPS never drops. I'm well aware it could be some weird, hidden problem with my own setup.

I finally had the time to enjoy the update. It is a beautiful pirce of software. Outstanding job by all concerned. Very much looking forward to the final content, winter map etc.