Han

Game version 3.201 discussion: Rhineland and Arras maps, Tempest Mk.V, P-51D-15, P-38J-25

51 minutes ago, Uufflakke said:

By the way, where are the bridges of Maastricht?

Maastricht.thumb.jpg.aa3e6345f7440ccb9f3e602b07153a82.jpg

https://www.maastrichtdigitaal.com/bruggen

RHCL-collGAM-25655-1945ca1947.jpg

That's not all that's missing. I haven't seen bridges at Kanne vroenhoven and Veldwezelt either..

12 hours ago, JG4_dingsda said:

That's what this is for:

ca_ju87.PNG.5eabffb8ec7f08437c35d321497f8989.PNGca_ju88.PNG.2992169719a72551fd21aced65f538d7.PNG

:ph34r:

I compliment the devs for enhancing their environment in such a nice way, that the use-case of (a formerly gimmicky) system is revealed as a sideline. :) 

[more on this: 1, 2]

Very true. If the physiological requirements become more exigent,  it is necessary to reproduce that system at simulator. And i don't understand either why exist a lot of BF 109 versions and just one Ju-87,  when we have an entire Great Battle in Moscow...  (there is life beyond dogfights)

• Upvote 1

P38 has a very weird stall behaivour with full flaps.

If you nose down with full flaps it enters an unrecoverable negative stall unless you add power. Ive not seen an aircraft in this game do that before, is that a "feature" / quirk of the p38 or is something wrong with the FM? :salute: 

Honestly, this update is just epic.

8 vs 8 Ace AI Tempests and Mustangs vs D-9s

- On tail of D-9, he turns hard and seems to ‘goose’ a little (grey-out, loss of speed?)

- Land a few hits on his tail, but am going much too fast and grey out myself as I overshoot

- Look over shoulder frantically, to see him pulling lead

- He wobbles a little, yawing, then straightens as I roll to try and let him past

- He tries to roll and match my scissors

- I reverse and his nose wobbles again, recovers, wobbles then jerks upward as he has a high-speed stall and starts to flat-plate

- His elevator flies off as he pulls too hard on the stick and he ‘frisbees’ for a split-second

- My wingman arrives at great speed and lights his engine in a hail of holy Hispanno Mk. V

- D-9 spins sadly to the deck, shedding pieces from his burning carcass

- Silent, snowy shockwave marks his end as I pull up and reverse back into the engagement

Honestly, that could be a page out of a pilot memoir and it was JUST AI.

Edited by EAF19_Marsh
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't know if anyone else has this issue but since the update my "M" map function no longer works. I checked the settings, it's properly mapped. Now a heck of a time to find the airport.

This is the greatest step since many month. Absolute amazing work. I live in South-West-Germany and can say: The new Rhineland-map is fantastic realistic. So much thanks to the developer-team! You made an awesome job!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 12:05 AM, danielprates said:

This Napier Sabre engine is the one that was developed from the failed 'vulture' that powered the Avro Manchester, right? If so, it has 24 cylinders in a double-V configuration, is that right?

No Daniel.

The Vulture was a rival power unit being developed by Rolls Royce.

Yes, it was a double-V (x-shape) with two rows of exhaust ports on each side.

BB.

Apologies if someone else has already replied.

2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Back on Page two of this thread; this pic is Ella Raines ...a Seattle born actress of the late 1940's one of a crop of actresses signed in Hollywood to try to duplicate the drowsy bed room-eyed style & success of Lauren Bacall at Warner Bros...others included Lizabeth Scott, Yvonne DeCarlo, Nancy Guild plus a few others.Most were used to fill out the then  (& still) popular film noir films of that period 1945- 1952 or so , and most like starlettes even today had after a big studio build up a rather short shelf life with the exception of Ms Bacall who was probably the best of the lot & remained acting well into maturity..Ms raines eventually returned to teach acting her at the University of Washington.

Lauren Bacall is one of my wife's favorite actresses from this time period, in part because they both have / had deep voices for a woman. 

Edited by LukeFF

1 minute ago, Bladebender said:

No Daniel.

The Vulture was a rival power unit being developed by Rolls Royce.

Yes, it was a double-V (x-shape) with two rows of exhaust ports on each side.

BB.

Apologies if someone else has already replied.

Someone has, but then I asked another question and was left hanging. Maybe you know: the version on the Tempest had how many cylinders?

1 minute ago, danielprates said:

Someone has, but then I asked another question and was left hanging. Maybe you know: the version on the Tempest had how many cylinders?

Sabre is also 24.

5 minutes ago, Bladebender said:

Sabre is also 24.

I ask this because wikipedia mentions different Sabre versions with different number of cylinders.  And by the looks of it, it seems incredible that such a big engine could fit that cowling!

2 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

I don't know if anyone else has this issue but since the update my "M" map function no longer works. I checked the settings, it's properly mapped. Now a heck of a time to find the airport.

This update disabled some of my keyboard options. I have not problems with the M map,  but the pitch trim down assigned on my joystick is not working well (  and the joystick is fine). I guess I should do a complete reinstall

23 hours ago, Ouky1991 said:

Elevator trim doesn't work (on the new planes only). Does it have different name in settings or what am I missing? I'm using buttons, not axis.

I did not change a thing on T.A.R.G.E.T profile of my Warthog and all trims work just the same for the new planes as they did for the older ones. Only one difference, when I hit nose up trim on P-47 the numbers go from negative to positive, on new planes (51, 38, Temp) they go from positive to negative........... still works the same just numbers are 180° out of phase.  Which does not bother me in the least.

Cheers

Hoss

little disappointed with the P-51.  Not sure how they came up with some of the cockpit stuff for the D model.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

I had the same problem but eventually got both the small maps in game to work (M + Joystick button) and also manage to get the full-size map from the first heading in Key Settings but can’t remember what the nomenclature was. Not home at the  moment but will check later on and let you know if You haven’t got the solution by then.

1 hour ago, TAFFY said:

little disappointed with the P-51.  Not sure how they came up with some of the cockpit stuff for the D model.

You mean other than the USAAF manuals? Can you be more specific?

1 hour ago, TAFFY said:

...exhaustive research and reference...how did you come up with your comment?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TAFFY said:

What do you mean? Only thing  I find odd looking is the cockpit framing compared to DCS, but other than that the Mustang looks excellent.

9 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Back on Page two of this thread; this pic is Ella Raines ...a Seattle born actress of the late 1940's one of a crop of actresses signed in Hollywood to try to duplicate the drowsy bed room-eyed style & success of Lauren Bacall at Warner Bros...others included Lizabeth Scott, Yvonne DeCarlo, Nancy Guild plus a few others.Most were used to fill out the then  (& still) popular film noir films of that period 1945- 1952 or so , and most like starlettes even today had after a big studio build up a rather short shelf life with the exception of Ms Bacall who was probably the best of the lot & remained acting well into maturity..Ms raines eventually returned to teach acting her at the University of Washington.

All of these and more would make great snapshot pinups for our cockpits, if only i knew how to do it quickly & easily.years ago  BTW CloD had this option as well...

c807ce2e4cfcc9019eb3fc74f58e6d19.thumb.png.a18d844470551669528a8559a1893628.png

Have you never seen The Munsters?

No more mixture handle in Spifire IX? 🤨

15 hours ago, Arfsix said:

Thank you for pointing to my work. Could you tell me what part of my listings you updated so that I may correct them?

Hello Arsfix my template was not built off yours. I've been updating mine for quite sometime. Better two than none! I did not check your keys, but I know mine are ok, I suppose yours's are also ok. 

Cheers.

1 hour ago, vino said:

No more mixture handle in Spifire IX? 🤨

AceySxw.jpg

These are the pilot notes for the IX, XI and XVI. See the paragraph about the throttle control. There was a discussion in the thread for the update that added the IX to the game that was about the prop control and I posted that there. Added the entire pilot notes into this post for you should you wish to peruse. Now that I mention, that's something to see on the IX when I next get some flight time, have they stuck with the early prop control (not complaining if they did as have no idea what date separates the early from late aircraft) or moved to the interconnected type?

Pilot_Notes_-_Spitfire_IX,_XI,_XVI.pdf

Though must say no mixture control, no radiator control, really does make this thing easy mode doesnt it. :lol:

Edited by Oliver88

8 hours ago, danielprates said:

I ask this because wikipedia mentions different Sabre versions with different number of cylinders.  And by the looks of it, it seems incredible that such a big engine could fit that cowling!

I've never heard of non-24 cylinder Sabre version, nor do I see it mentioned anywhere on wiki page (?). The ones used on Typhoons and Tempests were 24 anyway.

Edited by Art-J
typos

11 hours ago, Blitzen said:

All of these and more would make great snapshot pinups for our cockpits, if only i knew how to do it quickly & easily.years ago  BTW CloD had this option as well...

c807ce2e4cfcc9019eb3fc74f58e6d19.thumb.png.a18d844470551669528a8559a1893628.png

Great, how can i open the file? i cant open in photoshop.

Thanks

Edited by OREL_Shifty

6 hours ago, pilotpierre said:

also manage to get the full-size map from the first heading in Key Settings but can’t remember what the nomenclature was.

In game settings under Service "Show/hide mission briefing" = letter O.

1 hour ago, Art-J said:

I've never heard of non-24 cylinder Sabre version, nor do I see it mentioned anywhere on wiki page (?). The ones used on Typhoons and Tempests were 24 anyway.

Tempest II's and Sea Fury's had the 18cyl Bristol Centaurus radial engines, no? I've never heard of a non-24cyl Sabre either. 🤔

^ You're right about Centaurus, of course. By "the ones used on Typhoons and Tempests" I was refering to Sabres only.

Edited by Art-J

2 hours ago, OREL_Shifty said:

Great, how can i open the file? i cant open in photoshop.

Thanks

Hey Shifty, you need to download a .dds plugin for Photoshop. I know Nvidia used to offer one. Pretty easy to track down, it'll be free so no need to worry about coughing up any extra, just google "photoshop .dds plugin" and you should find it.

1 minute ago, =SqSq=Sulaco said:

Hey Shifty, you need to download a .dds plugin for Photoshop. I know Nvidia used to offer one. Pretty easy to track down, it'll be free so no need to worry about coughing up any extra, just google "photoshop .dds plugin" and you should find it.

Hi, great thanks, can you please tell me the site, where is it to download. If its possible.

Regards

Peter

1 hour ago, =BAIT=CG_Justin said:

Tempest II's and Sea Fury's had the 18cyl Bristol Centaurus radial engines, no? I've never heard of a non-24cyl Sabre either. 🤔

Maybe this is why I mixed things up. Thanks!

I’ve been finding Intel Texture Works to do the job alright also. https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-texture-works-plugin (think this is the link). Decided to use this over the NVIDIA one, cannot remember my reasoning at the time though.

Edit: Looking at the two again I believe I chose this because it’s more recent and also supports later versions of PS (which I am on) while seeming to do grand job quality wise.

Edited by Oliver88

On 10/1/2019 at 6:20 PM, Han said:

Short demo of the new feature.

Sometimes I am getting huge FPS drops (+50 frames) when the effect activates. Then after a ~10 seconds the frames recover to steady 75.

Edited by 6./ZG26_Gielow

Hello, beautiful Update :)
I have a question but I do not know if it's the right place ... This is not a complaint, but a simple question.
Can we hope to have "Camo" base skins for P38 and P51?

Best regard

Buzz

• Upvote 1

Love this update 😀 thanks Devs, Jason and all the others who contributed.