Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

Nic727

2 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

This is amost surreal.

It sure is...especially for anyone who remembers the original MSFS on the old AT PC's.

What was the default runway called again, the one in the lake at Chicago iirc :) 

• Upvote 1

ZachariasX
30 minutes ago, Pict said:

It sure is...especially for anyone who remembers the original MSFS on the old AT PC's.

What was the default runway called again, the one in the lake at Chicago iirc :) 

Meigs Field. It doesn‘t exist anymore as an airfield. I remember that one… on a WANG laptop on a blue an gold monochrome screen. 

• Upvote 2

SYN_Vander

I can always recognize Chicago in movies because of me flying in MSFS 4.0 from Meigs LOL

• Upvote 2

LuseKofte
35 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Meigs Field. It doesn‘t exist anymore as an airfield. I remember that one… on a WANG laptop on a blue an gold monochrome screen. 

That was my first experience with PC and flightsim. Up in Svalbard in 1995. 

We where in Svea and moved 11 house to Longyarbyen . In the livinquarter they had a pc running MS flight sim. I was amazed. 

Keyboard only

• Upvote 3

busdriver
22 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

That’s a shame.  For me it has been relatively painless and I’m having some of the most enjoyable flying experiences I’ve ever had.  

Until today every update had been painless. The Update wasn't showing up in Microsoft Store. Checked out their updated Known Issues having done all of the steps in Download and Installation Issues Part 1 and followed all the steps of Download and Installation Issues Part 2 I freed up several Gb from my SSD.

Like my hero @216th_Cat...my fun meter is pegged. Plus I need a faster ISP.

Feathered_IV

Busdriver, I had the same issue with the installer not showing up in the store page.  It seems to be a store bug that many people have reported.  The fix is to install the “Xbox” widget from the store, run it once then exit it and go back to the store and hit the Get Updates button again.  After that the store wakes up and FS starts downloading like it should.  I got it going that way in less than a few minutes.  

busdriver
28 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Busdriver, I had the same issue with the installer not showing up in the store page.  It seems to be a store bug that many people have reported.  The fix is to install the “Xbox” widget from the store, run it once then exit it and go back to the store and hit the Get Updates button again.  After that the store wakes up and FS starts downloading like it should.  I got it going that way in less than a few minutes.  

I tried that. No luck…no worries.

• Sad 2

LuseKofte

My feeling about this is the same as Busdriver.

No worries. It get sorted in due time. I have no feeling of missing something. But at some point I fix this and fly something

• Upvote 1

Been a while for me with this one, but got it all updated and had a go with it again yesterday after finishing the DCS Hornet campaign I was flying.

Took some adjustments to get it to run ok in my newer Vive Pro 2 but it is looking pretty good. I had forgotten how gorgeous and real the scenery looks in it.

Going to do some tweaking with it off and on over the next few days and finish getting my controllers setup to my liking.

16 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

That's the one...how could I forget...other than it was over 30 years ago :biggrin:

ZachariasX
15 hours ago, busdriver said:

I tried that. No luck…no worries.

Can you tell me where things don't work anymore?

I had twice the situation that it didn't didn't want to start, but then I started the sim by opening the MS store and then it could start:

1959140330_Screenshot(1393)1.jpg.bfd8c0e3bf2bf5f80adbb75560be95f7.jpg

The update I usually only see by manually clicking on the three dots in the upper right corner, selcting "downloads and updates".

Also, it is most important that when you start the sim normally and you get prompted by UAC that you approve the access and in case you are running the sim not in an admin priviledges account, you enter the admin password for processiong of the update. I skipped that once becuase I felt I didn't want to wait for the update this time, and that was a mistake. From then on, it didn't want to update anymore and it didn't want to install anymore. What mendend it was:

• Sign out MS Store
  • Sign out XBox
  • Unistall XBox
  • Restart
  • Download XBox App and install
  • Sign in both Store and Xbox, launch via Store as shown on the screenshot above.

• Thanks 1

OMG trying to get back into this sim and the controller setup for a HOTAS is about the most convoluted I have ever seen.

Just trying to assign trim to buttons on a stick is unbelievably difficult. Also can't get any exterior views to work (VR).

VR toolbar toggle - when on I can select ATC no problem, selecting any of the others results in an in the face dual image that is useless. Not sure what is going there as it used to work for me previously.

Much frustration.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1

busdriver
3 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

Can you tell me where things don't work anymore?

Certainly...nothing worked to get the update. I followed each step of the troubleshooting pages...reading the steps out loud to make sure I was not skipping something. I uninstalled the sim. I'm not angry or upset.

I just got Nightfighter Ace in the mail, so I have plenty to keep me busy.

NFA.thumb.jpg.417c19b89d15efeec28e689041fc3f0a.jpg

Plus I'm anxiously waiting for Theo Boiten's Nachtjagd Archive series to arrive.

It's all good. Actually better than good. :good:

• Like 2

Feathered_IV
4 hours ago, busdriver said:

I just got Nightfighter Ace in the mail, so I have plenty to keep me busy.

NFA.thumb.jpg.417c19b89d15efeec28e689041fc3f0a.jpg

Plus I'm anxiously waiting for Theo Boiten's Nachtjagd Archive series to arrive.

It's all good. Actually better than good. :good:

Nice!  Birds of a feather there.  I’ll have to check out the night fighter game.  Would be curious to know your thoughts on the Theo Boiten book when it arrives.  I have his earlier one called Blenheim Strike and it’s a treasure. 

I am about ready to crap can this flight sim.

One minute it's fine, next with no changes it is a total stutter fest. This is nuts.

Edit: Yeah this one I think I am done with. This is totally nuts, can't even run it now a total slide show.

And this reducing the res down to like 2200x2200 per eye.

I did try doing a verify of Steam Integrity, it did that then it showed me needing all the world updates again, so I got them again.

Thinking the whole thing may just be borked now who knows.

If I uninstall it this time it will be the last time. I posted over on their forums will see if anybody can enlighten me a little on this.

Edited by dburne

ZachariasX

I think the MS Store is about the most mismanaged thingy under the sun. Given the place it has and how "popular" it actually is, that tells a lot. All the issues mentioned in this thread about the sim are frequent occurrences, and most originate from the store and XBox side of things. That MSFS manages to get 2.5 stars in the store further calibrates how often it works. So far, I have been (mostly) lucky.

But that is just corporate life. A great product is the best place for applied mismanagement. You can't do this with things that are hard to maintain in the market.

20 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Would be curious to know your thoughts on the Theo Boiten book when it arrives.

Actually it's a newer series published by Red Kite Books. Fairly pricey. It's the kind of series with details I wish Martin Bowman could produce. 

1194878800_NJArchivepage.thumb.jpg.8bda71d708eb9b8c751ac82f273b0905.jpg

• Like 1

Some more flying with the DC-6. From Panama via La Paz to Lima and from then on... to an impromptu alternate in the friggin' Andes.

While it is getting panfully obvious that the current state of the SDK and its possibilities regarding the creation of a good FM are somewhat, ehm, restricted, this bloody flight sim world still still can make up for it. It can give you conditions that make you reconsider your flightplans.

But as a first leg, I filled her tanks with a good margin of fuel to bring me to La Paz. You can always dump fuel. Aerial refueling is not an option here.

1.thumb.jpg.03d8e8fc67a66ea6e61a3abefdd2274b.jpg

My flight plan was to at least fly initially around the mountain ranges. As long as the plane is heavy, it is less desireable to make a try and fly above the weather, espacially when all that hard stuff like mountains might be in the weather. And I can dial in the NAV beacons over much farther distance.

2.jpg.7d6e45a5fbd4e57a43d2c3b13c1d1c62.jpg

"Live" flying gives me very early morning starts. Bloody thunderstorms. The crate s heavy and the runway is only 2.4 km. Worse, there are rather intimidating hills at the end of the runway. If I push it too hard and lose an engine... Better not think abou that.

1018020943_Screenshot(1262).jpg.ccefd0164634a0656cb993fcd214f4eb.jpg

After everyone in the cabin lifted their butts a bit after takeoff. I made it (barely) over the hills and I'm turning toward my desired heading.

1057837070_Screenshot(1265).jpg.8dbd2e29e166394da0354a7f8a40fd79.jpg

Weather is lousy, but I find a place to fly. As the sun rises, it also clears up a bit. at least above 18k ft. altitude. I have almost no view of where I am going.

1040720066_Screenshot(1270)RioAmazonas.jpg.8dd55064d994dc5d52d67d34ead6fbb8.jpg

I cross what most likely is the Amazon river. But other than that, it is a sea of clouds.

742784765_Screenshot(1275)cuscoausangate.jpg.957b4377c9f5af0e3347f8a63c3ed759.jpg

It clears up once the terrain under me starts to rise. Near Cusco, I have a view of the Ausangate, the white mountain at the far right of the white mountains, the Vilcanota mountain range. With a height of 6'348 meters, a cruising altitude of about 21k ft suddenly doesn't seem that high anymore.

353029977_Screenshot(1285).jpg.41dde59382207f343c79ea2a3f12c888.jpg

All that high altitude flying uses a lot of fuel. Flying over Lake Titicaca means I have only a short way to go, so Iim fine.

1413629184_Screenshot(1292).jpg.e9692da1a638bb914022a6d4a3c80c35.jpg

Tuning in to La Paz tower brought a bad surprise. I wanted to make a straight in approach uing the ILS. But tower sends me around the other way. It seems windy down there.

1699429135_Screenshot(1294).jpg.d7b262c4c5176d510efa8872fb0446f3.jpg

Coming up the valley back over the cliff indeed made things interesting, but once you have her in trim on apprach, it's fine. A looooong runway helps as well.

2061468371_Screenshot(1296).jpg.6f601882bfcba3ac4adcde4d720aac4e.jpg

A good arrival.

1871994678_Screenshot(1298).jpg.9b48f35d98a350e0f047f23b45fccb01.jpg

Slight detour to come in from the other side. As said, still a good arrival.

However.

Taking off again was an issue. I had to make a prolonged stay here, because first, the aircraft would freeze up like a popsickle and then it was impossible to start the engine at this altitude. I waited and tried again when it was warmer. At least it wouldn't freeze over on the ramp, but the engines were impossible to start, even auto start failed.

..Then... *PMDG updates*... Lo and Behold, I could start the aircraft.

Unfortunately by then, I was tasked to fly to Lima. About the max distance that a sane fuel load would allow if you have passengers on board. A bit of a backtrack on my course. But since it was close, I figured going with very little fuel and stay on the low blower until I crossed the Andes. It restricted my max. altitude in practise to ~17'000 ft. But that should work. Right?

1303339339_Screenshot(1300).jpg.92eb9d95578cb2e1dedf20bcc7659784.jpg

Lining up, toggle water for wet start... slowly max. throttle... WHATT??? I get about 42 inches MAP and less BMEP that I would set on normal cruise! I get nowhere near where water injection would be needed. Slowly, slowly it gets faster. These are the shortest 4 km I have ever seen. There are houses at the end of that runway.

473326067_Screenshot(1301).jpg.af5ca128cfbd27bb72c6ba13bca2f153.jpg

I lift her with brute force, but she manages.

1178815512_Screenshot(1302).jpg.f8f8afa3964221a2e44a7cbd2ec0fd3f.jpg

I have to ease up quickly on the elevator. It felt like skimming the rooftops. As soon as I go over the hillside I dive her to get some more speed. Ugh... I shouldn't have put all that baggage aboard.

1721908542_Screenshot(1316).jpg.005486977e5874d2ab9c3f73c1ba2b3e.jpg

I turn her around and fly back the way I came. I can go to about 16'000 ft., less than expected...

1401294324_Screenshot(1318).jpg.acb2eb31bffd6b79f438769e91f00606.jpg

Flying on the low blower around Cusco. Throttle firewalled. I shall have it much easier past these hills.

1499792085_Screenshot(1320).jpg.8f2e2740c457ebd0c1766530ccc253ad.jpg

Shall I? All I brought with me is the heading course. I figured I just go that way until I hit the coast. Ok, where's the chart? I hope there's VORs in these clouds and not mountains.

596273834_Screenshot(1322).jpg.7460f4c8566956240d31d3149f636f98.jpg

I was lucky. That was hen I saw the ground again. Thank God. And the ILS. This is Lima, in NEVER rains here! I was there when it rained. They told me that it was raining because I didn't notice it. But then I noticed a very slight drizzle. If it was really reaining, like, rain in England, then this place would have been shut down. There is no drainage in the streets. At least none that I could see.

742175210_Screenshot(1326).jpg.a8b8936b0efa509569ce2358d3e7513f.jpg

And another one like me at the gate. If you buy an aircraft, MSFS uses them to place at airports you visit...

1498858445_Screenshot(1327).jpg.acebe10fa12447de230b21eb2887a69f.jpg

That was interesting, but not too hard.

But now, I want to fly to Rio de Janeiro. That really stretches it in terms of distance and climb. So I filled her to the gills. No space for many passengers then. But At least I can take off from sea level and have all the power.

975984024_Screenshot(1328).thumb.jpg.9fe579178a35cb4e5aea319d7f8fd350.jpg

Weather is still miserable. It's not raining, but the view is... not optimal.

395913477_Screenshot(1331).jpg.db290026c8d2de331436b83d429e2836.jpg

Taking off. The worst of it is really just over the airport. Where else?

915556397_Screenshot(1332).jpg.9d03ad9c09bcd260688425f22e492ca9.jpg

I climb at high power settings, I'm trying to push it. And... *pooofffff* my engines break. All of them. I suddenly get only a fraction of power from them and I am so heavy I can barely hold altitude. I can't get off this plateau. Where to go? Where? There's an airport, the map says.. But I can't spot it after turning in that direction. I get some power back and I turn toward La Paz. But I cannot hold my altitude. There's another airport on the map, not far, with an ILS, yey!! I might find that one. But with these mountains, tuning that localizer in will be difficult...

1300028458_Screenshot(1334).jpg.0afda0d96c2a1a223475f6da20690238.jpg

I know that the airport is to left of that lake. Andahuaylas (SPHY), 2.48 km of runway, I should be fine. But the crate is still about 50 tons in weight. This is the first time that I actually dump fuel on the DC-6. I open the floor panel and pill the handles, hoping to lose enough to make for a safe landing.

1308058717_Screenshot(1335).jpg.6dbdfdf9efe2d00fa17aae9b14615fb4.jpg

Thank God for the ILS. Where is that bloody runway?

520716152_Screenshot(1337).jpg.43a906825df5f0b14098cd5666b200f6.jpg

There it is. Engines are almost dead now, but I manage to stay in the glide slope. Tanks are almost empty and I close the dump valves.

1847953350_Screenshot(1339).jpg.4b13986dd6f990e43f5fbd7367f8630c.jpg

As soon as I touch the ground, I hit prop reverse ("lower water rudder" function to map on a button, for the ones interested) and power up as much as the engines still give me and I come to a stop in time. Then I taxi to the parking. Puh, that was a busy time from the engine failures to touchdown.

1358037856_Screenshot(1340).jpg.f969f288e5e61d7d358a9fdf158ac194.jpg

I didn't even make it as far as back to La Paz from Lima. My first reaction was taking a larger airport one things went south. The only one was Coronel FAP Alfredo Mendívil Duarte Airport (SPHO), but that one only has an NDB as a beacon. Once I could get some power back from the engines, I thought I might make it back to La Paz, but no way and Andahuaylas (SPHY) was the last resort. With an ILS. Set descend power (about all I had left) and intercept the ILS some 4'500 ft. above the airfield at 15 nm distance and then make a normal approach. You can even set the Sperry to follow the ILS. Correct power and flaps settings usually then make for a good arrival.

Now, there I am. I wanted to go to Rio and now I am stuck on an airport with half the runway of La Paz. At least I am at 1'500 ft. lower altitude. One has to look at the positive side of things as well.

But for now, I have to repair my "very tough engines" again.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Just to update I did get it running better after I did a Steam Integrity check.

Spent most of yesterday and today flying around with it in my home state working on getting my settings about right and controller inputs more how I want them.

Much better mood now lol. Will still do some more testing and tweaking of graphics but I am getting there.

It can't handle the full Vive Pro 2 resolution at least currently, but I have it dialed in pretty good now and it is really gorgeous flying around in VR.

I should be able to squeeze some good leisurely flying time with it off and on over the next few weeks.

So yeah I am much more calm and starting to enjoy this one some now. My problem is too many good flight sims and too little time. And I be retired!

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Bremspropeller
11 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

You can always dump fuel

Spoiler

Zach's adventures really make me want to fly the Hump some day...

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Do you guys use real time air traffic in this sim or AI traffic set to a percentage?

I am thinking using AI might be a little better in performance department? Going to try changing to AI at 50% and see how it does.

Still tweaking on my end and flying in VR I need all the performance gains I can muster. Trying to get it smooth at the highest resolution setting I can.

Currently running resolution in sim at 60 for my Vive Pro 2 with TAA.

Edited by dburne

4 hours ago, dburne said:

Do you guys use real time air traffic in this sim or AI traffic set to a percentage?

All set to "live". In FSX that "AI" part was a killer for framerates. But with real time traffic, I don't see much impact in the framerates. I have to test wat AI does in that regard.

46 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

All set to "live". In FSX that "AI" part was a killer for framerates. But with real time traffic, I don't see much impact in the framerates. I have to test wat AI does in that regard.

Still testing and tweaking but seems I might have gained a little when changing to AI - I set it to 50.

Have got the resolution on my Vive Pro 2 up from 60 to 75 now, going for 80 next. It is really looking good now for me.

Ok so with my higher resolution Vive Pro 2 it could not handle 80, it was stuttering and I can't have that. And I really do not want to lower the settings any further than I already have.  But at 75 is it silky smooth and really gorgeous. That is app 3080 per eye in Steam VR. Now I will just try upping graphic setting one at a time testing with same flight in between and see how it does.

But now I am really happy with the results I am getting in this sim in VR. I've come a long way with it in the last couple of days.

Once I am settled in I will enable live traffic rather than AI and see if it has an effect.

• Upvote 1

Ok, in my DC-6 back an route... to... Well. I am stuck at Andahuaylas (SPHY). I am at almost 12k ft. altitude and I have 2.4 km of usable runway. Should I choose to take off in the direction I landed, meaning into the wind, then I would be driving uphill on the runway toward further hills.

648589231_Screenshot(1423).jpg.41fc532fca1106d4d3dc65f54ef1c426.jpg

When I read the manuals of the DC-6, it appears that there is a special place in heel for peeps that do takeoffs on the high blower. @Dakpilot would know I guess. I did that once and made a glider landing on the same runway. Here, it is probably not an option. While my 20 PAX are feeding the Llama (without hat, I hope), I remember that I actually did a successful takeoff in Hammerfest at 50 tons weight and with only 800 meters runway. Because I had a cliff to help me.

That's the plan: I do lft her in ground effect at the end of the runway and then make for the valley to the right. There's two ways to do it.

107726684_Screenshot(1424).jpg.3edd39df06f6cbc174d97c554a3dbcde.jpg

If things are just SNAFU, I might follow the green path, just in case I can pick up some speed in the dive, enough to climb the little pass in front of the lake. The lake will give me some additional meters to accellerate on the straight to aim over the ridge behind it. From there on, the valley is steep and almost one kilometer deep.

If things are worse, I might follow the red path down the valley, but that one has a very tight past the town (at the arrowhead). I don't feel like pylon racing in a loaded DC-6 at partial power.

But the green strategy looks so good to me that I opt for Rio de Janeiro as destination! If we all in the tube hold hands and breath, it will work.

1636958708_Screenshot(1357).jpg.9cee884b0b34094a2a432d23549c1eda.jpg

Good to go! barely 45 inches... and slowly... slowly I pick up speed. Half way down the runway I thoroughly regret putting all that weight in the plane, but going to La Paz and explain what happened... no way!

1597720940_Screenshot(1358).jpg.fd8c972d7b34e6e6251c6568f7f93832.jpg

Argh..!! Almost a tail strike when I ripped her off the runway and now I just drop her, it doesn't really fly anymore.

1607532560_Screenshot(1359).jpg.668c58a3740a734ba5f4ac8efbdebb65.jpg

But diving did the trick, almost 165 knots! Now I have to pull her over the pass to get her over the lake.

1171580334_Screenshot(1360).jpg.8bcbcc52f1ccba18fa0ed304db9a052f.jpg

There, the little gap at the far side of the lake, I make it through there, I made it!

756429100_Screenshot(1361).jpg.4e2ae0e15cd76d4ec384636565a4b55d.jpg

Everybody back in the tube is to scared to puke, I'm sure.

1339133663_Screenshot(1362).jpg.94ded02706e1ac3ea27a1ea003d1682f.jpg

Yeah!! Made it! Rio it is!

949667864_Screenshot(1363)_LagunaLanguiLayo.jpg.f6f47334eb57327c557ad6b88ec56972.jpg

But first I have to make it past La Paz. Laguna Langui Layo to the left... Lake Titicaca far ahead. But the Andes are much more welcoming flying on the high blower.

29224478_Screenshot(1368)Bolivia.jpg.7e16eb841cbd36b1d8a9b84607ca870e.jpg

Over Bolivia, it is impressive how extended agricultural land is.

1495761641_Screenshot(1372).jpg.21eb1eaecced7cdd3e375b96fd5be1de.jpg

Weather is nice and PAX can fight for the only can of beer that is available for them. It's all the crew can spare for them.

1151740265_Screenshot(1373).jpg.0175502d9053bab9e370e6530566f14e.jpg

It's just nice when things work as intended for a change.

1490164630_Screenshot(1377).jpg.19b814e71deb2ea1fe10c3af1cb23589.jpg

Night sets in... Rio! A sea of lights ahead.

348342644_Screenshot(1378).jpg.56ade4e3b91be4dd97491f3acbbee85e.jpg

I plan for an overhead while getting a runway from the tower.

960666018_Screenshot(1384).jpg.941c2f0ade282af8104bfb888e51836e.jpg

Runway 28. I set the radial for opposite course  during the overhead and fly an extended downwind to enter the ILS at the correct altitude.

1306504579_Screenshot(1387).jpg.eb0d895ebe7889c550ded6e2da866324.jpg

In good company.

That was something. Now... Buenos Aires next!

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Bremspropeller
On 9/9/2021 at 8:01 PM, busdriver said:

Is this significantly different to the older two-volume (one black one white) war-diaries?

Edit:

Nevermind, I already pulled the trigger. It's going to be another expensive month 😅

@ZachariasX is that DC-6 next to yours an AI aircraft?

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

@ZachariasX is that DC-6 next to yours an AI aircraft?

Yes, that is most likely an AI aircraft. The sim aparently does spawn aircraft you own on airports. Because it is the livery that I am using, I'm rather sure that it is AI. In other instances, I came across other DC-6 with liveries that I don't own. It is a popular aircraft and if you have other online players visible, you see them. Once on my route here, it was at LAX, where I parked next to another player with the other available SWISSAIR DC-6 livery for the DC-6A. This was quiet likely another player.

4 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Bloody hell Zach.  For pity's sake, pack more booze next time!

It was not about amount, I just altered the distribution. And I told the PAX to pray that I wouldn't alter the distribution any further.

I am really having a good time with MSFS, desite the occasional butterflies in the stomach when running uodates. It's fair to say that it is not the actual "flying" that makes this sim such a nice proposition. The FM are all a bit meh and there are far, FAR better arcraft modules available for P3D. But it's not that. It is actually more about venturing around in a world that is constantly changing, that constantly challenges your plans and sometimes rewards you with absolutely gorgeous visuals. Here, for the first time, just going places can actually be a grand challenge. Especially when you start your journey prepared as naïvely as they were 80 years ago.Things that may seem trivial, but indeed have the potential to kill you. In the real world, flying is hard work, requiring thorough preparation. In the sim, I can just take off and find out that hard way how much of an idiot I was coming up with the idea of the actual flight plan.

It is also some sort of a memento mori. The need for methodic palnning in real life, as there are no second chances even to things that seem easy. A good flight is an uneventful flight. Here, i can tolerate events. And enjoy them as entertainment. But not every flight should be a lethal challenge. Sometimes, I find it nice just to hang in there and enjoy the view. So that should be my next one.

Rio (Galeao-Antonio C Jobim International, SBGL) to Buenos Aires. I plan on landing at Jorge Newbery Aeroparque (SABE). It apears to offer a scenic apporach along the coast. RWY 13 even features an ILS.

281004588_Screenshot(1395).jpg.5e9aceee10f2e219229a7b2a10e17f4a.jpg

That was the idea. Down all along the coast. After having learned the hard way that standard load of beer can be a critically little amount for monkey class in the cabin, I loaded the aircraft generously this time. I figured, I could save on fuel if I flew on the low blower at maybe 12k ft., I both have a better view and a better economy, leaving more space for diluted alcohol. Distance is a mere 1000 nm or so. Looking up the fuel planner, it appears that 16'000 lbs of fuel will do it then.

430359938_Screenshot(1398).jpg.bdd7f7967a40773d0f8d8d13b6f3c0d2.jpg

Early morning departure. Although the weather featured a surprisingly dense overcast, it still provided a nice sight. Off I went and started the climb down along the coast toward Sao Paulo.

1450527418_Screenshot(1400).jpg.9fd9df0f52367e15e431e69c3471c05e.jpg

I quickly reached 12k ft, but then I had *this* ahead. I didn't order that! Where's the manager? Ah, well. I have a big aircraft. Beer for everyone.

66870999_Screenshot(1401).jpg.030841ec34f6a3dc4d902963cfa955bf.jpg

Hmm.. man that got turbulent! I shouldn't have brought that beer. That will be work getting the tube clean again. But as I climb and drop all the time on autopilot, I see that even with a DC-6, it becomes unlikely that I'll make it through that and decide to climb above the weather. As I reach 14k ft. I notice that I can't hold the aircraft anymore. Speed drops, it wouldn't climb. Prematurely, I flick on high blower to get 45 inches and METO power again. As the aircraft refuses to climb even on high blower, all I can think of is Air France and being remembered as "the one who didn't know how to fly his aircraft".

Ah... I only put on the window and radar dome de-ice. Could it be that...?

1928205633_Screenshot(1403).jpg.c0b106e870f064df5194f54a0bffbfff.jpg

An ice cube above Sao Paulo. The DC-6 has a couple of gas stoves mounted in the fuselage. I can heat the propellers with electricity as well. Everything on.

596210256_Screenshot(1404).jpg.5be30d66857b9c041bf7ac04dc6d63bc.jpg

It took a good while at high power to get above the weather. at 22'000 ft. I saw the sky again, but I had to climb to 29'000 ft. to really be above it all, some 5'000 ft. above reasonable crusing altitude. The Boeing 377 Stratocruiser is a much different beast. You can fly at 34'000 ft with ease. But now I am getting worried about my fuel load. I made the plan for some casual nice low altitude bimbling.

1594979172_Screenshot(1407).jpg.c7b43f1448c19ad13cb1a5fc40211629.jpg

For a short while, the weather cleared up, here just near Florianópolis, crossing inland again.

114342261_Screenshot(1408).jpg.5863d2c5dbf44794f460655118a0e37b.jpg

But as soon as I am over the continent, weather draws a blanket again. At least this time at low altitude and I can pick up some speed with a shallow dive down to 12'000 ft. Not only I got frozen up and had to climb above any reasonable cruising altitude, I have a strong headwind. I should be faster.

But since I cannot see anything down there, I have to use NAV beacons for location. I use the NAV of Santa Bernardina International (SUDU) as waypoint. From there I would use a from bearing of 240°. After 120 nm, I should be over Jorge Newbery Aeroparque (SABE) in Buenos Aires. But As I close in, the b*ggers want me to approach from the east, and there is no ILS. The cloud base is up to 4'500 ft. and I have no idea how low the clouds reach. That is simply no proposition for an apprach in this aircraft. Cancel the landing and tune in to San Fernando International (SADF). At least they let me land from the side where I have an ILS.

433269164_Screenshot(1410).jpg.f71c7ba2f5d15f9d182b3a8fa293b73d.jpg

Just over Buenos Aires, a small opening in the cloud base allows a glimpe of what happens below. I opt for the standard procedure, setting a course that sets me some 20 nm off the runway and just circling down on autopilot until I hit transition altitude, then out of the turn I intercept the glideslope.

984485610_Screenshot(1412).jpg.b2fa9b6bf7732a0f8790733724d9b9d1.jpg

I'm down at 1'500 ft., but I still can hardly see the runway. But I keep the needles centered.

691845389_Screenshot(1413).jpg.2f13178a84b589d19101cdd71dc9cd35.jpg

There it is. In a forrest in the city. At 500 ft. I finally get a good view.

762589778_Screenshot(1414).jpg.e3fbc001041ebaac8c467667899e4447.jpg

Yeah, downtown Baires! A bloody narrow runway.

274644308_Screenshot(1415).jpg.fc7586d40182bc8274eadbf2f2d116c6.jpg

Taxi through the forrest...

70586826_Screenshot(1416).jpg.97e3d44a7625a178f171742766c1f5a6.jpg

..until I find my place. At least the fuel was no issue. I could save quiet a lot again by the shallow descent from altitude. Then low blower flying helped as well. But man, those clouds are always low at the coast.

1886215624_Screenshot(1417).jpg.d1f6277c68df0e294cad09555d4c6e19.jpg

My original flight plan. Over SABE I realized I will use the alternate, hence I extended the leg for some 35 nm, circling down to transition altitude and then catch the glide slope of SADF.

1751337588_Screenshot(1418).jpg.b1ca6169a01f055190fe3cf74eb1a379.jpg

My journey since La Paz. It has been exciting, but so far I saw little of the scenery. Then I might as well fly a bit over the sea. Falklands/Malvinas are next. You can't just not land at Port Stanley. Then maybe Antarctica... Ushuaïa. Easter Islands... PTO is calling!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Do you guys enable/use the rolling cache? Manual cache?

Just curious of any advantages or disadvantages to this?

I used both, extensively so. The manual cache has the advantage of pre-caching photogrammetry and elevation, hence you'll see high detail regions sooner and over larger distance. Rolling cache I also had. Also the rolling cache is nice if you fly around the same airport mostly. On my world tour none of all that helps me.

The problem with the caches is that so far (at least until two sim updates ago), if you make a really large file (I used 300 GB for rolling cache and did one world tour...), then the sim can choke itself on that. Probably the index file gets a little large. I reduced the manual cache to 10 GB and the rolling cache to 64 GB. That seems to work fine. But with all the world updates, I probably have to delete the manual cache again and load it again. So far, that took like forever, downloads in the cahche manager were grotesquely slow. Also when touching that file makes you wait 15 min before the menu gets responsive again, it's a bit of a pain. I would start with a small(ish) cache size and the make it larger. you can do that, but you cannot make it smaller, but just delete it all. So start from 10 GB or so and go up in size carefully. You'll see how much your system tolerates.

19 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

I used both, extensively so. The manual cache has the advantage of pre-caching photogrammetry and elevation, hence you'll see high detail regions sooner and over larger distance. Rolling cache I also had. Also the rolling cache is nice if you fly around the same airport mostly. On my world tour none of all that helps me.

The problem with the caches is that so far (at least until two sim updates ago), if you make a really large file (I used 300 GB for rolling cache and did one world tour...), then the sim can choke itself on that. Probably the index file gets a little large. I reduced the manual cache to 10 GB and the rolling cache to 64 GB. That seems to work fine. But with all the world updates, I probably have to delete the manual cache again and load it again. So far, that took like forever, downloads in the cahche manager were grotesquely slow. Also when touching that file makes you wait 15 min before the menu gets responsive again, it's a bit of a pain. I would start with a small(ish) cache size and the make it larger. you can do that, but you cannot make it smaller, but just delete it all. So start from 10 GB or so and go up in size carefully. You'll see how much your system tolerates.

Ok good deal I will give it a try much thanks.

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Ok good deal I will give it a try much thanks.

Alright, manual caching now works as intended. I would do this mainly for your POI that you use as VFR markers.

Well since setting rolling and manual cache now I am getting frequent crashes to my desktop, MSFS just closes on me now.

Trying to reset them, I can do that for the rolling by just turning it off but the manual cache I can't seem to turn off or modify at all?

Edit: Google was my friend, deleted the manual cache manually.  Next flight all was fine, only have rolling cache on.

Looks like I have not been the only one with this problem with the manual cache.

Edited by dburne

Well it happened again next flight so I have now disabled the rolling cache.

So far have two flights ( running same test flight each time I am making graphics adjustments) in without any crashes.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Still tweaking settings and getting some individual ones a little higher which is nice.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

After I reset the manual cache and (after the two sim updates) finally cached some of my "frequent flyer" regions. I used the external viev while having the plane flown by AP and AFE. It gives a moving background for hours while doing other stuff. I have absolutely zero issues with that cache, the performance gains and loading speeds are incredible.

70815993_Screenshot(1425).thumb.jpg.0772b19d4e4f11760763ae0b39d22854.jpg

(Current weather, actually rather well interpreted.) I get always 30+ FPS, meaning G-Sync can consstantly create a smooth playback. Tuned to best looks with photoscenery, I get ~10 FPS in P3Dv4.5. It hurts the eye. And the looks don't even compare. Then again, FM...

That happens if millions of $ are put in a sim world and hundreds of $ are put in an FM SDK. As opposed to hundreds of $ being put in scenery rendering and millions of $ are put in the SDK.

MSFS runs better than any version of P3D ever did. Far, FAR better. At least up to v.5 that I didn't care buying anymore.

I wonder why I was getting CTD's with the cache enabled?

Been flying all day today and so far no CTD with them disabled.

Perhaps I set them too high? I started with 50GB for each, then I tried disabling the manual and changed the rolling to 32 GB.

Still got a CTD with that.

On 9/8/2021 at 11:09 PM, ZachariasX said:

That sounds like a...special intrest....piece of kit....

I had the weirdest thing this afternoon. Last flight I launched the sim, and rather than getting to the welcome screen I got a message to "press any button to start".

I kept doing that and kept getting that message, but the sim would never continue to the loading process.

Ended up rebooting my PC, this time I got a message to press continue to sign in, which I did and it worked fine after that.

Strange. Y'all ever see a message like that - "press any button to start" ?

ZachariasX
8 hours ago, dburne said:

Strange. Y'all ever see a message like that - "press any button to start" ?

Yes. Sign in failure to XBox services will do that. In the beginning, it would always load to exactly that screen and then you had to press „any button“ to start, as you did. I suppose they figured out over time how daft it is to make you press „any button“ again after you started the game to… well to start I guess?

10 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

That sounds like a...special intrest....piece of kit....

It has a built in printer. An Wang knew what makes a typewriter.