Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

Never had an interest in non-combat flight sims but this I will definitely try.

This video is pretty interesting regarding how they created the airports:

Edited by Jade_Monkey
  • Upvote 1

I simply cannot wait!

But I fear this will be fantastically expensive and possibly on a subscription. There will be little, if any freeware to begin with, and what little there will be will be expensive. I imagine it is going to be a big performance hit for most PCs. Mine is pretty powerful, but it never liked X-Plane 11 very much. 

(But it does DCS and IL2 BoS on mostly ultra settings without a struggle. And I've pretty much smashed FSX performance wise with every slider to the right and up to 255fps!)

Edited by Reggie_Mental

13 hours ago, Reggie_Mental said:

I simply cannot wait!

But I fear this will be fantastically expensive and possibly on a subscription. There will be little, if any freeware to begin with, and what little there will be will be expensive. I imagine it is going to be a big performance hit for most PCs. Mine is pretty powerful, but it never liked X-Plane 11 very much. 

(But it does DCS and IL2 BoS on mostly ultra settings without a struggle. And I've pretty much smashed FSX performance wise with every slider to the right and up to 255fps!)

FS2020 is what's making me wonder if I should go up a notch for my next CPU. I would be happy getting a 3600X, but if it turns out FS2020 will burn through all cores, I'd definitely consider saving up for a big fat CPU.

56 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

FS2020 is what's making me wonder if I should go up a notch for my next CPU. I would be happy getting a 3600X, but if it turns out FS2020 will burn through all cores, I'd definitely consider saving up for a big fat CPU.

With the new consoles having 8 cores, I would expect games and sims that are cross-platform (including FS2020) to utilize those cores. With that in mind, I'm not sure I'd purchase a six-core CPU at this time.

And I also expect the 3000-series Ryzens to drop in price throughout the year with the impending release of the new generation.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

With the new consoles having 8 cores, I would expect games and sims that are cross-platform (including FS2020) to utilize those cores. With that in mind, I'm not sure I'd purchase a six-core CPU at this time.

And I also expect the 3000-series Ryzens to drop in price throughout the year with the impending release of the new generation.

I'll wait another few months maybe.

Will be interesting to see what the new AMD CPU specs are.

15 hours ago, Reggie_Mental said:

possibly on a subscription.

That is a worry.  I don't mind if it's expensive....within reason....but I'm not going the subscription route.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

That is a worry.  I don't mind if it's expensive....within reason....but I'm not going the subscription route.

To be able to fly the world with that level of accurate geographic detail, I will absolutely positively shell out.

It goes beyond just being a flightsim - it's an Earthsim. We'll be able to tour the world in HD in an interactive way. For me it's impossible to resist.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

For me it's impossible to resist.

Alas, the Scotsman deep within me will always cry 'Noooooooooooooooooo....................................................':angry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Alas, the Scotsman deep within me will always cry 'Noooooooooooooooooo....................................................':angry:

And the American deep within me will cry "It's okay, I have a credit caaaaaaaaaard..................." :biggrin:

The Australian in me will say:  Just flyin’ around... where’s the sport in that??  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

The British attitude in me says 'Keep calm and carry on flying, but only after you have tried a much cheaper option'...

i was wondering if in 500  or 5000 years when the computing power its brutal if you could simulate every litle detail of the world with his people

the most powefull computer in the world now its used to study the weather and apparently its believed with enough computing power you could perfectly predict something chaotic as the weather

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis

@unlikely_spider, @CanadaOne I'm afraid the corona virus is going to disrupt product manufacture and distribution for anything electronic for many months. Expect prices on existing inventory to rise in the coming days.

12 hours ago, Gordon200 said:

@unlikely_spider, @CanadaOne I'm afraid the corona virus is going to disrupt product manufacture and distribution for anything electronic for many months. Expect prices on existing inventory to rise in the coming days.

Seems logical, sadly.

(Sadly first for the victims, then second for the increased prices, that is)

• Like 1

This is a video regarding computer specs and the internet band. It sounds really promising.

• Like 2

Here's a little more news regarding progress.

They expect release in October and are only now considering VR functionality. Microsoft, who brought us Windows Mixed Reality, is only now considering VR application. Video above posted by @SeaW0lf shows VR on the wish list.

• Like 1

I have the impression that we will be able to have FS2020 as a one time buy with basic scenery coverage as we have them in XP etc., and as subscription models depending on the coverage quality you want.

Seeing all this, it will be interesting to see what LM comes up with for P3D v5. As it caters a different market it can adjust priorities accordingly, but I see a lot of sales going to people who just want sort of an up to date FSX. In order to get these customers, they will have to improve a lot and it probably will come down to how much MS plans to hurt customers with funny pricing schemes. It is doubtful that LM will go down that road, as it is obvious that a lot of professional sim rigs are offline installations.

Xbox Game Pass is just $14? I wouldn't mind paying for that, even if only for MFS 2020. I imagine that the general aviation community would not as well, since right now people pay hundreds of dollars in add-ons that seems to be an out of the box feature with MFS 2020. I imagine that the market for add-ons will continue, but not with the same strength. Heck, Rio de Janeiro International Airport seems to be in the list of 80 airfields that they took time to detail!

With the subscriptions, the development could be a constant for years. Performance wise, posts are starting to pop up and there is no concern about it. The simulator looks smooth.

22 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

Xbox Game Pass is just $14? I wouldn't mind paying for that, even if only for MFS 2020. I imagine that the general aviation community would not as well, since right now people pay hundreds of dollars in add-ons that seems to be an out of the box feature with MFS 2020. I imagine that the market for add-ons will continue, but not with the same strength. Heck, Rio de Janeiro International Airport seems to be in the list of 80 airfields that they took time to detail!

With the subscriptions, the development could be a constant for years. Performance wise, posts are starting to pop up and there is no concern about it. The simulator looks smooth.

I'm a bit of a (minimally accomplished) geography nerd, as I guess many flightsimheads are, and FS2020 looks like a dream come true in that area. We don't just get the planes and atmospherics, but interactive HD maps of the planet. That being the case, I'm ready and willing to pay a subscription fee.

I'm curious about what else they will do with this program. A driving sim, a boat sim, some kind of space sim maybe, with launches to the ISS and then bring the shuttle back to Florida? Who knows. But I doubt all that delicious HD eye candy and info will be limited to us guys and our 172s.

• Like 1

Subscription? Of course I will pay for the subscription.

I intend to inject this sim directly into my veins.

• Haha 2

On 2/25/2020 at 1:53 AM, Gordon200 said:

Agree on the first part, but i doubt the prices of existing hardware will go up much. In this kind of crysis situations people reevaluate their priorities. 

Better stock up on actual necessities than buy latest computer hardware.