Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

MFS,

is indeed UNIQUE !

I am still on my 2012 rig, i5 2500, GTX 960 4 GB gpu, 16GB DDR3 RAM, and I can run it, noticing that when I enable photogrammetry and streaming + rolling cache it runs even smoother 😄

I really look forward for the flight dynamics and SDK updates, and the fine tunning of the Meteoblue weather feeds, but so far is the most Astounding flight simulation experience I have had in terms of scenery and weather rendering and effects 🙂

Down to northern Namibia now and flying over some communal conservancies. MSFS really does this type of terrain justice with all the dried up river beds and tons of variation.

Screenshot-835.png

On next to the Etosha Pan which is a giant salt pan situated in the Etosha National Park and covers 4,800km2. Apparently home to a million flamingos but I guess they'd flown somewhere else the day I passed over.

Screenshot-839.png 

Bit of a long leg next.. well for me anyway unlike you maniacs doing 350km+ in a 152.. so back into the CJ4 to head down to Walvis Bay, the 2nd largest city in Namibia which also apparently has lots of flamingos that I just missed that day.

Screenshot-845.png

Passing over some mountain zebra park. I saw no zebras though as the wildlife again conspired against me.

Screenshot-862.png

Then back into the Bonanza for a flight over the Ais Richtersveld Transfrontier Park on my way to Alexander Bay in the extreme north of South Africa

Screenshot-868.png

Screenshot-870.png

Screenshot-873.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, jcomm-in-il2 said:

fine tunning of the Meteoblue weather feeds

Rex Weatherforce really works wonders.

It's one of the three (or four, the last is actually two separate purchases) payware addons I would recommend for every FS 2020 user:

1. Rex Weatherforce
  2. FS Playground
  3. FS Academy VFR+IFR

:drinks:

Mike

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, SAS_Storebror said:

It's one of the three (or four, the last is actually two separate purchases) payware addons I would recommend for every FS 2020 user:

1. Rex Weatherforce
  2. FS Playground
  3. FS Academy VFR+IFR

Mike

I probably Could Google that, But all these things, What do they do?

27 minutes ago, SAS_Storebror said:

I have a mixed impression about it. When it's doing its job right, it is much better, but often enough, the results are odd. And as soon as you are outside densely populated areas (of good coverage), it is either wrong or just blue sky (if no data at all is available). What I really do like about it is that it makes the weather much more dynamic.

But it is not something I would recommend to anyone.

Also the friggin' necessity of having to run it in admin mode is not acceptable, by definition.

13 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I probably Could Google that, But all these things, What do they do?

Rex Weatherforce (https://rexsimulations.com/weatherforce.html) = new METAR-based dynamic real-time weather engine

FS Playground (https://fsplayground.com/) = Among others, a replay system (currently missing in stock MSFS 2020)

FS Academy (https://www.fsacademy.co.uk/) = Flight Training Missions

13 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

often enough, the results are odd

Never had odd results here. Maybe your Version isn't up to date?

I've been flying around endless locations in Europe, Africa, Russia, Japan, US - the weather always precisely reflected what the next airport's METAR was, and that was - I can say so for European region only from 1st hand experience - just what it looked like when looking out of the window in real life. Quite in contrast to Stock MSFS 2020 where in the beginning it was (almost) always blue skies, and now it's some seemingly random weather, more often than not with lightning.

And as soon as you are outside densely populated areas (of good coverage), it is either wrong or just blue sky (if no data at all is available).

Never ever experienced anything like that.

Blue skies where there should be clouds? Never.

I've been flying in deepest darkest Africa in the middle of nowhere and the weather was perfectly right.

Simply pick the closest airport and load it's METAR. Rex will do the rest and give a smooth transition to where you are.

the friggin' necessity of having to run it in admin mode is not acceptable, by definition.

Being a Software Developer by profession myself, I see the issue Rex ran into:

Since the MSFS 2020 API lacks any interface to adjust weather the "official" way, Rex needs to write straight into the running MSFS 2020 processes' memory.

Since MSFS 2020 is 64 Bit, you need elevated privileges to get write access to such process (MSFS) from another process (Rex).

DLL injection might be a way out, but I'm not sure if that's feasible.

But I agree, having to run anything in admin mode always smells.

Mike

Edited by SAS_Storebror
  • Thanks 1

Hey hivemind, any of you all get msfs 2020 from Steam? I'm having some issues. 

I paid my money, and was able to download the 500mb-odd initial download. This has created a desktop shot cut and I can now click 'play' in steam. However, when I do so I get the little 'thinking circle' next to my mouse pointer and then... Nada. Nothing. Not a sausage. 

I had a Google round, and it seems like plenty of people have had instillation issues, but can't see anyone talking about this specific one. 

Any thoughts, oh wise ones? 

1 hour ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Never had odd results here. Maybe your Version isn't up to date?

I had it from day 1. Much has been corrected, but the current anomalies are probably due to ambigous or faulty METAR data. Still, when comparing webcam images with Weatherforce, I still get mixed results.

In my world tour, it has been largely useless, as does not really create larger weather systems as cyclones or Hurricanes. It is always "local weather". Comparing to what I should get according to Windy, it was not really what should be, while the inbuilt weather system matched the general picture rather well. I stopped using it.

Also I think METAR is not a good source to assemble an athmosphere, but it can serve to calibrate what weather should look like once you have it. Overall, there is far less info in METAR than the weather system in FS2020 uses. I think it is a bad idea ditching one for the other, especially when in principle METAR is a more limited set of data. They made a poll shortly after the first patch about what the users thought. And I wrote them just that. You cannot win against a more comprehensive system.

I should compare it to a flight simulator that uses just table based data to come up with flight performance. While you have nominally correct perfrmances, these are correct only for very specific conditions and "all between" is a hack one way or the other. Averaging ot is a hack as well as transitioning between sets of METAR data. So yes, calibrating lifting line theory is difficult, we see that here especially when hard data is scarce. But nobody right in their mind would ditch that for exclusively going with tables. And this is what METAR is.

What I would like from such a plugin is that is uses the inbuild system and tries to match that ore closely to the METAR data at hand, not ditch it. Same as fight simulators today are a mix from procedural and table data.

If they program it a way that would even earn them a "Win10 compatible" logo and if they could improve rather than dicrad what is in there, it would be grand.

4 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Being a Software Developer by profession myself, I see the issue Rex ran into:

Not being a software developer, I appreciate your insight. Makes sense.

Yet such practise is stil rampant. ORBX being one of the worst offenders. Their idiotic store requires me to log in as admin. That screws you if you don't run your personal account as admin. I have no mercy for people daft enough to do so. What happens is the store launches as "Administrator" that is in fact a specific account on my system and it is not a sudo command to make that piece of garbage run IN MY PROFILE. The store then stores the user settings in the account "Administrator".

You know, I think people should be fired on the spot for much less than even considering such a way of doing things for a second. What do I get as advice? "I run my flight sim rig with no password admin accont". You know, that is just a way to spawn violent fantasies. There is just no bottom to things like that. Nothing particular to about it as REX is concerned, but outwardly unacceptable on the whole.

I see systemic malpracise in indeed a major feature in the evolution of software. Exceptions are rare and usually only found in projects driven by specific individials for specific reasons.

Like gliders ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUWzyqfpJbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUqTzTkIZeY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KrLKM35ioI

Oops, Hoots got me to it 🙂

19 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

1. Rex Weatherforce
  2. FS Playground
  3. FS Academy VFR+IFR

Mike

I honestly miss Active Sky, and they having been left out, until for now, is quite a disappointment 😞

Been a  long time beta tester with HiFi, all platforms, and they really do a remarkable job in FSX, P3D and even XP...

Unfortunately METAR-based approaches are never going to work that nice with MFS IMO, given the way they will have to merge with model data...

Let's hope ASOBO changes their plans...

Edited by jcomm-in-il2
  • Upvote 2
18 minutes ago, Hoots said:

Could be interesting...

Looks very nice, but they'll have to fine-tune the winch-behaviour.

No glider will go that fast on the ground that quickly. 180kph (that's roughly 100kts) is way overspeeding the airplane.

Let's see where this is going. if they get the glider-dynamics right, they could really eat Condor's lunch.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

No glider will go that fast on the ground that quickly. 180kph (that's roughly 100kts) is way overspeeding the airplane.

So far, they simulated a JATO and not a winch. Too flat, too fast, too quick.

But it would be nice if they could draw the rope and the winch as well. And maybe a tug plane as well that follows a customizable path. There is enormous potential.

But so far, I haven‘t really seen thermals in FS2020. Most is dynamic dependent on the relief. It would be a geme changer if those „hot air bubbles“ could be simulated. Or... what is „Wellenwolken“ in English? Those things along with what causes them.

There is so much to air...

• Like 2

Here's my issue with Weather Force:

That is webcam weather, right now on LSZH from the midfield dock looking north:

WC.jpg.8cf56b83ed9d5033ea47d42a69c41859.jpg

This is the default "live" weather, looking in the same general direction:def.jpg.34661943b7b6f1355d07bcdf2895d21f.jpgther in FS2020:

And this is what Weather Force parses from it:

rex.jpg.ae5eb1911c059c59f47919108f4516ba.jpg

EDIT: Yes, Injection complete!

The problem here is that we do have some warm front systems moving about, while it is actualyl rather nice weather just looking up in the sky right now.

wk.jpg.0e296236def4fa62420482704d9cf91d.jpg

This is enough to produce some cloud  and haze formation in the simulation, as we also see in Windy.

w.jpg.11f315ea28b00223b4f621c17287a1f5.jpg

On the first picture above however one can see that seen from the ground, it appears reasonably clear weather, yet it is anything but clear but very athmospheric. This would become apparent when you fly and you look back down, you wouldn't have the clear vision REX presents you with. It is by all means the weather where you can get lost, if you are not very familiar with the scenery. The default weather shows that predicament more clearly.

What is missing so far is that weather from one side doesn't really look like the weather from the other side, like looking through a tinted window. It is only transparent if you look from the dark side to the bright side. This subtlety (that might well kill you in real life) is not there, or if you put it there, it looks cioarse from all sides, as seen in the default weather. In this sense, METAR data can be extremely misleading and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

Let's see where this is going. if they get the glider-dynamics right, they could really eat Condor's lunch.

For sure, once got pinged to 80 knots in a k8 from a standing start, binned that launch pretty damn quickly. 

As you say, some way to go but as a first go it shows promise. Condor soaring mechanics in FS2020... nice. 

22 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

we do have some warm front systems moving about, while it is actualyl rather nice weather just looking up in the sky right now.

(...)

In this sense, METAR data can be extremely misleading and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Well I think that's really an edge case, neither MSFS 2020 stock weather system nor Rex got it right.

In defense of Rex, all METARs see clear skies despite recent changes:

https://www.windy.com/LSZH?gfs,clouds,47.460,7.449,8,i:pressure

On the other hand, I didn't see MSFS 2020 getting snow in northern germany right a single time so far, whereas Rex didn't fail a single time in that regard.

Nothing's 100% reliable, but to me Rex is about 10 times as reliable as Stock MSFS is.

Though I have to admit that EDDH - EGTE in a C172 was the longest flight in one chunk I did so far, but on that flight, Rex performed large scale weather changes, from low to ground touching clouds and thunderstorms with severe icing conditions at start, over almost clear skies across the channel, then more or less completely cloud-covered south-east of england to a really beautiful 1-2/10 clouds around cornwall/devon, it's all been spot on with local weather reports cross-checked.

Mike

17 minutes ago, Hoots said:

For sure, once got pinged to 80 knots in a k8 from a standing start, binned that launch pretty damn quickly. 

Are you sure they used the correct tow-break on you?

Had a similar thing happen once, when I was standing wing. The "blue" tow-break ripped cleanly off the K8 - the airplane didn't even move an inch...

Turns out, the winch guy wanted to prevent an engine-stall, but forgot the cable was almost unslacked...

In another club, they just launched every airplane with the wrong tow-breaks. K8s with red breaks (also had a dude getting pulled to 160kph). I once saw 130 and didn't even dare to pull the yellow knob...

Meanwhile they'd launch Twin Astirs and ASK21s with brown breaks, basicly daring that thing to rip off on every launch...

Edited by Bremspropeller
4 hours ago, Diggun said:

Hey hivemind, any of you all get msfs 2020 from Steam? I'm having some issues. 

I paid my money, and was able to download the 500mb-odd initial download. This has created a desktop shot cut and I can now click 'play' in steam. However, when I do so I get the little 'thinking circle' next to my mouse pointer and then... Nada. Nothing. Not a sausage. 

I had a Google round, and it seems like plenty of people have had instillation issues, but can't see anyone talking about this specific one. 

Any thoughts, oh wise ones? 

Those 500MB are launcher download....try to check if it appears listed in control panel/programs than try to uninstall/reinstall it...or do that trough Steam.

Before maybe you should try to verify game files by clicking on msfs2020 in steam library/ RH mouse button/properties....under one subsection there is "Verify game files" option. 

If all goes ok launcher should download remaining ~100GB and if some content is missing you need to download it ingame troigh content manager (not sure is it called like that).

Good luck!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Well I think that's really an edge case, neither MSFS 2020 stock weather system nor Rex got it right.

If I fly locally, I often try both and select what gives the better picture. But in the last days (as posted) I was more goofing around on my world tour, hence I would prefer to have weather such as I see in in Windy and thus I stopped using Weather Force. And the FS2020 weather system matches Windy rather closely. It might even be that they draw from the same (or similar) weather model. The company that produces the weather system for FS2020 (AFAIK) makes its money by providing forecast.

Anyway, over time, I think a synthesis of the present technologies are probably a way to go. What is definitely missing now is that FS' weather system is calbrated to local conditions. But The current either/or solution is rather coarse. But it's good having the choice.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

Are you sure they used the correct tow-break on you?

Had a similar thing happen once, when I was standing wing. The "blue" tow-break ripped cleanly off the K8 - the airplane didn't even move an inch...

Turns out, the winch guy wanted to prevent an engine-stall, but forgot the cable was almost unslacked...

In another club, they just launched every airplane with the wrong tow-breaks. K8s with red breaks (also had a dude getting pulled to 160kph). I once saw 130 and didn't even dare to pull the yellow knob...

Meanwhile they'd launch Twin Astirs and ASK21s with brown breaks, basicly daring that thing to rip off on every launch...

Weak link was correct, always check myself before it’s attached. The power delivery on our winch is smooth but the driver got mixed up and thought he was launching a K13. Our club’s hot on procedures so it’s rare for failures due to wrong links. Funny how some clubs treat their gliders. We have a good mix of glass and wood so drivers and launch crew are careful. 

anyway, back on topic, gliders in FS2020, awesome when finished :)

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, jcomm-in-il2 said:

The Fiat has recently been released

It's the Bonanza trying to air-to-air refuel that we are puzzled about though. At least, I am...

• Confused 1
6 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

Maybe it's MSFS using a default aircraft model because you don't own whatever it is. F-15 maybe?

Yeah, that makes sense.  I followed the Airbus from take off in Gibraltar and had to drop tanks to keep up with it.  

We were still climbing when the Bonanza appeared off my high three o’ clock and closed on the Airbus😮.  

I’m assuming the roll and break into a dive at +250 knots would have instantly destroyed the Bonanza - even with a ‘home brewed’ engine mod.

After the Bonanza left us I trailed the Airbus for a while. This was a flight in real time with live weather and the cloud formation as we headed north over central Spain were absolutely authentic!

Looking over at the Airbus I could just imagine the drinks trolley doing a roaring trade. I’ve always been amazed at my fellow Brits propensity to get wasted on an airliner given the slightest opportunity.🤪

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

So.. back to my world tour.

Having arrived in Beijing, I figured the most suitable next leg would be to another capital city. Taipeh, that is.

Spoiler

FP.thumb.jpg.dc2f8b2815fff583493b628f453ac7c3.jpg

There might be some clouds on the way, but nothing too bad.

1.jpg.f396977abcf2adf892a7e5fae691c37c.jpg

Weather was really nice, offering a nice view of the surroundings. I am always amazed (also in real tubeliners) how populated China is, at least anywhere flat.

2.jpg.3fbbc704db1874be7383e3a0ae32bce8.jpg

While there is plenty of agriculture south of Beijing area,

3.jpg.71e12c35b0b14f54fea90ba2e9db2b16.jpg

it seems that the locals are more interested in turning the landscape into a dynamo rather than any sort of garden.

5_Xintai.jpg.cff35c90742d0245f3856a3c9d4bf8a9.jpg

Also in Xintai, where it is evident where the power comes from. But if that is the alternative to (Australian) coal, why not? From then on, the weather got more and more cloudy, but cloud ceiling was high enough to never pose an issue.

8.jpg.76dc8d6b989bff903572a75f6106d8f5.jpg

Shanghai. Regrettul how the flattened a significant part of the old town to build a Mikey Mouse version of an ancient town as tacky as it could possibly be. But Chinese are great at being toursits in their own country.

Further south, weather cleared up.

10.jpg.15a5016408d9268275aa43aadf8c4716.jpg

Fuzhou Changle International Airport being my waypoint to torn toward Taiwan. I don't really like just flying out toward the sea. Even plain bue sky can quickly turn into something nasty and then there's no place to land.

14.jpg.fb79b305f15e642d8fd37345af12ea2d.jpg

On apprach to Chiang Kai-shek International Airport (RCTP), or Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport how it is called today. The fuel situation was problematic. When I was doing this flight ASOBO just released the patch that mended some of the fuel flow in the Baron, that before was either 20 gallons (or so) or cut. I shhould have throttled back a bit and decresed rpm.

Where to go from here? Manila!

Spoiler

FP.thumb.jpg.7c55e0a964a78ca194a316a8bee5580f.jpg

Some very early and very japanese MTO feeling again. Weather looked nice. Maybe some local things over the Philippines.

1.jpg.776d4e629282a6076cef287bc86d3185.jpg

Off we go.

2.jpg.bfa47f186ec331b114aeb2dd3ee8bb4d.jpg

Some funny landscape along the west coast. Those terrain spike glitches are really frequent here, not so in China. Took some tries not having them in the picture.

4.jpg.89d24fc518fe14e49fac603d424b151e.jpg

Hengchun Airport on the southern tip of the Island. Now out toward the sea.

5.jpg.ac9b2c1979a07829952618858e42303d.jpg

This is what is absolutely stunning about this sim. Look at the weather now... all easy now....

6.jpg.4e904d75828c80b4bbb524e668a43e40.jpg

Half an hour later, it became this.

10.jpg.757ee181443945ee646e9c79c36ca380.jpg

Near Santiago City, there were plenty of Thunderstorms and there be plenty of mountans between here and my next waypoint, Clark Field.

14.jpg.5ed1c8f3e10d351e9e62a8fab8fff4b7.jpg

Clark Field. How long will it be until I can take off with a P-40 from here to attack the ships landing at Aparri and Vigan? Will there be thunderstorms over inland territory and clea weather near the beaches?

15.jpg.6f6ebe9acc35cc259b36820fe2e6124e.jpg

Finally, on apprach to Ninoy Aquino International Airport, RWY 6. The weather is indeed rather dynamic. This is really something sorely missing in other simulators, especially "the other sim", where we fly (mostly) fast jets and that thinks of itself as curtting edge. Yet the same weather throughout the whole map. You know on takeoff how things will look like where you do your deliveries. What a boring terrarium.

Next stop will be Kuching in Idonesia, from there to Singapore. Then via Bangkok to Kunming and over the Hump.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

I think Zach must have racked up the most diplomatic incidents so far....China to Taiwan? Yikes!🤪

I declared a "local flight via Fujian" when submitting the flight plan in Beijing. Wording helps. I will come back to China some flights later on, hence I don't want to offend anyone.

Speaking of, next leg was an excursion to Malaysia, From Manila to Kuching Intl (WBGG).

Spoiler

FP.thumb.jpg.645aaefeee35d756aad48d17683d7154.jpg

I might encounter lesser weather. Windy agrees.

Spoiler

windy.jpg.d6523cb62bcbfef50fbe1ae202e0b255.jpg

This bloody island of Borneo is breeding thunderstorms, but at least I have tailwinds. First things first. The weather in Manila hasn't changed at all since I arrived.

1.jpg.0252302146f4b26992cee93e774c8f42.jpg

Nice clouds. That is where I am going.

3.jpg.1bcf21902ad091062e168c4b1c758562.jpg

Never been to Manila myself, but as far as it looks here, it must be quiet an interesting city.

9.jpg.7dd35b5ea78e981fb97e1e960757b5d6.jpg

Luckily the weather cleared up and as I was bimbling about enroute Puerto Princesa on the stretched out island Palawan, I realized that 5'500 ft altutude is really what you require in these parts.

10.jpg.1751011d7ccb1ee3383f89aa2485a30e.jpg

Puerto Princesa seems to be a rather nice spot. and It has a nice airport.

11.jpg.c6898cd6945e7d532f86704dbead4828.jpg

Arriving off the coast of Malaysia, it becomes evident that in Borneo altitude may only help you if you are a tubeliner en route. Mount Kinabalu in the center is about 13'500 ft and one of Borneos more prominent landmarks. I stay near the coast, hoping for the best regarding the projected thunderstorms.

13.jpg.a72f07e8d592972d42adec69ab95a37f.jpg

Arriving over Brunei. Everything about it is anticlimactic. It may have been imperial Japans gas station once, now it looks as any other makeshift town in these parts of the world. Even the weather remained average. Alas, more sobering stuff was yet to come.

14.jpg.e4c704d7087823447ac12fef7662e64c.jpg

Formerly rain forrest, now vast stretches of palm oil fields. Most flat parts of the country here is transformed into that. For I can eat margarine instead of butter and my Shampoo not being liquid but creamy. Hooray.

17.jpg.610fd7705f49d2c1e90ff1d43505c39d.jpg

At least the weather remained passable and I landed at my destination Kuching Intl Airport. A rather funny place it turned out. Oh well. I sleep in the ramp then. Tomorrow is a new day and then off to Singapore. I'm sure the humor there will at least be different.

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Like 2
On 07. 02. 2021. at 11:32 AM, DD_Arthur said:

Yeah, that makes sense.  I followed the Airbus from take off in Gibraltar and had to drop tanks to keep up with it.  

We were still climbing when the Bonanza appeared off my high three o’ clock and closed on the Airbus😮.  

I’m assuming the roll and break into a dive at +250 knots would have instantly destroyed the Bonanza - even with a ‘home brewed’ engine mod.

After the Bonanza left us I trailed the Airbus for a while. This was a flight in real time with live weather and the cloud formation as we headed north over central Spain were absolutely authentic!

Looking over at the Airbus I could just imagine the drinks trolley doing a roaring trade. I’ve always been amazed at my fellow Brits propensity to get wasted on an airliner given the slightest opportunity.🤪

Reminds me on those airliner kidnap movies!

They should make a mod when civillian plane enters some country airspace unannounced fighter jets are being alerted to intercept and escort

Sooo... next leg, off to Singapore!

Spoiler

FP.thumb.jpg.e865463496b3480a7672cadbb2133ff2.jpg

Sleeping in that ramp was was not that great, especially since during the night it was getting noisy. Thunderstorms. Oh well.

Spoiler

windy.jpg.93bdfa4b9459cb4110ecfbd9faa3fcbc.jpg

Windy agrees and it seems I'm right in the middle of it. But at least it looks better at my destination. Off I go then.

1.jpg.8b9dfa52fd2ba972c71a85493caff4f7.jpg

Could be worse. At least this storm seems to have an eye.

3.jpg.264ac2c449b6b1646c94052a4cae749f.jpg

Nevertheless, Borneo was shrouded in thunderstorm clouds. Nice little cloud towers here and there through the dense ceiling. 9500 ft altitude does about the trick. But I should have brought more paper bags.

4.jpg.a7f067cbf094a3d507f1d71296e8afde.jpg

About the last and only thing I see of Borneo besides thunderstorm clouds is noteably my waypoint, Supadio International Airport (WIOO).

6.jpg.98bd3fe1b30d1fb8656e325351192a21.jpg

Crossing the sea to Sumatra and my next waypoint Pangkal Pinang Airport, the weather was clearing such that I got a marvellous view. Finally.

7.jpg.df2b466a39dc2c732ebbc26dbff86fd5.jpg

This side of Sumatra is really flat and all agriculture, settlements (even larger tows) are very spread out. Now is about the time to think about my apprach on Singapore Airport. Widns from the NE, so I figure it's gonna be rwy 2 and I go for the ILS approach.

9.jpg.916fc40e7a4986a36337c734e454ab23.jpg

I'm slightly short on fuel as I got a tad more headwind than expected. So I don't do for some sightseeing across town. With only 15% left, there is little room for an organized go around and new approach.

10.jpg.16df85f2c65fc3dcdd69281880e3ca5a.jpg

I'll take a closer look on departure. The infinity pool is really asking for it.

11.jpg.cee5deb14e28d051138dd614717da316.jpg

Having an autopilot doing all the work keeps one distracted where one shouldn't. With all the clicking on the Garmin by selecting different appraches and modes, I didn't realize it didn't fly on NAV but on HDG until I again confirmed the new procedure and set to NAV again. Good old steam gauge aircraft. You are actually flying them.

12.jpg.c67182de77a0be2295529b1d98896538.jpg

Over here, there's more to these airport facilities than just the ramps. But some scenery upgrade would be nice in these whereabouts.

In general, I think it would be really nice if there was some airport information for the player/pilot that could be brought up. I mean, all the information must be there, otherwhise they couldn't have made the airport for this sim. A simple sketch would help. "Take taxiway november... " Yeah, sure.

Next up to Bangkok. Knockin' on @unreasonable's door until he opens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

After leaving Alexandra Bay it's time to head down towards Cape Town. After a lot of wilderness over the last few flights signs of large scale human work on the land start to reappear as I pass by Winterhoek Mountain. Civilisation (and hopefully no vuvuzelas) beckons.

Screenshot-897.png

Screenshot-900.png

Screenshot-903.png

Flying down into Cape Town International. After a bunch of airports with no approaches all hail glorious VNAV which allows my lazy pilot to not have to do a thing for most of the flight apart from twiddling a few knobs along the way and doomscrolling Twitter before finally taking over for the last 500 feet.

Screenshot-910.png

Leaving Cape Town and on the way to George Airport. Definitely does look a pretty spectacular place from up here.

Screenshot-913.png

Screenshot-914.png

Screenshot-917.png

Screenshot-923.png

• Like 3

Wow that really is lovely. I never thought I’d say it about a flight sim, but I could use a break from all the huge majestic cloud formations for a while.  A bit of gin clear real time weather would be very nice indeed.  

Those filthy swine at MS locked my account. Now they want a phone number to send a verification code to, and this is one-minute after they sent a verification code to my email, which worked and I got in just long enough for them to say they need a phone number to send another verification code to. What's next, I have to meet Bill Gates in an underground garage somewhere?

All this to fly an airplane on a computer screen. :angry:

On 2/11/2021 at 6:34 PM, CanadaOne said:

Those filthy swine at MS locked my account. Now they want a phone number to send a verification code to, and this is one-minute after they sent a verification code to my email, which worked and I got in just long enough for them to say they need a phone number to send another verification code to. What's next, I have to meet Bill Gates in an underground garage somewhere?

All this to fly an airplane on a computer screen. :angry:

Yeah - hard pass.

You can have that everywhere these days.

Just had a day of fun with the Apple support to get my account unlocked, and the funniest part of it was: My Password was correct all the time, and no one could explain why the iPad won't accept it and lock the account instead.

I'm not inclined to assign animal names to the Apple Staff though... it's not their fault after all. :rolleyes:

Mike