Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

3 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

I do have the City Landmarks plus the City and Southend Airports.

Hard to tell what exactly is in or not, as you can't switch it on/off in realtime and I'm rather not constantly installing/uninstalling the addon to spot a difference.

But if you've got something specific in mind, I could give it a go at the weekend and post some screenies of it, so you can compare what I see with the addons to what you see without.

:drinks:

Mike

Thanks for the offer, but don't worry about it. As a northerner I'm not that familiar with London anyway so am not really in any hurry yet!

Really I think the addons would be worth it if it means they will download a significant portion of a terrain/city scape without me having to do it by hand (which is a pain). But if it's just a bunch of landmarks then I'm not so sure. As you say one trouble is detemining exactly what you have downloaded yourself and which is paid content! I think I really need to get a real map out and start learning navigation as I never know where I actually am.

Thanks for the kind offer though! 👍

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

As a northerner I'm not that familiar with London anyway

What can I say as a Kraut?

I think there have been a few addons for the north as well.

General speaking, the landmarks usually consist of handcrafted buildings rather than large map areas.

Besides the effort required to handcraft buildings in large scale, there's also the drawbacks that come with it: The more such objects you have in sight, the more textures need to be loaded simultaneously, eventually leading to a certain amount of stutter if it just gets too much.

For instance I've once had an addon installed which added some 20GB of scenery data to Manchester and the sorroundings.

It looked just beautiful.

And was unplayable.

Add to that, all the Gigs added to the game eventually leave their mark on the loading time as well.

Mike

2 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

What can I say as a Kraut?

I think there have been a few addons for the north as well.

General speaking, the landmarks usually consist of handcrafted buildings rather than large map areas.

Besides the effort required to handcraft buildings in large scale, there's also the drawbacks that come with it: The more such objects you have in sight, the more textures need to be loaded simultaneously, eventually leading to a certain amount of stutter if it just gets too much.

For instance I've once had an addon installed which added some 20GB of scenery data to Manchester and the sorroundings.

It looked just beautiful.

And was unplayable.

Add to that, all the Gigs added to the game eventually leave their mark on the loading time as well.

Mike

It's painful somtimes to crank up the graphics and see how incredible the sim looks  but find that the performance means it could just never be!

8 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

Yeah, there's a bit of a difference between flying places and having to fly specific places at a specific time. But If you fly low, you at least wouldn't need the de-ice that you don't have on the Cub.

But even if the weather may be bad, other hings are better. At least setting rpm has now effect on fuel flow in the Baron. I hope they finish the SDK soon.

A bit difficult to fly low over South Island, ZachariasX. Or at least, difficult if you want to see the interesting bits. I last landed in Nelson, on the north of the island, and my next leg was going to be to Hokitika, on the west coast, so I supposed I could go the long way round, and follow the coast, avoiding the high ground. Even without the turbulence, conditions are going to be poor though. And the next leg was going to take me over Mt Cook, which is 12,218 ft high. I'll sit it out.

As for icing, I've not actually encountered it in the XCub. For some reason, the (modded) Garmin flashes a 'pitot heat' warning briefly sometimes, though there don't seem to be any consequences, and it seems to be doing it at about 7°C OAT, which doesn't make sense anyway. And if there's a pitot heat switch in the cockpit, I've not found it.

Edited by AndyJWest
7 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

For some reason, the (modded) Garmin flashes a 'pitot heat' warning briefly sometimes, though there don't seem to be any consequences, and it seems to be doing it at about 7°C OAT, which doesn't make sense anyway. And if there's a pitot heat switch in the cockpit, I've not found it.

The Baron has pitot icing, indicated speed drops to zero then. There is also the warning on the Garmin until you activate pitot heat.

Icing is almost guarateed if you have near 0°C and fly in clouds, the top layer being coldest is most notorious for icing. I tried once to fly around Jan Mayen in the Robin, but the crate froze over despite weather being clear. I got up to about 300 m AGL, then I got into said problems. Flying characreristics detoriated such that a forced landing was consequence.

This sim has so much potential.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I've seen icing in other aircraft, just not the XCub. Though so far I've mostly been flying in conditions where ice isn't going to be an issue. I left England at the end of August, and have been in the tropics or thereabouts most of the time since, and only occasionally venture above 10,000 ft. The XCub has a 14,000 ft rated ceiling, and would go quite a bit higher I suspect, but flying at that height requires an imaginary oxygen cylinder so I don't do it for long.

Anyone any idea why I can't get this prop mod working? I've tried installing it to both community folders (not at the same time) and it refuses to work.

I've tried it every which way. I've followed videos and I've used Mod tools and it just won't work. Is there possibly another community folder...

F:\MSFS\Community

C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community

image.png

8 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

Some liveries don‘t work anymore either.

Ah so other people are experiencing this? To be honest though couldn't get it working before the new update! Got this new terrain mod I paid 15 pounds for and embarrassed to say I don't even know if it's working! That too goes in the community folder!

My third re-installation (each take 12 hours)! Started getting long loading times and black screens. Might avoid mods in future but this is really just a consequence of not being on steam and not having (verify gaming cache) the luxury of repairing files quickly nor being able to download the game itself in a similarly rapid manner. Good thing about the other sim in this regard is the skatezillar application (although downloads are still painfully slow)  that enables one to quickly repair corrupted files. Still I've never known that sim to behave in the way MSFS does. Ridiculously unstable for me, and it seems like for many others as well judging by reviews. Will probably give it one more try now, and try to resist using mods (My mods were set up correctly though I think) but if I have any more problems I'm just going to wait till stability improves. Performance will probably be better by then too. Fantastic game and VR experience but its got a lot of issues for me. The loading times were like waiting for a ZX spectrum to fire up a game!

Might be tempted to buy a physical copy.

1 hour ago, Wolf8312 said:

Ridiculously unstable for me, and it seems like for many others as well judging by reviews.

Argumentum ad populum.

The only time I ever had to reinstall FS 2020 was when I started modding it without using MSFS Addons Linker, i.e. I've copied mods manually straight into the game's folders, including a couple of (weather related) mods that didn't go to the Community folder, but to the other game folder(s) instead.

That got the game to kill itself on the next best official update.

Solely my fault.

I agree though that some kind of game integrity check would be beneficial as the amount of files to download on a complete reinstall is gigantic.

Mike

• Upvote 1

Well, one has to be careful with addons in FS20. I never did anything beyond copying files to the Community-Folder. The non-working liveries in my case seem outdated and the new ones work. Older ones are missing textures and the first ones I installed show a white template aircraft. FS20 seems to be delicate what concerns messing around with its files.

I finally ran out of patience, waiting for the weather to improve on my world trip. I've been stuck at Hokitika on the west coast of NZ's South Island for a couple of days, with strong winds and thick cloud piling up against the mountains. I wasn't sure how high the cloud went, but from what I could figure out it was clear on the eastern side of the island, so if I could find my way above it I should be fine to go.

I left Hokitika with solid cloud overhead, but per usual for this sort of situation, heading out to sea soon led me to a safe route up. When I got there I could see the snowy ridge line of the mountains in the distance. Looking good.
Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-20

I'd originally intended to overfly Aoraki/Mt Cook (12,218 ft), but it turned out to be cloud covered. I was already at 13,500 ft (and 0°C), so heading that way didn't seem wise. I'd have to cross sooner, where it was clear.

I was well above the mountains, but as I got closer the updrafts and downdrafts got more and more extreme. The autopilot clearly couldn't cope, since trying to maintain a constant height resulted in wild fluctuations in airspeed. I turned it off, throttled back, and rode it out hand flying, while looking for the best spot to cross the ridge into the clear skies beyond. In the distance I could see the glacier leading down to Lake Tekapo. Perfect.

The run-off from the glacier, feeding the lake. Mt Cook is somewhere in the distance, still obscured by high cloud.

Out into the Mackenzie Basin beyond Lake Tekapo, with Lake Pukaki to the west.

My destination in sight. Omarama (NZOA), a small grass strip. I've used it quite a bit as a base for X-Plane gliding, ridge soaring my way up the mountains. Lucky people get to do it for real.

This effectively marks the half-way point of my world trip. The iffy weather makes heading further south down the island a bad idea, so this is about as close to the antipodal point to where I started as I'll get. If my calculations are correct, I've covered well over 25,000 nm, which would have got me all around the world if I'd taken a more direct route, but where's the fun in that? 😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

are you going eastwards or westwards?

you may save two days if you go eastwards rather than westwards but it may induce the jetlag that my 25 hours day induce :) 

Just now, raaaid said:

are you going eastwards or westwards?

you may save two days if you go eastwards rather than westwards but it may induce the jetlag that my 25 hours day induce :) 

I'm going east. If I'd gone really fast, maybe I could have got back before I'd started. 😉

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

If I'd gone really fast, maybe I could have got back before I'd started. 😉

You sure could... with one of these

image.jpeg.8dfaca1744c62ff2ceb737b357ad3783.jpeg

Edited by Enceladus

No, I haven't found a wormhole and taken a shortcut to Japan. This is Mount Taranaki, on New Zealand's North Island. Not quite as symmetrical as Fuji-san, but spectacular all the same. Only 135,000 years old, and being watched closely, since it is possibly overdue for another eruption.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I'm really annoyed by these terrain mesh errors that they introduces some two patches ago. So far the main selling point of the sim are its looks. If it looked like a vanilla P3D and it had all the bugs and incompleteness it has now, there would be nothing but fire in that forum. Besides me doubting that it had the success it has now.

When bimbling around, I really don't want to see this:

3.jpg

While such errors may happen "out there" in Central America, in very densely populated places, they should not escape quality control.

1.jpg.15abf6218e36b4afc272ea2ad65b1019.jpg

Welcome to Swiss Monument Valley.

It happens now in many places. Although these towers vanish when appoaching them, it's definitely one of the bigger failures of the QC department that I can imagine. At least ASOBO acknowledged that they would be adressing this at least 2 weeks ago.

"Two weeks, be sure!"™

Edited by ZachariasX

My latest world trip leg runs into more Long White Cloud trouble. What should have been a simple straight run from Auckland (bottom right) to Kaitaia (top) goes distinctly wonky, due to said cloud hitting ground level on the way. If you can't go under, you go over. Except then you need to find your way back down again. At one point, I was considering just turning back to Auckland...

LOng-White-Cloud-Trouble.png

@ZachariasX

I seem to recall that Asobo have delayed the latest patch, as they were having issues with Bing regarding the UK update. Hopefully they'll have sorted that weirdness out too.

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
On 1/26/2021 at 7:53 PM, AndyJWest said:

No, I haven't found a wormhole and taken a shortcut to Japan. This is Mount Taranaki, on New Zealand's North Island. Not quite as symmetrical as Fuji-san, but spectacular all the same. Only 135,000 years old, and being watched closely, since it is possibly overdue for another eruption.

I love coming here and checking in on your trip.

There will be no around the world trip in my foreseeable future, although I imagine I'll get to know the Med rather well.

• Upvote 2

https://secure.simmarket.com/sim-skunk-works-fiat-aeritalia-g-91-for-msfs-2020.phtml

It's really good.  Almost surprisingly good.  Cockpit in VR is DCS standard.  The flight model is a bit 'iffy' in my opinion at the moment but so was the MB339's on first release and after a couple of patches that is a delight to fly.  I see no reason why this G91 won't undergo the same evolution.........even if it is a Fiat:)

Landing it is an art in itself at the moment.  I've got to learn to be much more aggresive with the throttle on approach otherwise it likes to fall from the sky.  It's got a payload editor too!

Apparently sim-skunk-works also make a very well respected Thud which they're bringing to FS2020 soon.

• Thanks 1

Don't know what it is about this sim, but it always looks like,

World friction = 200% in the config somewhere

When your wheels touch the ground, they always seem to stick and glue to the ground.

1 hour ago, DD_fruitbat said:

When your wheels touch the ground, they always seem to stick and glue to the ground.

It’s because the braking is bugged.  In some planes when you lower the gear the brakes are ‘on’.  

Tap the brakes when gear lowers can free them up....sometimes.

Daft VR video to try and give an impression of the quality of the cockpit.

I don't know,  all of the ground physics feels wonky to me, and landing seems very easy as a result. Not having really flown any of this stuff though, could just be my perception is off.

7 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

I don't know,  all of the ground physics feels wonky to me, and landing seems very easy as a result. Not having really flown any of this stuff though, could just be my perception is off.

Yeah, I’d broadly agree with you - with a couple of caveats; we’re used to Box and DCS where a great deal of work has gone into all the flight models - it’s what they’re judged on by a fairly tough audience 😃.

MSFS 2020 seems to have a bit of a ‘one size fits all’ about it when it comes to the stock planes.

It’s still light years ahead of previous MS efforts and Xplane.

Edited by DD_Arthur