Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

Continuing my XCub world tour. A leg of 483 nautical miles across the Pacific.

I'd arrived at Lord Howe Island a couple of days ago, flying the 318 nm leg east from Australia. My intention was to fly on to Norfolk Island yesterday, but the 'live' weather looked questionable, and I ran the risk of finding it covered in cloud. Definitely not good when there is no possible diversion. Land there or swim.

Checking today, the weather looked much better, so off I went. Lord Howe Island is a volcanic remnant, with just enough room for a 2,900 ft runway.

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-20

Out over the Pacific, well over 200 miles from anywhere. 

Landing at Norfolk Island. A fair bit bigger and flatter than Lord Howe Island, with two runways, one 6,700 ft long. A former penal colony, later used to rehouse Pitcarn Islanders, who probably felt right at home. I probably lowered my flaps earlier than I needed too, as my straight-in approach took rather a long time. Slowing down to 50 kt in a 20 kt headwind has that effect. Fortunately the wind was straight down the runway.

My next leg will take me southeast to New Zealand. 453 nm to the nearest airport, but at least I'll have alternatives if I get there and find that one clouded over. I'll check the weather carefully first, all the same.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

but at least I'll have alternatives if I get there and find that one clouded over

Come on, it's right in that place's name!

Norfolk and Lord Howe are nice places. Been to both in Xplane with a 727.

Lord Howe is a challenge in the old iron...

Ah yes, Aotearoa, the land of the long white cloud. Which makes a lot more sense than naming it after one of the flattest parts of Europe. Though I have a suspicion that most of the European place names in this part of the world are either down to the over-use of irony, or to the effects of being at sea for far too long. The same sort of effects that result in sailors mistaking manatees for mermaids. 😲

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
36 minutes ago, Hoots said:

sandy desert

Sounds like a stage-name for cheap adult-entertainment, though.

56 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

The same sort of effects that result in sailors mistaking manatees for mermaids.

Must have been those dutch vapeboats 🙃

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, Hoots said:

I've always liked the Australian literal way of naming things, "Man this is a great and sandy desert, I shall call it the great sandy desert".

What shall we call the empty space out back, Bruce? 

Of course there's the alternative Australian way of naming things: "I claim this entirely uninhabited bit of land in the name of Her Britannic Majesty. We shall name it Warrnambool." "That's a funny name, where did you get that from?" "Um, err, don't ask awkward questions..."

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

I will tell ya one thing regarding VR that Asobo did with MSFS2020 that I really like. Well two things actually.

1: A completely separate graphics setting menu for PC versus VR. Each has their own. Newcomers to the sim at first might miss it because it defaults to the 2d graphics setting screen. Click the right arrow to move to the VR graphics setting screen. ( yeah it fooled me too).

2: An assignable command to toggle between 2d and VR whilst in the game. No having to exit and restart the game when going from one to the other. Can be done while in game. I like to do my flight planning all in 2d, then when ready to click on fly toggle to VR.

It would be so nice if more games that have additional VR support provided at least #2 as well.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

NZ arrival. Plenty of holes in the long white cloud, making things simple. 

I'll have to do a bit of Googling before I go any further - I'm sure there are volcanoes to check out somewhere around here. Then I'll be heading down at least as far as Aoraki / Mount Cook, to get a look at the glaciers too.

4 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

NZ arrival. Plenty of holes in the long white cloud, making things simple. 

I'll have to do a bit of Googling before I go any further - I'm sure there are volcanoes to check out somewhere around here. Then I'll be heading down at least as far as Aoraki / Mount Cook, to get a look at the glaciers too.

Are you doing all this in real time?

You listening to music or lectures or anything along the way?

I would take screen shots of some of my flights but with me doing them in VR they would not look so great.

I have seen some gorgeous scenery and cloud formations.

The eye candy force, strong with this one it is.

Edited by dburne

CanadaOne

I've been using 4x simulation speed over the ocean, and for a few less-interesting bits over land (e.g. over the Saudi Arabian empty quarter), but otherwise normal sim speed. I've also time-shifted quite a bit, for convenience, thought the latest leg worked out nicely without shifting: late-evening here, plus 12 hours for a trip with the sun almost overhead. If I was doing this for real, I'd invest in a wide-brimmed hat.

As for keeping myself occupied during the boring bits, I do a fair bit of web browsing - checking out forums etc. Over land, there's often something that catches my eye, worth a bit of Googling just to figure out what it is. And since the XCub has an autopilot, I can safely wander off and do mundane things like loading the washing machine, as long as I don't take too long over it.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, dburne said:

I will tell ya one thing regarding VR that Asobo did with MSFS2020 that I really like. Well two things actually.

1: A completely separate graphics setting menu for PC versus VR. Each has their own. Newcomers to the sim at first might miss it because it defaults to the 2d graphics setting screen. Click the right arrow to move to the VR graphics setting screen. ( yeah it fooled me too).

2: An assignable command to toggle between 2d and VR whilst in the game. No having to exit and restart the game when going from one to the other. Can be done while in game. I like to do my flight planning all in 2d, then when ready to click on fly toggle to VR.

It would be so nice if more games that have additional VR support provided at least #2 as well.

Yes definitely this, it’s such a neat method, really well done. For dcs I have 2 .bat files to load the different settings but for il2 I never fly other than VR so no issue. 

Did some more flying in Japan. Down from Hokkaido via Sendai and Tokio to Kobe. Weather was really nice. I was mainly enoing the view while working the Garmin. It is really awful that there is no way to open a sort of a map that details the airports along with their respective info like runways and frequencies. As the do not always match he real frequencies, skyvector is not always a help.

Arriving over Honshu from Hokkaido.

1.jpg.a6e1c64e7ba5f3d3869acd5cf4c70c42.jpg

I absolutely love how the ice is added. Maybe this year, they will add seasons to the sim world. This together with the way snow and ice is added will be just awesome.

4.jpg.4ead012d1598457d4b4433c268f7fed9.jpg

Approaching Ishinomaki, I leave the snow behind. The ugly weather is to the west over the ountain range. I figure I stay clear of that, given the choice.

5.jpg.3cf49242d3a14b07df8e3ebe164ab2ec.jpg

ILS approach on Sendai Airport.

From there, I take off again to Kobe, Takamatsu Airport (RJOT).

4.jpg.873e4933a84988c3e48467dd051fede8.jpg

Ah Tokio. One of the most iconic parliament buildings, bottom right. I know its distinct silouette ever since I am a kid.

Spoiler

tokyo-the-kaiju-diet-japan-parliament-to

But there's more to see, and there is no visit to Japan without visiting this one:

8.jpg.6720071428945074be4cf5bbb6813de9.jpg

And then to Kobe. The world update is absolutely spectacular.

Onward to Beijing via the Koreas.

• Like 5

I need to start broadening my horizons and fly overseas some. So far have mainly flown in the SE US.

Had to get back to my DCS Hornet last couple of days to finish my controller setups, and now time for some IL-2 PWCG action to finish my controller setups for it.

Edited by dburne

World tour continues. I fly across New Zealand's North Island, and get a good look at the local scenery. In the foreground is Mount Tongariro, a compound volcano. In the background is Mount Raupehu.

The highest part of Tongariro is Ngauruhoe, a classic cone-shaped stratovolcano, which last erupted in 1977. More recent activity seems to be concentrated around the lower peaks to the north.

Raupehu also has things going on inside: earth tremors were being reported only a couple of weeks ago.

My original intention was to land at Wanganui, off to the right here, on the coast next to the river. That clearly wasn't going to work, as cloud right down to the deck (possibly sea mist?) made the runway invisible.

I diverted to Palmerston North airport, 35 nm to the southeast. Or southeastish, anyway - compasses around here get rather confusing as the eastward magnetic declination gets more and more pronounced. It's about 22° here and over 25° by the time you get to the southern tip of South Island.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, 9./JG27golani79 said:

Are there any good 3rd party full fidelity planes yet for FS2020?

Depends what you are looking for, and probably on what you consider 'full fidelity'. There are a few GA aircraft, along with some other oddballs (Aermacchi MB-339, Blériot XI) but nothing for the tubeliner crowd yet - the SDK is unfinished, making it difficult to model some of the complex systems required.

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Depends what you are looking for, and probably on what you consider 'full fidelity'. There are a few GA aircraft, along with some other oddballs (Aermacchi MB-339, Blériot XI) but nothing for the tubeliner crowd yet - the SDK is unfinished, making it difficult to model some of the complex systems required.

Something in the direction of the Accu-sim Comanche 250 from A2A or twin props .. but as the SDK is  unfinished I guess it will still take some time until we´ll see some fully fleshed out modules.

Gonna hold off with buying the FS2020 for the moment then I think.

Thanks for the input!

1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

World tour continues. I fly across New Zealand's North Island, and get a good look at the local scenery. In the foreground is Mount Tongariro, a compound volcano. In the background is Mount Raupehu.

The highest part of Tongariro is Ngauruhoe, a classic cone-shaped stratovolcano, which last erupted in 1977. More recent activity seems to be concentrated around the lower peaks to the north.

Raupehu also has things going on inside: earth tremors were being reported only a couple of weeks ago.

My original intention was to land at Wanganui, off to the right here, on the coast next to the river. That clearly wasn't going to work, as cloud right down to the deck (possibly sea mist?) made the runway invisible.

I diverted to Palmerston North airport, 35 nm to the southeast. Or southeastish, anyway - compasses around here get rather confusing as the eastward magnetic declination gets more and more pronounced. It's about 22° here and over 25° by the time you get to the southern tip of South Island.

:coffee:

Had to do a full reinstall. Something wrong with the planes. I couldn't take off without losing power. I had it on easy with all assists and the plane would just gradually die couldn't figure it out it was visibly full throttle and had never had a problem before. Something also seemed erratic with performance so I think its best this way. Problems started after that new patch or update. If anyone can shed any light on this take off thing (I could just be an idiot) please let me know. This game is driving me mad! But install speeds now seem to be improved!

30 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

Had to do a full reinstall. Something wrong with the planes. I couldn't take off without losing power. I had it on easy with all assists and the plane would just gradually die couldn't figure it out it was visibly full throttle and had never had a problem before. Something also seemed erratic with performance so I think its best this way. Problems started after that new patch or update. If anyone can shed any light on this take off thing (I could just be an idiot) please let me know. This game is driving me mad! But install speeds now seem to be improved!

Have you checked your mixture? I've noticed that the planes need less fuel mixture than you'd expect. I don't think it's realistic currently, but still easy to hold brakes before takeoff, increase throttle a bit, then adjust mixture for best RPM.

3 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Have you checked your mixture? I've noticed that the planes need less fuel mixture than you'd expect. I don't think it's realistic currently, but still easy to hold brakes before takeoff, increase throttle a bit, then adjust mixture for best RPM.

Do you think I need to warm the engines up a bit first? But actually I have/had it set to auto mixture (on the easiest assist setting) just to see if it would work (I'm really just testing performance) so I'm not sure thats it. It was fine one minute, and the next I had props suddenly cutting off on start up. Then they would work, but the plane would lose power and have no speed as I was just getting airborne. I haven't even started trying to learn any modules yet so they should really be flying themselves. Before I had them on medium settings and take off and landing was fine, now with the easiest settings possible I just can't get it to work. Maybe it is a setting but I tried remapping everything so now I'm assuming its a bug (there are similar reports of bugs about throttles suddenly not working on the official forums but they sound a bit different to my situation). Just seemed to start having prop problems after the update, and I'm wondering if it was because I had that prop mod (VR) installed and it may have messed things up.

1 hour ago, unlikely_spider said:

@Wolf8312

I don't think planes in MSFS need to warm up. Have you tried removing everything from the Community folder then trying? Also see if there are any bindings double-mapped.

Yeah thanks that was the last thing I tried before reinstallation. It is possible that some control input got corrupted but I can't think what that could be. Just praying this will fix it!

Edited by Wolf8312
8 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

@Wolf8312

I don't think planes in MSFS need to warm up. Have you tried removing everything from the Community folder then trying? Also see if there are any bindings double-mapped.

Is there an easier way to check if controls are double mapped? I find the control scheme to be rather annoying in that respect as I haven't been able to find a page where it shows what each and every input is mapped to. If I do have a double mapped bind for example MSFS simply tells me "you have mapped this to another device" without telling me what this device is! So I would have to check every controller individually until I find it, when it could be my mouse or steering wheel for all I know!

59 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Silly question but have you got fuel switched on?

I'm thinking maybe one of my axes was double set for mixture. But then mixture and other engine settings should have been automated anyway so... But as I'm doing a reinstall (going on 12 hours now) anyway I guess I'll have to wait and see now!

Edited by Wolf8312
1 hour ago, Wolf8312 said:

Is there an easier way to check if controls are double mapped? I find the control scheme to be rather annoying in that respect as I haven't been able to find a page where it shows what each and every input is mapped to. If I do have a double mapped bind for example MSFS simply tells me "you have mapped this to another device" without telling me what this device is! So I would have to check every controller individually until I find it, when it could be my mouse or steering wheel for all I know!

Sorry, I'm not sure that there is. You can at least change the view to "Assigned" to just see all of the assignments for each peripheral. Then clear out anything that you don't want.

Does anyone know what the city/landmark packs would include. I'd like to get the London one but only if it has a significant portion of the city and will save me from painting terrain myself for hours on end! And the airports? Do they include a significant portion of the surrounding areas of the airports? Would kind of make sense, as once you get up high and away from the airport the quality of the data need not be as high. So how about these packs, worth it or not?

Edited by Wolf8312
56 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

Does anyone know what the city/landmark packs would include. I'd like to get the London one but only if it has a significant portion of the city and will save me from painting terrain myself for hours on end! And the airports? Do they include a significant portion of the surrounding areas of the airports? Would kind of make sense, as once you get up high and away from the airport the quality of the data need not be as high. So how about these packs, worth it or not?

Stock London looks pretty good to me, going into London city is pretty impressive. As to what the terrain has, look at bing maps and then make the buildings 3D, that’s what you get. It’s very, very well done. 

Edited by Hoots
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

I bought the ORBX Sidney scenery just to see what the "premium" stuff looked like in FS2020. It's pretty nice, but unless you have an attachment to a particular area, I'd skip it. I go back to Sidney just to see the scenery and then I leave ten-minutes later an that's that. It's the only scenery I've bought. 

The default scenery is so nice I don't see any point to buying the payware stuff unless, as mentioned, it holds a specific interest to you.

• Upvote 1

The next New Zealand legs of my world tour are on hold for a day or two. ☹️

WindyNZ.png

Crossing the Cook Strait/Te Moana-o-Raukawa (between the North and South islands) in a 50 kt crosswind wasn't really much of an issue beyond adding to the time taken, but flying in that sort of wind over the mountains is likely to be distinctly bumpy. I've seen reports that enough turbulence can actually break an MSFS plane. It looks like it will be raining hard too. I thought it was supposed to be summer there...

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

Does anyone know what the city/landmark packs would include.

I do have the City Landmarks plus the City and Southend Airports.

Hard to tell what exactly is in or not, as you can't switch it on/off in realtime and I'm rather not constantly installing/uninstalling the addon to spot a difference.

But if you've got something specific in mind, I could give it a go at the weekend and post some screenies of it, so you can compare what I see with the addons to what you see without.

:drinks:

Mike

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

I thought it was supposed to be summer there...

Yeah, there's a bit of a difference between flying places and having to fly specific places at a specific time. But If you fly low, you at least wouldn't need the de-ice that you don't have on the Cub.

But even if the weather may be bad, other hings are better. At least setting rpm has now effect on fuel flow in the Baron. I hope they finish the SDK soon.

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

But even if the weather may be bad, other hings are better. At least setting rpm has now effect on fuel flow in the Baron. I hope they finish the SDK soon.

This is good news, I’ve been waiting for something to improve on that front. Although flying has taken a hit as the new dog arrived on Sunday and she’s a complete time absorber.