Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

38 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

They must upped my bandwidth from 40 to 60mps for free. That'll help, and free is good.

Anyone know why they advertise it as 60mps when you really only get 6mps? They always show it ten times higher than you get.

It should be 8x. It's the difference between MBps and Mbps (bytes vs bits, respectively). They want to advertise the larger number, of course. I think you can change what it shows you in Steam, but if you use a site like speedtest.net or fast.com, it will show you Mbps.

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • Upvote 1

One of the most awaited features is the new FDM built from scratch, pretty much à la IL-2 GB / XP stylle - meaning it'll be based in finite element analysis.

The FDM visualization looks a lot like whet one get's when enabling the visual flight model mode in X-Plane 11.

The biggest problem with X-Plane is that is was never a pollished product. The team keeps updating stuff in a rather "erratic" way, and while Austin Meyer has recently started investing again on the flight dynamics, truth is I believe the huge team and budget at the MS / ASOBO headquerters will most probably bring to release a much more fine tuned flight dynamics model.

Add to it an also completely built from sratch weather engine, and there aren't reasons to believe MFS will become a true success.

I've seen images of airfields around where I live and work, and fly from that are 250% better than any freeware / payware add-ons I ever used for either FSX / P3D or X-Plane.

1 hour ago, unlikely_spider said:

It should be 8x. It's the difference between MBps and Mbps (bytes vs bits, respectively). They want to advertise the larger number, of course. I think you can change what it shows you in Steam, but if you use a site like speedtest.net or fast.com, it will show you Mbps.

I got 53 to 59MBps on the test depending on the server, but I've never hit more than 7MBps on a download, and that was on Steam.

24 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I got 53 to 59MBps on the test depending on the server, but I've never hit more than 7MBps on a download, and that was on Steam.

If you mean 53 to 59 Mbps then that makes perfect sense, since 7 MBps = 56 Mbps. I'm not certain but I think that Steam defaults to MBps. Multiply by 8 and you get your download speeds according to your service provider.

I've never had an issue maxing out my connection download speeds on Steam, but I'm in the Washington DC area.

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • Upvote 1

D'oh. I might have to pause my X-Plane add-on hiatus for the Toliss A319.

That thing just looks too sweet to pass.

On 1/12/2020 at 2:12 PM, jarg1 said:

I'm sure I'll pick up a copy but probably won't fly until they get VR sorted out.

The Microsoft team said that this was THE number 1 question they got asked after announcing the endeavor. 

This is looking good...

1 hour ago, SeaW0lf said:

This is looking good...

Very impressive! Especially the distant sounds, echoed by the mountains at 4:45...

• Like 1

The cockpits are just incredible, plus the sounds... Damn.

21 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

The cockpits are just incredible, plus the sounds... Damn.

They're almost going Accusim. Incredible.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

They're almost going Accusim. Incredible.

From what it appears, Accu-sim is an engine (I'm not used to general aviation sims), but it can’t compare with the cockpits I'm seeing from MSF2020. They are in another level.

4 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

From what it appears, Accu-sim is an engine (I'm not used to general aviation sims), but it can’t compare with the cockpits I'm seeing from MSF2020. They are in another level.

It is an external program that does what FSX cannot do and it has evolved considerably. It is remarkable to see that the stock flight sim now comes up with functionality that at least in part does what Accusim was tailored to do.

In the end, it now seems to me that now it just comes down to how exact a dev is willing to record and flight test an aircraft rather than technological limitations. What is interesting now is what the top developpers can make of the functionality given. Just thinking of FS2020 expanded in a way FSX was expanded in capability and scope... This will be a whole new level.

I'm just happy being hooked up with 1Gb fibre. I'll be using that it seems...

• Like 1

Well, I might have to upgrade my internet plan 😂

On 1/1/2020 at 9:59 AM, CanadaOne said:

I hope this thing uses multiple CPU cores and doesn't just need one running at 8GHz.

For this, I'd splurge on a 3700X.

From one of their later video talks I pretty sure I heard that it takes advantage of multiple cores - which would be a first in PC gaming.

E3786669-5601-456E-AEE2-D8D026EEAD12.png

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

From one of their later video talks I pretty sure I heard that it takes advantage of multiple cores - which would be a first in PC gaming.

E3786669-5601-456E-AEE2-D8D026EEAD12.png

Only flightsimming though, no?

I've seen CPU test videos on youtube where some games eat up all the cores.

Could be on other games but so far no flight sims that I’m aware of. Please correct me if I’m wrong. I do have IL2 with sliders right in VR and runs well. There was a great thread concerning this matter if I ever run across it I’ll post.

Il2 is using six cores most of the time, but a lot of things are done on a single core. I've seen one core run at 100% while the rest sit there on multiple occasions wile playing.

DCS is a bit better in that respect, but the game is bigger and more complex.  

I recorded a quick mission in DCS that shows the CPU usage in a simple of line quick mission.  This is recorded at 1440p, so most of the time my CPU is waiting on my older 1080TI to build the frames. At 1080p i would get higher frames and the CPU would work harder, but this are the settings i play at.

Edited by Jaws2002

Waiting to see if this thing makes use of multiple cores. If it does, gonna get a 3700X I think.

I think it will rather be making use of multiple internet connections  😎

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Haha 3

Wonder if this thing will need it's own 500GB SSD.

8 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Wonder if this thing will need it's own 500GB SSD.

I suspect that will depend on how much scenery you want to download in advance. With a fast internet connection, you may be able to stream it as you need it, requiring less storage. I use shared Wifi, which can be a bit erratic, so I'm planning that my new rig (which is about due anyway) will have a 1TB SSD just for simulations. I'll probably fill it within a year or two...

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

I suspect that will depend on how much scenery you want to download in advance. With a fast internet connection, you may be able to stream it as you need it, requiring less storage. I use shared Wifi, which can be a bit erratic, so I'm planning that my new rig (which is about due anyway) will have a 1TB SSD just for simulations. I'll probably fill it within a year or two...

I got a new video card but the rest of the rig upgrade will have to wait until spring I think. But a 1TB SSD does sound good. BOX is pretty small so that's on my 250GB C:/ drive SSD, but Steam/DCS (about 200GB) is on it's own 500GB SSD. A 1TB Crucial SSD is pretty cheap, so that's an easy upgraded option.

They upped my 40MBs net connection to 60 MBs for free, that was good. But I'd still like to have some FS2020 scenery stored away, might make for smoother flights.

IMHO it still looks something like a nice "Earth from Above" ... nature relaxation movie to me.

If OTOH it would feature VR too and warplanes/warbirds, tanks, AA ... then this would surely be the "Biggest Game of the Year" because it would really matter what you could accomplish in this huge sandbox game-world.  

For this I am hoping the 'new' microprose will make a war/conflict title that I, personally, would be interested in.

Until then it will only be IL-2 (and DCS) for me, but of course ... YMMV. 

On 1/11/2020 at 11:18 PM, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

Imma put it like this: I have stopped buying and planning any Payware for XP11 the very Second the MSFS2020 Announcement came.

I will also look closely to this one. Many things speak for the good on this one

1 hour ago, LuseKofte said:

I will also look closely to this one. Many things speak for the good on this one

PMDG DC-6, and maybe, just maybe TeamX's DC-2 will be revived.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

I'm planning that my new rig (which is about due anyway) will have a 1TB SSD just for simulations. I'll probably fill it within a year or two...

The speed mines filled up,  buy 2🤣

33 minutes ago, DD_fruitbat said:

The speed mines filled up,  buy 2🤣

:good:

I have three...

• Haha 1

And they release the next Dev. update today!!  Once more, all I can say is: R.I.P.  X-Plane &  P3D.  These guys are totaly crazy...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Semor76 said:

Once more, all I can say is: R.I.P.  X-Plane &  P3D

Not completely sure at this point. It sure looks nice out of the box, but it has a comic'ish look to it.

Let's see how the atmosphere-model works out and how deep they'll depict the aircraft-systems.

Wow after all this time after abandoning the franchise hard to believe MS is putting all this effort into what at least appears will

be a great civilian flight sim.

Now if they would just get off their butts and go ahead and add VR support.

I think VR does not go well wil all this eye candy. If say that sim came out and you could make it give you 30 FPS in a setting remotely looking as shown on the promo videos, then what would be the point?

7 hours ago, Semor76 said:

And they release the next Dev. update today!!  Once more, all I can say is: R.I.P.  X-Plane &  P3D.  These guys are totaly crazy...

Absolutely. Glad to see some improvements to ground service vehicles with animated persons, luggage, Ground power cord, etc (Though they were available in FSX/P3D with GSX). No more slingshotting planes during pushback, baggage carts at planes for 5 minutes. 

Airport tech looks very great and really looking forward to playing this game.

6 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Not completely sure at this point. It sure looks nice out of the box, but it has a comic'ish look to it.

Let's see how the atmosphere-model works out and how deep they'll depict the aircraft-systems.

Mate, dont be so sceptical 😉 I´m in the recent alpha tester cycle as we speak, and I´m pretty sure that the people around the Asobo team will do their homework right this time. Just look at all the previous Dev. blogs/Vids. It speaks for itself.

This will be the flight sim what so many of us dreamed of for years or decades.

Edited by Semor76
  • Like 1