Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

It looks like the update may have made one of my payware purchases (DRZEWIECKI DESIGN Washington Landmarks) obsolete as well as the freeware Kittyhawk scenery from Vertical Sim.  Waiting for the update to download to confirm though...

3 hours ago, DBFlyguy said:

It looks like the update may have made one of my payware purchases (DRZEWIECKI DESIGN Washington Landmarks) obsolete as well as the freeware Kittyhawk scenery from Vertical Sim.  Waiting for the update to download to confirm though...

I was wondering about that, since I have that payware as well. But if they only updated a few key landmarks, then the Drzewiecki Design DC would still be worth it.

I work in downtown DC (at least I did pre-covid) and recognize many of the downtown buildings that are customized in the payware as opposed to just the famous landmarks. I haven't fired up MSFS to see what the update made DC look like yet though.

Edit - I just went in and Drzewiecki Design's DC is still better than the Asobo updates. They added a few landmarks, as I anticipated, but still other major landmarks such as RFK stadium and the armory are not there, and the Smithsonian museums are much better (and more accurate) in the DD payware.

Edited by unlikely_spider
2 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

Edit - I just went in and Drzewiecki Design's DC is still better than the Asobo updates. They added a few landmarks, as I anticipated, but still other major landmarks such as RFK stadium and the armory are not there, and the Smithsonian museums are much better (and more accurate) in the DD payware.

Yep, agree! Crisis averted LOL 

Downloading a 9.7GB update, it's the USA scenery package. :biggrin:

Might be up late tonight. 

EDIT: Bozo me didn't read the thread , I thought I was first. That's it, time to start drinking.

Edited by CanadaOne

Got around to updating this yesterday, haven't started it for a while, so 29 gigs later, lol....

Turned it up to ultra, with which my Rtx 2080 Ti and 8 cores @ 5.0ghz and superfast fibre, can just about get mid 30 fps in 4K, lol.

But damn those clouds look amazing.....

• Upvote 1

My new toy. 😎

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-20

Où est l'Angleterre?

L'Angleterre est là! 
Note the altimeter-only head-up display. 🙂

Douvres!

The hardest thing about landing was controlling power. The throttle and mixture have next to no effect, so you have to blip the ignition on and off. Carefully, so you don't cut the engine entirely too soon. No brakes, so try to land on a flat spot.

The Blériot XI comes in three versions - one with a 50 HP Gnome, which I was flying (which boasts such advanced features as a rate of climb 😉), and two with 25 HP Anzani engines, which differ in the flight model. Louis Blériot made his crossing in an Anzani-powered one, in poor visibility. A brave man.

https://wing42.com/en/msfs-addons/29-bleriot-xi-for-msfs.html

€19.99 (£17.84/$23.70 at current exchange rates) so not cheap, but worth it for anyone into flying something different.

• Upvote 3

The elevator is neutral, and I wasn't really using it for pitch control much - instead using power to climb/descend. The wing-warping lateral control is rather ineffective, whereas the rudder is oversensitive, making steep turns inadvisable. This was with the Gnome-powered version, which has the flight model toned down a bit - the second Anzani-powered version is supposed to be the most authentic, though I've not tried it yet.

• Confused 1

Made me just browse again through the "Bible" on Blériot.

41Ok3hjHZ3L._SY373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

But I don't think they got the flight mechanics right at all then. You need to keep pushing the stick forward all the time, as the plane is very tail heavy. It produces considerable strain fling a longer time. Also, as the wings are always at a high AoA, you have no aileron controls to speak of, all you have is a device producing adverse yaw. You guide the aircraft by yaw control. The ailerons are just there to stabilize the aircraft in bank induced by the rudder.

The fatigue from holding the stick in the cold killed Geo Chavez by stalling out in landing after he crossed the Alps over the Simplon Pass. The ailerons not being ailerons made Bléroits grandson only go as far as a nearby Duckpond instead of over the Channel to England. Mikael Carlson did much better. "These planes last forever if you give them enough tender love and care." High maintenance I'd say. But of all, he's the guy for that.

Edited by ZachariasX

If other people want to try to reproduce the control forces from a 1909 aircraft on a 2020 spring-balanced PC joystick, that's fine by me. I see no reason why I should be made uncomfortable in an entirely-unrealistic attempt to be 'authentic' though, since what I'm flying it with bears no resemblance to the control wheel in the Blériot. And that's all I'm interested in saying on the subject, since it's already been done to death in RoF.

• Upvote 1

I was more curious about what the developpers see in that aircraft. But especially with such old crates, they better do what they are comfortable doing. Ultimately, It is about having fun with it. Looks nice and you just made me browse through a great book I haven't taken from the shelves in a while. And that is fun too.

Edit: You mentioned Anzani and the absence of climb rates. As it turns out, that is optional:

Spoiler

1012.thumb.jpg.4bf0bbb8019aaccf5f3cc79574317560.jpg

That is just the right ride to fight traffic downton.

Edited by ZachariasX

That's mean.

But if it comes to that, never ever use helicopters to retrieve your crate. The air stream from the rotor broke the airplane in pieces. They then still had to fetch the boat that they should have waited for in the first place. Don't be hasty with old crates. "These planes last forever if you give them enough tender love and care."

I've just tried the 'realistic flight model' Anzani-powered Blériot. 😲Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-20

Taking off was um, interesting, since it accelerates worse than it climbs: i.e. almost imperceptibly. Once in the air, lots of adverse yaw with the wing-warping, and no directional stability at all. Not really sure about the pitch response, since I was mostly concentrating on going vaguely forwards, rather than sideways. The engine cuts if you throttle back too far. A true aviator's avion.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

That's mean.

But if it comes to that, never ever use helicopters to retrieve your crate. The air stream from the rotor broke the airplane in pieces. They then still had to fetch the boat that they should have waited for in the first place. Don't be hasty with old crates. "These planes last forever if you give them enough tender love and care."

I'm pretty sure thats the rescue of the pilot rather than the plane? 

30 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

I'm pretty sure thats the rescue of the pilot rather than the plane? 

I think this photo is from Gloria Pullens try to cross the channel on July 26th, 1989. That one ended two miles short of Dover. The engine just quit.

Yes, they did pick her up with that helicopter, but then they thought they could pick up the plane as well. That was not a god idea as it blew the light aircraft off the hook and it smashed back on the water. Ironically, it suffered little damage from the landing in the water. The the second drop did a lot of harm.

They might as well have just waited for the boat.

2 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

I've just tried the 'realistic flight model' Anzani-powered Blériot. 😲Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-20

Taking off was um, interesting, since it accelerates worse than it climbs: i.e. almost imperceptibly. Once in the air, lots of adverse yaw with the wing-warping, and no directional stability at all. Not really sure about the pitch response, since I was mostly concentrating on going vaguely forwards, rather than sideways. The engine cuts if you throttle back too far. A true aviator's avion.

Liking the fact that adverse yaw is accurately modelled. Speaks well of the flight modelling. 

2 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

End of december the VR update will be released, by that time I do hope finally get an 6800XT or RTX3080. 

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/76464/microsoft-flight-sim-getting-full-vr-support-in-december-update/index.html

I rather stop flying than invest in such hardware next two years. It is simply not worth my ten minutes of flying each week

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Did another leg on my a-bit-farther-than-around-the-world-trip, this time from the Aéroport de Santiago de Cuba to Saba. This via Haiti, the Dominican Rep. and the V.I.'s. This time, I didn't ajdust time and took off corresponding my local time. Not a good idea, as South eastern Cuba is a one dark place, Port-au-Prince the first light to speak off after a good hour of flight.

1_Baranoha_DomRep.jpg.13c9258f990842e3bf96855ba9f77039.jpg

Finally dawn, over Baranoha, Dom.Rep.. They really mnaged to get scene lightning superb in this sim.

2_IslaMona.jpg.d0169f524a8b5493433810603579128e.jpg

Passing the Dominican Republic, I arrive over Isla Mona. As bland as it gets. I generally have mixed feelings about the Carribiean. Most Islands are really basic once you leave your resort. Very much unlike Italy for instance.

4_PuertoRico_Boqueron.jpg.aa26c3c85350abc2ac3a8e4df7900621.jpg

Arriving over Puerto Rico, the city of Boqueron just behind me.

5_PuertoRico_SanJuan.jpg.a47f16c84ef4cc05db81db3ade0ddac2.jpg

San Juan. It does have a very nice old town with the fortifications (just above the aircraft). In the sim, it doesn't exist as such, but is bland and procedural. The beaches are nice as well, but the same as everywhere in the Carribean with the downside that you're facing the open open ocean, meaning when weather is moving in, you get a ton of swell and the hotel pool is usually preferable if you need to soak.

6_PuertoRico_SanJuan.jpg.9509716218986820556129f119f6ceca.jpg

The San Juan airport is made rather nice in the current default scenery.

7_USVI_Charlotte.jpg.52d4df75a2b4c36c782c81daceb278cf.jpg

Charlotte, American V. I. As posh and pretty as it is, a remote place.

8_enroute_StJohn_n_BVI.jpg.bbcc4f880a9d81ad423a427009e5d578.jpg

Ideal scenery for a pirate galley sim. St. John and B.V.I ahead.

9_TNCS.jpg.81e2e474c19e0d44d482e6d565bbd951.jpg

last waypoint, TNCS on Carribean Netherlands. Lots of airport for that Island. But If you need to go to Schiphol nonstop, then you need lotsa runway. Still, it is a place in the sim scenery that could be improved by payware.

10_Saba.jpg.429e6b8d5ff3006cbc01e0e1ffc9c958.jpg

Saba. A mountain in the sea.

11_Saba.jpg.f0f128c4e78af930ed90ac2a84864022.jpg

This friggin' runway is mighty short for the Baron and I needed every meter of it. I had a bit of tailwind as well, but try runway 12. :o:

Next flight will be down the Windward Islands to Isla Margerita. For sentimental reasons. I have been there a couple of times when it was not a bad idea to do so.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

So I succumbed to buying the MB-339 today to get a slightly faster fix in this, and whist its not a grey jet, it goes someway to scratching that itch....

The clouds in this game are just something else, it doesn't really matter to me at the moment where I'm flying, just give me broken clouds!!!!! I love them!!!!

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Has anybody seen Andy lately?

Some say, he's on his way to Scotland...

Nope. Back in something a little faster, currently flying across Pakistan. That's the Indus river. Nice to see some greenery on my world trip after nothing but sand, rocks and sea since I left Africa. 

Fun as the  Blériot is, I wouldn't recommend it for a tour of anything larger than the Isle of Wight.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
On 11/8/2020 at 11:03 AM, ZachariasX said:

I'm starting to experience frametime slowdowns due to 'CoherentGTDraw' suddenly suddnly chocking the whole system. From what I could gather, it is a plugin that draws the Garmin screens or the NAV window. There in no setting in the GFX options to alleviate the issue once you have it. It starts about one hour into the flight, dropping my FPS from 30+ to 10+.

CoherentGTDraw is from Coherent Lab's GT which is part of "Gameface", s a middleware for making GUIs. So it could be any element of the UI, HUD or airplane displays causing it.

• Thanks 1

I saw that error mentioned often with the glass cockpit displays and activating the VFR map.

At least in the least, the issue didn't manifest anymore on my end, even before the next updates came. Something triggered it and I had it, some restarts later it was (luckily) not reproducibla anymore. Fingers crossed. It is aways an issue when you inherit complexity in your design.

11 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Where did you get that Long-EZ?

It is in the this "marketplace" thing.. I thought I just waste some money and try it out, but I actually like it. It is not overly sophisticated, but it flies nice and fast with good visibility and feels good, so it is nice to explore cities or places

• Like 1