Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

10 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Tycoon, my point is that you stated that MS 'wanted' something. Without any evidence that they do. 

Everything I've said is my personal speculation, I'm not claiming anything as fact.

4 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Yeah, this is all off-topic anyway. If the discussion belonged anywhere (which is questionable, given the lack of anything concrete) it would probably be in a thread entitled 'combat flight simulators we'd like to imagine existing' or something.

Lol alright I'll stop now, but really this is all very casual speculation, just me stating why I think cfs is coming, I don't know why it bothered you so much, it shouldn't.🤷‍♂️

Edited by Tycoon

I just try to think how much work it will be to tune the FS20 world back seventy years in time. For how much more business really? There‘s still WT and GB on both ends of the spectrum in that market. The ones ready to spend money for shooting up things in aircraft already do so and buy both from GB or DCS.

If you are going for the DCS market, then there is P3Dpro out there already. LM actually turned what once was FSX into a full fledged combat sim. And that runs now DX12 and VR is a big thing for LM. It is deliberately priced outside the gameing maket, but as for professionals, such a sim is there. And it looks good enough. That market is not interested in lots of aspects that make a game a good game. You can see that in products A2A Simulations is creating for the Air Force. While flight model and systems are the same level, lots of other things like a maintenance hangar, persistent damage, specific wear of parts etc. are simply not required. Both DCS and P3Dpro happily coexist in the „professional“ market, as Russia is certainly not buying from LM to train their crews and vice versa.

As of now, MS better invests in getting what they have now somewhat functional beyond the „ooohhh“ and „aaahhh“ looks. If it wasn‘t for the awesomeness of the looks, FS20 would have gotten a trashing in reviews. Make no mistake, ANY simulator released took years to make it work. FS20 is no different. 

Back on topic, I made more progress on my world tour today. And even caught the occasional glimpse of Africa through holes in the cloud. Abidjan to Lomé. I'm trying to decide whether I should cut across the ocean to Douala (Cameroon) on my next leg, or follow the coast via Nigeria, and do it in two legs. If it is going to remain as cloudy as this, I may as well take the direct route. 

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-10-15-08-56-51-8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
23 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Difficult to judge whether anything is worth the money as I suppose it depends on personal circumstances but as an addition to MS flight sim it’s a delight. Very pleasant to fly, looks gorgeous and has some really nice features.  I’ve never flown anything with an Xbox controller before and as you can tell there’s a certain lack of fine adjustment just when you need it most. The drone camera function is a lovely touch 👍

Yes, the drone camera with the Xbox controller works really well - just wish the Active Pause wasn't such a calamity!

I'm eagerly awaiting the VR implementation - still can't get used to pancake flying no matter how much I try, so I think I'll maybe grab the Mooney once I'm back in 3D and can really enjoy the great views from that cockpit :)

(Reverb G2 on pre-order, so hopefully not too much longer to wait 🤷‍♂️)

I want to do some long distance touring but I haven't found the right plane yet. I want to be able to go fast when I want and have a ton of cockpit visibility. That means either a WWII fighter or a modern jet. As stated, I'd drop good cash this very second to have my DCS Harrier ported over, drop tanks and all. That would be the best of all worlds. 

VSTOL-ing all over the world. Be still my heart... :rolleyes:

While a Harrier wouldn't be the first thing to come to mind if I was suggesting an aircraft for an MSFS world tour, I can see the attraction. Fly fast. Fly slow. Land anywhere. Sounds good.

Trying to do it in the real world would be a logistic nightmare, I'd imagine. Probably end up ingesting just a little too much sand on some obscure airfield, and having to get a new engine shipped out. Though I suppose if you can afford a Harrier in the first place, you can probably afford the running costs. 😀

3 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Here is a perfect toy for fs 2020

Needs a propeller. Real aeroplanes have at least one propeller, preferably more. And odd smells. And a tendency to leak. Where's my PBY?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
57 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I want to do some long distance touring but I haven't found the right plane yet. I want to be able to go fast when I want and have a ton of cockpit visibility. That means either a WWII fighter or a modern jet. As stated, I'd drop good cash this very second to have my DCS Harrier ported over, drop tanks and all. That would be the best of all worlds. 

I'm hanging on for a Dragon Rapide or similar golden oldie.  I don't care much for the default aircraft with their plastic dashboards and new car smell.

• Upvote 2

I'm doing my round the world trip in the Mooney + the Garmin 530 mod. It's a pretty extended trip at 65,000nm so going to take a while considering most legs I've planned out are around the 100nm mark. Made it down from Donegal through UK, France, Alps, Croatia, Greece and into North Africa now with Carthage next stop. Regularly blows my mind how good the standard scenery looks e.g. just a random screenshot somewhere not far from Tripoli yesterday:

2049775354_Screenshot(196).thumb.png.614ea990e56beebd7a88d79f7614085f.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Tycoon said:

An airbus is more accessible than a me 109?

Sadly, that seems to be the case - reading the civilian flight sim forums, users are clamoring daily (if not hourly) for their PMDG, FSL etc etc aftermarket tubeliners, and I have yet to see one person asking for a Bf109, FW190, or Yak variant.  Maybe one or two references to a P-51 or P-38.   It's just a different crowd.  Which in a way I am grateful for... lots of those folks who consider themselves to be the penultimate "hardcore simmers" don't like us combat-type hooligans polluting the purity of their SIDS/STARS procedures, RNAV/GPS approaches or any other acronyms they use to re-create the thrilling excitement of flying a load of business people and screaming infants on the Cleveland to Boise redeye run.    I'm not in that group to be sure, and I had GREAT times in CFS1, 2 and 3 (was C/O for a great squad with 24 pilots, some of us still stay in contact today) and I do agree that flying combat missions over exact, real scenery anywhere in the world (Pacific!!!!) would be fantastic.  But when I see the default planes focusing on so many pedestrian training rides such as the Robin DR400, Pipistrel Virus, CTLS, Diamond DV20, DA40-TDI, DA-40-NG and no less than 3 tandem taildraggers that are based on the Cub (but alas, no real Cub), with a smattering of exciting planes like the Pitts and Extra thrown in to placate us adrenaline junkies, it does appear that MS went with a plane selection that was meant to be friendly, approachable and juuuust a tad more "PC" than a Stuka.

18 hours ago, Tycoon said:

I say by 2022 it's at least announced.

Sounds good - I make that to be 14 and a half months.  We'll see each other back here in Jan 2022.  If you want a few extra months as a Mulligan just say the word.  😉

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it happen but I just can't feature it at this point.

On 10/14/2020 at 4:41 PM, messsucher said:

I never heard anyone talking about CFS3. Yesterday saw the game first time in Youtube, missed nothing.

Well that's because you didn't see this horrifically cool old video from me and my beloved flying Swines!  It was fun if you accepted it for what it was (apologies in advance for flying in WonderWoman mode, but that was the popular server setting). 

It's got nuthin' on IL2 though!

Edited by Stoopy
26 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Sadly, that seems to be the case - reading the civilian flight sim forums, users are clamoring daily (if not hourly) for their PMDG, FSL etc etc aftermarket tubeliners, and I have yet to see one person asking for a Bf109, FW190, or Yak variant.  Maybe one or two references to a P-51 or P-38.   It's just a different crowd.  Which in a way I am grateful for... lots of those folks who consider themselves to be the penultimate "hardcore simmers" don't like us combat-type hooligans polluting the purity of their SIDS/STARS procedures, RNAV/GPS approaches or any other acronyms they use to re-create the thrilling excitement of flying a load of business people and screaming infants on the Cleveland to Boise redeye run.    I'm not in that group to be sure, and I had GREAT times in CFS1, 2 and 3 (was C/O for a great squad with 24 pilots, some of us still stay in contact today) and I do agree that flying combat missions over exact, real scenery anywhere in the world (Pacific!!!!) would be fantastic.  But when I see the default planes focusing on so many pedestrian training rides such as the Robin DR400, Pipistrel Virus, CTLS, Diamond DV20, DA40-TDI, DA-40-NG and no less than 3 tandem taildraggers that are based on the Cub (but alas, no real Cub), with a smattering of exciting planes like the Pitts and Extra thrown in to placate us adrenaline junkies, it does appear that MS went with a plane selection that was meant to be friendly, approachable and juuuust a tad more "PC" than a Stuka.

Sounds good - I make that to be 14 and a half months.  We'll see each other back here in Jan 2022.  If you want a few extra months as a Mulligan just say the word.  😉

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it happen but I just can't feature it at this point.

Well that's because you didn't see this horrifically cool old video from me and my beloved flying Swines!  It was fun if you accepted it for what it was (apologies in advance for flying in WonderWoman mode, but that was the popular server setting). 

Yeah, the thing was that a new WW1/2 sim was usually better or more fun than anything before it, we could only dream of something better, nothing better existed. So all those old flying sims were good for the time being. IL-2 changed this, and I never heard anyone talking about anything else anymore, except when doing memoirs of old games and when CoD hype begat.

Very good flying by the way in that and excellent deflection shooting. You had that back then it seems.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Stoopy said:

Woah there, I said by 2022, don't be trying to shave it down to the last millisecond.😁 

1 hour ago, Stoopy said:

No one flying the p 51 though.:ph34r:

44 minutes ago, Tycoon said:

Woah there, I said by 2022, don't be trying to shave it down to the last millisecond.😁 

My bad, didn't mean to make you nervous.    Just work habit - when a project has to be deployed "by" May, that means it's late on May 2.   By COB means that evening, not the next morning.  So if you meant within 2022, that's cool... like I said, pick your date.  We'll catch up on this in Jan 2023.  Give or take a generous amount of milliseconds. 😁

44 minutes ago, Tycoon said:

No one flying the p 51 though.:ph34r:

Those guys were always the first to get shot down in that sim.  Like I said, it had nuthin' on IL2.   😆

Edited by Stoopy
4 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

My bad, didn't mean to make you nervous.    Just work habit - when a project has to be deployed "by" May, that means it's late on May 2.   By COB means that evening, not the next morning.  So if you meant within 2022, that's cool... like I said, pick your date.  We'll catch up on this in Jan 2023.  Give or take a generous amount of milliseconds. 😁

Oh come on no game dev in history ever meant that when they said by a certain year.🤪

9 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Those guys were always the first to get shot down in that sim.  Like I said, it had nuthin' on IL2.   😆

I played cfs3 as a kid, when you're young you don't get things like good or bad flight models, all I knew was the p 51 couldn't do anything, not even a loop, always got destroyed.

Funny thing is still had more fun than I do now.😔

15 minutes ago, Tycoon said:

Oh come on no game dev in history ever meant that when they said by a certain year.🤪

I'm glad we're getting the wiggle words for your bet out of the way early then.  👍

25 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

I'm glad we're getting the wiggle words for your bet out of the way early then.  👍

Take it easy was just making a joke about game devs.😉 All in good fun.

Edited by Tycoon

A fast mover, and i will fire the game up again.

I've learnt that ga flying in cesenas and like aircraft does absolutely nothing for me. Same for passenger big jets.

Give me a proper jet or ww2 warbird and I'm back in. 

Edited by DD_fruitbat
1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

Jets?... BAH HUMBUG!

Low and slow is well covered already. Need a fast mover for some cross country, canyon runs, and high altitude goodness. 

I'd prefer an F-104 of course, but I'll settle for the MB-339 for now.

12 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Then I guess you won't be interested in this? (check out that tasty croissant!!)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/931310/Airplane_Mode/

Looks er...uninteresting.  Will it simulate my last, long-distance airline journey I wonder? 

The man at passport control at Kingsford Smith inquired why my shirt was soaking wet and I had to explain the nice little old lady I was sitting next to had spent the last six hours of the flight asleep and intermittently dribbling down my shoulder.

Modern air travel?  Love it:(

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Then I guess you won't be interested in this? (check out that tasty croissant!!)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/931310/Airplane_Mode/

Then you guessed right!... I think it would be good for prisoner handling and interrogation techniques though.  

If I was a captive and forced to play through that garbage non stop for 24hrs I'd tell them anything they wanted to know...

5 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Looks er...uninteresting.  Will it simulate my last, long-distance airline journey I wonder? 

The man at passport control at Kingsford Smith inquired why my shirt was soaking wet and I had to explain the nice little old lady I was sitting next to had spent the last six hours of the flight asleep and intermittently dribbling down my shoulder.

Modern air travel?  Love it:(

I hear you.  I can't help but think the whole thing is tongue in cheek.  "All the thrills of a six-hour commercial flight in coach"... The video part where the user lifted the window shade to reveal a scenic view of the top of the wing says it all!

40 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

I hear you.  I can't help but think the whole thing is tongue in cheek.  "All the thrills of a six-hour commercial flight in coach"... The video part where the user lifted the window shade to reveal a scenic view of the top of the wing says it all!

You could have a point.  The success of Goat simulator has shown the market is diverse - with a sense of humour:salute:.  

I did like one of the comments;  "this should be an add-on for MSFS 2020" 

Couldn't resist the lure of MSFS2020 and my Xbox controller late last night.

Out of curiosity I made my settings 'Ultra' and spun the globe looking for inspiration.  

Daybreak over Tokyo:wacko:

• Upvote 3
23 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

They could have dropped one of the tubeliners. And made a Dakota or something. 
That is really my only complaint so far. 

I would have liked to have seen at least one military plane. Something fast with good visibility. FSX had an F-18 and I think P3D even has an F-22.

4 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Nice!  I'm continuing my indoor world tour.  I'm hoping to follow the east coast until I reach escape velocity and can leave Australia.

Last night I passed through Sydney and visited Oprah's house.  :happy:

608103622_Screenshot(99).thumb.png.8b5b91c4c6deed92288f770a0bd71c33.png

I always thought the acoustics on that talk show were too good for a normal set...