Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

47 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Okay,  the marketplace does not want to take my money - again:(.  I can download stuff from Orbyx directly and it works fine but the games market place? 

Nada........

You know. Issues like that make me «tic» a fuse. You have my sympathy  these are the things make me uninstall and not look back.  
I had this issue of being able to buy and download. But it would not show. I had to uninstall Intel software. 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Okay,  a couple of hours buggering about and finally found the answer on the AV-Sim forums and it's to do with having to link a payment method to the Xbox live account.

Is this something to do with Bill Gates sense of self-guilt or something?  Is there something Freudian going on here? 

He feels bad about raking in so much loot over the years that anyone trying to give him more has to have lead weights secured to their testicles with piano wire?

:wacko:

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

anyone trying to give him more has to have lead weights secured to their testicles with piano wire?

Some people would pay good money for that

Loving the journey so far.  Is there any way to reduce the font or the brightness of the air traffic controller?  It’s pretty huge and especially distracting at night.   I was also wondering if there was an auto-level feature in there, similar to what Il-2 enjoys.  

4 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Okay,  a couple of hours buggering about and finally found the answer on the AV-Sim forums and it's to do with having to link a payment method to the Xbox live account.

Is this something to do with Bill Gates sense of self-guilt or something?  Is there something Freudian going on here? 

He feels bad about raking in so much loot over the years that anyone trying to give him more has to have lead weights secured to their testicles with piano wire?

:wacko:

Ol' Billy's been out of the game for years at this point. I can't even remember which chucklehead is in charge of microsoft now but I guess he doesn't like money?

4 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Some people would pay good money for that

Loving the journey so far.  Is there any way to reduce the font or the brightness of the air traffic controller?  It’s pretty huge and especially distracting at night.   I was also wondering if there was an auto-level feature in there, similar to what Il-2 enjoys.  

I think you find font size in settings. Also how realistic fm you want. 
some airplanes have autopilot. Those with gps

Guys, don't know if anyone is interested but FSEconomy is back up and running... Just been assigned my new account (took a couple of days as they are doing it all manually) so will be giving it a go later.

I gave up waiting on FSEconomy and went with OnAir. The UI in OnAir looks a lot nicer to work with. It's not free though as costs about €2/month but seems worth it so far to me just to add a little more purpose to the game sometimes.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I still have problems downloading files for some of the updates in the down load manager... anyone else having the same problem?

Some but not all?  I had the problem I could dl but it did nothing

4 hours ago, Hoots said:

FSEconomy

What is it? I missed this entirely 

1 hour ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

What is it? I missed this entirely 

https://www.fseconomy.net/

It's a way of doing flights to earn money etc, kind of like a virtual airline / cargo thing. It's pretty detailed but the UI is not the most user friendly, it is very free though. Basically you choose an airport, choose a job, choose the aircraft etc and fly. Lots of factors to influence your decisions, (eg wet or dry rental). Adds a bit of structure to the flight rather  than just sight seeing.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday I took the plunge and bought the premium deluxe version after the enthusiasm I saw in this thread. Holy hell, this has the makings of a great sim! The avionics needs a little work but for being only 3 months old, I'm impressed. Better visuals than any FAA certified sim I've sat in. I thought anything without combat would be boring; happy to be wrong! Let me chime in with a buy recommendation if you are even remotely interested in flying VFR/IFR anywhere in the world. The scope of what's offered is just an absolute bargain if you're looking for a true "sim" experience.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
7 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I still have problems downloading files for some of the updates in the down load manager... anyone else having the same problem?

Yeah, I've got this with a couple of things;  San Francisco and Heathrow airports show an update available but they won't....update:(.

I'm d/ling' the latest update now so fingers crossed it might sort itself out! 

Edit; all looking good and everything downloaded after the latest updates:salute:

Edited by DD_Arthur
On 10/10/2020 at 11:23 AM, AndyJWest said:

I really don't understand why people keep going on about MS making some sort of air combat sim from their current civ sim. Nothing they have said publicly suggests that they have the slightest intention on doing so, and beyond looking good, having aircraft in it, and possibly some of the weather modelling features, there is next to nothing that could be usefully ported over.

Back like 20 years ago Microsoft made CFS, the latest one being CFS3 in 2002. AFAIK, CFS3 was the last CFS by Microsoft (Shockwave, now A2A released an add-on called Firepower in 2004). I’m sure that after they released CFS3 they knew that if they were to go on to a 4th one, it had to be someplace different than the Western Front. Comparing IL-2 2001 and FB to CFS3 they knew what game was better, and probably decided that it wasn’t worth going ahead for a 4th CFS. Not 100% sure on why exactly they stopped at CFS3, or if I’m correct for my former statement, but I feel that was one of the reasons.

For myself, I still somewhat enjoy CFS3 as primarily the flyable B-26 and the full map of the Western Front.

Considering all of the realistic scenery and effects, etc. in FS2020, it would make sense for someone to suggest that the developers should consider do a CFS. Obviously not now, but later. I would advocate more for a helicopter in that game than doing a CFS.

If they did go on for a CFS I think WW2 is now out of the picture; quite likely WW1, but they could try Korea or Vietnam.

Are there any Korea or Vietnam war combat flight sims out there?

They did not stop after the CFS 3. The 4th was in the works from what I know, having the technology between FS2004 and FSX. They were developing TrainSim 2, too. But in January 2009, the Aces Studio was closed.

Yes, when I fly the FS2020 I dream to have a warbird in such an environment!

Edited by 1PL-Lucas-1Esk
13 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

I had a go at flying out of Port Moresby, over the Owen Stanley ranges and on to Lae/Finchschafen.  Took an overloaded turboprop and flew it in live weather, which happened to be a thunderstorm.  

Damn near made it too. 

There's currently a bug, meaning that thunder and lighting sometimes occurs wherever there are clouds. Which over New Guinea seems to be most of the time. Nice place to fly when it's clear though, as there are loads of small runways scattered around in really awkward places, making for some challenging landings.

Hooning back up the coast and straight in at Exeter before we run out of light.  Using an Xbox wireless controller but unfortunately not getting laid!:(

Must put my Mooney back in it's box and put it away for christmas:)

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

Beautiful weather to be flying in!

Got lucky with that nice bit of blue sky for your arrival!

Xbox controller looking not so good for landings :)

How is the Mooney? Worth the money? Does everything work?

I was going to get the Mooney for XP11, but didn't, so I must admit I'm tempted here!

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

Hooning back up the coast and straight in at Exeter before we run out of light.  Using an Xbox wireless controller but unfortunately not getting laid!:(

Must put my Mooney back in it's box and put it away for christmas:)

Holy crap those graphics...but so very wasted, that should happen in Pacific in Pearl Harbour surprise attack.

Blue skies above are nice. My problem, since I'm currently flying at 9,500ft above LIberia in an XCub, is the thick cloud below me. That, and the fact that none of the real-world weather sources seem to agree what the weather should actually be like, and  MSFS live weather seems to think that 'west African rainy season' is good enough. The latest Garmin PFD mod seems to have added one of those fancy cloud cover displays as an option to the map, which I'd normally consider cheating (where the heck is it getting its data from?), but given the options (waiting a month for it to clear?) I'm using that as my sole source of useful weather information. That, and the occasional glimpse of the ground through the cloud below. which suggests that there may actually be room to fly below it.  And pick a tree to crash into if the cloud closes in again.

On the plus side, I've probably got another 6 hours of fuel, which even at 100 kt groundspeed (22 kt headwind☹️) leaves me plenty of options.  Just not the ones I wanted,  like actually seeing the world on my round-the-world trip, and sticking to nice short legs where it practical. I may end up overflying Côte d'Ivoire entirely without seeing it, and end up in Ghana. Assuming I can even land there. 😃

10 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

qh3qcjosibs51.jpg

:crazy:

I am a mix of all those. Except from getting laid. 
I have a stick 😶 obviously and a yoke. I do not dream about pancaking a huge tubeliner. However not really as good at it. I do like to take off and land wherever I can. Still like to watch the instrument. 
Fully enjoy this sim, like all cfs pilots would. Because I believe this sim is a game designed to be loved by casual flyers and cfs pilots

Just got (getting) the latest update. What a cackhanded p.o.s. procedure that is. 😡 

Open the game - wait - press any key - discover that there's an update - close the game - go to the store - download the update - close the store - open the game - wait - press any key - install the update MANUALLY - wait for the rest of your life while it unpacks everything. Grrrr.

The team here at BoX have spoilt us. Go to start Il-2 and if there's an update it downloads and installs automatically. No feeding, no fussing, no fur! 👍

7 minutes ago, 216th_Cat said:

Just got (getting) the latest update. What a cackhanded p.o.s. procedure that is. 😡 

Open the game - wait - press any key - discover that there's an update - close the game - go to the store - download the update - close the store - open the game - wait - press any key - install the update MANUALLY - wait for the rest of your life while it unpacks everything. Grrrr.

The team here at BoX have spoilt us. Go to start Il-2 and if there's an update it downloads and installs automatically. No feeding, no fussing, no fur! 👍

Mmmm, I bought mine on Steam and I don't have to close the game and go back, since Steam will have updated the launcher already. 

13 minutes ago, 216th_Cat said:

Go to start Il-2 and if there's an update it downloads and installs automatically. No feeding, no fussing, no fur! 👍

Yes, but antisipation is greater. I have uninstalled GB 

That saud I have been through the roof of frustration in a couple of instances  Almost carried out the pc and put it on 🔥 

The update procedure, in case you have MSFS2020 from MS Store, is a bit weird indeed, however...

48 minutes ago, 216th_Cat said:

...you should, once in your lifetime, be a Server Operator in BoX.

That'll make you think very different about the updates and their distribution in that game.

Not complaining (I've worked my way around the mess myself), just saying.

:drinks:

Mike

4 hours ago, wheeliemonsta said:

Beautiful weather to be flying in!

Got lucky with that nice bit of blue sky for your arrival!

Xbox controller looking not so good for landings :)

How is the Mooney? Worth the money? Does everything work?

I was going to get the Mooney for XP11, but didn't, so I must admit I'm tempted here!

Difficult to judge whether anything is worth the money as I suppose it depends on personal circumstances but as an addition to MS flight sim it’s a delight. Very pleasant to fly, looks gorgeous and has some really nice features.  I’ve never flown anything with an Xbox controller before and as you can tell there’s a certain lack of fine adjustment just when you need it most. The drone camera function is a lovely touch 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@wheeliemonsta As @DD_Arthur So well put it, The one making it do not have best reputation, for some reason I do not know of. But the Mooney has become my first choice in this class. How well it replicates the real thing , I cannot say, but it is a fast agile piston engined ac. And is fun to fly. Like a "Extra" van version for longer flights.

Fighter version of Cessna. :) 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

Upon finally being able to open FS2020 again the big blurb is for the 'Japan Update'. So I try to use it and... I don't own it. Go back to the store to see if it's worth buying and it's free!

I'm all for free stuff and very grateful too BUT IT'S ANOTHER FLAMING DOWNLOAD!!!! Why not include it in the main update? Or at at least an option when getting the big update? Have these people never watched 'Slapshot'? 

'Morons. I've got morons on my team.'

24 minutes ago, 216th_Cat said:

I'm all for free stuff and very grateful too BUT IT'S ANOTHER FLAMING DOWNLOAD!!!!

That is how this works. You have your game in two parts: one part is the one MS decides to tax you with and you have neither access to or control over (it is the part hidden in the „Apps“ folder) and the rest that you can just have and makes up for most of the install size. It resides in the folder that you are generously allowed to choose upon installation.

Having an update checks if your „Apps“ folder stuff need some attention from the side of MS. The store updates just that. It makes sure that the game recognizes and allows the to be updated game to run in a way MS deems suitable.

After you got your DRM up to speed, then you can decide to uptate your content from in game, all of which has little to do with the MS store, but is just an addition to the game content.

It is not a bug, but a feature that is also perfectly fine as we are the morons who deem such practise acceptable.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

Upon finally being able to open FS2020 again the big blurb is for the 'Japan Update'. So I try to use it and... I don't own it. Go back to the store to see if it's worth buying and it's free!

I'm all for free stuff and very grateful too BUT IT'S ANOTHER FLAMING DOWNLOAD!!!! Why not include it in the main update? Or at at least an option when getting the big update? Have these people never watched 'Slapshot'? 

'Morons. I've got morons on my team.'

One can feeel the impatience.........😬

It can be frustrating this downloading... you would think a giant like Microsoft would have it completely squared away.

But no, lets make it a total  gang f+@k because we can!

If the end result wasn't so damn good I'd have just sacked it and told Mr Microsoft to stick it up his hoop  :dash:

16 hours ago, Tycoon said:

Why would ww2 be out of the picture? 

IMO, so much of WW2 is covered by the IL-2 series that Asobo/another team doing a new Microsoft Combat Flight Sim in a theatre already covered by IL-2 may not be economically worth it and they might choose to do something that hasn’t really been done before. For example, if they do someplace that has already been done in IL-2 Great Battles as their first installment, then there may not be enough interest in the CFS community as it has already been done in IL-2 GBs. I hope that I’m wrong.

If there is a new Microsoft CFS that’s going to cover WW1/WW2, or something else, I’d be totally excited about it.

Cheers.

If Microsoft ever announces a combat flight sim, I'll buy it, period.  GB, CloD & 1946 are doing a pretty good job fulfilling my WWII air combat needs but I'd love for a studio to cover Korea, Vietnam or the Modern Era in an actually competent and complete fashion

• Like 1

If MS ever announce another combat flight simulator, I'll want to see evidence that it is a whole lot better than CFS3 before considering purchasing it. The only positive thing I can really say about that is that it led me to looking for something more realistic. Which I found in IL-2: forgotten Battles.