Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

27 minutes ago, Dutch2 said:

1C needs to focus from now on, to the major aspects, with the FS2020 guide as an good sample what people wanting to see in 2020 game.

It is nothing more than a (or: THE) tech benchmark for what is possible if you are not required to put neither combat in the sim nor have to rely on a historic environment. FS2020 wouldn‘t be what it is if it wasn‘t a fringe product of bing maps. The only really new thing FS2020 bring to the table is a global weather and atmosphere simulation. The rest is basically the same as we had for years. Just tons of bugs and not finished functionality due to being a new product.

GB works out of the box and looking great on an average system and runs at 60+ fps. If you have tons of money and 20 fps is acceptable despite not yet putting the game in your game, then it is really not a suitable comparison. You simply cannot have in a combat sim as what is possible in a fight sim featuring just you.

A general problem in (Russian) combat sims is the initial design flaw that everything takes place on a small, flat carpet, tegardless of the mountains itmight feature. It is the only true limitation that precludes the whole thing ever become a „true“ flight simulator. A choice that made life easy 15 years ago is now the only true limitation of scale and scope. I still think GB looks good compared to the competition. Looks are definitely not an issue and it does as advertised.

• Confused 2
2 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

premature release,

I disagree totally. Once game work it is great. Yes there are aspects that are problematic. I was myself About to shelve it. But as it stand for me I have no issues. 
I get it that tubeline pilots Struggle. But GA work great 

2 minutes ago, messsucher said:

2 301,64€ everything in Steam. Hmm. I would probs think very carefully what I buy 😄

I have most things. But I spend a year on each module before I get a new one. 
If I do it again I only iwn a few. Mist simply can be ignored

• Upvote 2
On 10/9/2020 at 12:22 PM, CanadaOne said:

Bought the ORBX "So Fly" weather preset software. Watched some youtube videos and it looked pretty good. And it is. Not to mention it's only $8.50Cdn.

Adds about 40 weather presets into the existing list, everything changes on the fly super easy, and it looks really nice. Definitely ups the weather eye candy game. Haven't tried all the presets, but some of the subtler ones add some nice atmosphere. For less than $10, I think it's worth it.

At the moment all my flight sim stuff is packed away so it does not lead me into temptation - I’ve got enough real world stuff going on to occupy my time atm.  However (lol) last night one of the kids dig out my wireless Xbox controller and I ended up flying around using the drone camera which is a fantastic little touch and I ended up buying the weather preset thing. It was only a fiver and installed flawlessly too. Yes, I’m lazy and it’s functions can be recreated using the in game weather options but for a quick scoot around Venice or Gibraltar or anywhere else with exceptional eye candy it’s a fantastic combo. Must have a bit more self-discipline!!😎

• Upvote 2

Luse, you are off the hook.  I got it going and it is beautiful!  :biggrin:

Seems quite happy to run smoothly on high settings, even with dense cloud.  First flight was Point Cook to Avalon.  It feels like a big leap forward for flight sims. 

640566332_Screenshot(3).thumb.jpg.cd2866adfd467758ea7dfbd00b9cf441.jpg

• Upvote 6
6 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Luse, you are off the hook

Well I had a hunch you would, I was more eager for you to try it

I am really happy for you. 
@AndyJWest 

I do not believe Microsoft can use anything in fs 2020 for a cfs. 
I do not think ms will go in and make a cfs. Not with so few interested. But I disagree on your verdict on fs 2020. The dramaqueens in forum just cannot see ahead. This sim will eventually get a working state for all. And are fully working as a training sim for several types. With all systems. If you read a bit what going on in hardware developers , they all are convinced 2020 is the future, they hit the nail. It just need fixing. I see no problem combinding x plane and fs, but in this world it must be a war. God heaven one cannot like both

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Luse, you are off the hook.  I got it going and it is beautiful!  :biggrin:

Seems quite happy to run smoothly on high settings, even with dense cloud.  First flight was Point Cook to Avalon.  It feels like a big leap forward for flight sims. 

640566332_Screenshot(3).thumb.jpg.cd2866adfd467758ea7dfbd00b9cf441.jpg

Well it really obsoleted combat sims. The same as what happened when original IL-2 was released and later what happened when CoD was released. This is a milestone.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

The dramaqueens in forum just cannot see ahead.

Like MS being able to give you the sim for free but charge you for every flight minute, as can your favorite airport can charge you for virtual landings and touch&go‘s?

Talk about upping realism.

• Confused 1
5 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

The only really new thing FS2020 bring to the table is a global weather and atmosphere simulation.

That's a little harsh, perhaps. What it brought to the table was pretty much the whole world in some level of HD quality scenery and geographic fidelity, along with some of the nicest atmospheric eye candy ever, and planes that are astoundingly good looking. Those cockpits are second to none. And it has, and doubtlessly will see, some quality fixes and updates.

For $80!

That's no small thing.

• Upvote 6

True  and detailed scenery make flight experience much immersive and realistic if FM is good ofcourse. When I look at Arras no man's land I see no real progress since 2009 unfortunately. MS make leap forward not just progress in that important aspect. This is obviousl technology limitation in GB ,  in the end I enjoy both games. They both deserve appreciation .

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

That's no small thing.

All the above and it delivers it at 60fps at 1080.

No more need to spend a couple of months worth of simming time reading and then fiddling with settings to get a paltry and stuttery 30fps as per Xplane and previous editions of MSFS.

I like it....lots!:biggrin:

• Upvote 5
13 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

That's a little harsh, perhaps. What it brought to the table was pretty much the whole world in some level of HD quality scenery and geographic fidelity, along with some of the nicest atmospheric eye candy ever, and planes that are astoundingly good looking. Those cockpits are second to none. And it has, and doubtlessly will see, some quality fixes and updates.

For $80!

That's no small thing.

I‘m not disputing that. I enjoy FS2020 a lot for all the reasons you mentioned and it is obvious that by sheer looks, it truly set a whole new standard.

But in terms of sheer functionality it is less and you would see that if bing maps was not available for this sim, making for all the eye candy.

I truly like is the effort in modeling an atmosphere. It is where it can set itself apart in a technological sense. This is no small thing and I consider it the bolder move than getting bing maps as your scenery.

When I said it is a „tech demo“ then I meant this being a beginning, we are yet to see what really can be achieved. Asobo pledged to support this for a decade (whatever that means in this world), thus I expect a lot more. The planes look great, but a lot of stuff doesn‘t work. So far, the looks make up for that.

29 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

But in terms of sheer functionality it is less and you would see that if bing maps was not available for this sim, making for all the eye candy.

I truly like is the effort in modeling an atmosphere. It is where it can set itself apart in a technological sense. This is no small thing and I consider it the bolder move than getting bing maps as your scenery.

Either I'm misreading you, or you don't think much of Bing. ;)

13 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Either I'm misreading you, or you don't think much of Bing. ;)

Indeed I have lukewarm enthusiasm for bing as such. Starting with WorldWind (What a WOW!! that was... and that became what bing wants to be, Google Earth) we have seen 3D depictions of the whole globe in progressively increasing LODs, meaning as such, this is nothing new at all. For an online based system, elevation data accurate enough that makes mountain roads fit the right mountain, that I wouldn‘t have considered a luxury either.

So, yeah, getting plausible, dynamic weather is probably more daunting of a task.

Still, the looks are there. That for sure.

REX Weather Force which was a buggy mess got a technical update. I had issues, so I'm hoping that they will get fixed. I'm not a weather expert, but when it was working it was a nice addition. Unfortunately when I got it the first day it was out more often that not it wouldn't work.

Here are some details:

Changelog:

FIXED – Pressure, wind, and temperature measurements related to aircraft position in atmosphere.

FIXED – Improved grids for selecting airport data during weather injection.

FIXED – Registration process with missing profile data.

FIXED – Bug of missing data with function during static weather read.

FIXED – Checkerboard cloud patterns and transitions between cloud layers.

FIXED – User profile not loading during second load after initial registration.

FIXED – Temperature and dew point being same value on main weather interface.

FIXED – Ability to add a favorite airport.

FIXED – Selectable area of Favorite Airport banners.

FIXED – Upper-level winds and temperatures not changing when clicking a favorite airport.

FIXED – Cloud coverage.

FIXED – Pressure value being cut off from main interface.

FIXED – Optimized code to search for favorite airport on server end.

FIXED – Optimized code in pulling data for weather injection.

FIXED – Improper handling of Last Update date and time on main window.

FIXED – Issue with lightning continuing to show even when storms were not reported in the metar.

FIXED – Aircraft and weather point location accuracy points.

FIXED – Live Weather airport weather display accuracy.

ADDED – Decoupled winds and temperatures from many injections.

ADDED – Code to prevent from switching Live to DCWS weather during open Weather Synthesis.

ADDED – Sections on application to help inform the user which weather mode they are in.

ADDED – Delete All Airports button to allow user to clear all favorite airports on client and server.

ADDED – Response “No records found” when searching for an airport or weather condition(s).

IMPROVED – Frame rates during transitions.

IMPROVED – Weather search window data elements.

IMPROVED – Rendering of storm and general cloud structures.

I would have been happier if they used googlemap in stead. 
In my use of ms2020 I have no problems except when I pause the game sometimes. Then it seems that I start at 0 speed and go into a serious stall. Except from that I have no problem at all. It run smoother than GB. 
In my mind this can be a new era. It set a standard. 

12 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

In my use of ms2020 I have no problems except when I pause the game sometimes

I do remember you installing it. More than once. ;)

But also on my side, beside a quirky way to install it from the store, it runs smooth and I haven‘t had a single CTD. But this goes for IL2 as well, over all these years. (Not counting OC tries...). As for ease of installing and getting looks, IL2 still is the benchmark for me. But Asobo delivered there as well. At least on my end. 

I don‘t think that all the missing functionality will be added to the stock planes anytime soon. Looking at Asobos prorities... But with A2A‘s Aerostar (when released), who will look at stock planes?

REX just released an update for the WeatherForce. Let‘s see how that goes. Once live weather matches METAR, that will be another big step forward...

13 minutes ago, dbzero said:

REX Weather Force

Just got me there...

Edited by ZachariasX

I caved, because I am weak, and bought the ORBX Sydney scenery. I don't have any particular interest in Sydney - though Australians as a whole are a perfectly acceptable addition to the human race - but I wanted to see just how fancy FS20 eye candy could be and how well I could run it. Long story short, the ORBX Sydney scenery looks mighty sweet, and along with the "So Fly" weather presets, also by ORBX, the whole thing is a solid five-star eye candy ensemble. 

And with settings up pretty high, it ran at a solid 40+ at 1080P. No complaints.

I'm $35 into the add-ons. Where will it end? :o:

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I'm $35 into the add-ons. Where will it end? :o:

The Mooney.  It looks very tempting and it was a fave in 'old' MSFS.  I see from Luse's SAS link that storebror has it.  I wonder what it's like compared to the stock planes?

I wonder if it might become a christmas prezzy from one of the kids?:biggrin:

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

The Mooney.  It looks very tempting and it was a fave in 'old' MSFS.  I see from Luse's SAS link that storebror has it.  I wonder what it's like compared to the stock planes?

I wonder if it might become a christmas prezzy from one of the kids?:biggrin:

I have it. No glass pit is first + but gps and autopilot. Fast and agile. I really like it. 
I was to fly it today but got a ctd and believed the software remembered it on next try. It is a little tricky to trim but love it. 

2 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

*I find standard scenery sufficient 

I find the standard everything looks pretty good, and some of it is amazing. But I wanted to see some "next level" third-party stuff and the ORBC Sydney scenery is pretty much it. As I said, it was as much a tech test as anything else. Is it worth $20, who knows? Maybe not. But it's a good example of where things can go for the moment.

One bit of scenery I would like to see, and would be happy to pay for, is a hardcore Area 51. Super-ultra-extra-cheese HD. And then some serious jet action. :cool:

Holy sheet. You can distribute cargo in your aircraft and it will calculate the performance hit and change in handling.  I really wanted that for the BoX Ju-52.  There’s even a slider to set your body weight.  The default was a bit portly so I had to knock it back a bit.  

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Holy sheet. You can distribute cargo in your aircraft and it will calculate the performance hit and change in handling.  I really wanted that for the BoX Ju-52.  There’s even a slider to set your body weight.  The default was a bit portly so I had to knock it back a bit.  

Yup. Quite useful if you want to see what the flight model is actually capable of, where the developers seem to have erred on the side of stability a little too far. The Pitts in particular benefits from moving the CG back a fair bit, or at least, handles a bit more like I'd expect one to. Unfortunately, the only way you can achieve it is by upping the pilot weight to 300 lb or so. Really needs an option to stick a couple of pounds of lead in the tail.

Edited by AndyJWest
4 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

The Mooney.  It looks very tempting and it was a fave in 'old' MSFS.

Worth the price I think. I passed on their 182 as too similar to the 172 but the Mooney is great. Modelling is very nice. Flight model seems good. Nice mix as you know of steam gauges, digital readouts and Garmin AP. There's a mod which improves the default GNS 530 a bit too. 

10 hours ago, messsucher said:

2 301,64€ everything in Steam. Hmm. I would probs think very carefully what I buy 😄

It would be interesting to know the median per-aircraft time spent on large collections of DCS aircraft.  There are probably quite a few zeroes and ones in the hourly numbers.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

I could go into detail here over why the MSFS codebase (and broader environment) is utterly unsuited to an air combat sim, but frankly I can't see the point, since there seems to be no more reason to suppose that Microsoft might want to get involved with one than any of the major videogame companies who have previously had plenty of opportunity, and not taken it. Wanting something to happen isn't a reason to assume it will.

I don't understand this logic, Asobo didn't just send a message out saying they are interested in making a flightsim and microsoft responded, microsoft went to them gave them money and said make this, msfs has been a success there is no reason they woudn't do it again for cfs.

14 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

A general problem in (Russian) combat sims is the initial design flaw that everything takes place on a small, flat carpet, tegardless of the mountains itmight feature. It is the only true limitation that precludes the whole thing ever become a „true“ flight simulator. A choice that made life easy 15 years ago is now the only true limitation of scale and scope. I still think GB looks good compared to the competition.

Could you explain what you mean here? I literally didn't get a word of this.

14 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

It is nothing more than a (or: THE) tech benchmark for what is possible if you are not required to put neither combat in the sim nor have to rely on a historic environment. FS2020 wouldn‘t be what it is if it wasn‘t a fringe product of bing maps. 

Seriously? A fringe product of bing maps? Bing maps has been dead for well over a decade.

There must be a development team out there somewhere with a history of making combat flightsims who would happily accept those sweet sweet  Micro$oft funded dollars and do a Pacific CFS4. 

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2
18 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

do remember you installing it. More than once. ;)

I have mentioned that instance further up. I was about to shelve it. Until it was fixed.
But that was aditional stuff. This sim run smooth. I am really amazed that it does. 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
38 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I have mentioned that instance further up. I was about to shelve it. 
But that was aditional stuff. This sim run smooth. I am really amazed that it does. 

And just as a balancing view, I had absolutely no issues installing at all. It has its faults but as most here are saying GA is good and the flying environment is fantastic. And let's not forget, this was v1. There has already been a patch and new areas of detailed world released. I'm hoping it follows a similar path to FSX so that very talented developers such as A2A can maximise the potential. We can knock it for release issues but it will only get better from now on.

Edited by Hoots
Fixed apostrophe abuse.
  • Upvote 5
21 minutes ago, Hoots said:

I had absolutely no issues installing at all. It has its faults but as most here are saying GA is good and the flying environment is fantastic

Exactly the same here. Quick to install. GA are great to fly around in. World looks amazing for the most part. Airliners aren't all that great for those who want study level but that was always to be expected. Asobo/MS want all the 3rd party developers to get onboard and they're not going to eat those guys lunches right off the bat by developing their own study level airliners. The game runs very smoothly for me with most settings on ultra and the only CTD I've experienced was due to some mod I'd installed. There's definitely plenty of things that can be improved and hopefully will be but it's a fun product right now

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Tektolnes said:

There's definitely plenty of things that can be improved and hopefully will be but it's a fun product right now

It would be very strange if this sim would not be patched up to max performance. 
Study level airliners will be third party as long as devs manage to put their act together. 
I even can not start up a chopper in x p 11 anymore. They simply won’t do great as they are, I expect Donald Duck walking by in that environment. 
To be honest, I can see myself using this as is twenty years ahead. I will use this together with other cfs / sims anyway. No sim can entertain me alone anyway’s 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
4 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

The Mooney is a real gem. It fly like s fighter compared to Cessna. Good view and faster. It has become my first choice on this world tour. I take slower planes for shorter scenic routes

Okay,  the marketplace does not want to take my money - again:(.  I can download stuff from Orbyx directly and it works fine but the games market place? 

Nada........