Jump to content
Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

Recommended Posts

They really should pin a sticker on this Dev videos: +18 Flight simulator porno inside. For adults only.

 

This sim will be a insta buy for me. Along with some new hardware. I highly doubt that my brave and mighty Fx 8350 can handle this grapics and flight physics inferno.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 9:36 AM, Semor76 said:

They really should pin a sticker on this Dev videos: +18 Flight simulator porno inside. For adults only.

 

This sim will be a insta buy for me. Along with some new hardware. I highly doubt that my brave and mighty Fx 8350 can handle this grapics and flight physics inferno.

I'm surprised that chip can handle il2... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of the early days, waiting for the release of FSX  

 

 

 

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2019 at 1:12 PM, JonRedcorn said:

I'm surprised that chip can handle il2... 

You´re surprised? Why 😁?

 

Dont underestimate the raw power of the AMD Piledriver architecture. These chips where quite good for it´s time and it can still handle all my games and most of the actual gaming titles at high and sometimes very high settings.

It´s all about getting the heat out of the casing. For this reason I´ve set up my system with 6 air coolers to keep the temperature inside the case and above the southbrigde as low as possible.

But let´s be honest, the FX generation will reach the end of its lifespann in the next 1-2 years, ever for budged systems like mine. The next CPU will be a ryzen generation ones. Not sure which ones, but I will definitely stay with AMD. There´s no need for me to support Intel´s expensive price politics.

 

..and yes, IL-2 runs fine:

 

rIPfcC3.png

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Reminds me of the early days, waiting for the release of FSX  

 

 

 

 

2020..still relevant!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The flight sim porn goes into the next round:

 

 

Edited by Semor76
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Semor76 said:

The flight sim porn goes into the next round:

 

 

Ah splendid, I always wanted to get over Alexis Texas. I mean Texas.

 

But seriously, from what I've understand about the rendering of the map, I suppose there is no season selection.

That instead of a summer season the landscape is snow covered with barren trees and frozen rivers after selecting time of year in the GUI.

 

Pitty though it is a civil flight sim instead of a ((WWII) combat flight sim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Uufflakke said:

That instead of a summer season the landscape is snow covered with barren trees and frozen rivers after selecting time of year in the GUI.

It would depend on that AI to autocolur the scenery depending on weather...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My kid (he is 27) was at the first public demo event to a hands  on trial of the new Microsoft Simulator in London. He was absolutely shocked by the quality of the game. Some graphical glitches did happen but just noticeable. But he also said that the machines were absolutely the most powerful available and the pedals as well as the control weel where perfect and smooth, so controls and reaction was perfect. There was also a very high bandwidth connection to the 2 Petabyte database Azure cloud of Microsoft. Everything was set for the best possible result. But when flying low some graphical glitches happened here and there. When too many trees were to be rendered some times things got either fuzzy or the terrain started to do some staircase effect but again on a very small patch. At medium altitude it was like flying on a live photographic image,  He could not test a VR solution. Atmospheric effects,  and night flying, lighting is all just perfect. He used to fly with me when he was younger and so when he says that sometimes he felt as it was the real thing he knows what it means. 

He could also discuss with the devs, and the team leader that was present. He got the info that when the game will be released  many more planes than what has been shown up to now will be available.

In conclusion he was blown off by the demo, but wonders what will happen when people will play it on an average machine with average graphic performance and low bandwidth or just offline. Here things are not very clear. So wait and see.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great...except for several glaring things...

 

...subscription based and bandwidth dependent. The other being the fact you can run this on a gaming console which leads me to believe we’ll be looking at arcade flight dynamics. 
 

Hype like this has been seen before on civilian sims. Still waiting for a aftermarket third party weather generator such as REX for XPlane11 after all this time.

 

I’m just saying I’m not getting my hopes up at all on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

The other being the fact you can run this on a gaming console which leads me to believe we’ll be looking at arcade flight dynamics. 

 

I mean, I can see not getting overly hyped or whatever (although I am), but I kinda doubt that, just because this will be able to run on a console it will mean it will have arcade-level flight dynamics. It's called flight simulator and people have, and will, expect as much. If anything, I'd bet they downgrade things on the graphic rendering side for consoles if they have to, not anything with physics.

 

You can see the improvements they've made re: physics in that aerodynamics video posted above and it's definitely not arcade.

 

Edited by blah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 2:36 PM, Uufflakke said:

That instead of a summer season the landscape is snow covered with barren trees and frozen rivers after selecting time of year in the GUI.

 

 

On 11/22/2019 at 3:04 PM, ZachariasX said:

It would depend on that AI to autocolur the scenery depending on weather...

 

There is more involved than only colouring the scenery. Let's say from green to white.

Also rooftops need to be snow covered, cleaned roads, barren trees, snow on pine trees, frozen rivers, ice floes etc.

And in desert areas will there be a sand storm when weather changes? Or a blizzard in - for instance-  Siberia.

 

Questions, questions, questions but time will tell. ;)

 

It all looks very promising and perhaps revolutionary but unfortunately there is nothing to bomb,to strafe or to hunt after.

Only a crash landing might damage something...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

 

It all looks very promising and perhaps revolutionary but unfortunately there is nothing to bomb,to strafe or to hunt after.

Only a crash landing might damage something...

And that is the real big problem we have with MFS 2020.

But we have IL2 and that saves our day.

Now if they decide to also go for the revival of the MCS Microsoft Combat Simulator then IL2 may start to have some serious competition.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

S!

 

 CFS series revived would be nice, at least with those clouds and weather systems. Terrain could be an issue, things looked a bit different in 1940´s, unless going modern planes.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

 

 CFS series revived would be nice, at least with those clouds and weather systems. Terrain could be an issue, things looked a bit different in 1940´s, unless going modern planes.

 

Yeah that would be way cool - competition is always good.

;)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

 

 CFS series revived would be nice, at least with those clouds and weather systems. Terrain could be an issue, things looked a bit different in 1940´s, unless going modern planes.

 

Or they could do the Pacific  ;)

 

14 minutes ago, dburne said:

 

Yeah that would be way cool - competition is always good.

 

Definitely!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, blah said:

 

 

I mean, I can see not getting overly hyped or whatever (although I am), but I kinda doubt that, just because this will be able to run on a console it will mean it will have arcade-level flight dynamics. It's called flight simulator and people have, and will, expect as much. If anything, I'd bet they downgrade things on the graphic rendering side for consoles if they have to, not anything with physics.

 

You can see the improvements they've made re: physics in that aerodynamics video posted above and it's definitely not arcade.

 


 

I hope your right!
 

Just with the limitations of console hardware plus the fact the console gamers are living with hardware now that’s what -  going 7 years old now - I wish they would have stuck to the PC side like last titles but of course they want to market to the biggest audience possible.
 

I seriously doubt the flight physics will be anything close to XPlane. Ideally yeah, combine the graphics and streaming technology of MSFS 2020 with the flight algorithms of XPlane and it would be nirvana but after flying decades of sims this has yet to happen. 
 

I’m actually kinda surprised in a way that Microsoft even went back to putting resources into such a niche product after they chopped their dev team with MSFS and the team working on MSTS. I figured they had permanently washed their hands of the whole affair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

I hope your right!
 

Just with the limitations of console hardware plus the fact the console gamers are living with hardware now that’s what -  going 7 years old now - I wish they would have stuck to the PC side like last titles but of course they want to market to the biggest audience possible.

I seriously doubt the flight physics will be anything close to XPlane. Ideally yeah, combine the graphics and streaming technology of MSFS 2020 with the flight algorithms of XPlane and it would be nirvana but after flying decades of sims this has yet to happen. 

 

Yeah, I hope I'm right too! The videos that have come out so far make it look like something that's pushing the boundaries of current flight sims and I'd love if that were true. They don't have the added tech surrounding combat so they can focus purely on flight, but still, it seems amazing so far.

I agree with you though that if the tech of the game is lessened in any way due to console then that sucks! But just like we can adjust settings in IL2 for different powered machines, I'd imagine they could do the same behind the scenes for FS 2020 on consoles. Let's hope!
 

3 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

I’m actually kinda surprised in a way that Microsoft even went back to putting resources into such a niche product after they chopped their dev team with MSFS and the team working on MSTS. I figured they had permanently washed their hands of the whole affair.

 

Yeah, I was surprised too and also thought they were done, although you know more about the history of the teams and I've been away from flight sims for a long time before coming back to IL2 and a bit of XPlane a couple years ago.

Anyway, I hope FS 2020 is an awesome product. I think any good addition to the flight sim genre is a good thing and will make for some (hopefully) good competition along with some possible new cooperation/collaborations too. I want the genre, especially the combat flight sim variety, to stay alive and to be as full as it was in the 90s and early 00s.

[EDIT] Didn't see the post a few messages above about competition, but yea, I think most people will agree that some competition and additions to the genre are good.

Edited by blah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What MS has said regarding VR support. I find it hard to imagine a game with graphics at this level running well or at all in VR and indeed it was not planned initially. But they said they will try... 

https://venturebeat.com/2019/10/13/microsoft-flight-simulator-vr-support-we-will-try-our-darnedest-to-make-it-happen/

 

This is of course going to run on Xbox (the next generation one, not the One X) and that console abandoned plans to incorporate VR

So has project “Scarlett”

https://uploadvr.com/xbox-scarlett-vr-support-unlikely/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know which DX version the new Microsoft FS will be running in? Will it be 11 or 12? I've dug around a bit but can't find an answer. Curious if it will have implications for our current game going forward and if it is worth it to build a new engine around it. All of the current Great Battles models are spectacular and should be able to be ported over if the DEV's chose to do so.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read a bit of a negative thread at a FSX add-on site about the relevance of FSX add-ons now that there is a new sim in the works. The question as to whether it makes sense to buy anything for FSX/Prepar3d from now on was asked.

 

Not a great discussion to hear if you run an FSX add-on company. But it is a valid question. have to admit my thoughts of getting Prepar3d and a few add-ons has quickly devolved to "Yeah, as long as its 75% off."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Read a bit of a negative thread at a FSX add-on site about the relevance of FSX add-ons now that there is a new sim in the works. The question as to whether it makes sense to buy anything for FSX/Prepar3d from now on was asked.

 

Not a great discussion to hear if you run an FSX add-on company. But it is a valid question. have to admit my thoughts of getting Prepar3d and a few add-ons has quickly devolved to "Yeah, as long as its 75% off."

 

Yup, the MSFS 2020 announcements have probably hit existing flight sim developers hard. Over on the X-Plane forum, the thread on Microsoft's new sim has degenerated into a trainwreck, with anyone taking the only sensible attitude (i.e. don't believe all the hype, but don't discount it as a serious sim either, and wait for further evidence before making your mind up) being drowned out by people looking for any excuse to add all sorts of nonsense (for or against, mostly the latter) based on nothing concrete at all. Even the developers seem unsure how to react, since a video they released where they commented on it got pulled soon afterwards. 

 

As for whether I'd recommend spending money on FSX/Prepar3d/X-Plane addons,  I'd say it depends on how much use you expect to get out of them in the short term.  I bought X-Plane 11 a few months back, and I certainly won't regret it, even if I move on to Microsoft's sim as soon as it comes out. I'm going to be spending serious money on a new PC soon, and the cost of software is minor in comparison. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

 

Yup, the MSFS 2020 announcements have probably hit existing flight sim developers hard. Over on the X-Plane forum, the thread on Microsoft's new sim has degenerated into a trainwreck, with anyone taking the only sensible attitude (i.e. don't believe all the hype, but don't discount it as a serious sim either, and wait for further evidence before making your mind up) being drowned out by people looking for any excuse to add all sorts of nonsense (for or against, mostly the latter) based on nothing concrete at all. Even the developers seem unsure how to react, since a video they released where they commented on it got pulled soon afterwards. 

 

As for whether I'd recommend spending money on FSX/Prepar3d/X-Plane addons,  I'd say it depends on how much use you expect to get out of them in the short term.  I bought X-Plane 11 a few months back, and I certainly won't regret it, even if I move on to Microsoft's sim as soon as it comes out. I'm going to be spending serious money on a new PC soon, and the cost of software is minor in comparison. 

 

I would have liked to have seen that video. But I can understand how crappy it might be for a flightsim or add-on company to wake up and find out they might be the horse drawn carriage facing down the new fangled automobile thingy. What do they do, have a fire sale or just hope to get as many full price sales as possible. Part of the problem, as you noticed, is the self-fulfilling prophecy of negative discussions. If the discussion is that Add-on Company X wants $50 or $100 for scenery that might be obsolete in a few months, that $50 or $100 is going to find increased difficulty making it into their hands.

 

Part of the problem with obsolescence - and I apologize for that possible obvious exaggeration - is that he who is about to be obsolete sometimes gets very upset and defensive. And there's another monkey wrench thrown into it. There can be increased animosity between customer and client.

 

It can be tough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep something in mind about FS 2020. They have 200 employees (at least that's what I read, I think) working on this. We have 25. If that's true, I'd like to know what their break-even point is.

 

Jason

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't have combat in this because it's streaming real scenery. So, obviously, there is no way that scenery can be destructable. I have no problem with that. I have IL-2 and DCS for that. You don't need scenery like that if you're flying combat, anyway. If you go ogling the pretty trees and mountains while flying a combat mission you're going to get your bumb ass shot down. I think IL-2 does scenery just fine. I especially like that Kuban map. 

But, yeah, I'll be picking this up. I ran my FSX for 10 years and only finally hung it up, for X-Planes 11, two years ago. I don't always want to bomb and shoot things. Sometimes I do want to just ogle the scenery. And I don't want to worry about an FW-190 jumping me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Keep something in mind about FS 2020. They have 200 employees (at least that's what I read, I think) working on this. We have 25. If that's true, I'd like to know what their break-even point is.

 

Jason

 

I'm not sure they even have a break-even point, in the sense of Microsoft getting back into the entertainment flight sim business solely to make a profit. I suspect it is part of a broader strategy, though what the objective is isn't at all clear. To get into the 'proper' simulation business? To improve their image as the Illuminati of the software world?  A pet project of someone at the top? Whatever the motivation is, I can't see MSFS 2020 being more than a blip on their balance sheet, and whether it succeeds or fails may have more to do with boardroom politics than with accountants scrutiny.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have for sure a broader strategy than "only" FS2020 with that new tech. 

 

Microsoft has now built a fundamental technology to simulate the whole globe with weather, phyisics and 3d objects. I think FS2020 has only to bring back a fraction of that spent money. It would be insane if they'd only made all this fancy stuff solely for a freaking Flight Sim. I can imagine it would be more of a prove of concept with all of their FS stuff they already had slapped on. 

Now they will gain experience with handling the azure cloud in combination with PCs and Xboxes with a first real end-user product, but more will come for sure.

 

I can see the same sim for cars, architecture, 3d maps for cities, maybe even fps, etc. etc.

So I guess we simers were just lucky that MS had already done a flight sim before... :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Acording to a recent interview with the Asobo CEO, there are 120 people from Asobo working on FS2020, 20 people from Microsoft, and some more Third party, and the third party numbers are expected to grow a lot.

Edited by =SFF=_cercataa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Keep something in mind about FS 2020. They have 200 employees (at least that's what I read, I think) working on this. We have 25. If that's true, I'd like to know what their break-even point is.

 

Jason

 

I thought I read somewhere it was going to be subscription based if you wanted to use the Azure Cloud tech to stream the terrain. Around 2 petabytes of data for that global content. 
If that's true, I dare say that I'll be subscribing for a good few months at least.

If the majority are prepared to do the same to experience it in all its glory then they will have a continuing source of revenue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2019 at 9:55 PM, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Anyone know which DX version the new Microsoft FS will be running in? Will it be 11 or 12? I've dug around a bit but can't find an answer. Curious if it will have implications for our current game going forward and if it is worth it to build a new engine around it. All of the current Great Battles models are spectacular and should be able to be ported over if the DEV's chose to do so.

 


I heard it’s gonna have jets man, you’re gonna hate it 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

S!

 

MSFS 2020 is a blip as AJW said. Heck, Bill Gates could pay the development from his own pockets and it would not even budge his finances. It is good that MS is making FS2020. It stirs up the competition and sets the bar in many areas higher than it is now. And also paving the way of future implementations in various aspects of gaming etc. Even I do not like "civvie simulators" FS2020 might be the first one I will test, just for the weather and cloud system. And that terrain rendering looked gorgeous. And if MS would revive CFS series...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I like most about FS2020 is that it ends the antique autogen system still carried on by P3D. It is rather obvious that this (and some other) tech really has seen its best days. In many ways it was a blessing that MS messed up and ditched flight sims althogether. It allowed for a stable base and an amazing ecosystem to grow on FSX. But now, we're clearly reaching a limit of what that tech can do. LockheedMartin clearly wasn't under much pressure to make great strides and it took them a long time to go 64 bits. But now, things change. It's nice to see some cometition. XPlane I do't really see as cmpetition for P3D as the markets are too different. But if MS sets the bar *that* high, it surely puts pressure on LM.

 

It's a great time for flight sims.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...