Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

44 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I haven't had stuttering , you might have better resolution than me. 
I afk for a week or two, fb is full of “this patch ruined the game”

I take it there is different opinions on that. 
Is the Baron fixed? Is it smoother??

I just run it at 1080p since I built my PC for that, knowing that everyone would be switching to 4K it meant I saved a lot of money on hardware that performs well but nobody wants anymore. Originally I had a lot of issues with stuttering and crashing but things have been pretty good since I changed some settings to balance out the CPU/GPU load and the patch has definitely improved performance in big cities for me.

Never had any issues with the Baron apart from the missing ALT knob, the mixture not doing anything and the very optimistic flight model for it (it climbs like a rocket, must be the Bob Hoover model). The cowl flaps also seem to be purely decorative but you can at least move the handles and pretend you're doing something useful with them. I did spend a bit of time getting my sensitivity curves about right however it feels reasonable to me. I didn't play around with it much today, just a quick run to see how performance was in a built up areas. The patch was only just released today so far as I know so who knows what the fb people are bitching about. A happy customer is a quiet customer.

Edited by Ace_Pilto
  • Thanks 1

@ZachariasX Yeah, I'm in it right now, about 80 nm  ESE of Sicily. trying to find the middle. Which from what I can figure out, I should be able to do be keeping the wind at 90 degrees to my left. Zero visibility at 9,000 ft, and I'm reluctant to go higher (ice, ice, baby...)

Edit: Fouund the hole, but it was closed off at the top, so a bit gloomy. There's no cloud at my height to the E, so I'm heading for Crete. Safer than going back to Sicily, and colliding with  Mt Etna in the rain...

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Like 1

I must say much of my good vibes on this sim is due to Honeycomb yoke. 
it is perfect for this sim. 
I get my honeycomb bravo throttle in October. Seeing it has garmin knots and buttons. I was going to switch over to Yoko yoke once currency got better. But I stick with this. I found my 1080 TI to be sufficient so I wont upgrade gpu either

On 9/15/2020 at 12:44 AM, Feathered_IV said:

You guys are making it very hard for me!  I'm seriously tempted but my ancient Intel i5-2500K cpu might combust halfway through the installation.  My graphics card and ram is fine, but perhaps I should save my pennies and wait?

I'm running a pre-historic i7-960. According to CPU Benchmark your CPU is about 9% faster. The rest of my set up is a GTX1060  6GB and 16GB RAM, and a non Windows 10 supporting mobo. I run FS just fine and on High settings at around 22-25FPS in single player, which is fine. It looks great and I'm lov'n itYou can get it for $1 on Xbox Gamepass for PC for a first month trial. I've just bought the Standard edition on Steam now that that month is up and I'm happy that my rig runs in well enough.

BTW my GPU is often running at only 50% while the GPU is  maxed out. 

I can post some pics if you want some visual representation. 

Edited by FlyingNutcase
typo
  • Upvote 1

Latest patch has improved the slight stutters I had, smooth as anything now. 

• Upvote 2

Seems like people with steam install and mods in the community folder are having problems. Also it seems this patch bring in key assignments making your own assignments duplicate

The Community folder can easily become a problem anyway.

I've had 55 Gigs in there lately and had to dump it completely as the game took about an hour to start.

:drinks:

Mike

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, SAS_Storebror said:

I've had 55 Gigs in there lately and had to dump it completely as the game took about an hour to start.

Mike

Oh dear, I noticed a increased loading time. But I gonna keep some. Like Bergen

If everything goes well, you usually have the increased loading times only the first time when the game "sees" a change in the Community folder.

However when things go sour, the game will keep parsing the folder over and over, and update it's internal file database over and over too.

So if you encounter a significant increase in startup times, just exit to desktop and check the second attempt.

If that's still slow, then you're doomed.

Mike

6 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Mike

Is that 55GB all add-ons?

7 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Is that 55GB all add-ons?

Indeed, from all kind of sources.

Partly self-ported FSX things involved and that's where I've probably messed it up to a point where FS20 refused to load in proper time anymore.

No biggies, just dumped the Community folder and started with a fresh one.

Mike

• Upvote 1

I need more old school flying... I'm not into jets of any size or shape, I hate the 'glass cockpit' scene entirely.

I wait in anticipation for old and bold aviation to get more representation.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I need more old school flying... I'm not into jets of any size or shape, I hate the 'glass cockpit' scene entirely.

I wait in anticipation for old and bold aviation to get more representation.

I agree. I fly mostly the cessna 152 for this reason. I would however love a twin otter and such. A catalina too.  A little bit fire bombing

2 hours ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

Is it by any chance possible to dim the Garmin screens? They are bright as hell in night conditions. 

+1

I was looking around for that but haven't found anything.

6 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I agree. I fly mostly the cessna 152 for this reason. I would however love a twin otter and such. A catalina too.  A little bit fire bombing

I think Aerosoft is making a Twin Otter, but it might take a while.

2 hours ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

Is it by any chance possible to dim the Garmin screens? They are bright as hell in night conditions. 

With the street lights al flt level 20, there is little point in night flying anway unless you want to simulate substance use.

3 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

think Aerosoft is making a Twin Otter, but it might take a while.

Can't wait until A2A throws their hat into the ring. By far the best flightsim experience I ever had and it even surpasses DCS imho. 

2 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

With the street lights al flt level 20, there is little point in night flying anway unless you want to simulate substance use.

Well yes, that's quite annoying. But I'm sure it will be fixed sooner than later. 

• Upvote 2

Turns out the hangar bug is also on other objects, like the Eifel Tower..  now, knowing that,  one can actually fly a 747 through the Eifeltower.

Edited by Monostripezebra
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

Can't wait until A2A throws their hat into the ring. By far the best flightsim experience I ever had and it even surpasses DCS imho. 

Yep, they're pretty good. I had some of their stuff for FSX. I'd buy the P-51 for sure.

I hope CaptainSim steps up. I would love to see them make the C-130 for FS20. And I would gladly pay a premium price if they remade their F-104. I had a ton of fun in both those planes.

Today's lesson for aspiring TBM pilots: if you are going to fiddle with the fuel tank selector, make sure you know where the engine starter switch is first. 😳

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-19-04-33-54-2

I managed to shut the fuel off, and was running out of altitude and options fast. Pure luck had made me select Taiwan for my first flight, and I had plenty of flat land to dead stick onto - though I suspect they may be paddy fields in real life. I located the starter (I'd not used it before since I'd taken the easy option, and began the flight engine-on, from the runway), taxied back a bit to give myself plenty of room, and took off again, with no obvious damage.

Hopefully, by the time I get to Manila (I'm testing the TBM's flight envelope  😉) I'll have figured out how to land it properly, without doing any more damage.

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Was going for a 1 week worktrip, Normally I just take my iPhone with me and use it. It is a midrange phone since I tend to throw them in a wall at least one time in their lifespan, and loose it from a couple of meters. 

This time job got extended to last abot 6 weeks, luckily I took my iPad mini with me so I figured I could see netflix on it. Appaerently that streaming service take some resources. 

So I bought a small Acer laptop on the company, telling myself that getting invoices out on a weekly bases is a good motif.

Point is, this is the first time since forever I logged into this site with a pc, and see now the screenies from this site is just awesome. 

Pleace post them and videos, god knows when I am home again

• Upvote 1

Coming into Unalaska, in the Aleutians, Definitely not a good place to screw up a landing.

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-20-03-05-49-0

The live weather (now it's working properly) adds a whole lot to the MSFS experience. I'd taken off from Nikolskoye, a dirt strip at the Russian end of the Aleutians, with the intention of seeing what a storm system looked like from above. Not particularly spectacular, as it turned out, as swirly things at this latitude don't usually develop the sort of hole-in-the-middle look that you get in the tropics. Something to do with corolis forces, I think.

While I was up there (took the TBM to 31,000 ft, its nominal ceiling) I saw that Windy.com was reporting a jet stream a little to the south, so I decided to hitch a ride along the island chain. I had an 85 kt tailwind at one point. I could have gone further, but landing while I had plenty of fuel and options seemed sensible. As it was, there was more low cloud than the METAR was reporting, and my 'VFR' approach into Unalaska was more reliant on blind faith and instruments than it should have been.

The next thing I need to do with the TBM is sort out the thrust reverser control. The Unalaska runway is over 4,000 ft, so stopping shouldn't really be a problem, but when you've got water and then a big lump of rock facing you, it helps to know you can stop in a hurry.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Indeed, latest patch has significantly improved performance on my rig, although not to the level IL-2 provides, but they're completely different beasts...

Weather is now also more coherent, both aloft and near aerodromes with METAR reports.

I still need to consider a PC upgrade, maybe later this year or arount 2021 to be able to profit from the amazing graphics MFS can provide.

Yet, my main concern are flight and systems modeling. The SDK docs are rather sparse in details, but ASOBO is actively working on it, helicopters will arrive sometime along 2021, and I am sure that the arrival of major 3pd players will bring additional features.

All in all, a very good source of fresh air for the civil simulation community. But IL-2 is still ahead, way ahead, in physics modeling, IMO...

58 minutes ago, jcomm-in-il2 said:

But IL-2 is still ahead, way ahead, in physics modeling, IMO...

Agreed, but they too took their time. But I think GB by having too light irplanes to start with. By improving this it simply got amazing 

23 hours ago, jcomm-in-il2 said:

IL-2 is still ahead, way ahead, in physics modeling, IMO...

I'm not convinced yet.

The dancing 109 with it's physics-denying negative G manoeuvres after having received a few thousand cal .50 bullets is probably not what you're referring to, right?

I mean... there's little WW2 planes yet in MSFS 2020 (actually: Zero) and little airliners or private aircraft in IL-2 either (actually: Zero), so how do they compare?

How would a P-47 fly in MSFS 2020, and how a 747 in IL-2?

We don't know.

Mike

I think one should not confuse basic functionality of a simulation with the amout of work that is inversted in a particular plane.

Also, no simulation out there can compute post stall flight characteristics. This is always arbitarily scripted in one or the other way. You cannot take such behavior as reference for a simulations capabilities. If one could, you could also move „the other sims“ code base to /dev/null.

As far as lifting line theory is concerned, IL2 is amazingly good in hitting numbers that you get when you invest far more resources than just real time. But same goes for other simulations.

I find it hard getting any sense in any related media about msfs 2020. 
Personally I am happy this came out now. 
Ironic you go to cfs related forums to find a balanced pow and good advices. 
I do not know what people expected, we started GB with just a few planes. 
We flew happily along. Not to mention DCS gazillion failed patches. 
I believed cfs community was hysterical but we are actually nice guys

F9536081-BD05-465A-9215-C43A432B1345.png

D6E7B9EC-1E54-42D0-8972-F506E7DAACD9.png