Jump to content

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

one guy did a video saying it helps almost, but not really

 

Maybe instead of watching FPS - which are not supposed to change from enabling the rolling cache, why should they? - and load times - which ones is he talking about exactly? - he should have monitored network traffic vs. disc usage.

I can clearly say that with rolling cache enabled (mine is set to 128GB) you only load the same city's textures once from the internet.

If you revisit the same city again, the data will be loaded from your rolling cache, not from the inet.

And if your cache is located on a fast medium - mine is on an NVMe SSD - and your inet connection isn't of backbone quality - mine is 100MBit/s down - then you can clearly tell the difference of time it takes for the game to (re-)load textures from SSD vs. inet when you enter a rural area.

 

:drinks:

Mike

 

Edited by SAS_Storebror
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You may well be right. 

 

For my part, I don't know. I'll let you smart people figure it out and then tell me. :good:

 

I have FS20 on a (mostly) dedicated 1TB NVME and have a 60+Mbit connection. All in all I find it runs very well.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SAS_Storebror said:

I can clearly say that with rolling cache enabled (mine is set to 128GB) you only load the same city's textures once from the internet.

It would actually be nice if MS was a bit more forthcoming about what is cached where and when. Rolling cache and manual cache store different things.

 

Also, managing the cache is an utter pain in the neck. I set my manual cache first to 300 GB, only to discover that there is reatively little scenery that you can cache in the first place. From Switzerland down to Naples, you just get about 2 GB of data. Funny enough, there is no way of making that cache smaller or deleting it within the game, you have to delete the (300 GB in my case) file in Windows Explorer. Next time you start your sim, you will not have any manual cache and you can recreate it by newly selecting "manual cache" and setting a size.

 

The way this cache is implemented is also insane. Whatever little you cache, it seems to have to write the whole g*d d*mn file again. With 300 GB, you are way outside of the SLC cache of any recent SDD. If you have 50 GB of that cache, you can expect that 250 GB is written at about 100 MB/s in the M/TLC part. That is when you can get up from your seat and visit family you haven't seen in a long time. When you're back, *maybe* the cache is updated. Having manual cache set larger than your SLC buffer is hell.

 

The rolling cache has the advantage that this process is only done once and the game can fill that bucket while flying and I see no other hassle. If you need more space and you have to make that file smaller, the only way to do so is also deleting the file manually. Upon next startup, the file will be recreated at a small size, allowing you again to set a size.

 

It is incredibly cumbersome to use large files for cache, as selecting regions is painfully slow. Also download is also incredibly slow. Caching an area it does seemingly at the speed it allows for download while flying. And that is *up to* about 50 Mbit/s. Fetching Europes photoscenery is 14'400 Baud modem feeling.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

With 300 GB, you are way outside of the SLC cache of any recent SDD. If you have 50 GB of that cache, you can expect that 250 GB is written at about 100 MB/s in the M/TLC part. That is when you can get up from your seat and visit family you haven't seen in a long time. When you're back, *maybe* the cache is updated.

...or you're a lucky guy like me and have an SSD where the cache is sufficiently large (~150 GB in my case) and the SSD still does 500MB/s beyond that:

1629390.jpg.b25b9ea90b3350f5261518a3d15cd1eb.jpg

 

But I totally agree, the cache mechanism in FS 2020 could either be improved, or M$ simply forgot to tell us how to use it right.

 

:drinks:

Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SAS_Storebror said:

..or you're a lucky guy like me and have an SSD where the cache is sufficiently large (~150 GB in my case) and the SSD still does 500MB/s beyond that:

It's a good one. I would have gone for such, but I am restriced to Intel goods to make use of SSD's on the X299 platform. Striping SSD's increases the cache proportionally, that helps. Still, if it wasn't for the marginal real world per core advantage of very selected CPU's in Intels offerings compared to AMD, they would be not just dead, but Dodo-dead. Where it is not sub par, it is intentionally broken. It is whining at a very high level, but still. C'mon.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I bought the most expencive ssd I could find at the time. It got pro on the end. Bith 500 gb + one 1 t ordinary disk. 
I guess that is what ignorant stupid persons do. It might also explain why I have no problem

The space I allocated for FS2020 alone when i set up the game initially was half your total SSD space. My lesson learned is that escalating the cache size is better done with care and gradually. Much less problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I did not pay any attention when creating a account so I got a new name Woodierpage2603

Landingchallange Lukla  4th place 1. time, 2. time 6 place, come on people . Can someone plz try it and see. Is it only 10 people trying

Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.09 - 21.42.54.42.png

That looks like 42,674th place to me, Woodierpage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Otto_bann said:

Try Salettes in France south Alps...

 

Took two attempts (first involved more trees than I intended 😳), but I managed to put the Shock Ultra down there. Scary, but worth it for the scenery alone. Taking off is interesting too, since you basically just throw yourself off the top, and rely on gravity.

 

What I want to know is how anyone anyone figured out you could land there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

 

Took two attempts (first involved more trees than I intended 😳), but I managed to put the Shock Ultra down there. Scary, but worth it for the scenery alone. Taking off is interesting too, since you basically just throw yourself off the top, and rely on gravity.

 

What I want to know is how anyone anyone figured out you could land there.

Probably something like: "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

 

Can someone with firsthand knowledge give me an answer to the two questions I asked above, please?

 

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 does not currently support VR so do not expect an answer for some time.

Supposed to be rolling out VR support for the, as yet unavailable, HP G2 at some stage this year.

 

WW1 aircraft?, no idea but would take a big/ huge guess that is unlikely.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

 

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 does not currently support VR so do not expect an answer for some time.

Supposed to be rolling out VR support for the, as yet unavailable, HP G2 at some stage this year.

 

WW1 aircraft?, no idea but would take a big/ huge guess that is unlikely.

 

 I didn't know.  Signed onto that forum but couldn't find an answer.  Thanks for your help.

 

FWIW: if it's not in VR, it's not for me.  And I share your opinion about WWI planes in the future; just asked in the hope there was some word I hadn't been able to find.  Thanks again.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

Questions for those who also fly Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020:

 

The graphics are impressive on a monitor but how does it look in VR?

 

Is there any word from MS regarding whether or not FS 2020 might add WWI aircraft in the future?

 

Currently, with the eyecandy we show on the screenies, a super high end system might do this at 60 FPS maximum @4K. My 10 core with a 1080 does 30+ except over the densest areas like London where I get 22+ FPS with Ultra settings in 1440p., usually being limited evenly on GPU and CPU.

 

I can try to cut down setting such that I would get >150 FPS, but it will not look nice then, that‘s for sure.

 

If you are that attached to VR you might want to take a look at Prepar3D v5. Instead going full eye candy, they went full VR by going DX12. VR was implemented for some time now, but in this last version, instead of going eye candy, they almost doubled framerates for giving you the looks as in the last version. There is changes in depicting atmosphere etc., IIRC they use trueSKY now.

 

To make FS2020 go in a Reverb, I‘m sure Asobo must perform mo‘ miracles. But honestly, what we have now is so far ahead of everything we had so far... maybe VR next year? ;) VR is probably request No.1. But if it came to that, it would probably be WMR devices being supported, MS being MS...

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monostripezebra said:

Having a little fun in Las Vegas.. the 3D scanned cities have such a postapocalyptic vibe to it..

 

 

Yeah, something about the textures. I had the same feeling in NY. 

 

It looks like something from The Walking Dead.

On 9/9/2020 at 11:33 PM, dbzero said:

Nice clean site where I downloaded some scenery and other stuff. Pearl Harbor was nice. Arizona Memorial, USS Missouri added as well as docked cruisers and destroyers. One of the main roads was underwater though.

 

https://flightsim.to/

Thanks for the link. I grabbed couple of scenery packs.

 

Simple to install.

 

I am worried that Google will step in soon, a lot of the stuff is lifted from Google data and it's against their Terms of Service, so even though it's non-profit stuff I think we will see Google putting an end to it.

Edited by 1PL-Banzai-1Esk
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

 

If you are that attached to VR you might want to take a look at Prepar3D v5. 

 

I've owned PREPAR3D for more than a year; don't recall the version; V4, maybe?  Anyway, it's nice when I want to fly a D-18, Stearman, or F-35.  But I mostly enjoy VR in open cockpit planes.  I was hoping FS 2020 would have some WWI planes but I see now that it doesn't.  Thanks for your info.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

 

I've owned PREPAR3D for more than a year; don't recall the version; V4, maybe?  Anyway, it's nice when I want to fly a D-18, Stearman, or F-35.  But I mostly enjoy VR in open cockpit planes.  I was hoping FS 2020 would have some WWI planes but I see now that it doesn't.  Thanks for your info.  

I think this sim will get WW 1 planes. Eventually someone gonna make a good one. 
I won’t be flying VR in this Sim myself other than a few fun flights if any. 
But when Reverb 2 come, it will be the first VR In game. 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I think this sim will get WW 1 planes. Eventually someone gonna make a good one. 
I won’t be flying VR in this Sim myself other than a few fun flights if any. 
But when Reverb 2 come, it will be the first VR In game. 

 

Yeah I am holding off purchasing this sim until I have my Reverb G2 and the game supports VR.

I just refuse to play any games on the monitor - last one I did was back in Jan 2017.

I am spoiled with VR and just don't have any 2d only games any longer.

 

I am however much looking forward to seeing how it does with a new 30xx GPU and the Reverb G2 headset.

Nice to see major game companies starting to offer VR, like for this sim and also the new expansion to Elite Dangerous, was initially not going

to have VR support but they are now adding it, at least for the ships to start.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding early aircraft, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight had a 1903 Wright Flyer, a Curtiss Jenny and a Vickers Vimy included in the stock aircraft, so who knows what Microsoft might do at some point. I think it much more likely though that anything from WWI is likely to come from a third party. I'd be surprised if someone doesn't create a freeware Camel or Dr.1 eventually, though freeware quality can vary from excellent to abysmal. As indeed can some of the paid content.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

Regarding early aircraft, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight had a 1903 Wright Flyer, a Curtiss Jenny and a Vickers Vimy included in the stock aircraft, so who knows what Microsoft might do at some point. I think it much more likely though that anything from WWI is likely to come from a third party. I'd be surprised if someone doesn't create a freeware Camel or Dr.1 eventually, though freeware quality can vary from excellent to abysmal. As indeed can some of the paid content.

The Wright Flyer and Jenny never saw action in WW1, in particular the battle fields; the Vimy only saw limited action.

 

I wouldn’t be surprised if a Camel or Dr.1 wasn’t included (the Dr.1 in particular) as this is a real world sim not a combat sim. Sure, in other add-ons for FSX/Steam/P3D there’s been WW1 planes, and fighters/fighter jets where one carries ordinances, but considering that this game is more advanced than FSX, I doubt we’d see any WW1 planes, in particular German planes. If we did, it would be for free-flight, no combat there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Enceladus said:

but considering that this game is more advanced than FSX, I doubt we’d see any WW1 planes, in particular German planes. If we did, it would be for free-flight, no combat there.

I think in this particular sim, hyped as it is. It will come a lot. How advanced it is compared to others except graphics. I really do not know. I found doing a wether recon around where I live seem to be accurate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the La Salette sugesstion..

 

i feel it is a bit weird in MSFS2020 as the field elevation sunk into the hill rather then on top makes the takeoff from the direct leveled runway unpleasant and kind of all other hills around are way more comfy to land..

 

 

 

Edited by Monostripezebra
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Monostripezebra said:

i feel it is a bit weird in MSFS2020 as the field elevation sunk into the hill rather then on top makes the takeoff from the direct leveled runway unpleasant and kind of all other hills around are way more comfy to land..

Yes, I just made some circuits there myself. The elevation is odd and they'd never put the airstrip there if the hill really was like that. There are better alternatives, as you say.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Yes, I just made some circuits there myself. The elevation is odd and they'd never put the airstrip there if the hill really was like that. There are better alternatives, as you say.

 

You can always go into the editor and flatten the terrain a bit 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 1PL-Banzai-1Esk said:

Yeah, something about the textures. I had the same feeling in NY. 

 

It looks like something from The Walking Dead.

Thanks for the link. I grabbed couple of scenery packs.

 

Simple to install.

 

I am worried that Google will step in soon, a lot of the stuff is lifted from Google data and it's against their Terms of Service, so even though it's non-profit stuff I think we will see Google putting an end to it.

I was watching youtube and someone was doing a side by side comparison of FS2020 and Xplane11 and he commented that Xplane better have google maps on their speed dial...

 

I was looking at the Passenger Add-on and Pilot Edge. Pilot Edge looks cool, but feels intimidating. Once they add-true realtime weather, clean up loose ends and start adding some more activities it should get really interesting.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...