Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

Yeah the FSX ports are pretty jank from what I've seen. Still, at least someone's giving it a shot.

1 hour ago, Ace_Pilto said:

Yeah the FSX ports are pretty jank from what I've seen. Still, at least someone's giving it a shot.

Love to port an IL2-41 over to FS20. :biggrin:

From what I've read elsewhere, not only are most of the FSX ports of dubious quality, but some of them are outright piracy - converted from FSX without the permission of the original creator. Personally, I'm not going to download any port without strong evidence that it is legitimate. And that it is worth the effort...

Over 1 million pilots so far for FS 2020. Broke records on gamepass opening. Look like Micorsoft has created a big winner. I don't know what the current and past numbers are for flight sims in general, but I'm sure this is big in comparison. It sounds like FS2020 has a wider mainstream appeal too.

The add-on market is going to be huge. There are already projections that 2.6 billion dollars in hardware sales will be generated by FS2020 alone.

1 hour ago, dbzero said:

Over 1 million pilots so far for FS 2020. Broke records on gamepass opening. Look like Micorsoft has created a big winner. I don't know what the current and past numbers are for flight sims in general, but I'm sure this is big in comparison. It sounds like FS2020 has a wider mainstream appeal too.

The add-on market is going to be huge. There are already projections that 2.6 billion dollars in hardware sales will be generated by FS2020 alone.

BoX could get a big slice of that if they make some key improvements to the core singleplayer experience

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

DC 3 would be nice. But I wait and see if a official comes

BTW reworking my pit entirely. I have come to an end on combat flight sims. 
I gave my Rift S to my son. No DCS nor GB for a year. 
I met a wall, and need a break. I go for this and X plane for a while. 

There seems to be also an Race Mustang and even a Fokker DXXI I do not know if the quality is good. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

BoX could get a big slice of that if they make some key improvements to the core singleplayer experience

It would mean a royal redesign. 
It is something with Microsoft, trademark most known to man. And the hype about the game. Like a religion. 
Not easy to replicate. 

4 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Maybe our grandkids will see those improvements.  :P

In the meantime, FS2020 and DCS are getting my money.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

Maybe our grandkids will see those improvements.  :P

In the meantime, FS2020 and DCS are getting my money.

I bought the Cessna 182 in markedplace. 
And downloaded it in game. Never seen it again. I have no idea what to do. 
2020 will only get money from me if. 
Beaver, DC3 era planes, twin otter and such come. And some major updates improve the gami in general. 
DCS is put on shelves together with GB. 
If this game do not give me sufficient pleasure I take a year off from it all

The shine will eventually wear off to some extent... but make no mistake, this is the biggest advance in flight simulation in years.

It delivers the ability to actually take off almost anywhere in the world and navigate yourself in VFR over accurate terrain that is as close to real life as possible, and safely land at your destination, and importantly, just using the stock game without purchasing an expensive add on.

Yes it has problems that need ironing out, but regardless of the constant youtube videos and pictures that are gleefully showing up it's faults, it will massively improve as the months go by, more content and aircraft released etc...

I for one will not be deleting it off my hard drive anytime soon.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I bought the Cessna 182 in markedplace. 

And downloaded it in game. Never seen it again. I have no idea what to do. 
2020 will only get money from me if. 
Beaver, DC3 era planes, twin otter and such come. And some major updates improve the gami in general. 
DCS is put on shelves together with GB. 
If this game do not give me sufficient pleasure I take a year off from it all

Bummer on the 182. There must be a customer service contact somewhere. Someone owes you a plane or some cash.

Aerosoft is said to be making a Twin Otter. That will be an fast purchase for me. And you too, it seems.

I'm still flying DCS in between FS20 flights. The Harrier keeps pulling me back. Il2, though it looks better than ever, still has an SP experience that blows and it's on the shelf until someone finally decides it's worth improving.

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

I for one will not be deleting it off my hard drive anytime soon.

This is the best hop on fast fun go eat dinner go back flygame I ever had. 
I feel it lack a Caravan with floats, or rather a Beaver with floats a Cessna with floats and a bundle with vintage planes. 
I bet within a year we have all those. 
This sim stays , I give a damn in what the system purist flying x plane say. I got x plane, I know what I like best. But it need choppers

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

But it need choppers

It needs a Harrier! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Hi all!
I'm running MSF (Ultra settings 1080P) in a Ryzen 5 3600 @4.3GHz, 32GB @3GHz, SATA 500MB/s SSD and RX 5700 XT @2,1GHz... however, I'm getting some stuttering...
What should be happening?

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

Andy, some inspriration for you and the VL-3:

The VL-3 is nice, but for the moment, I'm engaged in taking an XCub from England to the Azores, to look at a volcano or two - when I'm not distracted by finding other things to do, and other planes to fly, instead. The quoted range (800 miles) seems optimistic, but the longest leg is only 487 nm (560 miles), so I should be able to do it without too much difficulty. I got to Rabat, Morocco, yesterday, leaving me with a short hop to Casablanca, followed by 464 nm to Madeira, and the 487 nm leg to the Azores. What I'll do after that though, trip-wise, I've not decided, but there are plenty more volcanoes out there and it's it's entirely possible that I'll take a long route home. Maybe via Tanna, Vanuatu, out in the south-west Pacific, which boasts a small but very enthusiastic little volcano -Mount Yasur - which has been puffing away more or less continuously for as long as anyone can remember. And if I've gone that far, it would make sense to carry on round, and take in Fuji-san,  Mount St. Helens etc. There are plenty of volcanoes out there, and most (not all - can't reach Hawaii for instance) are accessible.

A trip like this clearly going to take a few months minimum for me though, and if I'm doing it in live weather (which I'd like to do, though I'm cheating with time-of-day sometimes, for practicality), I'm probably going to have to leave the far-north final part until next spring. This is all rather open though, as my previous round-the-world efforts (in FSX and X-Plane) have tended to sort of fizzle out (though taking the two sims in combination, I'm about 1 1/2 times around in DC-3s, just not quite an a contiguous route). If a definitely-not-pirated, reliable, and reasonably accurate DC-3 becomes available, I'll probably finish the X-Plane Circumnavigation first, which If I remember correctly I left off parked at some obscure airfield in Sudan, heading westward back to Santa Monica via South America.

Meanwhile, I see on other forums that there are others with more dedication than me doing light-aircraft virtual circumnavigations, including one in an XCub,  who seems to be beyond half way around already. He's clearly not stopping to look at volcanoes on the way.

My Azores-trip XCub, arriving at the Rock of Unnecessary Distractions. Haven't tried it in the XCub, but the Zlin Shock Ultra will happily ridge-soar engine-off with a decent wind on the eastern slope, same as the VL-3 I mentioned earlier. Which is exactly the sort of reason why my trips seem to take so long...

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-02-23-03-15-3

Edited by AndyJWest

I did Dover-Calais in a Bonanza, it didn't feel the same. :(

11 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

If a definitely-not-pirated, reliable, and reasonably accurate DC-3 becomes available, I'll probably finish the X-Plane Circumnavigation first, which If I remember correctly I left off parked at some obscure airfield in Sudan, heading westward back to Santa Monica via South America.

Have you considered this one?

3 minutes ago, Ace_Pilto said:

I did Dover-Calais in a Bonanza, it didn't feel the same. :(

Try it engine-off. Should be possible, if you start high enough...

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Ace_Pilto said:

I did Dover-Calais in a Bonanza, it didn't feel the same.

Did you try?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

I think I phrased that rather badly. There is a freeware DC-3 for X-Plane which is almost as good (or maybe even better, opinions differ) which I'd been using. I don't think I'll be doing any more long-distance X-Plane trips though, given the superior out-of-the-box eye-candy that MSFS offers.

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I use the google map nav aid app offered in msfsaddon site together with my six saitek instruments to navigate by night. 
Try to use instruments and compass mostly I feel it is not a cheat getting help from a gps. 
Using this google map addon give you street names and really a feel of having your Ipad with you. 
I ruined my bonansa by updating it   I regret that. Now it got this digital instruments. I like flying the cub, 152 and Robin. 

Yeah, GPS is a mixed blessing. For practicality on long trips, I'd go with GPS and an autopilot, but doing it the old-fashioned way has its merits. I should probably fly my next XCub leg by old-fashioned pilotage, just to stay in practice - it's only 53 nm. And even the longer legs won't always be hard. I can remember thinking on my way from La Rochelle to Biarritz that I wouldn't really need anything to navigate that particular route beyond a clock, a compass, and an eyeball or two. Follow the coast south for an hour and a half or so - if you come to mountains, you've gone too far...

12 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Is it me or are the camera-controls a clusterduck?

Confusing, and unnecessarily complex. I think they are at least in part inherited from earlier MS fligh sims.

10 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

If by big slice you mean something like 0.1% then yeah maybe.

50 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Yeah, GPS is a mixed blessing. For practicality on long trips, I'd go with GPS and an autopilot, but doing it the old-fashioned way has its merits

I have the honeycomb and it is great for this sim. But I like to use the yoke and trim for hands off flying. Using trim buttons on yoke is awkward. I see the wheel moving slow and dandy but trim still very twitchy.  

3 hours ago, SCG_ErwinP said:

Hi all!
I'm running MSF (Ultra settings 1080P) in a Ryzen 5 3600 @4.3GHz, 32GB @3GHz, SATA 500MB/s SSD and RX 5700 XT @2,1GHz... however, I'm getting some stuttering...
What should be happening?

Hi Erwin, when you installed the game did it give you Ultra or High settings by default?  I've left mine on high and I'm quite happy with how the game performs.  I get occasional stutters when I turn my head with TrackIr to a 'new' piece of scenery but it quickly settles down again.  Have you tried the 'high' setting?

I seem to have developed a fascination with the Aleutian Islands at the moment:) which involves a lot of seascape on one side and mountains on the other.  A good way to induce temporary stutters.  I must explore this scenery cache business sometime.... 

5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Andy, some inspriration for you and the VL-3:

That was a great watch... they took a few chances and got away with it, but what an achievement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

it need choppers

I'd kill for choppers with reasonably realistic flight models in FS 2020.

:drinks:

Mike

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Is there a way to change the registration?

It’s in the comms section, tail number or something similar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

Is there a way to change the registration?

Go to the world map, then click on the aircraft screen top left, that will give you the option to click on the ATC tab... in there you can input your callsign, mine is Trooper117... the ATC will even call me up by name.

You can also input your Tail Number... mine is TPR117... this is displayed on my aircraft fuselage and under my wings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAS_Storebror said:

I'd kill for choppers with reasonably realistic flight models in FS 2020.

:drinks:

Mike

I am pretty picky myself. It is very good in DCS. Except from the Gazelle. 
I am not sure how it will go here. Only physics I noticed are on ridges. I cannot say I noticed ground effect yet

My tail number and callsign is Luse

1442083064_Screenshot(5).thumb.jpg.00c914c5e1ece28acd83d315ae384b81.jpg

Enjoy the little Pitts in life...

Just south of Tillamook, OR.

1942194180_Screenshot(7).thumb.jpg.121a62f593221cb2c2910327c5e46bc2.jpg

I was amazed the game is running pretty well on my system.

612487537_Screenshot(11).thumb.jpg.c957be9e38f6bc9b477062b9840ba79a.jpg

Arriving in Pacific City, OR.

1018781771_Screenshot(15).thumb.jpg.a2e1d53fc8cb40c1f586ea2c43f92162.jpg

Let's see what the local bar has to offer.

887418960_Screenshot(16).thumb.jpg.f633d59246e3b336e7a06096e5e5bd70.jpg

Crosswinds add a ton of perverse fun in the Pitts...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

There seems to be also an Race Mustang and even a Fokker DXXI I do not know if the quality is good. 

The fokker is totally broken. Open the window and the plane over-stresses. Half the instruments don't work and the flight model seems iffy.

Well started a world around project. I will dl scenery worth while having down the road. And visiting them. I dl Sandane airport Norway as a start. Took off from there and flew to Shetland. Ended the flight with crashing my dahrer into a hangar while attempting to park 😬

and downloaded Oxford airport and Stonehedge. 
I am not sure how to take on Scotland. A place I really like to see. But will start the trip tomorrow after downloading London landmarks.
I would like if possible try to join up somewhere with anyone. And have a formation flight if possible. 
just to see how this sim do on such activities. 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Sounds like fun.  
I haven’t got it yet, but when the appropriate aircraft arrive I’d be keen to retrace some of the old Imperial Airways routes.  Maybe even the old McRobertson air race from the UK to Australia.  

• Upvote 2