Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

I think so, yes.

IL-2 Great Battles also has a hard time when looking right and left quickly.

It's simply the amount of texture going in and out of view - as soon as it's more than the GPU can keep in it's cache, you'll get a certain FPS impact.

I guess that's why the M$ devs were so reluctant to provide TrackIR support from the beginning, and why they're still puzzled to include VR support.

:drinks:

Mike

23 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I hesitate to do this, it run smooth in 1080 , will it on 1440?

With a 3080 it probably would. :biggrin:

But I don't have one. :(

I'll probably stay at 1080, but I would like a 32" screen. 

8 minutes ago, SAS_Storebror said:

I think so, yes.

IL-2 Great Battles also has a hard time when looking right and left quickly.

It's simply the amount of texture going in and out of view - as soon as it's more than the GPU can keep in it's cache, you'll get a certain FPS impact.

I guess that's why the M$ devs were so reluctant to provide TrackIR support from the beginning, and why they're still puzzled to include VR support.

Mike

Is this most affected by the size/speed of vram?

If so, it's disappointing that the RTX 2070 and 2080 aren't coming with much more ram than the current gen. I'm not springing $1500 for a gpu.

5 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Is this most affected by the size/speed of vram?

If so, it's disappointing that the RTX 2070 and 2080 aren't coming with much more ram than the current gen. I'm not springing $1500 for a gpu.

I would with time. I am not entirely sure I will fly that much , making it worth while. 
I rather sit back with my current gear and wait to see what people say about this super gpu. Then I also know my willingness   To spend this money. 
I run a company, so I basically get it tax free, with money not going through sallary and tax. 
still hard earned money, so it better count

I guess it's the size of VRAM.

the RTX 3080 is said to come with 10GB at a price of $700 which would be a good deal IMHO, however that's the founders edition and honestly you'll want to wait for custom designs with slightly more sophisticated cooling solutions anyway.

Mike

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SAS_Storebror said:

and honestly you'll want to wait for custom designs with slightly more sophisticated cooling solutions anyway.

God I love good advices. I always jump the gun against better judgement. 
Probably done it on this too. 
Again, thank you. You should do this for a living, saving my money

• Haha 2

I don't notice a performance increase since the patch, but loading times have definitely improved for me... I also hope the problem of crashes when disconnecting X box controller, (I use it for looking around in drone view) have been rectified... not had a chance to check that yet.

I just noticed something disapointing: I bought the LOWI Addon Scenery.. and it is uncollidable.

Huge downside for me, anyone else knows anything about the other scenreies?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I'd be surprised if the makers of custom scenery consider accurate collision models much of a priority. The market they are selling for is probably much more concerned with appearance and with being able to be a pretend-airline-pilot than with interacting with the scenery that close up. Us pretend-fighter-aces are going to have to get used to the fact that most civilian simmers only expect to make contact with the runway. In a fully-functioning aircraft. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

I'd be surprised if the makers of custom scenery consider accurate collision models much of a priority. The market they are selling for is probably much more concerned with appearance and with being able to be a pretend-airline-pilot than with interacting with the scenery that close up. Us pretend-fighter-aces are going to have to get used to the fact that most civilian simmers only expect to make contact with the runway. In a fully-functioning aircraft. 

While that is true.. I still feel that especially uncolidable apron objects such as the light poles etc. take a lot away for "realistic" civi simming.. I mean what is the point of doing proper procedure, if you can´t screw up and learn from that?

Even wonky physics make everything so much better:

Edited by Monostripezebra
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Monostripezebra said:

While that is true.. I still feel that especially uncolidable apron objects such as the light poles etc. take a lot away for "realistic" civi simming.. I mean what is the point of doing proper procedure, if you can´t screw up and learn from that?

Given the way that such objects are routinely placed at AI-generated airports, I'm not sure making them collidable would be wise. And as for realism, personally I think the questionable flight-modelling at low speed/high AoA is much more of a concern as far as learning from screw-ups goes. There seems to be precious little comment on this on the forums though - probably because most civ-simmers have got used to poor modelling of the same thing in previous software.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Given the way that such objects are routinely placed at AI-generated airports, I'm not sure making them collidable would be wise. And as for realism, personally I think the questionable flight-modelling at low speed/high AoA is much more of a concern as far as learning from screw-ups goes. There seems to be precious little comment on this on the forums though - probably because most civ-simmers have got used to poor modelling of the same thing in previous software.

I flew over La Gomera ( second south Canari)

It is a lot of fog up in the forrest, temperature there is from 25 to 6 degrees celsius. I experienced a lot of believable 
thermal fun stuff 

I find it sufficient , maybe because I havent flown aerobatics yet

I'm not convinced that MSFS models thermals. What it does model though is updrafts and downdrafts from wind over terrain. I've just been flying the JMB VL-3 out of Gibraltar in live weather conditions. The wind is blowing 20 knots or so from the east, straight up against the near-vertical rock face, making for perfect ridge-soaring conditions! I found I could switch the engine off, and maintain altitude. The area of lift seems small though, doesn't extend down the face of the rock as much as I'd expect, and turbulence is severe. And if you get on the downwind side of the lift, it immediately turns into a severe downdraft, making impact with the back of the rock more or less inevitable.

Gibraltar, from a safer distance.

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-09-03-15-49-37-4

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

Us pretend-fighter-aces are going to have to get used to the fact that most civilian simmers only expect to make contact with the runway. In a fully-functioning aircraft. 

If you're not spiraling earthward, on fire with one wing, bleeding out in the cockpit, can you really be said to be having fun??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

If you're not spiraling earthward, on fire with one wing, bleeding out in the cockpit, can you really be said to be having fun??

Sometimes... 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

What was the wind speed Andy?😎

You can see it bottom left at the beginning of the video. 13 kt at 79°. That's at ground level though, and it seemed stronger higher up. It seems to agree pretty closely with the actual weather right now. See e.g. windy.com's maps, which show how the wind is getting funnelled through the strait.

GibWind.png

https://www.windy.com

I bought the 182 but it wont show up. 
dl in game restarted game and cannot see it. 
I dl apparently a update in the bonansa. 
now it get gps g 1000 😳 

I was sure the old one hsd analog dials. Can someone confirm this. 
In settings you can choose several flight models. Modern, fsx and val something. The latter can adjust realism. With everything on 100% my cub fly sideways. Anyone tested this. It is in modern by default

I was in Gibraltar last year, nice place and pretty good modeled. I soared with the 152. A good sailer over the hills. 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Very nice indeed!   I have an MS Sidewinder stick under my desk; balanced on top of an old shoebox and an upside-down wastepaper basket. 🙃

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Luxury. I have a desk 3 1/2 ft by 2 1/2 ft with the MSFFB2 snuggled into the pull out drawer that rests on my lap with the trackir thing taped to the top of my 27" screen. Works for me though. Got a drink coaster AND an ashtray.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

an upside-down wastepaper basket. 🙃

uuuh... okay.

If that improves your flying skills who am I to say something about it.

Basket.jpg

I just started trying out the landing challenges... But as a glider pilot, I need to do that without the fans on:

• Haha 1

Speaking of gliders, I'm surprised they didn't include the "Sully" approach.

• Haha 1

I need a bit of practice.. but after some tries I made place 23 worldwide without engine.. looks like we old time combat sim folks can still compete with the tons and tons of new civi simming folks!

Edited by Monostripezebra
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Monostripezebra said:

.. but after some tries I made place 23 worldwide without engine..

Just on the tarmac or do they offer planes to land on, too? :P

4 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

uuuh... okay.

If that improves your flying skills who am I to say something about it.

Basket.jpg

Hey! It’s Ned Kelly the game-show host😃

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Oooooohhhhh.

Me I wan dat!  :P

Me too, but at £120 per dial, I think I'll have to find a cheaper option.

I've been experimenting with using Spacedesk to use a Samsung Galexy tablet as a small extra monitor just for a pop-out 2d display panel that can sit under my main monitor. It works, but causes a lot of stuttering, probably due to trying to send a lot of data via WiFi. And the tablet doesn't seem to support networking via USB. ☹️ This might work for someone else though, if anyone wants to try it.

https://spacedesk.net/

• Upvote 1

is there a red bull cone racing leaderboard?

Edited by raaaid

More plane images hidden in the games files;

Extra 300?

Plane01_Large.thumb.png.719de775b761d8dbca356b062ba63ad1.png

Dash 8

Plane03_Large.thumb.png.a1b31eaa261b8323ae7e2ff15252bd8a.png

Not sure what type of Robin this is but its one with a forward sliding canopy

Plane06_Large.thumb.png.9bd62932640cd6f4f28d8eef68fe8095.png

1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

Me too, but at £120 per dial, I think I'll have to find a cheaper option.

Got these for less than 20$ each 4 years ago. No one wanted it for price asked. 
So I put in a offer and got them. Had them collecting dust 3 years now

much cheaper using using a extra screen and software. I hear touch screen can make u use the dials

Not my screenshots. From a Reddit post.

It's a mod I believe, not official.

Plane model imported from FSX possibly.

I am looking forward to fly this beauty when she is officialy in the sim and with decent flight model I hope.

41206gfq27l51.png

iaxvvfp037l51.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

DC 3 would be nice. But I wait and see if a official comes

BTW reworking my pit entirely. I have come to an end on combat flight sims. 
I gave my Rift S to my son. No DCS nor GB for a year. 
I met a wall, and need a break. I go for this and X plane for a while. 

3 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Working need a new usb hub for two more

image.jpg

Looks fantastic Luse!:salute:

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, 1PL-Banzai-1Esk said:

Not my screenshots. From a Reddit post.

It's a mod I believe, not official.

Plane model imported from FSX possibly.

I am looking forward to fly this beauty when she is officialy in the sim and with decent flight model I hope.

41206gfq27l51.png

iaxvvfp037l51.png

Prolly this one:

• Upvote 3