Flashy

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

S!

MSFS 2020 is a blip as AJW said. Heck, Bill Gates could pay the development from his own pockets and it would not even budge his finances. It is good that MS is making FS2020. It stirs up the competition and sets the bar in many areas higher than it is now. And also paving the way of future implementations in various aspects of gaming etc. Even I do not like "civvie simulators" FS2020 might be the first one I will test, just for the weather and cloud system. And that terrain rendering looked gorgeous. And if MS would revive CFS series...

What I like most about FS2020 is that it ends the antique autogen system still carried on by P3D. It is rather obvious that this (and some other) tech really has seen its best days. In many ways it was a blessing that MS messed up and ditched flight sims althogether. It allowed for a stable base and an amazing ecosystem to grow on FSX. But now, we're clearly reaching a limit of what that tech can do. LockheedMartin clearly wasn't under much pressure to make great strides and it took them a long time to go 64 bits. But now, things change. It's nice to see some cometition. XPlane I do't really see as cmpetition for P3D as the markets are too different. But if MS sets the bar *that* high, it surely puts pressure on LM.

It's a great time for flight sims.

if you can not compete against people thats boring to death, if they only resurrected cfs with that engine

18 minutes ago, raaaid said:

if you can not compete against people thats boring to death, if they only resurrected cfs with that engine

Well yes, if you don't enjoy civvie flight sims, you won't like it. As for resurrecting CFS, I can't see it happening in the short term, and I'd be surprised if Microsoft were even contemplating it. They'd have to come up with some really fancy AI to use current satellite data to  generate a 1940's map, and the high-detail global modelling is one of their key selling points. And I'd have thought that there is too much involved in a modern air combat simulator to make reworking MSFS into one a practical proposition. When CFS came out, things were a lot simpler.

CFS ? Even Microsoft would spend many years to even equal IL-2 or DCS.

The satellite big data streaming solution seems indeed only applicable for current-day civilian flight sims.

But maybe the so called new Microprose can still come up with a true(?) challenger to IL-2 or DCS Modern Air War (but I personally doubt it !).

I invested a lot of time and money into DCS and now (less) into IL-2 and a successor better be real convincing and ground breaking !

Many devs have tried to get into flight combat sims in the past, many have failed and probably lost a lot of money in the process !

My assumption is that these sims are incredibly hard to make (takes a lot of the very best software engineers and aviation experts of course) and it

is far easier and economically more logical to produce the next PUBG or Doom.

Microsoft itself won t risk it, but maybe they would be better off to heavily invest in 1C/777 and/or ED and that way at least get their name on the opening screens 🙂   

Edited by simfan2015

4 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

No worn edges on the dashboard and no scratches, spit and fingerprints on the canopy? Meh...

• Like 1

Real cockpits have a beer bottle tucked away in a corner, half-filled with a yellowish fluid. Do not under any circumstances assume that it is beer...

• Haha 3

I saw Century Link Field, just 35min south of me.  GO HAWKS!!!

In the end, if I could fly over places I know and would like to know, in FS2020, with the graphics we've seen, dropping $15 a month ain't no thang. :new_russian:

I just watched this clip and at several points I couldn't tell if it were real or simulation. That's magical. I want this in VR.

1 hour ago, Algy-Lacey said:

I just watched this clip and at several points I couldn't tell if it were real or simulation.

Oh what a time to be alive!

Try flying it really low over any British beach; if it's not covered in discarded plastic bags and other rubbish, then rest assured you're definitely not flying a real plane.

• Haha 2

Only 20,000 blu-ray disk to ship as a physical copy.  Count me in!

• Haha 1

I hope this thing uses multiple CPU cores and doesn't just need one running at 8GHz.

For this, I'd splurge on a 3700X.

• Upvote 1

I hear they talk about subscription price every month. Anyone able to confirm that? 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

it happens to me nowadays with many games, shortsightedness acutes the effect

4 hours ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

I hear they talk about subscription price every month. Anyone able to confirm that? 

I've heard that, but not sure.

I wonder if you have to pay for it initially and then pay each month? Like $100 for the sim and then $15 as month for server access.

i also "heard" that its not vr supported either.

both a sub model and no vr are a bit of a turn off, for me. id love to get hard info from those of you on the know!

• Sad 1

Are you speaking of FS2020?

If so I think this will get kicked over to the Free Subject forum as there is already much posted on the matter.

I wouldn’t expect a lot of work to go into physics in a civil sim.  The streaming nature of the title will probably restrict the options for the third party addon industry too.  

S! 

By looking at the dev updates it has physics and not just a basic one. Weather effect and clouds look amazing. Overall it looks very good. Sure it is a civvie sim, but hey, you can always go out being a bushpilot or other things. Sometimes sight seeing in a scenery can be relaxing and fun. Definitely following how it develops. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Imma put it like this: I have stopped buying and planning any Payware for XP11 the very Second the MSFS2020 Announcement came.

28 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

Imma put it like this: I have stopped buying and planning any Payware for XP11 the very Second the MSFS2020 Announcement came.

Yeah, I have a hard time thinking anyone is dropping any cash, much less hundreds of dollars, into FSX or X-plane add-ons right now.

The "base package" for the ORBX global products, plus the cost of Prepar3d V4, will set you back about $250 to $350US. That's not chump change. That's for stuff that could well be obsolete, so to speak, in a few months.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

Dito.

We'll see how it turns out. The screenies of 2020 look nice. The elephant in the room is whether it will look all that nice on a less than hot-shot rig.

We'll also see, how well the default airplanes are made. Usually systems-depth leaves a lot to be desired in the default airplanes - to appease the beginners that just want to poke holes into the air...

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

Double ditto!

And so glad we are getting fiber optic here this year to boot.

Edited by BornToBattle

I'm sure I'll pick up a copy but probably won't fly until they get VR sorted out.

If it's as good as it looks, every computer related purchase I make (or don't make) will center around that simulation.

Edited by CUJO_1970

55 minutes ago, CUJO_1970 said:

If it's as good as it looks, every computer related purchase I make (or don't make) will center around that simulation.

Yep. Same here. Looks like the  game will have a more advanced engine and will require more modern PC.

This thing will require solid multi threading performance and lots of memory, both stand alone and video memory.

Here's a little video with some general idea about hardware requirements:

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Upvote 2

I’m excited for it. We’ll finally be able to fly over our smaller hometowns and have good scenery without payware or downloads. Looking forward to Wisconsin looking like Wisconsin in a flight sim and not rural Iowa. :)

16GB RAM on the video card? Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

Mind you, I have zero intention of using 4K.

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

16GB RAM on the video card? Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

Mind you, I have zero intention of using 4K.

Yeah. you are right. Looks like this is just a fan video nothing official, as i thought initially, so take it with a bucket of salt. :lol: I do expect it to need eight or more cores. The next Xbox comes with eight cores/sixteen threads, AMD cpu.

Edited by Jaws2002

11 minutes ago, Jaws2002 said:

Yeah. you are right. Looks like this is just a fan video nothing official, as i thought initially, so take it with a bucket of salt. :lol: I do expect it to need eight or more cores. The next Xbox comes with eight cores/sixteen threads, AMD cpu.

To fly over Canada at that level of eye candy, I'd splurge on a 3700X.

But the 8GB I have the on video card now better suffice.

FS2020 will be released for xbox one - so when your pc can handle xbox games now - why shouldn't it FS2020?