Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

8 minutes ago, blitze said:

Oh but come on, nothing can surpass Flight Sim of yesteryear.¬† Those awesome blocky graphics, 8 bit sound - ahhhh, the memories - taking off from Megs Airfield in 256 colours.ūüėĀ

Interesting to see what they do with it but I'm a sucker for WW2 Warbirds.

lol agreed! One of of the first games I had on my first computer (386sx) was flight sim 3 and I too have fond memories of that Chicago airport, and it even had a Sopwith Camel in it! :biggrin:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flashy said:

its still not bad..

3D clouds... I'm definitely getting interested. Well, curious.

1 hour ago, blitze said:

Oh but come on, nothing can surpass Flight Sim of yesteryear.¬† Those awesome blocky graphics, 8 bit sound - ahhhh, the memories - taking off from Megs Airfield in 256 colours.ūüėĀ

Interesting to see what they do with it but I'm a sucker for WW2 Warbirds.

256 colors, I flew in black and white on a 9" curved screen. 

Very impressive terrain rendering. But there are a few problems I noticed

381887662_riveroverroad.png.04793f75dd49890c80423803fa003594.png

Otherwise MS has produced a sim that can eclipse google earth for landscape graphics. And they'll probably have a much better flight model:biggrin:

• Haha 1

Pretty cool to be sure but if it involves a subscription fee of any size I'm not touching it with a 10 ft pole.

6 hours ago, TunaEatsLion said:

256 colors, I flew in black and white on a 9" curved screen. 

Ah those were the days.

At least with VR the screens are smaller but they do show a lot more colours and pixels and have huge magnifyling glasses infront of each one.

Given this is a MS product, I will be skeptical of its payment system not to mention that civi flight sims are a bit of a Yawn for me.  I can appreciate the new ways of doing landscape and atmosphere though.  If they built some Red Bull style aerobatic aircraft with some similar matched courses, that would be fun.

Then again I like tree hugging, after a barrel into them at high speeds on a bicycle going down some pretty mean terrain.¬† Sucker for punishment. ūüėĀūüĎć

Some of the scenery is incredible!

As long as it doesn't require $500 in add-ons and a endless tweaking, I'd get it.

22 hours ago, pfrances said:

Pretty cool to be sure but if it involves a subscription fee of any size I'm not touching it with a 10 ft pole.

I have been thinking about that and ordinarily I would agree with you that subscription based services are usually pretty high on my list of "anti-consumer" behaviour that a lot of the big names like EA, Activision and Bethesda are engaging in these days (along with micro-transactions , releasing unfinished products as full-price games, selling pay-to-win items, etc), but in this case I might actually be willing to tolerate a subscription fee because of the sheer amount of data that the game seems to be relying on in real-time. Things like weather data (from 3rd party suppliers) and the streaming of large amounts of Bing map data etc create a constant expense that has to be paid for somehow, and I dont think a simple "buy-once-play-forever" model will cover that ongoing expense. Dont get me wrong, I would infinitely prefer the normal pricing model, but this might be one of the few cases where a subscription model is actually justified..

• Like 1

I love FSX. FS2020 should be a blast.

Challenging runways and piss poor weather, gusting crosswinds and under-powered aircraft with random engine failures mode set to ON, FREQUENT!.

Such fun

I want to set up a virtual airway called Screaming Terror Airlines. (If you fly with us again, you fly for free) 

• Upvote 3

I'm almost scared to try it because it might be a point of no return and it could spoil all other sims for me. 

IL2 can still best this if they come up with amazing physics & destruction engine for all the objects on the ground. I personally would prefer this approach because of infinite unpredictability & replayability of physical interactions. Microsoft sim will be akin to looking at a postcard, beautiful yet flat and lifeless, but IL2 will have a world you actually want to interact with, just to see what happens, which may continue to surprise you, again and again, due to aforementioned unpredictability. Also from a marketing standpoint if you cannot beat a competitor at their game (basically mapping the entire world), you have to find another way.

That being said I wish IL2 would pay Microsoft for their clouds & weather technology, so they can integrate it without wasting time and resources of a small studio on those highly specific and complex tasks. Maybe today's Microsoft can be reasoned with, because recently they opened-up lots of their software.

• Upvote 1

I had no interest in civilian flight sims until I saw this recently. Fingers crossed that they incorporate an equally mind-blowing ATC which can be interacted with pretty naturally. The question mark at the moment is their comment that VR is a "maybe later". Maybe there are technical issues due to the way they're rendering the graphics because I can't see why a modern flight sim would be not be made VR compatible as a no-brainer.

The lead guy mentioned about the possibility of "fighter jets" so DCS had better keep things tight and say a prayer or two. Of course MS have a background in WW2 combat flight sims too, so who knows where all this could lead. 

Anyway, it looks like we're on the frontier of the next generation of flight sims. Exciting times!

S! 

Looks nice, especially weather/clouds/lighting. Surpasses BoX hands down. Comparing terrain..would need be done on same spots. Like Kuban or new BoBp map, side to side. 

@"The lead guy mentioned about the possibility of "fighter jets" ...

But ... "fighter jets" ... without a war ? SP ? Shooting (if even possible) at what ... appartment buildings, civilian trains ?

Fighter jets without campaigns, missions of some sort. 

There are already fighter jets (DLC) in other civilian flight sims ... but do fighter pilots here really care ? 

I am more interested at what the new Microprose is about to deliver to us (?) ! 

Edited by simfan2015

It looks awesome.

But then again, so did FLIGHT back in the day and we all know where it ended...

I'll follow this one with curiosity.

2 hours ago, simfan2015 said:

But ... "fighter jets" ... without a war ? SP ? Shooting (if even possible) at what ... appartment buildings, civilian trains ?

Well, much like what DCS is. :))

• Haha 1

Indeed, at this time the DCS WWII experience is not OK (yet?).

But I do love those *few* DCS WWII planes that are already there though.

However DCS will get 3 WWII maps quite soon ... not as many and as great as IL-2 GB, but OK nevertheless !

Even today DCS WWII is indeed still more like a 1980 flightsim with some WWII warplanes.

Yet I do love to shoot those nice looking¬†109 and 190¬†... in my beloved ... F-14B¬†and soon ... F16-C ūüôā

Edited by simfan2015

Seems that are a lot of guns around that just want the plane - without their era background and couterparts.

See this MilViz Stuka for FSX, P3D - at least is free:

But their nice FG-1D Corsair is $40.

@Sokol1.

Nice video and planes !

It all depends what you want from a sim/game.

If only truly simulating then FSX, OP3D, MS Flight Sim and yes ... DCS WWII is fine. Planes are very true-to-life.

But for me the whole atmosphere (war environment, immersion ...) completes this experience.

DCS is OK (not prefect though), but IL-2 GB and CloD are much better in this.

To me even simple arcade games like the Novalogic Comanche and Armored Fist series were, IMHO, awesome because of this (war) immersion factor.

But if one want to be a real and only (commercial) 'pilot' then Microsoft Flight Simulator will be hard to beat. 

Regards,

Stefaan

Edited by simfan2015

More flight simulators is a good thing, and this truly looks fantastic. Commercial sims has never been very interesting to me, but I can't deny that cruising around my old haunts in the archipelago sounds...appealing. You have my attention, Microsoft. I'm a little confused as to the notion of gameplay though - is anything actually planned, or is it truly just a 'free flight' kind of deal through and through?

No Missions? Careers? Jet liner jobs? No narrative or conceptual framing at all? 
I'm not at all familiar with how commercial sims normally approach these things, but surely it's more interesting to have the underlying structure of the actual jobs?

On 10/3/2019 at 5:25 AM, [PFR]Sarpalaxan said:

This thing looks so good. Saadly it won't have VR Support at launch. 

Yeah that is sad and a bummer, I would have been all over this if it did.

If and when it ever gets VR support, I would purchase it.

• Upvote 1

I heard from the demos that the "Atmospheric conditions" this means the cloud system is built on a 32 layer structure. This allows to build a vertically very detailed cloud system that can model in 3D basically any type of clouds from ground up to the stratosphere ūüôā¬†. This allows for flying between cloud layers with all the lighting effects. Just marvelous.

I do not know how many layers IL2 use but it seems to me at most probably three.

• Upvote 1

Quote of the day: 'Once you get the chance to try it to fly over your house'.

Don't forget to select 'subtitles' 'cause the guy's French accent doesn't make it easy to understand what he is actually talking about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, P4r4n01d_1313 said:

Any chance to use this engine for a new IL-2 game?

It wouldn‚Äėt be of any use, as Bing Maps doesn‚Äėt contain historic sceneries. Even if someone cared to do such (and make such sceneries), you‚Äėd be more porting the planes to MS2020 than vice versa. You‚Äėd stall the entire development for IL2 for the sake of unknown licensing issues.

• Upvote 1

You know, I just got to thinking, it might be really fun to do fly by of some of the regions we've got our air wars over and see what's changed in 70, 100 years... 

I wonder if they'll have a Mustang in the plane lineup.

On 10/25/2019 at 2:21 PM, simfan2015 said:

Incredible weather system indeed ... guess we all better start saving for that ... RTX 3080 Ti then !

Microsoft XBOX runs on AMD hardware.

@OpticFlow.

Indeed Xbox = AMD, but it would amaze me ik the XBOX next gen would beat a, also not yet released, "RTX 3080Ti".

Would anyone considering simming go for ... an XBOX ??? 

The 2020 high-end AMD Navi cards will most probably become other great GPU options ... just wanted to state we might need an high end computer.  

26 minutes ago, simfan2015 said:

@OpticFlow.

Indeed Xbox = AMD, but it would amaze me ik the XBOX next gen would beat a, also not yet released, "RTX 3080Ti".

Would anyone considering simming go for ... an XBOX ??? 

The 2020 high-end AMD Navi cards will most probably become other great GPU options ... just wanted to state we might need an high end computer.  

They are targeting the current XBox One, https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/microsoft-flight-simulator

Probably that's the main reason behind the in-game data streaming. Also, in the interview one of the devs mentioned that the graphics engine is running on DX11 with plans to move to DX12 later on. No ray-tracing either: