Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Charlo-VR said:

Have I missed anyone posting videos of their flying over any of the Great Battles area maps? It would be neat to see the rivers and lakes we might recognize, though of course the roads, buildings, etc. would be completely different

I checked out the Kuban peninsular around Anapa.  Unfortunately it's just as ugly in FS2020 as it is in DSC - brutalist Soviet era concrete everywhere.  GB certainly chose the best period to model it. 

I also flew SW down the Meuse valley starting in Liege (one of the more interesting areas on the otherwise bland Rhineland map).  But it is an area that the auto-gen terrain seems to struggle with.  The forests are just flat textures, the GPS height map produces a lot of glitches and the river undulates like a roller coaster.  All issues I hope with time Asobo can improve.  

I also visited Portsmouth one of the 2 cities in the UK that have been re-created using photogrammetry data and it looks fantastic with an amazing level of detail.  Flying over terraced house you can even see all the crap people have in their gardens (bikes, kids swings, barbeques etc).  However, where it falls over spectacularly is recreating ships.  HMS Queen Elizabeth looks like a 5 year old has hand drawn it and HMS Victory is almost unrecognisable with trees where its masts should be, same goes for HMS Warrior.

Edited by Yardstick
  • Thanks 1

Curious to see what some of the Pacific atolls and volcanic areas look like.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Yardstick said:

I checked out the Kuban peninsular around Anapa.  Unfortunately it's just as ugly in FS2020 as it is in DSC - brutalist Soviet era concrete everywhere.  GB certainly chose the best period to model it. 

I seem to recall reading somewhere that nearly half the buildings in the United States have been erected since 1980.      I suppose that must give some  indication of how the built environment has grown in the years after WW2.  This is FS2020’s Kuban😯

Edited by DD_Arthur
  • Like 2

Have any of you taken Micrsoft's advice and visited Kitty Hawk yet?  If so, was the actual monument (3d model) there for you? All I've got is a crappy texture drawing which seems really odd since the game recommends it as a spot to visit....

Posted (edited)

Croatian coastline (Dugi otok and Kornati archipelago) and Swiss Alps (from Geneva lake going east) so far nicest experience for me!

Started around the world trip in Cessna 172, started from Zadar/Croatia>Rome>Milano>Courchevele>Geneve....

Edited by =VARP=Ribbon
  • Like 2

On 8/27/2020 at 1:16 PM, CanadaOne said:

A couple of youtube videos. I mean, it was on the Internet so it MUST be true.

Or maybe I'm just a bear of very little brain and I'm misreading this.

That was more or less proven to be false in one of the comments to that vid. A misunderstanding by the guy that posted the vid.

33 minutes ago, FlyingNutcase said:

That was more or less proven to be false in one of the comments to that vid. A misunderstanding by the guy that posted the vid.

Unfortunately it's too late. We the mistaken have formed an organization and are moving forward. We believe there will be a patch, very soon, tremendously soon, and it will be yuuuuuge, like never before. 

15 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

patch, very soon, tremendously soon, and it will be yuuuuuge, like never before. 

You forgot greatest in history of Precid...ehhSims

Anyway I got six saitek pro flight instruments I hope will get compability. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, =VARP=Ribbon said:

Croatian coastline (Dugi otok and Kornati archipelago) and Swiss Alps (from Geneva lake going east) so far nicest experience for me!

Started around the world trip in Cessna 172, started from Zadar/Croatia>Rome>Milano>Courchevele>Geneve....

Isn’t part of the Croatian coastline a world heritage site? I know it’s stunning, wish I was there now😍

@Andy - absolutely breathtaking!👍

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

Isn’t part of the Croatian coastline a world heritage site? I know it’s stunning, wish I was there now😍

Yes, Kornati and part of some coastline cities.

If you ever visit it and find yourself near Zadar, let me know, beer is on me! 🍻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, =VARP=Ribbon said:

Yes, Kornati and part of some coastline cities.

If you ever visit it and find yourself near Zadar, let me know, beer is on me! 🍻

Beer will be on =VARP=Thor, he’s shot me down often enough!😆

• Haha 1

This was in the games files. I don't think a cub with floats has been shown off anywhere or maybe I'm just having a senior moment.

Activities.thumb.png.7cae94fdce83d382a74eadffaa858de5.png

There is also this....

Asobo\FreeFlights\POI\Aircraft_POI\HondaJet_POI\HondaJet_POI.FLT

Additionally there is some stuff related to forest fires, so I'd guess that fire fighting missions were/are planned. And there are references to bush missions in alaska, chile, 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LizLemon said:

This was in the games files. I don't think a cub with floats has been shown off anywhere or maybe I'm just having a senior moment.

Activities.thumb.png.7cae94fdce83d382a74eadffaa858de5.png

There is also this....

Asobo\FreeFlights\POI\Aircraft_POI\HondaJet_POI\HondaJet_POI.FLT

Additionally there is some stuff related to forest fires, so I'd guess that fire fighting missions were/are planned. And there are references to bush missions in alaska, chile, 

I definitely haven't seen any mention of the Float Cub or the Honda Jet, definitely hoping we get both as well as fire fighting missions!

Edited by DBFlyguy

I'd be wary of reading too much into random files in the MSFS install. From what I've read elsewhere there are all sorts of strange things lurking in there, probably just left overs from earlier versions of FSX that nobody has bothered to remove, just in case it breaks something...

Asobo is the developer. Ever single thing labeled asobo is stuff they created, you can even tell which stuff they made vs fsx/2k4/cfs leftovers based on the naming conventions. Also that cub was clearly captured in 2020.

ORBX has a freeware airport (OG20 Fairways Airport) released. Anyone installed that one? I dread to link ORBX to MSFS, I fear it would make my 30 FPS just 15 FPS...

What this game has taught me, is that I have no interest in doing a PPL.

I find nearly all the aircraft in this game extremely boring (just a personal opinion, don't get triggered). I think the game itself is exceptional regarding flight, and particularly weather.

I can't wait for more aircraft to be added, mainly warbirds. I'm not worried about shooting things (can do that in other games), but just flying around with some decent speed and being able to hoick it around the sky without having to worry about (in reality, sensible) boring structural limits.

Can't wait for a Spit or a Mustang, or even better a Tomcat or Viper in this game one day hopefully!!!!

Flight sim heaven for me, would be my DCS jets in this environment.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

ORBX has a freeware airport (OG20 Fairways Airport) released. Anyone installed that one? I dread to link ORBX to MSFS, I fear it would make my 30 FPS just 15 FPS...

I got it, it's nice. And it's free.

But the question I ask with scenery like that, is "why bother?" It's nice scenery and it's free and it's cool that they made it for us. But for the 45-seconds you're going to spend there before you bugger off to explore the other bazillion square miles of the world, and the other 37,000 airports, all of which looks better than anything we've seen before, is it really worth it to make/install/(buy?) scenery of a small place that has no meaning to you?

Unless the improvements are more than incremental, I can't see buying scenery. I've had a dozen flights where the eye candy blew me away already. And I've barely scratched the surface of this thing. Spending $20 or $30 to make a very, very small piece of it slightly better doesn't seem like money well spent to me. 

We need more planes, WWII planes and some fast movers.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, DD_fruitbat said:

I think it fair to say I now know I’m not capable of taking a PPL.🤪

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DD_fruitbat said:

I find nearly all the aircraft in this game extremely boring (just a personal opinion, don't get triggered). I think the game itself is exceptional regarding flight, and particularly weather.

I can't wait for more aircraft to be added, mainly warbirds. I'm not worried about shooting things (can do that in other games), but just flying around with some decent speed and being able to hoick it around the sky without having to worry about (in reality, sensible) boring structural limits.

I am moving within a year or two off grid , getting problematic getting somewhere. 
I have always been where you are now, having a lot of friends with PPL, many of them just let it run out. If you not really have a use for it, it simply get boring flying in circles. 
what finally triggered me to buy this , is the fact that I can maybe be in a situation a plane can be handy for transportation. 
So all I got to figure out is how much more do I have to work in order to justify a plane. The idea is to work less. But this game is extremely handy figuring out what is possible. 
In Norway you can have a private grass field and use it 10 times (5 takeoffs and 5 landings) a week without following regulations normally attached to airfields. I might finally take ppl for a good reason. 

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

Unless the improvements are more than incremental, I can't see buying scenery. I've had a dozen flights where the eye candy blew me away already.

My first big city flight was over Miami. 
I am impressed. Syria map in DCS is great down close. But flying over Miami at 2000 feet is better

btw. I found flying cub and cheap cessna mostly. I use my collective as flap like in the teal thing. Got a nice vibe

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I am moving within a year or two off grid , getting problematic getting somewhere. 
I have always been where you are now, having a lot of friends with PPL, many of them just let it run out. If you not really have a use for it, it simply get boring flying in circles. 
what finally triggered me to buy this , is the fact that I can maybe be in a situation a plane can be handy for transportation. 
So all I got to figure out is how much more do I have to work in order to justify a plane. The idea is to work less. But this game is extremely handy figuring out what is possible. 
In Norway you can have a private grass field and use it 10 times (5 takeoffs and 5 landings) a week without following regulations normally attached to airfields. I might finally take ppl for a good reason. 

My first big city flight was over Miami. 
I am impressed. Syria map in DCS is great down close. But flying over Miami at 2000 feet is better

btw. I found flying cub and cheap cessna mostly. I use my collective as flap like in the teal thing. Got a nice vibe

Agreed its boring to fly in circles or just point A to point be (and expensive) this is why I do this kind of flying, keeps your skills up,very fun and an adrenaline rush.

Edited by SCG_motoadve
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, SCG_motoadve said:

Agreed its boring to fly in circles or just point A to point be (and expensive) this is why I do this kind of flying, keeps your skills up,very fun and an adrenaline rush.

Hi mate,

your second video is very interesting considering the whole visibility discussion we have since weeks! Especially the sequence at 3.15 one might loose the contact - well

at least as a spectator - it is quite easy here to loose visual contact depending on the background (green/greyish). Now imagine the same situation in a fierce combat

were you also need to be vigilant against all other opponents trying to sneak behind you - check your six and here you are: "Where's my target?"

Thanks for sharing - I always like your videos except for the landscape your flying over, to me it is some kind of dreary or bleak, but that isn't your fault of course.

Cheers

32 minutes ago, SCG_motoadve said:

Is that the Noble House "Marseille" Jacket you're wearing by any chance? 😁

2 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Flight sim heaven for me, would be my DCS jets in this environment.

I would pay a considerable sum for that.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SCG_motoadve said:

or just point A to point be (and expensive

Yes but while flying routes you might do or have done in the past. Taking it seriously. 
It is weird, should be boring and tidious. But is not. 
Flying these 50 to 160 minutes routs bring another dimention. In real time wether, kind of show your capabilities. In special about doing it safe and by regulation within a PPL licence. 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

32 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Is that the Noble House "Marseille" Jacket you're wearing by any chance? 😁

Yes, good catch, you must know that brand real well :)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SCG_motoadve said:

Yes, good catch, you must know that brand real well :)

I have visited their shop in Ulm a couple of years ago and was thinking about getting one, too 😁

Listening to how bored people might get ''just flying from A to B'' take a look at this video from Squirrel... he's a real pilot and is trying to show that through the new game, how you can take a flight and make it more like real life... if any of you have not actually made a flight plan in real life, watch this all the way through and see what is achievable through the game if you want to approach it with a real life mentality to flying.

By the way, subscribe to Squirrels channel, there is a lot to be learned from him...

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

I got it, it's nice. And it's free.

But the question I ask with scenery like that, is "why bother?" It's nice scenery and it's free and it's cool that they made it for us. But for the 45-seconds you're going to spend there before you bugger off to explore the other bazillion square miles of the world, and the other 37,000 airports, all of which looks better than anything we've seen before, is it really worth it to make/install/(buy?) scenery of a small place that has no meaning to you?

Unless the improvements are more than incremental, I can't see buying scenery. I've had a dozen flights where the eye candy blew me away already. And I've barely scratched the surface of this thing. Spending $20 or $30 to make a very, very small piece of it slightly better doesn't seem like money well spent to me. 

We need more planes, WWII planes and some fast movers.

There is still TONS of room for expandability for FS2020 with additional scenery.  Only 40 of those 37,000 airports are hand crafted and only 341 cities are photorealistic.  I got lucky that I live in a capital city and its depicted photorealistic but there are several surrounding cities I would gladly pay to be brought to photorealistic levels as well as airports. 

Here is the full list of what cities currently have the photorealistic treatment, you'll notice even some pretty major cities and landmarks are missing.  Asobo and Microsoft know what they are doing and know there is plenty of room to grow and plenty of folks willing to pay for that growth:

https://www.fanbyte.com/guides/a-complete-list-of-all-photorealistic-cities-in-microsoft-flight-simulator-2020/

22 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Listening to how bored people might get ''just flying from A to B'' take a look at this video from Squirrel... he's a real pilot and is trying to show that through the new game, how you can take a flight and make it more like real life... if any of you have not actually made a flight plan in real life, watch this all the way through and see what is achievable through the game if you want to approach it with a real life mentality to flying.

By the way, subscribe to Squirrels channel, there is a lot to be learned from him...

Nice vid!  Yeah, I don't really get the folks getting "bored" just because someone isn't virtually shooting at them...  But I do have a PPL so all the GA is just cool on a more personal level I guess, there are tons of other real world pilots like myself just eating this sim up

Edited by DBFlyguy

31 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Watched it last night. This guys output is head and shoulders above the rest of the YouTube hoards in my opinion.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, DBFlyguy said:

There is still TONS of room for expandability for FS2020 with additional scenery.  Only 40 of those 37,000 airports are hand crafted and only 341 cities are photorealistic.  I got lucky that I live in a capital city and its depicted photorealistic but there are several surrounding cities I would gladly pay to be brought to photorealistic levels as well as airports. 

Here is the full list of what cities currently have the photorealistic treatment, you'll notice even some pretty major cities and landmarks are missing.  Asobo and Microsoft know what they are doing and know there is plenty of room to grow and plenty of folks willing to pay for that growth:

https://www.fanbyte.com/guides/a-complete-list-of-all-photorealistic-cities-in-microsoft-flight-simulator-2020/

Yes, you're right. And there is scenery I would pay for. I was alluding to... small "esoteric" scenery packages. The little freeware ORBX airport is nice, but who except someone who lives beside it is going to use it more than two or three times? I've used it two or three times, just to look at it, and I'm done with it.

The point was with the whole world looking so good, and because it looks so good it is tempting to explore, little scenery packages like that fall into the "why bother?" category.

Now if they want to do a super HD Area 51 and then make me a nice fighter jet, well take my money, please. :drink2:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Doing this in sim is cool - and now, it would look super real:

Flying actual IR routes and procedures makes the whole thing super cool.

Especially, when you have interesting places and challenging approaches or departures. Having actual charts helps a lot.

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Anybody else impatiently waiting for a video of Scharfi doing inverted bridge-unders in a 747?

good idea!

I just did all the chillout stuff like

@Bremspropeller

Edit: 

I have tried to fly inverted with the Boeing 747 under the golden gate bridge, but naaaaa the game's hitbox makes it impossible even if you fly normal under it with the 747, not even touching anything with the plane still doesn't work so yeah... fix dis mfs2020! 😒😒😒

image.thumb.png.f2fb794ca007ad7ec005250760f0121c.png

Edited by MeoW.Scharfi
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Does it happen with any bridge, or is it just the GG?

People have been flying under the GG for years. That supposedly includes B-47s :ph34r: