Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

20 hours ago, busdriver said:

One of those, oh that's cool moments. Had changed one of the options to let the sim AI handle ATC patter. Grass strip to grass strip flight, I got airborne and the AI asked for "flight following" from Approach Control. ATC assigned me a discrete squawk of 5601, which appeared on the X Cub's MFD. 10 minutes later I changed the squawk back to the standard VFR 1200 and ATC promptly piped up, "X Cub [blah blah blah] confirm squawking 5601." I changed it back to the assigned squawk.

I need some help the other day I found the page that allowed me to tell the sim my aircraft tail number and radio callsign. Now I can't find that page. Can anybody help by walking me through the sequence of pages I have to select?

It's under ATC Options when you select the plane. 

38 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I've had a few short stutters and one lock up in the loading screen, but other than that the sim runs like a champ on my 60Mbs connection. 

What, pray tell, is a rolling cache?

It's in the data section I think. You can set up a section of disk space so that it downloads the scenery you're flying over regularly. It then doesn't have to redownload that scenery when you fly over it. it's rolling though so as you go over new areas the older ones will be removed.

• Upvote 2

Yes, you can determine how big you want that cache to be and what drive you want to put it on... some people have a rolling cache of 300gb!

3 hours ago, Hoots said:

VR in October. That could be interesting :)

While maybe the  RTX3080 releases for public in October, I can not wait for FS2020 in VR.   

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Hoots said:

It's in the data section I think. You can set up a section of disk space so that it downloads the scenery you're flying over regularly. It then doesn't have to redownload that scenery when you fly over it. it's rolling though so as you go over new areas the older ones will be removed.

Ahh, okay. I did that and set it for 60GB to start. I downloaded some scenery around Whitehorse, took a while and registers (I think) as only 4MB used. 

15 hours ago, Eldur said:

If only this thing ran properly...

- even people with 10900K and 2080tis have reported severe issues and lots of guys there that had butter smooth performance in the alpha and beta, but can't fly now because it literally became utterly unenjoyable.

Weird.  It runs really well on my ancient, overclocked hodgepodge of a system.  The only problem I've noticed lately is when I sit down to fly I fire up the game,  put my trackir cap on and hear this constant whining sound coming from behind my left shoulder......

Took me a while to work out it was my wife ......:) 

• Haha 5

No problems here running on default High settings with my older system equipped with an i7-4790K (good processor for it's time, still holding it's own), 32GB RAM, 1660Ti video card and SSD drive.  Nothing is overclocked, but could always be if I needed to. 

Thing is, after spending years doing more tweaking and tuning than flying with FSX, this time around I decided to not get drawn into fiddling and just stick with the settings that were suggested, and I haven't touched them since.  Just been flying and enjoying it.  Whatever stutters I get from time to time go away soon enough, I remind myself it's better to have a second or two of stutters here or there rather than spend than an hour or two of tuning and fiddling every time I encounter it. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

allright I  bought this game and it did download, and now it like me to select a unit, unit what, and it say I have no such things.

I hate it already 119 $ down the drain . I hate Microsoft

Edited by LukeFF
  • Haha 1

Hoping down the road they add some add-on water planes and then improve the water physics.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

allright I  bought this game and it did download, and now it like me to select a unit, unit what, and it say I have no such things.

I hate it already 119 $ down the drain . I hate Microsoft

Come on now, you've been posting to these forums long enough to know you won't get much help with vague questions like that. What exactly were you asked for, and when (during install? once the game is running?). I certainly wasn't asked for 'a unit', and I'd not seen anyone else complaining about being asked for one.

Edited by LukeFF
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rafale22 said:

So your game folder is located on the (D:) driver et the app and rolling cache (300gb limit) on the (C:) one —> users\name\appdata\local\package, is that right ? 

I am asking ´cause I will probably do that for making the game more smooth 

No, my "Appfolder" is on D:\ , the Installation folder is on E:\. The cachefolder I put on D:\ as it is the larger and faster of the two SSD RAID0 partitions. D:\ is hooked up via Intels VROC, directly on CPU, not via RSTe that goes through the Chipset and very much faster. E:\ is just an array of residual SATA SSD's. A cheap and great solution for games. It is important for SSD to have as large of a partition as possible, this keeps the storage fast. The difference of VROC and RSTe speed for the purpose of a game is negligible though, this is why I put the sim in a lesser used bucket. When it came to the rolling cache file, I just wanted it on a different partition and I generally exclude the SSD where the OS resides.

The Installation is rather makeshift, but it serves the purpose. It would have been nice if MS explained beforehand what goes where.

4 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

What, pray tell, is a rolling cache?

You give your sim a swap file essentially. As you fly around, it will leech (yay, when was the last time i took that expression for that) the scenery from "da coud" and progressively fill that bucket. It will keep the scenery stored until you exceed the "swap file" size, from where on this bucket becomes a FIFO queue.

If your connection is slow, you can preload your area. (If it is fast, you can do it because you can. If you can.) This means, you reserve maybe 4 TB for it, select the region "Canada" with and let the sim leech (yay!) all of that. Once done, you will not need much of an internet connection to fly from Senneterre to Camsell River.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Come on now, you've been posting to these forums long enough to know you won't get much help with vague questions like that. What exactly were you asked for, and when (during install? once the game is running?). I certainly wasn't asked for 'a unit', and I'd not seen anyone else complaining about being asked for one.

You are right. But why dies it need a registered unit like x box. Have I bought a superdelux phentium royale version to use in x box. 
I hesitated buying this because I simply hate the quadrillions of login maneuvers you need to do in MS related software

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

You don't need an XBox. You need a Microsoft XBox Live account, which is used for PC software as well as consoles. Confusing naming, maybe.

I can't think of any modern multiplayer games that don't require some sort of account to register with, so in that regard at least, MS isn't doing anything unusual.

What @AndyJWest said.

Just register a Microsoft Account and if you don't have it already, create an XBox account on first login (it will ask you to do so when you try to download FS 2020 anyway).

Note that from my experience during the pre-release tests, the XBox account creation didn't work in my Chrome Browser (always resulted in some weird error message, #701 IIRC), but doing the same thing in Firefox solved the issue for me.

:drinks:

Mike

It may also be asking you what device to link to your account? In that case just specify your PC.  It does that so you can run the software on other devices linked to your account, if applicable.

3 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Weird.  It runs really well on my ancient, overclocked hodgepodge of a system.  The only problem I've noticed lately is when I sit down to fly I fire up the game,  put my trackir cap on and hear this constant whining sound coming from behind my left shoulder......

Took me a while to work out it was my wife ......:) 

Screenshot taken,  think twice before pulling that trigger next time🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Well I have to aspologize , but there is a reason for me having problems. I am a idiot. Apologize to MS and all other I might have mentioned

• Haha 3

Have you got it downloading and/or installing okay now Luse?

2 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Well I have to aspologize , but there is a reason for me having problems. I am a idiot. Apologize to MS and all other I might have mentioned

I haven't been posting here on this forum as long as others but I've been here long enough to know everyone's behind you.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

No need to apologise, Microsoft seem to make things confusing as a matter of principle, just to show who's really in control. 😉 And then there's the sometimes less than obvious wording in the sim GUI itself, though that's probably down to Asobo being French, and I can think of one or two other applications that have suffered from translation difficulties.

Worth sticking with it though. I seem to have put in 25 hours flight time since Tuesday...

• Thanks 1

Just now, AndyJWest said:

No need to apologise, Microsoft seem to make things confusing as a matter of principle, just to show who's really in control. 😉 And then there's the sometimes less than obvious wording in the sim GUI itself, though that's probably down to Asobo being French, and I can think of one or two other applications that have suffered from translation difficulties.

Worth sticking with it though. I seem to have put in 25 hours flight time since Tuesday...

Absolutely.  There's a definite language barrier issue with the control mapping menus that makes them very non-intuitive. 

A quick tech question about X-Plane if I can violate the FS2020 protocols:

My buddy runs X-Plane on 3 x 1440p screens at low detail and gets 20 - 30 FPS on some kind of 4GB card. What card would run X-plane at high detail across 3 x 1440p screens? Would a 2080 Super do that?

He's thinking of running FS2020 across 3 x 1440p screens and I told him he should sell his car and by a 3090.

15 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

What card would run X-plane at high detail across 3 x 1440p screens?

What frame rates do you consider "playable"? If it's 30 FPS, I suspect that a 2080 could do it without much trouble (although this is just speculation without any test data). Admittedly I haven't payed attention to XP11 performance changes since the recent switch to Vulkan rendering.

Three 1440p displays is 33 percent more pixels than a single 4K display, so the graphics processing requirements aren't completely unreasonable. Benchmarks at 4K resolution are probably a good reference. If 4K runs perfectly with a fairly large margin available, triple 1440p should be fine as well.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

What frame rates do you consider "playable"? If it's 30 FPS, I suspect that a 2080 could do it without much trouble (although this is just speculation without any test data). Admittedly I haven't payed attention to XP11 performance changes since the recent switch to Vulkan rendering.

Three 1440p displays is 33 percent more pixels than a single 4K display, so the graphics processing requirements aren't completely unreasonable. Benchmarks at 4K resolution are probably a good reference. If 4K runs perfectly with a fairly large margin available, triple 1440p should be fine as well.

I think in a civilian flightsim most people are happy with 30 to 40. I have FS2020 running at 30 to 45 and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks for the 4K advice, I'll check youtube and some other forums.

And do you mean a 2080 Super or Ti?

2 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

And do you mean a 2080 Super or Ti?

Regular 2080 with fairly high graphics settings (but definitely not everything at maximum). Again I'd stress that this is just a rough guess as I've never used that exact resolution and I typically ragequit if the FPS counter drops below 60.

I like the "ragequit".  :cool:

My buddy just texted me and said the card also has to run a 1080P touchscreen he uses as a cockpit panel display. He's a super tech-nerd for audio/video production and network stuff, but not so much when it comes to hardware choices.

He wants an X-Plane rig for $2k that will run 3x1440p and 1x1080p at high settings. The only real question is how little GPU $$$ he can get away with.

How on earth did Les Knight manage to place his Lancaster at five hundred metres and ninety degrees onto the dam wall,  sixty feet above the water doing two hundred and forty miles an hour.  At night?:huh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

I like the "ragequit".  :cool:

My buddy just texted me and said the card also has to run a 1080P touchscreen he uses as a cockpit panel display. He's a super tech-nerd for audio/video production and network stuff, but not so much when it comes to hardware choices.

He wants an X-Plane rig for $2k that will run 3x1440p and 1x1080p at high settings. The only real question is how little GPU $$$ he can get away with.

That amount of pixels basically amounts to more than 1.5 4K displays. He might be able to get a GPU for 2k that will run that lol.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

That amount of pixels basically amounts to more than 1.5 4K displays. He might be able to get a GPU for 2k that will run that lol.

I told him he'd need a 3090 to run FS2020 on three screens. For his X-pane at the moment I wondered if a 2080 or 2080 Super would do. 

He refuses to use less than three screens or 1440p res. His detail is pretty low, but his setup is sweet.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

I told him he'd need a 3090 to run FS2020 on three screens. For his X-pane at the moment I wondered if a 2080 or 2080 Super would do. 

He refuses to use less than three screens or 1440p res. His detail is pretty low, but his setup is sweet.

I ran a quick test on a 1440p monitor with X-Plane running at 4434x2498 resolution using 3.0x DSR (equivalent pixel count to three 1440p displays). With all the settings cranked up to max except antialiasing set to OFF, I got averages ranging from around 30 to 70 FPS over a medium-sized European city. Increasing antialiasing caused a significant drop.

GPU was a GTX 1080. Assuming that my DSR method isn't causing strange results, your friend should have a good experience with any equal or better hardware. It seems that X-Plane just isn't very demanding. That said, my game was completely stock with zero addons. I'd still recommend getting the best card that you can afford.

From what I've read, MSFS is an entirely different matter. I wouldn't dare try to run it on this kind of setup. That's my token on-topic statement.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

By the by...

There's two issue for me right now, one of which is not really MS' fault but the other might be.

Issue No.1 is that my trusty rusty GTX 970 died under the stress of running FS 2020. Stuff happens. Timing is less than optimal considering the upcoming 3000 series release, but that's life.

The other issue is with my Saitek X-52 Pro.

I don't remember having had any issues with it in earlier tests, but now with the current release version of FS 2020, the only way to get the X-52 Pro to be recognized is:

• Start FS 2020 with the X-52 Pro unplugged.
  • Click Options -> Controls.
  • Plug in the X-52 Pro.
  • Accept default settings.
  • Save settings and play the game.

This works, but it's to be done each time I start the game.

If I start the game with the X-52 Pro plugged in, the controller will be detected but with no controls assigned.

If I plug in the X-52 Pro outside the "Controls" menu, the game will crash to desktop.

:drinks:

Mike

Edited by LukeFF

Posted (edited)

I have downloaded and Installed the whole bunch of it. Installation allows you to go have lunch and come back until it is done (See on youtube Jayztwocent clip on this). But this happens only once. I am a former pilot and stunt pilot (I stopped flying, now) and so I had high expectations.

It is really a full simulator, that can be used for true pilot training. The only limitations are the g force sensations, let's say the physical stuff. Beside that if you have big enough screens you are in the plane.

I use the Thrustmaster Warthog complete setup with pendular rudder pedals. I appreciated a lot that the software recognized the three peripherals and mapped everything correctly, axis and buttons. The default setup is perfectly usable and you can program additional stuff for specific planes. At this point no need to use the Thrustmaster software (a complete project by itself) to program the peripherals.

I tested it in Ultra-Mega-Max-Super mode at full 4K display, 42 inch monitor and.......WOW!

The 9900KS at 5Ghz flat, 64GB fast DDR4, 2080Ti I have is the bare minimum I would say to be fluid. I have not checked the FPS yet.

With the upcoming Ampere RTX 3090 it should do fine 🙂 

My NVMe SSD is a little short and I will probably change it to be able to have a fast cache set a 250 GB.

Small glitches here and there, but it is graphically awesome. I did not experiment stutters as such, but you may get a single stutter here and there due to data download. My cache is very small at the moment 8 GB, so this may be the reason. You really get what was in the trailers. I was doubting, we would get the marketing quality ingame, but you have it.

Sure you need to play it with all the bell and whistles to have that quality, but if your system can handle it you get whet they used to tease us.

Frankly this game is made for the future hardware CPU/GPU generations, and that is fine with me, because it means it will have fifteen year lifetime at least, and make creating extension packs really worth, but the work to do so may stand at a level were only professional teams could do it.

Visually speaking besides VR, we are nearly photorealistic here. The meteorology, clouds, rain etc. are also visually awesome.

The future will be more on details, animations in airports, on the sea, in the cities etc. 

Graphically speaking it sets a new standard from my point of view. As usual we will get used to it and after a few months we may now expect this level of quality everywhere. That will be a challenge for IL2.

What I am missing here is that there is no simulation of crashes, fires, damages on the plane and environment, etc. This is completely missing. IL2 does much better on that. 

When an engine is on fire you have the information and impact of flight characteristics, but visually nothing happens. I did not test all planes but it seems this is totally missing. When you land in the sea, no splash no water spray. When you fly a hydroplane and take off on the water, there is just nothing, like if there was no water. A lot of improvements to do here.

I hope all this comes in a future update.

Edited by IckyATLAS

5 hours ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

I ran a quick test on a 1440p monitor with X-Plane running at 4434x2498 resolution using 3.0x DSR (equivalent pixel count to three 1440p displays). With all the settings cranked up to max except antialiasing set to OFF, I got averages ranging from around 30 to 70 FPS over a medium-sized European city. Increasing antialiasing caused a significant drop.

GPU was a GTX 1080. Assuming that my DSR method isn't causing strange results, your friend should have a good experience with any equal or better hardware. It seems that X-Plane just isn't very demanding. That said, my game was completely stock with zero addons. I'd still recommend getting the best card that you can afford.

From what I've read, MSFS is an entirely different matter. I wouldn't dare try to run it on this kind of setup. That's my token on-topic statement.

That was great. Thank you. I'll pass it along. :drinks:

I tried DSR on FS2020 and it looked terrible and ran like a dog. In DCS, DSR makes the screen bigger than my monitor and I can't even get to the interface. In IL2 it works perfectly and looks great with a simulated 1440p.

I have a 2060 Super but I'm thinking 1080p is where I should stay with FS2020. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Have you got it downloading and/or installing okay now Luse?

I had it going with 27 boxes saying game already started behind crome  😳

took me 4 hours to cool off and 1 just figuring out it was already started

28 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I had it going with 27 boxes saying game already started behind crome  😳

took me 4 hours to cool off and 1 just figuring out it was already started

I suggest beer. 

Posted (edited)

My initial impression is beautiful scenery. But my home turf is not replicated at all. 
correct placing on some house sizes but not correct houses. Bridges is like x plane roads the same. Or even worse , they look like farm land. But map is quite impressive. 
I guess I live on a non essential part of the world. I like the cub but some other pits is 13 on dousin. 
Another thing keeping me hesitating is these control settings. 
I found many of my sliders on throttle to be tired and need change. I think however FM seem good enough to fool me

3 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I suggest beer. 

Took a few in the cooling process 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

What I am missing here is that there is no simulation of crashes, fires, damages on the plane and environment, etc.

This fact alone makes it (to me) seem like ... an arcade game with not a lot interaction with the environment because ... there even seems to be no true 3D environment on the surface at all besides the hand made / created airports !?

This does not bode well if warplanes are introduced for this title, not even (civilian or other) helicopters would be a great match because this becomes most obvious down low  !  

Everyone is hyping this as a "next-gen sim" and purely visually speaking I don't doubt that at all, but otherwise ??? 

Edited by simfan2015

11 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

How on earth did Les Knight manage to place his Lancaster at five hundred metres and ninety degrees onto the dam wall,  sixty feet above the water doing two hundred and forty miles an hour.  At night?:huh:

Because he had several pints of Carling Black Label before going in... everyone knows that, gen up!