Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

Took a flight around the pyramids in Egypt, landed and taxied around all the structures including the Sphinx .

Then flew around the Turks and Caicos islands and landed my Icon A5 in the water.  

Go to Google map, type in where you want to go and then input the lat/long into Msfs 2020 and off you go on your magic carpet.

• Upvote 1

Took off from Barrow for a flight around the lakes.  Oh my goodness!!!:biggrin:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Took off from Barrow for a flight around the lakes.  Oh my goodness!!!:biggrin:

Yup. MSFS eye-candy at its best. Though if you are flying 'around' the lakes, rather than onto them, you've taken the wrong aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Hope they sort out landing in water... with all the great visual improvements they have made, landing in the sea or on a large lake should be a much more believable looking experience, plus it just feels like landing on a normal airfield... no bumps, no spray, nothing!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dutch2 said:

Some benchmarks in the flat-world made by Guru3d and HardwareUnboxed, I’m afraid without an magical trick, VR could be a bit troublesome in maintaining 90FPS  https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/microsoft-flight-simulator-(2020)-pc-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,1.html  and

I saw that. It's good but a bit scary.

According to his tests I can do 1080p Ultra at about 40FPS, and at 1440p Ultra it drop to 31. Was considering a 1440p screen, but I think I'll stay at 1080p.

I'm between High and Ultra now and it's mostly 35 to 45 and it looks great!

Besides gliders, I really miss the ultralight

• Upvote 1

Oooops!  I appear to have changed a setting and now I've 'lost' the escape button!:dance:

If I want to end a flight it's Ctrl Alt Delete time:(

2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Oooops!  I appear to have changed a setting and now I've 'lost' the escape button!:dance:

If I want to end a flight it's Ctrl Alt Delete time:(

Select "Reset to Default" for the keyboard

3 hours ago, fiddlinjim said:

Select "Reset to Default" for the keyboard

Ah...of course!👍

9 hours ago, tiger_0988 said:

Yeah, this version of the sim is begging for some sailplanes and ultralights and helos for that matter!  Hopefully they'll come soon. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, tiger_0988 said:

Gliders for sure, thats a real disappointment by Microsoft given the vast weather and VFR improvements made, but more euro-ULs? We already have the Virus and CTLS.

A couple of real classics (DHC 2 Beaver, DH Tiger Moth, PT-17 Stearman (was in MS Flight!), DC-3, Beechcraft 18 ect.) would have fit very well. Hopefully some 3rd parties will utilise this gap in the planeset to deliver some nice high fidelity aircraft in future.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It is for sure that there are several DLCs planned. I wouldn't be surprised if they deliver some kind of vintage aircraft dlc. 

The moder general aviation stuff is nice but I need those old steaming machines with heart, soul and character. 

6 hours ago, 6./ZG26_5tuka said:

...DC-3...

💘Instant buy, if anyone comes up with a decent model.

As for gliders, I was doing a bit of ridge-lift testing in MSFS, on Mt Timpanogos: part of the range to the east of Salt Lake City, a favourite gliding spot of mine in X-Plane. There seems to be something there, close in, though I'd not really chosen the best plane to investigate: the Zlin Shock Ultra flies nice and slow, but sinks like a stone at idle. And I wasn't really sure what the wind speed was, since it has no GPS to give a groundspeed readout, and I've not really figured out custom weather settings. Plus, I was getting bounced all over the place, as the minimum turbulence seems to be set rather high currently, making trying to make sense of the variometer difficult. I could only really conclude that there is probably some sort of lift, but whether it is consistent and strong enough to ridge-soar needs a better test. And as far as I'm aware, they haven't said anything about thermals being modelled. Gliders will almost certainly come, but it may need Asobo to sort things out at their end first. Not just for thermals, but towing and winching too.

I complained about the lack of railways in Bodenplatte's version of Amsterdam Central Station,

386869232_AmsterdamCS.thumb.jpg.04dc8803205ff61d6cacd45928ead807.jpg

but MSFS2020 is not doing so much better... :biggrin:

1807866973_AmsterdamCentralStation.thumb.jpg.d2821285168a2509c8fc87273f6da5fc.jpg

4 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Give it time. ;)

I don't share your optimism there....

Anyway, a few vids of myself tooling around,

1 minute ago, DD_fruitbat said:

I don't share your optimism there....

Not so much optimism as inevitability maybe.

Some techno-dude out there with programming skills and a desire to make some cash could well make a mod that makes things go "Kaboom!" Or MS themselves could take pieces of the scenery and make them "Kaboom!" interactive and call it CFS5 or whatever.

Just now, CanadaOne said:

Give it time. ;)

Yes indeed. Let's hope so.

I have not (yet) purchased MSFS2020 but on YouTube I happened to see certain eyecatching buildings missing in the center of Amsterdam.

But the same counts for other cities I suppose. A lot to correct for the dev team.

On the other hand there is a lot to enjoy in the game.

2 minutes ago, Uufflakke said:

Yes indeed. Let's hope so.

I have not (yet) purchased MSFS2020 but on YouTube I happened to see certain eyecatching buildings missing in the center of Amsterdam.

But the same counts for other cities I suppose. A lot to correct for the dev team.

On the other hand there is a lot to enjoy in the game.

You will buy it. It's inevitable. :o: "You are getting sleepy... sleeeeeepy...."

There are things missing and other things that are there but shouldn't be, but when you take off from a big airport and see the city grow beneath you in stupendous eye-candy glory, you will be hooked. It's just stupid how good the scenery looks when you're flying around.

• Upvote 2

One of those, oh that's cool moments. Had changed one of the options to let the sim AI handle ATC patter. Grass strip to grass strip flight, I got airborne and the AI asked for "flight following" from Approach Control. ATC assigned me a discrete squawk of 5601, which appeared on the X Cub's MFD. 10 minutes later I changed the squawk back to the standard VFR 1200 and ATC promptly piped up, "X Cub [blah blah blah] confirm squawking 5601." I changed it back to the assigned squawk.

I need some help the other day I found the page that allowed me to tell the sim my aircraft tail number and radio callsign. Now I can't find that page. Can anybody help by walking me through the sequence of pages I have to select?

It is absolutely stunning what ASOBO delivered so far. Just took another flight with the Robin DR400 (a plane I am familiar with) and took a flight in todays questionable weather across the Alps from LSZT in eastern Switzerland across the Alps to Samedan (LSZS). Just going like that with a minimum of fuel to get as much climb as possible... and did just everything it normaly takes to make for dead pilots. I had to try 5 times to cross the Flüela pass at 7818 ft. Making the last exit possible was good for some sweats, turning way right over the trees on stall warning, finally making the pass below roof top heigth of the restaurant on the pass, arriving on fumes, having had considerably longer flight than planned. Notably, it was the weather and local wind currents that made it the experience it was. All anong the way, I flew along ridges where I expected certain up or down drafts at the current wind direction, and what I got was extremely plausble. Just wow. And all the landmarks are there.

There's some little things left (and some larger) to rectify... but.. this is a leap forward. In ultra setting and 1440p, I get a steady 30 FPS and all butter smooth, being capped mainly by the GF1080.

Finally a sim that has an atmosphere, planes that are moved by air currents. Not just rocking more or less. No comparison to FSX/P3D/XP.

Amazing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

It is absolutely stunning what ASOBO delivered so far.

I love the sound of rain on the windscreen and wings...and the way the rivulets of water streak.:good:

• Like 1

Anyone looking for a highly unpleasant flight experience in MSFS should repeat my latest flight. I decided to have another look at whether ridge lift was modelled, this time using the Pipistrel Virus, so I could use the GPS to check wind speed and direction. Same place, Mt Timpanogos, Utah, with a 30 kt wind from the WSW. I trimmed the Virus for about 60-65 kts, flap one setting, and then played around with the throttle to hold level altitude at that speed, while probing the side of the mountain for lift. There seemed to be some there at the top at least (as there should be, considering the wind), but the level of turbulence was horrendous, making any sort of accurate flying impossible. And there doesn't seem to be any means to turn it down enough to make for a sensible conclusion. Needs a proper glider. With a total energy compensating variometer. And a way to reduce the chucking-about feature to tolerable levels. I'm just glad I wasn't doing it in VR...

1 hour ago, busdriver said:

I need some help the other day I found the page that allowed me to tell the sim my aircraft tail number and radio callsign. Now I can't find that page. Can anybody help by walking me through the sequence of pages I have to select?

Go to the world map, select your aircraft, and then you will see an ATC tab... you can then select your call sign and tail number.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

And there doesn't seem to be any means to turn it down enough to make for a sensible conclusion.

Thats a lot of wind for a slow AC. I'be prepared for a lot in these conditions. But in general, I feel the "shake" in simulators is vastly overdone, as on screen, one doesn't perceive the shaking as much as you would in the aircraft. It is really bad in FSX, where common weather at times can make the autopilot in the Cessna to disengage.

I think the developpers are on a learning curve here, especially as VR clearly changes how player perceive flight.

Posted (edited)

Interview with the Head of Microsoft Flight Simulator.  There is some exciting things coming, can't wait!

Edited by DBFlyguy
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, DBFlyguy said:

Interview with the Head of Microsoft Flight Simulator.  There is some exciting things coming, can't wait!

Cool! Gonna listen to that after dinner. 

Thanks.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, DBFlyguy said:

The interview with Jorg starts at 29.16... if you want to cut out all the garbage at the start!

Edited by Trooper117

If only this thing ran properly... I can fly DCS in VR with lighting and shadows which is a thing already. But then MS entered the chat:

Microsoft Flight Simulator 22.08.2020 15_28_57.jpg

Low-End settings, a fourth of my screen's native res, no live weather or traffic, not even AI, almost "empty" landscape and the performance is just abysmal, with very obvious stutters of up to like 5 seconds. Seriously flawed. And I'm not alone... https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/dreadful-performance/130689 - even people with 10900K and 2080tis have reported severe issues and lots of guys there that had butter smooth performance in the alpha and beta, but can't fly now because it literally became utterly unenjoyable.

Oh, and, of course: No FFB support... shame on you, MS/Asobo! luna-trcv.png

But the bad experiences aside, what I saw (and heard) so far blew me away. Finally VFR is possible in a GA sim without spending thousands of bucks on addon scenery. And that all across the world. And I guess I don't need to talk about the weather... that's literally gold standard. The bar has risen even higher and both ED and 777 really need to catch up lots.

VR in October. That could be interesting :)

10 hours ago, Eldur said:

If only this thing ran properly... I can fly DCS in VR with lighting and shadows which is a thing already. But then MS entered the chat:

Microsoft Flight Simulator 22.08.2020 15_28_57.jpg

Low-End settings, a fourth of my screen's native res, no live weather or traffic, not even AI, almost "empty" landscape and the performance is just abysmal, with very obvious stutters of up to like 5 seconds. Seriously flawed. And I'm not alone... https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/dreadful-performance/130689 - even people with 10900K and 2080tis have reported severe issues and lots of guys there that had butter smooth performance in the alpha and beta, but can't fly now because it literally became utterly unenjoyable.

Oh, and, of course: No FFB support... shame on you, MS/Asobo! luna-trcv.png

But the bad experiences aside, what I saw (and heard) so far blew me away. Finally VFR is possible in a GA sim without spending thousands of bucks on addon scenery. And that all across the world. And I guess I don't need to talk about the weather... that's literally gold standard. The bar has risen even higher and both ED and 777 really need to catch up lots.

Could be something to do with streaming data and servers being overloaded. 

Much less players in beta, servers ran better I imagine.

I cached whole of Rome in high details and had from 70 to 50 fps depending on altitude above the city.

That's on Ultra settings , 1080p. I have i7 9700k at 4.6 ghz and RTX2080ti.

There are stutters in areas that are not cached but overall I can live with some stutters in a game that renders that many objects.

There is obviously room for improvement but still this is the most impressive software I have seen in a while.

If only this was a combat sim. 

https://youtu.be/eZF--T_T8oc

Not only ground but also clouds are on another level.

11 hours ago, Eldur said:

Low-End settings, a fourth of my screen's native res, no live weather or traffic, not even AI, almost "empty" landscape and the performance is just abysmal, with very obvious stutters of up to like 5 seconds.

These sound like the dreaded FSX scenery stutters to me. Depending on scenery addon, I‘d get them after flying some distance and new area is loaded or it can happen (especially in ORBX sceneries) at certain points. Like the rinway threshold in Biggin Hill. Approach from the north and you get a two second or so freeze, you fly over the runway from south, nothing happens. When it happens, I can always see CPU spiking to 100% on all cores.

I never had such in FS20, the (maybe two) stutters I noticed so far were fraction of a second. I have fast fiber internet plus I set the rolling cache to 300 GB, residing on a different partition of striped SDDs.

41 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

I have fast fiber internet plus I set the rolling cache to 300 GB, residing on a different partition of striped SDDs.

So your game folder is located on the (D:) driver et the app and rolling cache (300gb limit) on the (C:) one —> users\name\appdata\local\package, is that right ? 

I am asking ´cause I will probably do that for making the game more smooth 

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

These sound like the dreaded FSX scenery stutters to me. Depending on scenery addon, I‘d get them after flying some distance and new area is loaded or it can happen (especially in ORBX sceneries) at certain points. Like the rinway threshold in Biggin Hill. Approach from the north and you get a two second or so freeze, you fly over the runway from south, nothing happens. When it happens, I can always see CPU spiking to 100% on all cores.

I never had such in FS20, the (maybe two) stutters I noticed so far were fraction of a second. I have fast fiber internet plus I set the rolling cache to 300 GB, residing on a different partition of striped SDDs.

I've had a few short stutters and one lock up in the loading screen, but other than that the sim runs like a champ on my 60Mbs connection. 

What, pray tell, is a rolling cache?