Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

3 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Looking forward to a CFS4...

I've been digging through the games files and there are some remnants of FS2004 and... cfs2? (there is also F-18 textures)

FX_3.png.e81c3caa8555d0c984674140cf187e52.png

Posted (edited)

Wow, so many incredibly nice vids and screenshots  !

MS FS 2020 looks to good not to get it after all 😉

But I also would would surely love (as other people here have shared) to see some ... military planes in it !

Edited by simfan2015

How's your weekly landing challenge scores chaps? I scored 2042nd in the world today, (about 1,333,000 pts). That's my high water mark so far.

Open world started crashing to desktop after a few minutes of flying so I'm back to troubleshooting. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

😍

The Savage Cub is now my favourite plane! Go to Alaska (Lawrence Airstrip I think) with some online friends and just cruise around and look out for small dirt strips to land on. They are everywhere!

Edited by SYN_Vander
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Dammit, I fix my CTD probs and now my controllers don't respond in the 3d world, they work fine in the config menu but not on the plane. What a gong show. Typical Microsoft bullshit circus.

I might just go buy "Sand 1941, Perforated Radiator Edition" and play that until this nonsense sorts itself out.

Edited by Ace_Pilto

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I do hope also if being in VR.  😎

Edited by Dutch2

6 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I wonder.....

As far as the living enviroment is concerned Microsoft have just jumped from horsepower to brake horsepower with this thing.  Impossible to give a time scale but adding 'kersplosions and P51's can't be too far in the future.

Give me European Air War 2.0 pls

• Upvote 1

I was wondering if combat sim would be possible in the new engine.

As far as the ground details go, skybox, weather and clouds etc. Flight Sim 2020 is unmatched but there is a long way to add combat.

Currently there is no visual damage model at all in the sim.

Make a tight turn and suddenly screen goes black and there is a message that you overstressed the frame.

If they managed to do modern jets or even cold war era stuff and have it in decent detail it would finish DCS off.

Until I see actual evidence that Microsoft are considering making an air combat sim, I'm going to assume it isn't going to happen. It isn't really obvious why MS got back into flight sims at all, since any potential profits are likely to be peanuts compared to their overall turnover. Which makes me think they were more interested in finding out what the AI-mapping technology could do than in getting back into the broader entertainment simulation market. Diversification to find out the limits of new tech makes sense, going on to reuse the same tech in a niche product that won't tell you anything new probably doesn't. I'm not sure that any sort of combat simulation would really fit in with their current corporate-image-building strategies either. 

And even if Microsoft were to make an air combat sim, there's no guarantee it would be any good.

• Upvote 1

Having flown the Pitts Special around a bit I'd say the model is up to it. That thing is dangerous.

Posted (edited)

Even with very fast internet, I get 200mbps, it took 2 hours to install completely 😬

But that’s about what I expected. 

It didn’t recognize my CH gear, which is fine because I wouldn’t like and auto assigning since I prefer to set that up myself. But the system is unbelievably clunky, you have to actually write down all the button #s and enter them manually, it doesn’t just recognize them like every other game in the world does. That’s odd. 

Performance is... wow.... I get 30fps on any setting, Low to Ultra, capped by my CPU. And it’s using all 8 cores on the i7

I haven’t actually flown anything in it yet, I just keep playing with graphics and gawking at stuff 

The aircraft really need to get more hardcore for me, like they will when the payware planes are available. In the A320 when you shut off the engines and the APU the power still stays on 🙄

Edited by SharpeXB

5 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Even with very fast internet, I get 200mbps, it took 2 hours to install completely 😬

It didn’t recognize my CH gear, which is fine because I wouldn’t like and auto assigning since I prefer to set that up myself. But the system is unbelievably clunky, you have to actually write down all the button #s and enter them manually, it doesn’t just recognize them like every other game in the world does. That’s odd. 

Performance is... wow.... I get 30fps on any setting, Low to Ultra, capped by my CPU. And it’s using all 8 cores on the i7

Well, I think you have to do some tweaking / adjustments because there are people with similar or even lower system specifications than you have and

they run the MS simulator with good performance results (and definitely not on low settings). I wouldn't give up to fast.

8 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

There's a lot of comments on the forums about this. Seems it was something introduced for the release as no one had the issues in testing. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, THERION said:

Well, I think you have to do some tweaking / adjustments because there are people with similar or even lower system specifications than you have and

they run the MS simulator with good performance results (and definitely not on low settings). I wouldn't give up to fast.

Well again I can select the Low preset and still be CPU capped at about 30 FPS (Parked at CDG in the A320, worst case)

The developer tool FPS counter is great because it will tell you what’s limiting your performance. 
But the only setting for me that makes any difference are the two sliders for Terrain and Object level of detail. Anything else I can just set to Ultra. Although the 2080Ti is chugging along at 99%

Those sliders, between 10-100 = 30 FPS and only at 200 = about 20fps. 
Unless the game can use more than 8 cores? Even a top of the line 10700K is only going to boost that by about 30% meaning 9fps. Not too encouraging. 
30 FPS actually feels ok in a civy sim. It’s not combat with quick head turning etc. And in a less demanding situation I’ll get up to 40

I didn’t really expect anything different, just look at those graphics...

But I can see why this launched without VR. That’s just not going to work in this unless something radical changes. I know DX12 is planned, don’t know what sort of improvement that might bring. 

Edited by SharpeXB

10 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

After seeing how beautiful MSFS2020 is currently and will only improve as time goes on, Yes Please! If there was a Combat Flight Sim 4 that even hinted at modern day stuff, I'd dump DCS and their perpetual "never to be finished early access" BS in a heart beat! 

Fingers crossed it actually happens!

1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

Until I see actual evidence that Microsoft are considering making an air combat sim, I'm going to assume it isn't going to happen. It isn't really obvious why MS got back into flight sims at all, since any potential profits are likely to be peanuts compared to their overall turnover. Which makes me think they were more interested in finding out what the AI-mapping technology could do than in getting back into the broader entertainment simulation market. Diversification to find out the limits of new tech makes sense, going on to reuse the same tech in a niche product that won't tell you anything new probably doesn't. I'm not sure that any sort of combat simulation would really fit in with their current corporate-image-building strategies either. 

And even if Microsoft were to make an air combat sim, there's no guarantee it would be any good.

Honestly, it looks to be a technology demonstrator for the streaming terrain data and on the fly (pun intended) rendering. Look for that to be marketed to gaming companies, analysis firms, AR stuff, etc. 

I suspect people have been internally and externally pitching a new MSFS for years and they finally found the business case for it. Any money they make on the game is gravy, the real moneymaker is the hype generated from all the people posting videos to YouTube about how amazing the dynamic weather/streaming tech/ graphics imagery is. Look for them to either license this tech or use it to roll out their own solutions for like Bing Maps AR mode or VR visualization for development sites and stuff.

I don't see it leading to a CFS, at least not one in WWII era, since the tech is almost entirely built around  a modern landscape.  With Microsoft so committed to the Xbox platform I imagine any combat-oriented game is going to need to be possible on consoles as well as PCs to reach their target market.

• Upvote 2

The terrain model for FS2020 is based off Bing maps and uses AI to assist in rendering terrain. Any WW2 based combat sim would need accurate WW2 maps to render off the current engine. The world was far different back then. They would have to research and build maps as the world was back then. They would then also have to store on servers for on the fly rendering.

A modern day combat sim? That might be opening a can of worms especially in today's climate. Can you imaging what some people might say of they knew they were being targeted by smart bombs on accurate maps rendered by Bing?

Oops...

https://www.engadget.com/flight-simulator-open-street-map-building-205545509.html

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tiger_0988 said:

A modern day combat sim? That might be opening a can of worms especially in today's climate. Can you imaging what some people might say of they knew they were being targeted by smart bombs on accurate maps rendered by Bing?

I highly doubt that'd be an issue.  DCS literally just released a map where folks could gleefully bomb pretty accurate depictions of Syria, Israel, Palestine and Lebanon.  If that didn't trigger folks, nothing will.  It is also just a game anyway.

9 minutes ago, DBFlyguy said:

I highly doubt that'd be an issue.  DCS literally just released a map where folks could gleefully bomb pretty accurate depictions of Syria, Israel, Palestine and Lebanon.  If that didn't trigger folks, nothing will.  It is also just a game anyway.

DCS is one thing. Microsoft is another. They already had an issue with their employees when they had military contracts. 

DCS doesn’t have the extent of business with as many countries that Microsoft does. 

I don’t think we’ll see them go that route.

• Upvote 1

In my point of view, 
First : Why did MS engage in a sim again?

They put a great deal of money into it. 
Clearly high ambitions, would they endeavor in a even narrower niche product?

No, is my answer, but I hope so. I loved the two first they made. A nice brake from IL 2 

Still I wonder will they earn money on this 2020 thing. 

Posted (edited)

There are currently at this moment over 23K people watching FS2020 twitch streams.  By comparison, there are only 309 people watching DCS twitch streams, only 805 people watching War Thunder Streams, only 196 people watching Xplane 11 (RIP 🤣

If Microsoft plays their cards right over the next few months, they landed themselves in a gold mine.  I really don't think folks really understand what Microsoft has done with this product.  I've had numerous folks that aren't even into flight sims ask me about FS2020 this week, I literally just got a FS2020 meme texted to me this morning by someone who has never played a flight sim game in his life.  This release is BIG for not only the flightsimming hobby but for gaming in general. 

If Microsoft decides to go into the air combat sim sub-genre, it will be huge.  Like Ace Combat popular huge.

Edited by DBFlyguy
  • Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

In my point of view, 

Clearly high ambitions, would they endeavor in a even narrower niche product?

No, is my answer, but I hope so. I loved the two first they made. A nice brake from IL 2 

Still I wonder will they earn money on this 2020 thing. 

I’m surprised too they got back in the Flight Sim business. When they disbanded the FS group I thought that was it. I even have some pristine FSX copies I bought to collect.

I doubt they are going to make money and compared to the rest of their business it’s peanuts.

What I think they are doing is mining all the data. Most people never bother reading the fine print, but you basically sign away all rights when you bit that Agree button.

Data is money these days and you can be sure they are gathering all the data, storing it and using it in some way.

24 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

In my point of view, 

MS Flightsim 2020 is a showcase for the capabilities of their cloudservice Azure, that is the whole reason they did this. They plan to put Amazon cloud and Google cloud to shame with it.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/08/17/meet-the-startup-that-helped-microsoft-build-the-world-of-flight-simulator/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAADd2onXP0aptr72qJCQqg4pc0uab02aLYTsc7kXwJGtGfEB1vlz1_7PeavdJ6_4hlD7rTbmpw-p83fr3bOcVLRGiWfaPP7KQE0LSqKx8aEXfwlAz_Zyv2nGVNDuUUjNRvqaMvyD0pt55c7_bgB2VEwzlVGkcsVxzTC7T7JsxpomJ

45 minutes ago, sevenless said:

MS Flightsim 2020 is a showcase for the capabilities of their cloudservice Azure, that is the whole reason they did this. They plan to put Amazon cloud and Google cloud to shame with it.

Aahhh. Finally I get it   
thanks I really did wonder about it

Posted (edited)

Just made and flown a flight plan from Andreas Airfield on the Isle of Man, to Mount Rule grass airstrip and then onto Ronaldsway Airport... on route I flew past my sisters house outside Andreas. I have to admit it was a pretty accurate depiction. I could locate the A17 road she lives on and the scenery around the house was pretty accurate.

At 2 oclock from the Cessna's wheel you can see the barn and stable block set back off the road. The paddock and field layout is 100% accurate around the barn area, with the cottage set on the road side... I am very impressed.

sisters-house-IOM.jpg

This pic as you can see is on the approach to Mount rule strip... the island is accurately laid out for the most part, and if you do go astray off your route you can request headings etc to get back on track... this flight sim is absolutely what I was looking for to get back into civilian flying.

Another neat little trick is that you can give yourself a call sign, and air traffic will call you by it... It's good to hear them call me up as ''Trooper 117'' and give me instructions. You can put your own aircraft code on too, mine as you can see from the cockpit pic is TRP-117  :)

Mount-Rule-farm-airstrip-IOM.jpg

Edited by Trooper117
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DBFlyguy said:

After seeing how beautiful MSFS2020 is currently and will only improve as time goes on, Yes Please! If there was a Combat Flight Sim 4 that even hinted at modern day stuff, I'd dump DCS and their perpetual "never to be finished early access" BS in a heart beat! 

Fingers crossed it actually happens!

Yeah that certainly would be very interesting.

My first flight simulator was Microsoft Flight Simulator running on an Apple II in the mid 1970's. You could fly a stick figure airplane on a small monochrome monitor after loading the program into the Apple's 64K memory using a real floppy disk just like people did with real computers!   State of the art for its' time.

Everything I have learned about personal computers since then allowed me to purchase and download Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2020, barely. Now with 45 years experience, I am faced with learning a new program in which I cannot even define what some of the keyboard commands are supposed to accomplish!

To that end, I am providing a complete listing of those keyboard commands.

I sincerely hope the community will find these files to be useful and if you have something to share, please post in this topic.

:gamer:

MS Flight Simulator 2020 Default Keyboard Commands.zip

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

Just made and flown a flight plan from Andreas Airfield on the Isle of Man, to Mount Rule grass airstrip and then onto Ronaldsway Airport... on route I flew past my sisters house outside Andreas. I have to admit it was a pretty accurate depiction. I could locate the A17 road she lives on and the scenery around the house was pretty accurate.

At 2 oclock from the Cessna's wheel you can see the barn and stable block set back off the road. The paddock and field layout is 100% accurate around the barn area, with the cottage set on the road side... I am very impressed.

sisters-house-IOM.jpg

This pic as you can see is on the approach to Mount rule strip... the island is accurately laid out for the most part, and if you do go astray off your route you can request headings etc to get back on track... this flight sim is absolutely what I was looking for to get back into civilian flying.

Another neat little trick is that you can give yourself a call sign, and air traffic will call you by it... It's good to hear them call me up as ''Trooper 117'' and give me instructions. You can put your own aircraft code on too, mine as you can see from the cockpit pic is TRP-117  :)

Mount-Rule-farm-airstrip-IOM.jpg

Did FS2020 give you an avatar name? I have something along the lines of SpringSix3243 on the top right of my options screen and I'm wondering if that's what the game calls me.

On another note, my buddy, who has a three 27" screen + Stream deck + iPad + 17" touch screen setup for XPlane, loaded up FS2020 at 1440p across the three monitors and is getting about 5 to 10 FPS around Montreal. He's running a six-core i5 and some 4GB video card that come in a Mac desktop. 

I think he's sticking with X-plane. 

17 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Did FS2020 give you an avatar name? I have something along the lines of SpringSix3243 on the top right of my options screen and I'm wondering if that's what the game calls me.

The game calls you by the default code on your aircraft, but you can change that code by going into the ATC tab when you are in the world map planning your route and choosing your aircraft and weather etc...

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

The game calls you by the default code on your aircraft, but you can change that code by going into the ATC tab when you are in the world map planning your route and choosing your aircraft and weather etc...

Ahhh, cool!

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Just a guess but my theory is they rushed release so it will be ready as a launch title for xbox series x, with microsoft losing halo as a launch title they'll need all the software they can get. If that's true sales will explode when it launches on console.

Googled xbox series x one of the top articles .https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2020/08/21/is-microsoft-flight-simulator-coming-to-xbox-one-or-xbox-series-x/

Oh yeah and it's only a matter of time until cfs4.  :good:

Edited by Tycoon

Posted (edited)

I read before FS2020 was out that the Xbox version might be more suited to the next gen consoles that are due out end of year or there abouts. I'm not a console expert by any means. I recently got an XBOX 1X mainly to play Madden 20. I do have a few other title I don't really play and notice the 1TB hard drive tends to fill up fast, you can always attach an external drive though. Replacing components like CPU and graphics cards would be problematical on a console.

I always thought flight sims was genre more suited to the PC platform, but I am curious to see how Microsoft pulls off the console version of FS 2020. I'll probably try it out just to compare.

cfs4? I think hell freezes over first. I would love to be wrong, but I don't see that in the cards. Doesn't mean someone else who see FS2020 and decided to give it a crack. Maybe they can team up with google maps. I wonder if at some point big brother-the government chimes in and questions the potential security risk of all this high realism. There is a sim Command Modern/Air Naval Operations that has 2 versions. One for civilians and the other for just the military and other select government entities. TacView which integrates with Command doesn't allow AARs on the civilian version. There has been speculation as to why that is. 

I listened to an interview with the creator of DCS-he as an analyst for the CIA before starting DCS and he mentioned that he was contacted by the government and told to tone some things down in DCS.

Edited by tiger_0988

CFS4 pfff ....  too hard to challenge IL2. this is all leading to a reboot of Crimson Skies. ;)  About time too. Zeppelins yeah! 

Hells yeah, all for a new crimson skies 

Has anyone tried the Lukla landing challenge? The icing effects on windshield is amazing and the landing strip is blocked by clouds at the run in.

I stalled out and hit the ground right in front on the strip. Though I died but bounced onto the landing strip. 

2 points.

48 minutes ago, tiger_0988 said:

...The icing effects on windshield is amazing...

Yeah, as I've just found out. I picked a random airport - Trazbon, on the northern Turkish coast - and went to explore. A series of valleys heading south from the coastline looked promising, though I'd not bothered to do anything fancy like looking at a map first. The Black Sea is off to my right here. Very pretty.

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-08-22-00-07-41-5

As the terrain gets higher, I check out the in-game map. If I can get over this ridgeline, there is another route back to the coast. Better than doubling back.
Desktop-Screenshot-2020-08-22-00-18-27-7

Oops, shouldn't have flown through that cloud. And should probably have set the air temperature for something a bit more realistic for Turkey. I'd got 15° C at sea level - which made it below freezing at this height. The plane seems to still fly ok, though, so as long as I don't hit anything, I'll be fine. I press on over the ridge.
Desktop-Screenshot-2020-08-22-00-19-29-5

Coming back down the valley on the other side, peering through the frost. It took a bit of time to clear, but no harm done, and a lesson learned. Aircraft have an OAT gauge for a reason. 
Desktop-Screenshot-2020-08-22-00-30-12-0

• Upvote 1

I was just flying around Toronto and then around Las Vegas and Holy Crap! is the scenery nice. :)

Can't wait for some add-on planes to be made available. 

Posted (edited)

Hey Tiger, 

that challenge is pretty cool on Lukla in the caravan. rank 3360 first go. 7ft landing precision but the landing was a bit rough. 

I really like the changes in air turbulence in the mountains, the mist and clouds is really good.

I hope they add some more float planes. Some Otters, and Beavers for back country Canada

Edited by Tyberan