Jump to content
Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, ST_Catchov said:

 

Luxury. You oughtta live in Australia. 37mps down, 7 up on a good day. The lucky country. I'd be dead before the download completed.

 

a-skeleton-at-a-keyboard-with-a-real-mouse_sobdoyhdp_thumbnail-full01.thumb.png.3c76d05424afb496904ae05a38780245.png

That's my speed in darkest Northern Ontario except...I only have 1 mbps upload lmao. No future as a youtuber for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Bought the City of London buildings expansion pack to dip my toes into the market place. I chose the ‘buy and install’ option and went through the purchase process and......my bank says I paid for it and my Microsoft account says I own it but.....where is it, lol🤪?

 

London? 😄

 

Check under your profile and then "manage content" is my guess....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Bought the City of London buildings expansion pack to dip my toes into the market place. I chose the ‘buy and install’ option and went through the purchase process and......my bank says I paid for it and my Microsoft account says I own it but.....where is it, lol🤪?

 

There have been some rather negative reviews of that particular pack. While parts of it are ok, it  replaces some of the stock 'landmark' buildings with markedly inferior versions.

 

I'd hold off buying expansions for the moment. There is likely to be a flood of rushed-out crap, and even the good stuff may stop working as Asobo deal with issues.  Let things settle, and enjoy the stock sim first.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

 

There have been some rather negative reviews of that particular pack. While parts of it are ok, it  replaces some of the stock 'landmark' buildings with markedly inferior versions.

 

I'd hold off buying expansions for the moment. There is likely to be a flood of rushed-out crap, and even the good stuff may stop working as Asobo deal with issues.  Let things settle, and enjoy the stock sim first.

 

Also to consider: Performance is already 'challenging' when flying over a city like London. Insert a number of highly detailed objects and watch your framerate drop to sub zero values ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SYN_Vander said:

 Check under your profile and then "manage content" is my guess....

You might think that but......😯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

That's my speed in darkest Northern Ontario except...I only have 1 mbps upload lmao. No future as a youtuber for me!

 

Commiserations Kestrel. Pretty sad innit. Must be something to do with commonwealth countries but I'm not seeing much common wealth where the nets concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ST_Catchov said:

 

Commiserations Kestrel. Pretty sad innit. Must be something to do with commonwealth countries but I'm not seeing much common wealth where the nets concerned.

It's just the remoteness of my location to be honest...in the more populated areas you can get some fantastic speeds. As they say, Canada's Really Big. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m having a blast with the Savage Cub (love the yellow paint job).  The graphics are breathtaking but not perfect.  The autogen does throw up a few anomalies and the default large house appears to be a Stalinist style concrete housing/ office block.  It means that the area of rural England that live in seems to resemble the Exclusion zone around Chernobyl, with manor houses and farms replaced by brutal modernist 5 storey concrete blocks.  Traffic also appears to drive far too fast and on many road is too dense (although this can be turned down).
 

Track IR implementation is good although there are no physical limits modelled currently.  Not an issue for me as I am currently in the sight seeing phase and welcome the opportunity to get a few bugs in my teeth when sticking my head into the slipstream.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may have already seen or know this. I'm going to try out later as I noticed a frame rate drop when dialog boxes come up:

 

Press V to open the GPS. When open there is a button on the window to pop it out of the game. Place on second monitor if you have one. If you have only 1 monitor place on desktop. Apparently this will boost frame rate. Some have reported a dramatic boost. I've noticed while playing I drop 20-30 fps when a dialog box comes up so I'm anxious to try this.

 

Where I live I have access to blazing fast internet, but you have to do some research to see which provider offers the fastest option and what the requirements on your end are. I originally signed up the the 1 gig option but found out a day later that I needed a DOCSIS 3.1 modem to get that 1gig speed. My modem was DOCSIS 3.0 and relatively new. I wasn't about to go out and spend $200 for a 3.1 when I already spent $200 for the 3.0 modem a little over a year ago, so I downgraded for the 300gps option that my modem would support. 
 

If I didn’t have any DOCSIS modem my fastest speeds would be lower.

 

If I take a 2 hour drive to visit friends who live in a more rural area they have the slow speeds many of you describe. There has been talk of upgrading the rural internet infrastructure, but nothing has come of it. The government would probably have to foot most of the bill as ATT and Comcast are very profit driven and not going be receptive.

 

I have a cousin who goes to Canada quite a bit and I think its more regulated up north. Of all the counties I've heard South Korea has one of the best internet infrastructures in the world. North Korea I imagine the average internet speed is zero...

 

Fix for FPS issues!!!
 
Edited by tiger_0988

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dburne said:

I plan to still hold strong on not buying until it has VR support.

Reading these posts though make it a little tough, but I intend to hang in there!


This was my idea but I was holding out for the next generation 3xxx graphics cards (preferably the ti version) and hopefully a next gen Intel chip. VR support was the biggest question everyone had during the initial release at the E3 show. So no doubt it’s in the pipeline which would be awesome.

 

You'll notice I used he past tense word “was”. I knew I’d bite for it sooner or later, so after deleting X-Plane 11 off of my gaming partition on the SSD drive I pulled the trigger on it as there wasn’t really any advantage to me in waiting except for having it installed on my new build later. I’m still mapping and deciding which  essential commands to map to my yoke, throttle quadrant and stick. Day two and still have yet to go flying and am looking forward to as well as dev updates and third party software releases, especially from REX.

Edited by BornToBattle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took off from Leicester Airport, flew to East Midlands Airport (done it in real life) and was quite amazed by it all... Took the same route and saw what I expected to see more or less.

I liked the ATC, the menu was pretty straight forward and easy to navigate. You get the usual calls and responses from the controller, they remind you to change to the ground controller and required frequencies etc when landed... you can call up ground services when parked, all good stuff and adds to the fun!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ST_Catchov said:

You oughtta live in Australia. 37mps down, 7 up on a good day. The lucky country. I'd be dead before the download completed.

You oughtta visit South Africa one day.

Would make your aussie inet connection feel like warp 9 again.

 

:drinks:

Mike

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I simply wait it out. If the itch get intolerable I going to buy it. 
I read that it need much more patching and, so far I simply do not need to have it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I simply wait it out. If the itch get intolerable I going to buy it. 
I read that it need much more patching and, so far I simply do not need to have it. 

 

The only problem I have had with it was the download process... everything else since it installed has been fine.

I only have a middle of the road pc with a GTX 1060 with 16gb ram... graphics defaulted to high end and it looks fantastic. I have had the occasional micro stutter that's all.

At some stage I will need to upgrade the pc because I would like to run it on ultra.

For me, it's proved to be a game changer as far as civilian flight sims are concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's lesson on the difference between knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge is knowing how to spawn a plane anywhere in the world, from latitude and longitude coordinates. Wisdom is not doing it at 21,000 ft in the Himalayas, in an aircraft with a ceiling of 15,750 ft. Especially not without checking the weather. 😳

 

Could have been worse. I'm 'only' at 21,000 ft. If I'd been over the peak of Annapurna, as I'd intended, I'd have been up at 27,000 ft.

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-08-20-18-18-56-3

 

Several issues. For a start, I was clearly going down, given the lack of air up here. And had MSFS modelled it, I'd have frozen to death, if I hadn't passed out from lack of oxygen first. Not sure if the realism settings allow for such things, but anyway, the engine carried on running, and so did I. Downhill, obviously. Trying to find a way out through the cumulo-granitus. Fortunately, there was a valley heading south, and enough wiggle-room through the clouds to follow it.
Desktop-Screenshot-2020-08-20-18-30-55-7

 

The in-game map helpfully told me where the nearest airport was. Pokhara, Nepal. There it is, in front of me:
Desktop-Screenshot-2020-08-20-18-48-05-7

 

I found Pokhara easily enough, though it was a bit confusing as they are building a replacement airport, and I spent some time trying to figure out why the runway seemed to be aligned in the wrong direction, and lacking anything that looked like markings. Or anything else like a runway, rather than runway-shaped dirt. Fortunately I figured out where the actual runway was, by flying right next to it, and noticing it as it passed by me. VFR flying at its best.  I landed on the numbers (you only need the numbers to land this thing, the rest of the runway is redundant) and taxied off to find a warm yak (or a warm Yak, either would do) to snuggle up to, to defrost my virtual self...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really enjoying MSFS 2020, no problems at all except maybe the slow slow loading time.

Been flying down at the tip of South America from Punta Arenas towards Cape Horn and didn't realize how much open sea was down there, looking at the maps

I always thought the canals were very narrow.  Not so.

Would like to hear from other pilots as to the interesting places they're flying over, my next flight will be along the Great Wall of China.

After that I plan to  fly a drone at a 6 ft or so height along the top, beside it, around the defensive forts and in the surrounding area  etc etc.

Then will fly over London and then take  a drone through the streets.

Great FUN now, hopefully VR when implemented  will give more immersion in the plane but its really good now!!!!.

 

Edited by fiddlinjim
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, this thing looks amazing!   THe best lighting engine ever. The weather is also breathtaking.

 

Question:

 

 How do you take screenshots? where do they go if you hit print screen?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jaws2002 said:

Man, this thing looks amazing!   THe best lighting engine ever. The weather is also breathtaking.

 

Question:

 

 How do you take screenshots? where do they go if you hit print screen?

 

I use FRAPS. I’m think if you use control-alt-printscreen it goes on clipboard and you can then paste in a program like paint.

 

I think if running under steam there is a built in screen shot capture feature, but I never use it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Jaws2002 said:

Man, this thing looks amazing!   THe best lighting engine ever. The weather is also breathtaking.

 

Question:

 

 How do you take screenshots? where do they go if you hit print screen?

 

Print Screen goes to your clipboard, so only the last one is there. If you hit Win+Print Screen, it goes to Pictures/Screenshots, so you can do as many as you like.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here I am with no clue flying over Surrey/Sussex pressing random buttons. Where is @6./ZG26_Gielow when I need him!

 

 

My first landing at London City Airport. A bit bumpy and my hands slipped on the steering wheel thing but at least she is on the ground ;)

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jaws2002 said:

Man, this thing looks amazing!   THe best lighting engine ever. The weather is also breathtaking.

 

 

 

 

The night lighting is insane. Nothing else comes close.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. I used F12 and got them in Steam folder. They are just saved as  pretty small .jpg files. 

 

This is nuts! the weather and lighting is breathtaking.

 

Sorry for the wall of screenshots. I'm really excited about this thing.😍

20200820182310_1.thumb.jpg.cfea6fe5bbe1e47830a9b9baa2dfa250.jpg20200820181953_1.thumb.jpg.5cc96e7b6b029efea41c0b7cd662fd5d.jpg

 

20200820175225_1.thumb.jpg.3823e3ac77a2d4eb8d2d14f1cadf417c.jpg20200820175558_1.thumb.jpg.eabbd109ec72f369cced390ce617db52.jpg20200820175617_1.thumb.jpg.ecbdf59d37aa49c182646c03ad29c9d7.jpg20200820175947_1.thumb.jpg.941e04ba415b2ae8231e358c376b5ded.jpg20200820180711_1.thumb.jpg.7bd330998de1edc755f1b580eca97fa1.jpg20200820180723_1.thumb.jpg.1581ffdde081d9ff61db2f6aef567cc0.jpg20200820181130_1.thumb.jpg.1919d74b451dd934cbcced6ef03d2084.jpg20200820181415_1.thumb.jpg.fa7ecf5968e2dbaccf5fb00001060141.jpg20200820181708_1.thumb.jpg.bf0174183067613a0174fee4f732c796.jpg

 

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Custard; fantastic!  In the.....the yellow thing:), you get supplied with a very handy head torch for night flying:clapping:.

 

Flew from Chiang Mai to Pai tonight in the big Cessna.  Very pleasant,  scenic,  twenty-five minute flight.  Thirty-two years ago we took the fifty baht bus.   It took seven steaming hours to grind it's way through the hills whilst we shared our seats with an assortment of livestock.  

I understand it's quicker now;  they don't make the farangs get out and walk over the bridges!   

 

Outstanding screenies Jaws:salute:    

Edited by DD_Arthur
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

@Custard; fantastic!  In the.....the yellow thing:), you get supplied with a very handy head torch for night flying:clapping:.

There are so many buttons to press and things to discover :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those weather shots look amazing. I've been playing this since release and have yet to play with any weather setting and I'm still amazed. In the past I bought add-ons for weather. Not sure how the third part developers will top what's already standard.

 

I live near the raging wild fires are burning in California. The sky is reddish and smoky. I put settings on real time weather and took off from the Nut Tree , hoping I would see the smoky haze, but its bright and sunny in the FS world-guess you can't have everything.

 

I have seen youtube video showing the effects of the wind on water and waves and its amazing. I think there was once a Hurricane Hunter add on sold for FS that featured the C-130 Hurricane Hunter. Be interesting to see it in FS2020.

7 minutes ago, Bullets said:

 

 

Don't buy the London Pack!!!

I bought hundreds of dollars of ORBIX stuff for FS and Prepar. Surprised they messed this one up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tiger_0988 said:

Those weather shots look amazing. I've been playing this since release and have yet to play with any weather setting and I'm still amazed. In the past I bought add-ons for weather. Not sure how the third part developers will top what's already standard.

 

I live near the raging wild fires are burning in California. The sky is reddish and smoky. I put settings on real time weather and took off from the Nut Tree , hoping I would see the smoky haze, but its bright and sunny in the FS world-guess you can't have everything.

 

I have seen youtube video showing the effects of the wind on water and waves and its amazing. I think there was once a Hurricane Hunter add on sold for FS that featured the C-130 Hurricane Hunter. Be interesting to see it in FS2020.

I bought hundreds of dollars of ORBIX stuff for FS and Prepar. Surprised they messed this one up.

 

Maybe it was rushed for the hype.

 

I've explored about 0.0001% of the planet so far and I'm not buying any scenery for a while. I'm waiting for a good WWII fighter to pop up, and/or a good fast mover like an F-15. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bullets said:

 

 

Don't buy the London Pack!!!

Well I bought it before reading your report.

Any method to remove it without affecting FS 2020????

Edited by fiddlinjim
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

 

Maybe it was rushed for the hype.

 

I've explored about 0.0001% of the planet so far and I'm not buying any scenery for a while. I'm waiting for a good WWII fighter to pop up, and/or a good fast mover like an F-15. 

With the AI for terrain still being tuned it’s probably a good idea to hold off on scenery.
 

There is a P-51 at the airport near me. I’ve seen it as well as a Typhoon or Tempest, AT-6, B-17 and other WW2 warbirds flying around. 
 

At one time rides were offered in the P-51 but don’t see that anymore. 
 

I have DCS so I’ve already have a F-15 and P-51 to play with and also have Boddenplatte and IL2 1946.

 

What I’m waiting for in FS2020 is:

 

SR-71

U2

C-130

any glider

not sure if FS2020 extends to the outer limits of the sky to space but a Space Shuttle and X-15 would also be awesome to play with.

 

Does anyone remember the sim Orbiter released back in the 80s? I had hours of fun with that as well as Chuck Yeagers Flight Simulator which had an SR-71. I loved seeing Yeagers face and comments when you messed up. Same for CYs Combat Flight Simulator.

Edited by tiger_0988

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, tiger_0988 said:

With the AI for terrain still being tuned it’s probably a good idea to hold off on scenery.
 

There is a P-51 at the airport near me. I’ve seen it as well as a Typhoon or Tempest, AT-6, B-17 and other WW2 warbirds flying around. 
 

At one time rides were offered in the P-51 but don’t see that anymore. 
 

I have DCS so I’ve already have a F-15 and P-51 to play with and also have Boddenplatte and IL2 1946.

 

What I’m waiting for in FS2020 is:

 

SR-71

U2

C-130

any glider

not sure if FS2020 extends to the outer limits of the sky to space but a Space Shuttle and X-15 would also be awesome to play with.

 

Does anyone remember the sim Orbiter released back in the 80s? I had hours of fun with that as well as Chuck Yeagers Flight Simulator which had an SR-71. I loved seeing Yeagers face and comments when you messed up. Same for CYs Combat Flight Simulator.

 

I would love to see an SR-71. Flew one in FS2004. Good fun. Had the Captain Sim C-130 for FSX and that was great fun.

 

I want a P-51 or something like it because it's good for low and slow, fast and whatever, "feels personal", and has great visibility from the cockpit. That last part is crucial. I want to see the terrain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

 

I would love to see an SR-71. Flew one in FS2004. Good fun. Had the Captain Sim C-130 for FSX and that was great fun.

 

I want a P-51 or something like it because it's good for low and slow, fast and whatever, "feels personal", and has great visibility from the cockpit. That last part is crucial. I want to see the terrain.

The OV-10 Bronco would be perfect for low, slow/fast. Amazing airplane. I used to watch them and Phantoms across from my house back the 70s.

 

I also have Captain Sim C-130, also have a C-17 and B-1 for FSX. 
 

Once the pipeline for add on planes for 2020 get moving watch out. MS has hit the ball out of the park and I think there is going to be a booming business for add ons. 
 

There was an add on for one of the versions of FS that had you being the DEA chasing down drug runners. I never got it but I think it would be pretty fun and once they add helos a remake of the Coast Guard rescue add on would be fun.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I would love to see an SR-71. Flew one in FS2004. Good fun.

 

I had it in FSX. Pretty damn cool.

 

2009-4-21_19-4-22-812.jpg

 

2009-4-21_19-3-40-500.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bugger...spawned at the gas pumps where I tow gliders, KSYN. They could remove the building my tail is resting on (it's not there IRL). This XCub surely is a hoot to fly.

 

1674127007_KSYNspawn02.thumb.jpg.ce0adf2d493e5a01439e09625f49e9e3.jpg

 

The Cliff of Moher are a bit knackered too. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jaws2002 said:

 

I had it in FSX. Pretty damn cool.

 

2009-4-21_19-4-22-812.jpg

 

2009-4-21_19-3-40-500.jpg

 

Loved taking off and then hitting the rear view and watching the airport fade away in the distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

 

Loved taking off and then hitting the rear view and watching the airport fade away in the distance.

 

 

Yep. I'd love a new SR-71 in FS2020.  

I used to take off in New Mexico and climb west,  Hit 90.000 Ft over Los Angeles and then turn north along the coast. Another turn over Vancouver, BC and then land in north Dakota. 

Pretty peaceful experience. Once you got it up there and up to speed, you flew with the trimmers.

    One thing i didn't see in this new FS2020 are contrails and vapor trails. DCS has those pretty well done. Maybe later.

 

I love playing with the Weather on the fly. Add storms, wind, change time of day, change the particle density.  All this changes have a dramatic effect on how everything looks.

 

All this were taken in one flight from Toronto island:

20200820205342_1.thumb.jpg.ca21f931801651dcc15f2023dfca39f7.jpg20200820205537_1.thumb.jpg.e891e243e8cff7b16d997852e3158f3c.jpg20200820205702_1.thumb.jpg.e02734386019efa0b4f689223370828c.jpg20200820210021_1.thumb.jpg.dd312e90fb659f065b30026d3421b287.jpg20200820210408_1.thumb.jpg.7f2768fffd9250efcda16f2b4dc970a0.jpg

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...