Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

Nic727

7 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

I've just been tooling around Montreal and playing with a few different planes for the most part. Did take one flight out of Whitehorse and saw all kinds of things from when I was there. 

Definitely need to find a favorite plane. Don't think any of the included fit the bill. If A2A Simulations makes a P-51, that could close the deal, at least for a while.

But before bed I'm talking a flight out of Lukla. That I have to see!

That's funny, one of my first flights was out of Lukla and back in :). Did St Barts too. I wasn't disappointed. This is a sim that will keep on giving. If A2A can get their products in then it will be even better. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hoots said:

That's funny, one of my first flights was out of Lukla and back in :). Did St Barts too. I wasn't disappointed. This is a sim that will keep on giving. If A2A can get their products in then it will be even better. 

I had a big grin on my face when I started my flight at Lukla. It really looked cool. And it was fun. Can't take off in an 747 from Lukla though, the bulidings block the wings.

If they could port the DCS Harrier into FS2020 I would be in sim heaven. Dont even need the weapons, just beaucoup fuel.

Apparently I have been playing the game for 16 hrs!

In reality I played it for 1 and a half hours... then attempted to install to another drive and I'm still waiting for the bloody download to get sorted.

It's much slower to download today than it was yesterday.

For people who are struggling getting the open world to load:

https://www.ghostarrow.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-wont-launch-crash-how-to-fix

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015879160-How-to-troubleshoot-crashes-CTDs-at-the-loading-screen

Go through the procedures listed in the articles ablove. It solved all of my problems with crashing to desktop. Your mileage may vary but I went from not being able to even get the sim to load into the 3d world to being able to fly at a nice smooth 75fps on High End Specs without any real snags apart from the occasional 10FPS hernia when new things have to load.

6 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Anyone have trouble with setting up their stick? My inputs are laggy and often go straight to the extreme with each input? Did I miss something? From what I can tell I've set them up properly in the GUI. 

Although it sounds like you got it figured out, it's worth mentioning that the default sensitivities are incredibly high.  I currently have mine set to -75% just to get the C152 to handle close to what I recall it being like.

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

If they could port the DCS Harrier into FS2020 I would be in sim heaven. Dont even need the weapons, just beaucoup fuel.

If 1CGS could branch out and port some FW190's, P-47's, P-38's and Yaks over, I'd be in sim heaven.  :)

• Upvote 2

I gotta say, I really like the default camera setup that the game provides for the T16000 and the TWCS throttle. Took a few minutes to get used to it but it really covers all the bases.Somebody put some thought into it.

And the stick mapping is great, it shows you the stick and buttons on screen and numbers everything. Very smooth.

On my first install I had it running ok in around 6hrs... but there are many, many people who have had major problems getting it to download at all.

Had problems on the second install, it has taken me many hours to figure out and search the net and the various forums to get what looks like a solution.

Not much help from Microsoft, it was common users that seem to have come up with various solutions and put up videos etc... seems like there are a lot of refunds as well... not a good start from a giant like Microsoft.

Despite my problems, would I take a refund if it was offered?... not on your life!... the bugs, annoying as they are will eventually get sorted.

This is too good a thing to give up on it.

The first sim I've ever played that was intelligent enough to not only recognise your controllers but also be smart enough to not assign all the primary flight controls to the rudder pedals. I'm astounded.

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

On my first install I had it running ok in around 6hrs... but there are many, many people who have had major problems getting it to download at all.

Had problems on the second install, it has taken me many hours to figure out and search the net and the various forums to get what looks like a solution.

Not much help from Microsoft, it was common users that seem to have come up with various solutions and put up videos etc... seems like there are a lot of refunds as well... not a good start from a giant like Microsoft.

Despite my problems, would I take a refund if it was offered?... not on your life!... the bugs, annoying as they are will eventually get sorted.

This is too good a thing to give up on it.

Yeah, non steam install and I have to say I had no issues at all, even choosing what drive I wanted it on wasn't an issue. Mind you, i would have been well narked to wait 6.5 hours for it to download only for it not to work! Anyway, all great here. 

FS2020 has a drone capability whereby the user can fly around objects at near ground level for a totally different view, and without a cockpit,

but I can't find where I originally saw it.

Anyone know the setup directions/source for this info?

unlikely_spider
5 minutes ago, fiddlinjim said:

FS2020 has a drone capability whereby the user can fly around objects at near ground level for a totally different view, and without a cockpit,

This?

28 minutes ago, fiddlinjim said:

19:57

Edited by icecream

5 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

I gotta say, I really like the default camera setup that the game provides for the T16000 and the TWCS throttle. Took a few minutes to get used to it but it really covers all the bases.Somebody put some thought into it.

Any chance you would you be willing to describe the camera views you have a little bit further for those of us who have controllers that are unrecognized and require full setup form scratch? I just started mapping some of the camera controls and don't want to miss some of the better ones, and there are so many...

Edited by Stoopy
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Any chance you would you be willing to describe the camera views you have a little bit further for those of us who have controllers that are unrecognized and require full setup form scratch? I just started mapping some of the camera controls and don't want to miss some of the better ones, and there are so many...

Let's see if I can do this in any way that approximates the English language.

The POV hat on the flightsick gives you quick pan left and right that snap to center when released. Press up and you get a slightly higher view of/over the panel, press down you're back to center view, press down again and you get a slightly lower closer view of the panel. Press down again and it goes to screen panels or consoles in sequence depending on the plane. Press up and it returns in sequence to center view.  

Flightsick thumb (cannon/bomb release) button is return to center view from anywhere.

Trigger switch is a kind of airport/runway padlock.

The little joystick on the front of the TWCS throttle is a classic POV hat that looks (head position) around and stays where it goes to. (The flightstick POV hat will pan left and right from this view and snap back to it when released.)

The top hat switch om the side of the throttle moves the camera up-down-left-right as if your body/sitting position changes.

I really like this setup. If you don't have TrackIR, it makes looking around pretty easy. It may sound clunky, but it works together really well.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I really like this setup. If you don't have TrackIR, it makes looking around pretty easy. It may sound clunky, but it works together really well.

Ha! As usual I wanted to map my Warthog in my own peculiar configuration and deleted that lot as soon as I found that the cockpit view lurched about every time I tried to use the flaps or trim. 🤪

4 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Adding to @CanadaOne's post. I made this PDF from the official online guide. Hope it helps.

MSFS Camera Basics.zip

• Upvote 1

First off I am not the best at explaining things so here go's.

I purchased MSFS 2020 the dvd version it came with ten dvds. and I had 3 go's at installing the dvds on the 3rd atempt after 5 hours loading ten dvds it was serposed to open up on the Microsoft store web site sO I could enter the code on the card but it did not, I Googled Microsoft activation code so I entered the code on the card that came with the game then I got a Radeem code and it saved it for me to paste when needed then it took me to the page to purchase the game what it should have done download the rest of the game and the launcher.

To cut a very long story short I now have the boxed sim and the 10 dvds installed on my pc but can not find out how to get MS to download the rest of it I did speak to MS and they said they would phone me but they did not so now I am £55.00 down and to me at 76 that is a lot of money.

So if you are thinking of buying the install takes over 5 hours (dont know the full time as MS never finished off ) if I purchased it again I would download it from the MS site.

I hope all that makes sense 

A very unhappy old man.

If it's any consolation, it took me 6 hours to download the thing... plus it took an hour of trying to register at the microsoft site beforehand. 

Then I decided to uninstall and reinstall to a bigger drive and that took even longer!... not the happiest two days of my life I have to say.

unlikely_spider

Yes, you certainly are not alone when it comes to installation issues. It's just the irony of you installing the DVDs then still having to download a large chunk.

Many of us Steam users were peeved to discover that we still have to use the Microsoft installer instead of Steam's servers, and had subsequent issues authenticating and installing.

Not the best rollout of cloud-hosted tech that the software company is supposedly using this to showcase.

Edited by unlikely_spider

45 minutes ago, busdriver said:

...official online guide...

Do you have a link for that? I've found several 'guides' online, but none from MS.

6 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Do you have a link for that? I've found several 'guides' online, but none from MS.

Aye laddie...here you go.

Edited by busdriver
clarify the link...
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

And the stick mapping is great, it shows you the stick and buttons on screen and numbers everything. Very smooth.

I have same setup and agree 100%. Probably the best out of the box, auto detect installs I've seen. It also auto detected my hardware set set everything to high. Looks nice at high. I reset things to ultra just to see and its playable. Using FRAPS I get 40fps on most areas, but do see a drop to 23 in the SF Bay urban areas, but also notice that it will jump to 35-40 once I fly out of areas with sun environmental effects so if I tweak some of the environmental settings it will probably be even smoother .

I've moved around a lot in my life and so far I've seen some good representations of places and dwellings I've lived in.

I have a relative in flight training for helicopters and he is very disappointed that rotary wing craft are not in this release. I sent him screenshots of the world map with Heleports selected and said, soon...The US military is moving to VR and flight simulators for pilot training so going to be interesting to see if they start using 2020, if they haven't already.

I wonder how a SSD like an Intel Optane would perform with 2020. They are super pricey now, but like all tech prices drop.

Edited by tiger_0988
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tiger_0988 said:

I have same setup and agree 100%. Probably the best out of the box, auto detect installs I've seen. It also auto detected my hardware set set everything to high. Looks like. I reset things to ultra and its playable. Using FRAPS I get 40fps on most areas, but do see a drop to 23 in the SF Bay urban areas, but also notice that it will jump to 35-40 once I fly out of areas with sun environmental effects so if I tweak some of the environmental settings it will probably be even smoother .

I've moved around a lot in my life and so far I've seen some good representations of places and dwellings I've lived in.

I have a relative in flight training for helicopters and he is very disappointed that rotary wing craft are not in this release. I sent him screenshots of the world map with Heleports selected and said, soon...

I wonder how a SSD like an Intel Optane would perform with 2020. They are super pricey now, but like all tech prices drop.

Yep, I really liked the default control maps. And I love the in-game pics of my hardware, with numbers on the buttons and switches and arrows that spell it out. It's good to be treated like a dummy sometimes. I've only changed one thing so far, I set my spacebar to active pause.

Just found out Steam has a setting that shows FPS in any Steam-installed game so I'll try it out with FS2020. But so far flying has been smooth. 

I really need to buy a bigger NVME for this game. Hopefully someone will do a bench on how disk speed affects loading. I'd imagine its mostly network limited but if I can have a few cached areas load up in under 30 seconds then I'd seriously go RAID M2s for this.

Also kudos to anyone who gets this;

976688302_AFmsfs.png.8fdf0b92802c911943679145455401fe.png

10 hours ago, Stoopy said:

for those of us who have controllers that are unrecognized 

Assuming you're running through Steam?

Go to Steam > Settings > Controler > General Controller Settings

Uncheck everything

Close the window and launch MSFS and your controllers will be recognised

• Thanks 1

I’m really enjoying this. Don’t know what exactly it is but this is the most enjoyable time I’ve experienced with FS. I think the graphics has a lot to do with it. Flying VFR with outdated graphics just isn’t the same when it’s so real looking. Immersion counts for something.

I just completed all the lessons successfully, but could use some improvement. Now I want to learn more. 

I have VR, but I’m not sure I would use it a lot of it had VR support at the moment. I’m not a pilot and navigation take all my concentration so having VR goggles on and trying to do other things would probably get in the way.

I’ve seen some graphical weirdness-glimmers under the Golden Gate and Bay Bridge that look weird and weirdness with highway off ramps, but overall it’s amazing.

Oftentimes games and sims don’t live up to they hype, but this one seems to have delivered.

• Upvote 1

For F***k sake. Do i have to listen to this stupid music for five hours during the download? :fool:

How can I turn this music off during the download?

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jaws2002 said:

For F***k sake. Do i have to listen to this stupid music for five hours during the download? :fool:

How can I turn this music off during the download?

LMAO, I had the same experience.

Just go to your taskbar and right click on the speaker icon > open volume mixer > mute or turn down the appropriate slider

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ace_Pilto said:

LMAO, I had the same experience.

Just go to your taskbar and right click on the speaker icon > open volume mixer > mute or turn down the appropriate slider

Thank you!!!!!!  I was about to...

• Haha 1

5 hours to download? Feel bad for those who have to endure that. Reminds me of the days downloading mp3s via Napster on a 14440 modem.

I recently switched back to Comcast as ATT didn’t have fiber in my area and download speeds was a lot slower than what I was used to. 

If I had the latest DOCSIS 3.1 modem I could have got 1gig download speeds from Comcast. Settled for 300mps as I had older DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

In my area ATT sucks. Can’t say I have much love for Comcast. 

I also found that FS2020 doesn’t like having VPN turned on. 

I’m seeing posts on other places where people with beefy systems more powerful than what I’m running complaining about performance. They don’t mention their internet connections. Makes me wonder if someone with a i7 cpu, 2080 graphics card, 32 megs of ram, SSD drives but a internet with a small pipe will get really bad results.

Edited by tiger_0988

Spawned in a A320 on Madeira yesterday for a quick take off, circled around the island and then landed again (manually with keyboard, which was a bit bumpy). Feels great and looks pretty sweet. Also interesting that you can adjust your fuel load mid flight. Makes for some fun experiments (engine restart mid-air etc.). A bit of a shame that some instruments don't work, for instance, the gear indicator seems to be inoperable for some reason. I also wished ATC would be a little bit more complex. You can basically only ask for heading to the airport or landing clearance and that seems to be it.

Still, loading times are a chore for me. First you boot up, then after a while you have to click any button so that it then actually starts loading the main menu (why it doesn't just go to the main menu automatically is beyond me) and then if you want to spawn in a densly populated area, it's another long wait. Really takes me 10 minutes from booting until i'm sitting in a cockpit.

Edited by Matt

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

I also wished ATC would be a little bit more complex. You can basically only ask for heading to the airport or landing clearance and that seems to be it.

That’s only for uncontrolled airfields I think. Other airfields have a tower with full communication procedures.

• Thanks 1

OK, i tried Madeira yesterday and i believe that was one of those "Star" airports. Will try some of the bigger airports next.

2 hours ago, tiger_0988 said:

Settled for 300mps

Luxury. You oughtta live in Australia. 37mps down, 7 up on a good day. The lucky country. I'd be dead before the download completed.

a-skeleton-at-a-keyboard-with-a-real-mouse_sobdoyhdp_thumbnail-full01.thumb.png.3c76d05424afb496904ae05a38780245.png

• Haha 1

Bought the City of London buildings expansion pack to dip my toes into the market place. I chose the ‘buy and install’ option and went through the purchase process and......my bank says I paid for it and my Microsoft account says I own it but.....where is it, lol🤪?