Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

Still DL, 32 GB in the last hour and forty-five. So far it's been painless and the DL speed is good.

Definitely going to grab the new Nvidia drivers.

It scanned my system and recommended the High graphics preset btw.  My system rtx2070, i7 3930k @4.6Ghz, 16gig ddr3. Flight from local airport was frankly breathtaking but yeah, it’s really pleased with it’s trees and obviously wants to share that with you. I never knew I had that many in my own garden!🤪

• Haha 1

Was looking for a way to change the install directory / path myself and found this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/how-to-change-install-directory-for-xbox-beta-app/04aeae3d-7a64-44c0-b615-7ae0a9540cd4

A easy to fix this is to goto system- then storage- and under the storage tab find " change where new content is saved" then select "new apps will save to" and select your preferred storage drive.

Then uninstall your xbox (beta) app, and reinstall it, now when you goto install a new game on the pc game pass it will give you the option to select what drive you want to install it on.

This issue happens because by default windows needs to recognize that your pc has the folder called windows app on that drive and that it has been setup by a windows app installer atleast once, for the xbox (beta) app to recognize the new (useable) install location for your games and apps

After doing so I was able to select path and drive which I wanted as soon as I started the installation process of FS2020

^^^ This was my problem as well.  The Content Manager Dialogue showed up on the 4th try and advised that I didn't have enough space on my C drive (250GB SSD for IWindows System files) to install - even though I had specified it earlier to install to the nice new F: drive, a nice shiny new 1TB SSD that I put in over the weekend.  So I made a Users\Appdata\blahblahblah equivalent folder on F:, pointed it there, and now we're off to the races.   

WHY this never showed up o the first 2 or 3 tries is beyond me, now I'm downloading in the middle of the day which is exactly what I wanted to avoid... the good part is that after 30 minutes it's 25% done, so might go relatively quickly.

The MIcrosoft boys have a thing or two to learn about install processes from the Steam and IL2 teams...

Edited by Stoopy

I'm currently sitting in a Savage Cub, parked in Richmond Park (SW London) on the spot where 40+ years ago I used to fly RC gliders. 😀 Nit that difficult to find by eyeball. Finding my house was a little more tricky, but its there, if not exactly the right shape.

Lots of settings to tweak, lots of controls to figure out, but it shows promise. Assuming I can get airborne again (ground looks a little rough) I think I'll head east, and land at London City. I dare not go back to Heathrow, since ATC are surely after me for breaking every law known to aviation. 😉

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

STOOPYDUDE is now in the MFS MP world for anyone who wants to add him, I'd be proud to fly with my IL2 brethren.  Will be taking my first flight after I set up my controls tonight. :) 

I've just been awarded an achievement... ''By the Book''... apparently I have manually started the Airbus A320's engines, which is strange because I've only flown the Cessna 152???

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

I've just been awarded an achievement... ''By the Book''... apparently I have manually started the Airbus A320's engines, which is strange because I've only flown the Cessna 152???

Well you'd better go and find out where that Airbus is. You can't leave it lying around with the engines running now, can you?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

It scanned my system and recommended the High graphics preset btw.  My system rtx2070, i7 3930k @4.6Ghz, 16gig ddr3. Flight from local airport was frankly breathtaking but yeah, it’s really pleased with it’s trees and obviously wants to share that with you. I never knew I had that many in my own garden!🤪

Time to call Fruitbat?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

I cut throttle just before touching down in my cub and now have a "Deadstick Landing!" award! :) 

• Haha 1

I had to try 2 times myself and manually change the Content Manager to my D drive the second time around. I fired up Lesson 1 in the tutorial and it gave a message saying there was an error attempting to connect to the servers so I would be playing offline. Didn't look great so I quit out, disabled my VPN and restarted. Ran normally and looks great, but for some reason it get stuck at the 1 lesson where it tells you to use the POV hat to pan views.

The POV objective stays and a dialog box that tells you to press 6 to reset the view. I do that, but nothing happens and the lesson objective stays stuck at the POV objective.

I bought the Deluxe version on Steam and like many others, looks like we only got a Standard edition-Steam is looking into that.

New SSD m2 1tb coming this friday so i'm somewhat foreced to wait saturday to install msfs, in fact i'll have to reinstall win10 and redownload il2, dcs, msfs, arma3 and bunch of other programs😱

@CanadaOne i can see you in a year from now;

-"hey microsoft we need a new collector planet, maybe Jurrasic Earth or some ELW"- 😜

53 minutes ago, tiger_0988 said:

I bought the Deluxe version on Steam and like many others, looks like we only got a Standard edition-Steam is looking into that.

Looks like they just fixed it according to the Steam discussions. I signed out of my Microsoft account in the sim, then signed in again, and now it's downloading the extra assets as we speak.

Edited by unlikely_spider

Downloaded everything Ok onto my drive C-SSD but unless you have a somewhat fast internet connection then best to plan on a few hours or overnight.

Scenery very impressive and Track IR works good.

Fortunately I have TM Hotas Warthog which is the default control system and the setup of my MFG rudder control was a bit intimidating and  I still haven't found

how to setup the toe brakes.     Some instructions as to the setup method would be especially helpful rather than fumbling thru with trial and error.

3 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Looks like they just fixed it according to the Steam discussions. I signed out of my Microsoft account in the sim, then signed in again, and now it's downloading the extra assets as we speak.

Yup, I was just about to post the same thing. Download rate is rather slow, though that may be an issue at my end. I may have melted the internet...

14 minutes ago, fiddlinjim said:

Downloaded everything Ok onto my drive C-SSD but unless you have a somewhat fast internet connection then best to plan on a few hours or overnight.

Scenery very impressive and Track IR works good.

Fortunately I have TM Hotas Warthog which is the default control system and the setup of my MFG rudder control was a bit intimidating and  I still haven't found

how to setup the toe brakes.     Some instructions as to the setup method would be especially helpful rather than fumbling thru with trial and error.

Yes, it is not the best interface at all. I'm not in it now (working) but you have to deselect "assigned" and go to "all", then search for toe or brakes or something. Then select the correct axis option that is in the results. Then in the pop up window, first select the top box, then move the axis so that it's recognized. Then Validate, then F11 to save. I have the Crosswinds and was able to get the toe brakes assigned.

Control mapping is one of the most non-intuitive things I've ever seen.   I spent 30 minutes mapping 3 basic flight axis!

This may help:

Yep, used squirrels videos to get me up and running too!

I had a flight to the Isle of Man, landed at Ronaldsway... all looking good.

Edit...

Sod it... uninstalled, managed to eventually get it to install on my other drive with masses of free space, so taking the hit and now have the long wait again as it downloads... had to be done, I had very little free space left on my C drive.

Edited by Trooper117

Gave it a short try today. Graphics, weather and scenery is very nice. Flightmodel seems to be good too (only tested some of the propeller planes).

But what kills it for me, are the atrocious loading times (probably takes 3-4 minutes until main menu and then another 5 minutes to load a flight) as well as the terrible performance i'm getting, which makes it almost unplayable for me. But it seems like i'm the only one experiencing this, so it must be on my end. Graphics setting are  on medium, with some set even lower (supersambling off, AA set to FXAA..).

I only bought the Xbox pass for 1 € to test it a bit. Not sure if i'll spend time messing around with it to get it running properly. But i'm happy i didn't buy it. 

Does anyone know if you can preload some parts of the world and not stream them?

I have high speed internet but still takes a while to load decent detail.

36 minutes ago, SCG_ErwinP said:

Thanks for posting this! :) 

Damn, would have been far more informative if they at least compared it to levels below Ultra (they seem to assume that everyone wants or needs Ultra 🤨)  - oh well.

Edited by Redwo1f

1 hour ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Does anyone know if you can preload some parts of the world and not stream them?

I know you can but l can’t tell you how yet...it’s all part of this scenery cache business...and I’m not at home either 🤪

Edited by DD_Arthur

1 hour ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Looks like you can. Go to YouTube and search for “Five Things You Should Know” by Obsidian Ant-I think he describes what you’re asking.

I’m not sure how this site feels about posting links so I’m not pasting it. Some sites hate it.

For Xplane ppl would often download mesh terrain onto high speed storage devices. I have a laCie Porche drive that would be good for downloading parts of the world, if that’s possible.

4 hours ago, =VARP=Ribbon said:

@CanadaOne i can see you in a year from now;

-"hey microsoft we need a new collector planet, maybe Jurrasic Earth or some ELW"- 😜

I concur. :cool:

But I don't know what ELW stands for.

In any case, got home and it had finished downloading, had to do a few quick things, accepted the settings as it, then I was into a flight near my home town in a Cub.

My verdict after fifteen-minutes of superficial flying: It's ******* amazing! :dance:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

My verdict after fifteen-minutes of superficial flying: It's ******* amazing! :dance:

I'll admit, that after a wasted 6 hours of download/install time last night (seemed so long ago!), figuring out how to correct the MS Store install path, then seeing that I didn't get my Preemie Deluxe Cheeseburger additional content and working through that, and then painstakingly plodding through the cumbersome joystick mapping process for just the basic stuff, I took my inaugural flight from O28 (which I highly recommend) in the Cessna 152 and...

It's pretty Bitchen'...

The sound and sights on takeoff were exactly what I remembered, it's a hot August day and I got bumped around just like I remembered,  my little podunk town was all there, and the field over where we did spin training (minus the cows), I found the block where our tiny little house was, and my old middle school on the corner, plus my old High School and our football field (Go, Wolverines!) and the road from there winding up the hills to the airport, which I ran every day and back on the cross country team.   After a little tour, set up for a nice final between the trees (which are accurate, being NorCal Redwood country) all the time hearing my old instructor talk me through it, for a nice little squeaker of a greased landing that I think would have made him happy. 

Despite the rough edges here and there, it's gonna be a GREAT platform for improvements going forward.  This is gonna be a blast exploring old haunts,  current surroundings and new frontiers.  In between IL2 missions of course! 

Edited by Stoopy
  • Upvote 5

ELW = Earth Like World. Found a few of those in Elite Dangerous.

I can confirm the Zlin Shock Ultra does what it says on the tin. Stalls at about 20 Kt full flaps. Lands on a sixpence. Takes off in the same - especially if you stand on the brakes, apply full power, raise the tail, and then let go. 

I tried the Pitts briefly, too, and it does seem to have at least plausible spin characteristics, though no doubt anyone who's actually flown one will be able to comment more usefully. 

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

I concur. :cool:

But I don't know what ELW stands for.

In any case, got home and it had finished downloading, had to do a few quick things, accepted the settings as it, then I was into a flight near my home town in a Cub.

ELW=Earth like worlds (planets)😁

Aaah Cub will be my first pick too, did you tried to land out in the wild, how does rough non-runway terrain behaves?

8 minutes ago, =VARP=Ribbon said:

ELW=Earth like worlds (planets)😁

Aaah Cub will be my first pick too, did you tried to land out in the wild, how does rough non-runway terrain behaves?

Haven't tried that yet. About to DL some terrain into a cache, that ObsidianAnt guy says it improves performance and eye candy.

And if you buy FS2020 through Steam the marketplace works through your Steam account as well. I like that! Don't have to start a separate friggin' paying account with MS. Haven't bought anything yet, but I want a good fast mover a la F-15 and a WWII fighter.

• Thanks 1

After trying to reinstall the game, all was going well until I got to the last 3.68gb of the download and it just stopped.

Tried several times with restarts but will not update that last 3.68gb... I've been on the forums at Microsoft and loads of people stating the same thing.

Will have to give it a rest now as I've been at this all day on and off, lol!... steam says I have been 'playing' for 13 hours... I wish!

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

After trying to reinstall the game, all was going well until I got to the last 3.68gb of the download and it just stopped.

Tried several times with restarts but will not update that last 3.68gb... I've been on the forums at Microsoft and loads of people stating the same thing.

Will have to give it a rest now as I've been at this all day on and off, lol!... steam says I have been 'playing' for 13 hours... I wish!

I'm sorry it's giving you a hard time. 

No fun at all. :(

I think everything to do with the ordering, purchasing, registering, downloading and installing of this thing has been a major pain in the rear end but...... it’s freakin’ amazing.😎  This really does mark a step change in everything to do with flight sims - of all kinds😍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

I think everything to do with the ordering, purchasing, registering, downloading and installing of this thing has been a major pain in the rear end but...... it’s freakin’ amazing.😎  This really does mark a step change in everything to do with flight sims - of all kinds😍

I've just been tooling around Montreal and playing with a few different planes for the most part. Did take one flight out of Whitehorse and saw all kinds of things from when I was there. 

Definitely need to find a favorite plane. Don't think any of the included fit the bill. If A2A Simulations makes a P-51, that could close the deal, at least for a while.

But before bed I'm talking a flight out of Lukla. That I have to see!

Basic control set up, no fiddling with graphics yet. Runs beautifully. My flight over home😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Other than crashing on a fairly regular basis for me its an amazing accomplishment. The flight models are actually intricate, the systems modeling is well above anything offered by FSX, P3D, and XP on their default aircraft, and it really is stunning to look at. It is however fraught with a lot of bugs, both render wise and systemic, and has issues associated with the data streaming component, though patching will clear most of this stuff up.   

This is the first time I've ever flown GA birds in a sim as I've always typically stuck to my airliner addons. Now that GA is actually rewarding, does anyone have any tuts with regards to managing the AP/FD systems on the turboprops? I'm lost in the sauce and have no idea where to begin... 😁

10 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Control mapping is one of the most non-intuitive things I've ever seen.   I spent 30 minutes mapping 3 basic flight axis!

Same issues.

Also, the GUI itself is a combination of good, obtuse/unintuitive, and downright awful. There are aspects of it that reek of something designed for a console controller via sticks and triggers. It really stands out in some places.

Hey guys,

Anyone have trouble with setting up their stick? My inputs are laggy and often go straight to the extreme with each input? Did I miss something? From what I can tell I've set them up properly in the GUI. 

Edit: I think I know what I did wrong now. Always fun learning new sims. 🙂

Jason

2 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Edit: I think I know what I did wrong now. Always fun learning new sims. 🙂

Shhh!  Don't say that.  Otherwise everyone will be doing it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Always fun learning new sims.

But why should we ??? .... Simply put FS 2020 -with a.o. that big airliner- in Autopilot ... let it do it's thing all by itself, even fall asleep in your cockpit/chair ... quite easy when looking at an utterly boring 15 fps slideshow (that even I have seen on those countless FS 2020 Youtube vids).

When you wake up your plane has finally landed ... mission accomplished !

Noone that makes your life miserable by, yes, even shooting at your shining airliner !

None of that distracting AA all around ... just a smooth ride with your favourite music in the background.

In the end I decided not to buy FS 2020 (not yet anyway).

Sorry, but for me, personally ... IL-2 GB, CloD Tobruk and DCS are still the only real way to enjoy flying and ... gaming.

PS. I had hoped, in vain it seems, that MS would have learned by now that there are more PC drive letters besides that 'C ' (and that more than 640 MB of RAM is not really that un-imaginable)

But YMMV (and I sure hope it does 🤭 😉)  

Edited by simfan2015