Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

I was really curious about the technology used for terrain and buildings in the video and did some research. Apparently it's similar to the photogrammetry based technology that is used in Google Earth 3D view, although with a much higher resolution.

If Microsoft is able to use high resolution textures and terrain meshes and still achieve good performance this will be a huge leap forward for flight simming.

Simply put, all buildings, bridges, trees, etc., aren't single objects, but are part of the terrain mesh with aerial images draped over. The advantage is, that you can easily create densely populated areas without the need to build hundreds of 3D objects that have a negative impact on performance. The problem is, that objects won't look good when you are very close, so they will probably use normal 3D objects for airports and some other areas. Damage models will also be a problem, so it won't work very well for combat flight sims.

You can test the technology in Google Earth when you enable 3D buildings, go to one of the larger cities and start the flight sim mode. Despite the low resolution it's already quite impressive.

For example, here's the fortress near Marseille, that can be seen in the MS video at 0:49:

Clipboard05.jpg

San Francisco:

Clipboard01.jpg

New York:

Clipboard02.jpg

Hamburg:

Clipboard03.jpg

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Like 1

Mmmm me wants some of that sweet latest TBM 930 (9 which ever) action. 

153hydS.png
s00qvgO.png

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Like 1

Flight simulator is ok, but Combat flight simulator will be the real deal ;)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rolling_Thunder said:

I can't see a WW2 CFS using that technology. There are zero satelite images of anywhere from 1939-1945. Wont be happening.

I was wondering if some of the million or so stereoscopic photos taken by the RAF could serve as reference somehow.  I'd like to fly over Berlin or Hamburg one day... at night.  :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Feathered_IV said:

I was wondering if some of the million or so stereoscopic photos taken by the RAF could serve as reference somehow.  I'd like to fly over Berlin or Hamburg one day... at night.  :ph34r:

That would be a lot of work. Even just to colour them.

Some veeery good news from Micro$oft:

While this is not the moment to answer every question being asked, we do want to take the opportunity to answer a few important ones:

1. We are making Microsoft Flight Simulator. Emphasis on the word SIMULATOR.
  2. Designed for PC, optimized for multiplatform support (e.g. Xbox).
  3. Yes. We are supporting 3rd Party Content Development and Community Content creation. We are aware of the concerns in the current eco-system and are working to address them.
  4. Yes. We genuinely want to work closely with the community in the development of this title.
  5. Accessibility is important to us. Whatever your abilities are, if you want to fly, we are going to do whatever we can to make that happen. Yoke and pedals, mouse and keyboard, controller, etc. No pilot should be left behind.

Read the full post here:

https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/?fbclid=IwAR2-z1r-cD3QNN6Ys1C-b7yk3mdp8gV9l-WD6M6RozIrXrh2bBzZLPk6sps

Edited by Semor76
  • Upvote 2

Will this one be completed do you think ? or just another HALF BAKED pile of shite like the last one (that i put a fooorrtuuune into).

Seriously though for me i think its going to be a case of once bitten twice shy.

Check the clouds and lighting as well as ground detail. Unbelievable. If the game that comes up in 2020 has this same quality ingame then it will be the absolute reference to beat.

To be watched on a 40 inch 4K monitor in 2K streaming:  Astounding is the right word.

Looks very promising but I would hold judgement until we see real in-game footage. We all know how nice these previews look and then the game rarely matches the trailers.

Nito Frito - I want to fly a float plane around the San Juan islands

Too many unknowns at the moment. It will probably look good, on the right hardware, but Microsoft have plenty of opportunity to mess it up in other ways.

Modern civil aviation doesn't hold much fascination.  If it were 1930's Imperial Airways or other eras I think I would find it a much greater source of interest.

11 hours ago, Semor76 said:

You´re a bit late to the party 😉

I  missed it sorry Nic727. But I checked before posting. I should have gone back three months ago.

Microsoft should have mentioned on what machine they get such a smooth 100 FPS in 4K.

I go for a quad Titan RTX with a 7Ghz overclocked Intel 10nm prototype CPU.

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Upvote 1

in my times we used to called graphic quality eye candy

give me all the time a good fm and forget the eye candy

4 minutes ago, raaaid said:

This was true in the past were you had CGI  sequences for eye candy, and then the good fm but with graphics made to avoid slideshows.

Nowadays we expect and request good fm (CPU's can handle) and excellent eye candy (GPU's can handle).

No more excuses for botching these two "basic" requirements.

Remains the good scenario, modeling of objects etc.... which request talented people with an enormous bunch of time and money to invest.

It is not the hardware anymore that is a limiting factor. It is the capability to use optimally that hardware. And today we use two three core max, when standard CPU's are now at 6 or 8 cores, tomorrow 10.

• Upvote 2

August 15th update (there is a 22nd update). It looks promising. There are talks about the graphics being run by the cloud, but I'm not sure how it works or if it could be done right now in 2020.

Edited by SeaW0lf
  • Upvote 1

Looks promising, but I'm still going to be skeptical until we get more info.

12 hours ago, raaaid said:

Oh knock it off

• Upvote 1

why im pointing to a comunity fact

with il246 all concern was in the fm and graaphics were labelled as eye candy

now all is discussed is graphics and fm discussion is forgotten

and the thing is that theres lot of discussion to have for there are not two sims with close fm

10 minutes ago, raaaid said:

why im pointing to a comunity fact

with il246 all concern was in the fm and graaphics were labelled as eye candy

and the thing is that theres lot of discussion to have for there are not two sims with close fm

Know how I know you haven't set foot in the FM discussion section?

Graphics are great for a general aviation sim, but what I am most expecting is multithreaded performance [for real], game optimization [for real], flight models and physics and game-play. I was a fan of DCS WWII because of the cockpit startups and controls, so I'm excited about this release. We'll see.

EDIT: almost forgot... Real clouds and atmosphere conditions! That thunderstorm cloud was amazing.

Edited by SeaW0lf

25 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Know how I know you haven't set foot in the FM discussion section?

i meant of other games

im tired of ultrarealism holy grail

im in for something more creative concerning graphics

personally i like crispy models controllable if you have fast reactions something dificult but not to make of dificulty the objective

the microsoft series is know by his baby cushion flying model

if you aske me i rather il2 fm on 256*256 than a modeern cfs fm on 4000*4000

anyway im shorsighted uncorrected so what do i care

38 minutes ago, raaaid said:

There's plenty of FM discussion on Russian forum. 

On 6/15/2019 at 9:42 PM, Rolling_Thunder said:

That would be a lot of work. Even just to colour them.

It’s significantly less work if he’s flying over them at night.  It looks a lot like the PTO map will look.  Just darker.

This is starting to sound pretty promising. Other than the amazing graphics, there is some very interesting stuff in here about how the terrain isnt actually "modeled", but rather generated using massive amounts of real-world data. I dont know how that works, and if its done in real-time, but it sounds like an interesting idea and the limited game footage we have seen so far seems to show very good results. The flight modelling also sounds pretty complex and lighting and weather look really good. This could be a big step forward in the  fligh sim genre if they dont mess it up:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Flight Chops! Love that guy. 

I signed up for the insider program, hoping to get an invite in October.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, QB.Creep said:

Flight Chops! Love that guy. 

I signed up for the insider program, hoping to get an invite in October.

haha yeah he is fun to watch and definitely one of the best flight channels on Youtube

1 minute ago, EpeeNoire said:

scenery and lighting is looking really, really fantastic. looking forward to this one!

it does look really good from up high, but I suspect the ground detail wont be too good when you get up close. But lets wait and see!

• Upvote 1

If you check the tree's at 12:22 on the left side (closest to the cockpit) they look like weird polygon blobs so I think Flashy is right about things not looking super great close up, at least not right now anyway. Either way it's super exciting, if I was working for P3D or X-Plane I'd be shitting bricks.

heres another video with some more info and footage, and yes ground detail is very low-poly down low (see from 4:44 to about 5:00), but that not really what civilian flight sims are about anyway, so its still not bad..

Oh but come on, nothing can surpass Flight Sim of yesteryear.  Those awesome blocky graphics, 8 bit sound - ahhhh, the memories - taking off from Megs Airfield in 256 colours.😁

Interesting to see what they do with it but I'm a sucker for WW2 Warbirds.