Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

I bought the standard version... the deluxe packs held no interest for me whatsoever.

I will be trucking around in my little Cessna 152 (did my first solo in one of those) and the cub of course.

Can't download till 0500hrs here in the uk so will have to wait till tomorrow to join the fun.

Thinking about it... new CloD Tobruk, new MFS 2020, new patch for IL2 GB... I am so spoiled for choice this week!

2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Have now realised it’s more fun being kicked in the bollocks than opening a Microsoft account to download this thing.

Kicking customers in the bollocks is their whole business model

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Thinking about it... new CloD Tobruk, new MFS 2020, new patch for IL2 GB... I am so spoiled for choice this week!

And DCS Syria map coming too this week....OMG

So it ist the 18th...No download in Central europe on Steam here for me? Anyone has his ticket allready?

Yup, loading, though it looks like another 7 hours to finish - and I've somehow got it installing on my C drive, which wasn't what I wanted. 😧 I'd assumed it would install in a Steam library, but no - it asked for a path for what looked like a few specific files (something about ATC voices) and then decided that was where I wanted it all. There may be a way to move it (or most of it) later, from looking at the forums, but this is darned annoying. Trust MS to make things unintuitive...

Interestingly, it seems to use both the CPU and the GPU to decompress files, which I've not seen before.

LOL and ppl buying through steam because they think it would download faster... It downloads a 1 mb (well small, took me like seconds) launcher and then it’s all Microsoft. So no, it will not be in your steam library.
I bought using steam as well btw; it really doesn’t matter.

Edited by SYN_Vander
4 minutes ago, SYN_Vander said:

LOL and ppl buying through steam because they think it would download faster... It downloads a 1 mb (well small, took me like seconds) launcher and then it’s all Microsoft. So no, it will not be in your steam library.
I bought using steam as well btw; it really doesn’t matter.

Add to the fact that I pre-order through Steam thinking that way and it don’t show your Premuim content that you bought 119€. I just demand a refund for repurchase it through Microsoft Store. So yes, if you didn’t purchase it yet, don’t do it through steam it’s a mess 🤦‍♂️

7 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Have now realised it’s more fun being kicked in the bollocks than opening a Microsoft account to download this thing.

Yes, my *shudders "Xbox gamer tag" is now "MustIReally?"

2 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

and I've somehow got it installing on my C drive, which wasn't what I wanted. 

Yes, no matter where I tried to direct the package it would not let me... I wanted to install it on my new TB drive where steam is installed which has loads of room, and the initial install went there. Then the next bit would not go anywhere but my bloody C drive.... I'm flippin fuming!!!!

1 hour ago, Rafale22 said:

Add to the fact that I pre-order through Steam thinking that way and it don’t show your Premuim content that you bought 119€. I just demand a refund for repurchase it through Microsoft Store. So yes, if you didn’t purchase it yet, don’t do it through steam it’s a mess 🤦‍♂️

Same here. No premium content.

image.png.2f89d33796b9098d5bb040aaba0362e4.png

Edited by SYN_Vander

I started download shortly after midnight, after spending a good amount of time trying to figure out how to change the download location, so that it would hopefully be finished in the morning.

Was very happy when i checked morning. It somehow got stuck at around 3 GB and didn't continue. Only 94 GB left to download today.:good:

The Xbox app is a bit of a mess. Also fantastic idea to call the app "Xbox" app, i had no idea it was meant for PC or that you would need it for FS.

• Upvote 1

Just because I'm curious - my Nvdia-1060 GPU is running 95% all the time - next to 75% (3 cores) of my CPU. What are they doing? Mining bitcoins while preparing the installation ...? :russian_ru:First time I encountered an installation process using a GPU that intense. 

what a clusterfuck ... turns out you need to be logged in with a microsoft account to use this, and are then forced into some obscure xbox stuff?

Any idea if I can use this without using a microsoft account on log in to my PC?

Hi all, general questions, as i am new to MS flightsims.

- I'd like the UK scene and understood you'll need the premium version, right? Heathrow etc.

- How much harddisk space is needed?

- Are the licensed transferable? As i might want to give it to my son in law if i don't like it eventually.

Had a quick flight before I had to work after leaving it to download over night.  Flew over my house and was amazed at how accurate it all looks.  I've tried Ortho and others but none of them came close to replicating the are around my home town.

9 minutes ago, 216th_Nocke said:

what a clusterfuck ... turns out you need to be logged in with a microsoft account to use this, and are then forced into some obscure xbox stuff?

Any idea if I can use this without using a microsoft account on log in to my PC?

Welcome to the save harbour! Let's put it that way: xbox is the MS-way to do something like Steam or Epic, a sales-platform. And for that you need an account (btw: how did you buy it without one?). And if there's more to earn using the information about you, dear customer, we won't say no to it. :ph34r:

Of course I have an account. Used it once when I installed my current windows and used a local account since. Found myself forced to figure out that account again. Of course it was blocked, them telling me something had been done that broke their rules, of course without telling me what that would have been ... So finally they got me because I am a flight sim junkie ...

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, TP_Scram said:

Had a quick flight before I had to work after leaving it to download over night.  Flew over my house and was amazed at how accurate it all looks.  I've tried Ortho and others but none of them came close to replicating the are around my home town.

I had the opposite impression. The town where I live is 'imaginative' to say the least. Apart from the extra house in my garden, there are blocks of flats all over the place and we don't have any here. Any building that appears vaguely 'modern' from the air is now a block of flats. Half of the farms are... blocks of flats. The sports centre is... a block of flats. The artificial hockey pitch is... an industrial unit, and the stately home is a warehouse. Lord Methuen will NOT be pleased. Also, none of the tallest buildings in the English countryside, the churches, exist at all so atheism has won at last.

Plus there are the trees. Everywhere! We do not live in some sort of squirrels' paradise. And I must turn off the ground traffic. No-one in FS2020-land seems to have heard of the 30mph limit in a built-up area, and that just looks stupid.

I wasn't expecting perfection, but their buildings algorithm, or whatever it is, could be better. Will just have to fly up higher and enjoy the overall landscape rather than the detail, and that IS stunning. 😊

PS FS2020 appears to put a real drain on the power, not just the CPU and GPU, and it's been very slow loading and swapping between screens. Tweaking to be done, no doubt.

Edited by 216th_Cat
26 minutes ago, 216th_Nocke said:

Of course I have an account. Used it once when I installed my current windows and used a local account since. Found myself forced to figure out that account again. Of course it was blocked, them telling me something had been done that broke their rules, of course without telling me what that would have been ... So finally they got me because I am a flight sim junkie ...

Yeah, this about sums it up. I now appear to rejoice in the name ‘Amusing Lobster 369’ or something like that according to Xbox 😯

Over 85gb done... it's decompressing files at the moment.

It looks like it will take just over 5hrs to complete.

I'm still not impressed on how it got into my C drive though... I saw the text under the 'install the recommended content' bit and thought it was just going to put the language files in there... 

15 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Over 85gb done... it's decompressing files at the moment.

It looks like it will take just over 5hrs to complete.

I'm still not impressed on how it got into my C drive though... I saw the text under the 'install the recommended content' bit and thought it was just going to put the language files in there... 

15 GB done so far in about an hour. 

Sorry about the download direction. Is it worth doing over? I tried to be extra careful and make sure it found the NVME drive I bought just for this game.

44 minutes ago, 216th_Cat said:

... blocks of flats all over the place ... Plus there are the trees. Everywhere! ...

PS FS2020 appears to put a real drain on the power, not just the CPU and GPU, and it's been very slow loading and swapping between screens. Tweaking to be done, no doubt.

Hm, odds and ends from that tiny little island? Do the developers from the Grande Nation and an owner from a former colony play a cruel vendetta game with the beauty of the English countryside? I suggest to go low level over France. If there's squirrel paradise between flats, too, it's just an intentional niche for further in-app-purchases. Fly low-level in pain we're happy to cure with a further 50 € for your personal "30 square-mile detail set" around your favourite places (each).

My poor old PC is in a hot flash for hours now - thank god it's summer and the wind is blowing. Millions of MSFS-customers loading this on cold winter day - stress test for the power lines ...

Edited by Retnek
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, CanadaOne said:

sorry about the download direction. Is it worth doing over? I tried to be extra careful and make sure it found the NVME drive I bought just for this game.

I stopped the first install, uninstalled and started over, tried twice to get it to put the content into my drive with over 800gb free but it kept telling me it could not put it in that drive so I had to go with C in the end.

If anyone knows what the secret is to get that 90gb into my other drive I'm all ears lol!

1 minute ago, Trooper117 said:

I stopped the first install, uninstalled and started over, tried twice to get it to put the content into my drive with over 800gb free but it kept telling me it could not put it in that drive so I had to go with C in the end.

If anyone knows what the secret is to get that 90gb into my other drive I'm all ears lol!

I was given the choice right at the beginning when doing the initial download from the MS store, before getting to the 90Gb part, although it didn't pick up my drives and I had to manually select it.

2 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Under Windows > settings > storage , you should be able to select the drive where „windows apps“ are installed to. As soon as you, say, make it point to D:\ drive, there should be a (protected) folder called WindowsApps. Content should be installed there automatically.

5 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

I had to create a file on my E: drive so the DL had somewhere to go, but I chose that and it worked right away.

1 minute ago, 216th_Cat said:

I was given the choice right at the beginning when doing the initial download from the MS store, before getting to the 90Gb part, although it didn't pick up my drives and I had to manually select it.

Same here. Was able to set it manually during setup.

And there's an option Start -> Settings -> Apps -> MS FS -> "advanced options" -> (sroll down to) App add-ons ... -> MS FS Digital ownership -> Move
Maybe this has something to do with it, too. I put that onto my flight-sim-SSD, too.

I've kinda had it up (yes, I am Benny Hill) and now I've got it down but while it was up WOW!!!!!!!:dance: Now I need to go and lie down and/or set up my controls.

New Nvidia drivers with Flight Sim 2020 support released this morning too.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Loaded up and the Welcome Screen on the monitor. According to Task Manager:

CPU - 38%

Memory - 51%

Disk - 0%

Network - 0%

GPU - 100%

Power Usage - Very High

Power Usage Trend - Very High

What's that all about? It's a static screen waiting for input.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k @ 4.20GHz
Memory/RAM: 16GB DDR5
HDD: 240GB  SSD for Windows 10 Home 64-bit

HDD: 3TB HDD which is where FS2020 is

Video Card: GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
Monitor Resolution: 2560 x 1440 @144Hz

No joy for me here either after getting up in the middle of the night to kick it off.  It started off well but I'm disappointed with how little of it was loaded through Steam - just a launcher that installs, then takes over the main install download process from the Microsoft Store.  The Steam part worked great as expected, but the rest of the install through Microsoft just hung there all night at around 20% on the progress indicator.  

Sorry to see that several of us are having issues.