Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

Posted (edited)

So, what version are you guys buying. i see there are few versions available, with more planes and more cool shit.

Decisions....:scratch_one-s_head:

....too late. Premium Deluxe it is... .Downloading.....

I want to see my 1080Ti puke it's guts out, to boost my motivation for graphics card upgrade decisions.🤣

Edited by Jaws2002

17 minutes ago, Jaws2002 said:

So, what version are you guys buying. i see there are few versions available, with more planes and more cool shit.

Decisions....:scratch_one-s_head:

Still trying to decide myself. Given how much I've spent on sim software the last few months, I should probably consider doing the Gamepass thing, and save an actual decision for later. Except that since there seems no likelihood of me not buying it later, I might as well buy it now. Which then leaves me wondering whether the extras with the premium edition are worth it. I must admit to being a little disappointed to have to pay extra for a properly-modelled Heathrow (my local airport, though I don't suppose I'll fly from it that much), but there are a nice selection of further aircraft included. The Zlin Shock Ultra seems to have potential as a land-anywhere-but-take-your-time-getting-there explorer, and some of the other extra aircraft look pretty. I might even get around to trying out the Dreamliner, though I don't suppose I'll ever put in the sort of effort into learning it that the serious pretend-airliner-pilots put into it. I prefer my flying to have an element of surprise built in... 😀

Doesn't seem to be a great deal if info about regarding the Zlin Shock (no Wikipedia page), but there is a nice look around of a real one here:

A fine example of how to take a basic concept, and seeing how far it will go. Or, in this case, how slow. Zlin claim 17 mph minimum, one-up. Who needs Heathrow, when you can land in Tesco's car park...

• Like 1

I'm going with the 1 dollar option for a month, pretty good deal.

Zlin had some cool planes for a long time. I was watching them fly back in Romania, many years ago. Great company.  :good:

1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

Which then leaves me wondering whether the extras with the premium edition are worth it. I must admit to being a little disappointed to have to pay extra for a properly-modelled Heathrow (my local airport, though I don't suppose I'll fly from it that much), but there are a nice selection of further aircraft included. 

I'm going for the basic atm.  For heavy metal it's got the A320 and the Jumbo.  It's also got a float plane, a go anywhere plane and Cessnas.

For myself,  I think thats enough to be going on with.  If in the future the third runway at Heathrow gets the go-ahead and Boris lies in front of the bulldozers then I'm obviously going to want to upgrade to the deluxe version for the best view of the proceedings.

In that case I'm pretty sure they won't refuse my money:)

I found this pretty interesting....

• Haha 1

It'll be interesting to see how well it handles the sort of spin-testing I prefer. Don't just stall it, but as soon as it starts turning, feed in full rudder into and aileron out of the spin, to see if it will flatten out. If it does, I then have the added fun of trying to recover before AGL goes negative...

• Confused 1

Not supposed to be able to spin it, Dutch.2. Though people have managed to wreck a few, by doing stupid things at low level. Possibly because they knew it wouldn't spin.  

The Icon A5 has a rather controversial history, with the manufacturers making some bold claims, and with some very iffy clauses in sales contracts. It is an interesting aircraft, but not nearly as innovative as the sales puffery makes out. I'm sure I'll fly it in MSFS 2020, but given the choice of amphibian, I'd prefer a Sikorsky S-38, 💘 or a Republic Seabee, or even a Grumman Duck provided I wasn't obliged to look at it from outside.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

even a Grumman Duck provided I wasn't obliged to look at it from outside.

*sharp intake of breath!

*Clutches pearls!

*Faints

How very dare you! The duck is a lovely looking aircraft. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hoots said:

*sharp intake of breath!

*Clutches pearls!

*Faints

How very dare you! The duck is a lovely looking aircraft. 

From the inside,  whilst wearing a blindfold....

38 minutes ago, DD_fruitbat said:

From the inside,  whilst wearing a blindfold....

I’m  surrounded by philistines. Weirdos the lot of you. 

• Haha 1

The 2nd part of the MSFS setup tutorial that DD_Arthur linked above - this time covering control peripherals.

Looks fairly sensible and intuitive to use. Shame Microsoft can't do the same thing with their OS. 😉

• Upvote 2

Nice one Andy:salute:.  I like this guy's stuff.

It was whilst watching his IFR flight from Gib. to Majorca in the airbus that I realised the basic beans-on-toast version of FS2020 was going to be more than enough for me:biggrin:

5 hours ago, Hoots said:

I’m  surrounded by philistines. Weirdos the lot of you. 

$100 fine for calling someone a "Philistine" whilst not observing the rules of proper English writing. :big_boss:

340?cb=20190827062326

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I an starting to feel the need to buy this. I must resist

Bbbbbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuuuyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hoots said:

Bbbbbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuuuyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

You evil 😈 man. 
Seriously I might as well. I gonna buy it eventually. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Checklist items:

• Storage space set up - SSD if possible, and I'm planning on +200GB minimum (actually 700MB available for where my install will happen)
  • For Steam users, that includes setting up an additional Steam library if there isn't one already on the partition you want it to go on, and making that the default Steam library at least for now, for when the download kicks off.
  • Set up a Microsoft account if you haven't already (I did this even though I am buying from Steam)
  • And then within that, set up an XBOX GamerTag as I think it will be needed for online flying, and it's also free, part of the Microsoft account you set up. Again although I'm buying it through Steam, this may be helpful and is just another thing not to have to worry about if and when it's needed.

Not sure if there's anything else on the list... oh except taking some time off from work after next week :)

Edited by Stoopy

4 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I an starting to feel the need to buy this. I must resist

Well, I've just gone and done it... could not stop myself, been watching videos from Froogle etc... I must be weak!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Stoopy said:

Checklist items:

• Storage space set up - SSD if possible, and I'm planning on +200GB minimum (actually 700MB available for where my install will happen)
  • For Steam users, that includes setting up an additional Steam library if there isn't one already on the partition you want it to go on, and making that the default Steam library at least for now, for when the download kicks off.
  • Set up a Microsoft account if you haven't already (I did this even though I am buying from Steam)
  • And then within that, set up an XBOX GamerTag as I think it will be needed for online flying, and it's also free, part of the Microsoft account you set up. Again although I'm buying it through Steam, this may be helpful and is just another thing not to have to worry about if and when it's needed.

Not sure if there's anything else on the list... oh except taking some time off from work after next week :)

Good point re the Steam library: I've got a spare 500 GB SSD I was intending to use for MSFS, and it will be simpler to install it there to start with, rather than move it, though Steam seems to usually manage the latter without too much difficulty. Assuming I buy via Steam rather than direct from MS. Frankly, I'm no great fan of either MS or Valve, so whether the latter gets a cut doesn't really come into it. Has anyone else got particular reasons to go one way rather than the other? 

47 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Well, I've just gone and done it... could not stop myself, been watching videos from Froogle etc... I must be weak!

We are all like sheep's in front of a wolf, 

absolutely nothing we can do, other than accept our faith 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

We are all like sheep's in front of a wolf, 

absolutely nothing we can do, other than accept our faith 

Our faith is flightsims, and eye candy be thy name.

I can't see how any of us could resist. It's the flightsim equivalent of a new Beatles album.

17 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Good point re the Steam library: I've got a spare 500 GB SSD I was intending to use for MSFS, and it will be simpler to install it there to start with, rather than move it, though Steam seems to usually manage the latter without too much difficulty. Assuming I buy via Steam rather than direct from MS. Frankly, I'm no great fan of either MS or Valve, so whether the latter gets a cut doesn't really come into it. Has anyone else got particular reasons to go one way rather than the other? 

There's 8 pages of speculation and discussion on AvSim and I'm sure on many other forums but the bottom line is people suspect the Steam install will be a little friendlier and easier to to navigate through the install folders versus the pain people say they've had with the Miscrosoft Store and how those installs get buried deep within Windows with cryptic folder names etc... Someone had started a poll on how many users were buying from either source and it was roughly 60% against 40% MS vs. Steam last I looked, but i think that has been deleted now (as the release draws near, there's been so much meltdown petty churlish arguing among the "adult" airline / non-combat simmers over there, it really makes you appreciate our "IL2 family" here... and AvSim is usually one of the 'better' civilian sim forums!)

But I digress....Asobo has stated that the user experience for either version will be identical.  But the bottom line is we just won't know specifics until Tuesday.  I went with Steam just out of my comfort level with it. 

• Upvote 1

A couple of squad mates who have bought it through MS have been able to ‘predownload’ it

Posted (edited)

I am still not sure which version to get .. maybe I´ll wait just a bit longer as there isn´t even an advantage in price for pre-ordering.

Does anyone know if FFB is supported?

Edited by 9./JG27golani79

I've talked myself into buying the Premium Deluxe edition so I can fly the Zlin hover-Cub, and land it in the Heathrow car park (or possibly, with a bit of wind, on top of the ATC tower). And gone with Steam, per Stoopy's comments above.

@9./JG27golani79. If you can't decide, I'd go with the Game Pass trial option. As for FFB, I don't think it is supported out of the box, though a quick Google suggests that third-party software may become available at some point.

• Upvote 1

Guess that´s what I´ll do - I just hope it will not be a problem if I wanna purchase it at a later point via Steam.

12 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

A couple of squad mates who have bought it through MS have been able to ‘predownload’ it

Yes, it is ready for download and install in the MS store.

Downloaders please keep us informed how your rig is running MS FS2020? 

Meanwhile I’m waiting for the RTX3080 and the FS2020 VR extension.  

Sod it!  Just 'done a Luse' and ordered the all singing, all dancing version.

A fool and his money, etc.........:)

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

A fool and his money, etc.........:)

Don’t do what I do, do what I say. 

I am throwing many hardworked hours away in stupid modules everywhere I do not use. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I am throwing many hardworked hours away in stupid modules everywhere I do not use. 

I can sympathise with that.

However, I am looking forward to 'going on holiday' in FS2020. First up, revisit the Cyclades in Greece. Or maybe the Lost Twin Lakes in the Bighorn Mountains. Or maybe Lake Naivasha if my rig is good enough for the flamingos... but eventually I'm going to the Outer Hebrides, where I should have been in June if it weren't for bloody Covid-19!!! Grrr. Somehow I don't think that FS2020 is going to be a wasted purchase for me. 😊

Edited by 216th_Cat

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, 216th_Cat said:

Somehow I don't think that FS2020 is going to be a wasted purchase for me. 😊

90 to 99% of it will depending on what pack you buy. 
I will explore Cod for a while, maybe upgrade to a Reverb 2 and buy fx 2020 with it. Or buy some serious gps panels from virtual flight. Then sitting there wondering afterward. All this for a couple of cessna flights a week. 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

90 to 99% of it will depending on what pack you buy. 
I will explore Cod for a while, maybe upgrade to a Reverb 2 and buy fx 2020 with it. Or buy some serious gps panels from virtual flight. Then sitting there wondering afterward. All this for a couple of cessna flights a week. 

Haha, not for me it won't. I bought just the basic pack because I have zero interest in most civilian aircraft and less than zero in long-haul commercial jets, so for me the scenery is everything. If that disappoints then I am up shit creek, but until it does I am likely to fly a Cessna or that Icon floatplane thing around the interesting-looking places of the world. Apart from that there'll still be time for the occasional crashing into you in BoX. 🍻

Edited by 216th_Cat

6 minutes ago, 216th_Cat said:

Haha, not for me it won't. I bought just the basic pack because I have zero interest in most civilian aircraft and less than zero in long-haul commercial jets, so for me the scenery is everything.

That describes me perfectly. X Cub and Savage Cub...is what I'll be in whilst tooling around the world. Starting with Ireland.

53 minutes ago, busdriver said:

That describes me perfectly. X Cub and Savage Cub...is what I'll be in whilst tooling around the world. Starting with Ireland.

I wish dead stick came before 2020. It might be all I need

I just want to fly a floatplane to camp.  Steam store looks to be down as of this minute though...