Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

2 hours ago, JimTM said:

Can you spin the C152 in MS FS 2020? I did my training in the C150 and C152 and spin training was part of the course (what fun!). My Just Flight C152 in X-Plane will not spin.

A C-152 Amigo!

I sure hope they're spinnable, from what I've heard from the new flight modeling they should be!  There were some aircraft that were carefully modeled in FSX that could emulate spins, the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon did a very believable spin.  

This is a young Stoopy in another life circa 1974.  13 years old with my flight instructor Jim (no relation I'm guessing?) and N6266T, located at O28, Willits-Ellis field in Northern California.   A really cool airport that sits on top of a hill overlooking the north of town - breathtaking takeoffs and motivation to avoid landing long when using the south runway.  Sadly, according to the FAA registry, 66 Tango was destroyed during an airport storm a few years ago.  Jim and I had some very exciting spin training with her.  Guess where my first flight in MFS20 is gonna be?  😄  

006.jpg

007.jpg

50 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Just to be precise, we practiced recovery from incipient spins, where we were expected to recover after 1 or 2 turns. My instructor demo'ed a 10 turn spin once so I could see how it developed.

Same here.  I remember watching the speedo wind up to 140 with the nose pointed almost straight down, and the cows in the field below us going around and around with the whole plane sounding like a Stuka siren.  Instructor was definitely not happy with the development and told me it was a "graveyard spin" - only time he ever said anything close to being dramatic.  

She was a helluva gal, not a real looker but always willing to go...

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Just a good time, not a long time. I gave it up in '90 as I did not have the cash to spare to log a few hours every week and do recurring training with an instructor. I might have scraped by with an hour here and there, but that didn't seem like the safe thing to do.

You still know how things work, in this sense you haven‘t given up much. And there is often someone to be found who doesn‘t want to fly alone. Plus, think of it this way, you can still rent any plane you want to. You just do so along with renting a pilot. If you get to them to know that you know what you are doing, they will still hand you the controls for some part of the flight. I did that with renting a Spitfire. Life is too short not having fun. You are not limited anymore to specific aircraft types. You are just limited to what you find (just ask the internet!) and what your budget reasonably allows. But flying 1 time instead of ten times lets you rent an awfully more cool ride for the same cash. ;)

30 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

She was a helluva gal, not a real looker but always willing to go...

Nothing like learning to fly when you‘re young. It is then when you learn to feel the aircraft. With age comes too much thinking.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

I'd be really interested to learn how well MSFS 2020 models spins. There was an early video showing one of the GA aircraft in what looked like a plausible spin, but it didn't really indicate much. Given the inclusion of several aerobatic aircraft, it would be a real pity if they haven't made the effort to get it somewhere close. Modelling high-alpha post-stall behaviour is difficult,  but we know it can be done.

Best I've seen is indicated at the 8 minute mark in this video.  It may be the video you were already referring to. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, DetCord12B said:

I'm A320 qualed, via the sims at least.

When we get shared-cockpit, anyone up for a short ride?

Only if it is a bomber.  😀

Microsoft billed me for my Pre Order today, so looks like they are going to put it out on schedule.