Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

2 hours ago, JimTM said:

Can you spin the C152 in MS FS 2020? I did my training in the C150 and C152 and spin training was part of the course (what fun!). My Just Flight C152 in X-Plane will not spin.

A C-152 Amigo!

I sure hope they're spinnable, from what I've heard from the new flight modeling they should be!  There were some aircraft that were carefully modeled in FSX that could emulate spins, the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon did a very believable spin.  

This is a young Stoopy in another life circa 1974.  13 years old with my flight instructor Jim (no relation I'm guessing?) and N6266T, located at O28, Willits-Ellis field in Northern California.   A really cool airport that sits on top of a hill overlooking the north of town - breathtaking takeoffs and motivation to avoid landing long when using the south runway.  Sadly, according to the FAA registry, 66 Tango was destroyed during an airport storm a few years ago.  Jim and I had some very exciting spin training with her.  Guess where my first flight in MFS20 is gonna be?  😄  

006.jpg

007.jpg

50 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Just to be precise, we practiced recovery from incipient spins, where we were expected to recover after 1 or 2 turns. My instructor demo'ed a 10 turn spin once so I could see how it developed.

Same here.  I remember watching the speedo wind up to 140 with the nose pointed almost straight down, and the cows in the field below us going around and around with the whole plane sounding like a Stuka siren.  Instructor was definitely not happy with the development and told me it was a "graveyard spin" - only time he ever said anything close to being dramatic.  

She was a helluva gal, not a real looker but always willing to go...

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Just a good time, not a long time. I gave it up in '90 as I did not have the cash to spare to log a few hours every week and do recurring training with an instructor. I might have scraped by with an hour here and there, but that didn't seem like the safe thing to do.

You still know how things work, in this sense you haven‘t given up much. And there is often someone to be found who doesn‘t want to fly alone. Plus, think of it this way, you can still rent any plane you want to. You just do so along with renting a pilot. If you get to them to know that you know what you are doing, they will still hand you the controls for some part of the flight. I did that with renting a Spitfire. Life is too short not having fun. You are not limited anymore to specific aircraft types. You are just limited to what you find (just ask the internet!) and what your budget reasonably allows. But flying 1 time instead of ten times lets you rent an awfully more cool ride for the same cash. ;)

30 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

She was a helluva gal, not a real looker but always willing to go...

Nothing like learning to fly when you‘re young. It is then when you learn to feel the aircraft. With age comes too much thinking.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

I'd be really interested to learn how well MSFS 2020 models spins. There was an early video showing one of the GA aircraft in what looked like a plausible spin, but it didn't really indicate much. Given the inclusion of several aerobatic aircraft, it would be a real pity if they haven't made the effort to get it somewhere close. Modelling high-alpha post-stall behaviour is difficult,  but we know it can be done.

Best I've seen is indicated at the 8 minute mark in this video.  It may be the video you were already referring to. 

• Thanks 2

I'm A320 qualed, via the sims at least.

When we get shared-cockpit, anyone up for a short ride?

5 hours ago, DetCord12B said:

I'm A320 qualed, via the sims at least.

When we get shared-cockpit, anyone up for a short ride?

Only if it is a bomber.  😀

• Haha 1

Microsoft billed me for my Pre Order today, so looks like they are going to put it out on schedule.

It seems MS Flight sim is on the verge of release .....  Microsoft Flight Simulator Available August 18, 2020 with xbox beta version.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/microsoft-flight-simulator?irgwc=1&OCID=AID2000142_aff_7593_10078&tduid=(ir__9stevjnedckft03gkk0sohz3ze2xil61mf9dhmfr00)(7593)(10078)(theverge.com)(66960X1514734Xac57fea11e62f8d7e38493d3f3edc501)&irclickid=_9stevjnedckft03gkk0sohz3ze2xil61mf9dhmfr00

I tried several other flight sims, and none appealed to me more that IL2 Great Battles sofar .....

Even Tobruk recently is just not up to GB standards, although i really appreciate what the ATAG Tem Fusion guys have come up with.

Opinions?

Edited by jollyjack

If you have the money to blow and the SSD to store it, why not? But as a general rule one always has to remember:

4azafc.jpg

I'd hazard a guess most opinions will be posted in that thread:

I’m not biting for this title. Not anytime soon anyways. Since Microsoft isn't producing it I hold out hope through all the hype that Asobo can release something superior to what Microsoft would usually push out in order to simply meet their stated release date.

My rig is pushing 6 years old now and although with the 1080ti and the i7 it holds it own pretty well on all my gaming titles I think it’s starting to show its age some. I’ve seen the videos posted that look beautiful with MSFS2020, but on some vids the stutters are definitely present (although I have no clue as to what it’s being run on) so I tend to think with full-on sliders to the right and full AI traffic, the weather graphics, etc. it would really tax my current system.

My plan on waiting is three fold;

1. We’re getting FIOS here next spring and since it’s bandwidth dependent in so far as scenery goes, that’ll be a big improvement over our current cable         when it happens.
2. Waiting to see how the new 3xxx series nVidia graphics cards stack up in performance when they come out along with new generation Intel chips.

3. By the time I build my new rig most of the bugs should be ironed out and third party devs will be out in force with their wares.

I will say as soon as I got wind of this endeavor investing anything into XPlane came to a screeching halt. 

I'm a Day One download ready-for-drinking-and-flying and going to bed late pre-order customer. 

I want the whole planet!  :pilot:

Edit: Was just at the ORBX site and they already have six or seven airports and scenery packages ready to go at or soon after launch on the 18th. Prices are from $8 to $13. 

Interesting. 

Edited by CanadaOne
  • Upvote 2

Think I'm gonna hold off until the Holidays, let them work out the bugs and maybe buy it in a Steam Sale or with extra dlc by then. I have enough flight sims to keep me busy until then :)

1 hour ago, BornToBattle said:

My rig is pushing 6 years old now and although with the 1080ti and the i7 it holds it own pretty well on all my gaming titles I think it’s starting to show its age some. I’ve seen the videos posted that look beautiful with MSFS2020, but on some vids the stutters are definitely present (although I have no clue as to what it’s being run on) so I tend to think with full-on sliders to the right and full AI traffic, the weather graphics, etc. it would really tax my current system.

A lot of the stutters in videos are due to recording software impacting. One guy switched from OBS to Shadow Play and the stutters went away though he does have a strong rig:

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Tektolnes said:

A lot of the stutters in videos are due to recording software impacting. One guy switched from OBS to Shadow Play and the stutters went away though he does have a strong rig:

Ah! Okay. Thanks for the info! Never considered that aspect of it!

Great video BTW. I’ve got to say I'm still always amazed that this thing looks as good as it does right out of the box. I guess come the 18th is where the rubber will really meet the road - or tarmac that is.

Edited by BornToBattle

Where is 737? I've search for info but i can't find anything about this decision to take out the 737. Is because of "Max"?

Airbus is fine but i would like have also at least the 737-800.

3 hours ago, 150GCT_Veltro said:

Where is 737? I've search for info but i can't find anything about this decision to take out the 737. Is because of "Max"?

Airbus is fine but i would like have also at least the 737-800.

Probably not part of the default plane list as PDMG are doing the 737 NG3.

One week to go.  I have a 1TB SSD drive that just arrived, waiting to go in my system, and I will set it up as an install target for Steam so this new sim will install there, and that will be where all the scenery caching happens as well, so it won't be constantly banging away on my HDD and load times will be decent.  I'll also migrate IL2 and VTOL VR there this weekend since it should be plenty of room.

5 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

One week to go.  I have a 1TB SSD drive that just arrived, waiting to go in my system, and I will set it up as an install target for Steam so this new sim will install there, and that will be where all the scenery caching happens as well, so it won't be constantly banging away on my HDD and load times will be decent.  I'll also migrate IL2 and VTOL VR there this weekend since it should be plenty of room.

Scenery caching? What is that?

6 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

One week to go

First time I havent jumped right away into something. 
I just do not have the time. I can only fly one thing. Now it is cod. DCS and GB has been weeks since I touched. 
I will possibly join in at some point 

1 hour ago, Tektolnes said:

Probably not part of the default plane list as PDMG are doing the 737 NG3.

I didn't konw that, thank for reply.

Another Cessna 150 fan chiming in -- it's what I trained in until covid hit. No local instructors anymore so.... bit of a holding pattern @10 hours now. Ground school is done though :). Looking forward to finding some cool places to mark for later real-life flights once I get back into the swing of things :).

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

Scenery caching? What is that?

Something we don't have in IL2. 😁

The satellite-enhanced scenery data that will be streaming from the Microsoft cloud servers as you fly, which is a major feature of this release.  The higher your settings, the more data you will be pulling in and writing to the game folder (caching).   Microsoft lists the ideal system as using SSD drives for this, due to the performance benefits.   With a lot of data streaming, I also wanted to segregate that away from my main storage (spinning media) drive just to keep it neatly separated.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

The satellite-enhanced scenery data that will be streaming from the Microsoft cloud servers as you fly, which is a major feature of this release.  The higher your settings, the more data you will be pulling in and writing to the game folder (caching).   Microsoft lists the ideal system as using SSD drives for this, due to the performance benefits.   With a lot of data streaming, I also wanted to segregate that away from my main storage (spinning media) drive just to keep it neatly separated.

Thanks! This is a user-configurable location in the sim?

2 hours ago, Stoopy said:

I'm curious if there will be an option to download the scenery for specific regions so you don't have to stream it. 

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

I'm curious if there will be an option to download the scenery for specific regions so you don't have to stream it. 

I think that’s part of scenery cache too; the ability to store regions you are specifically interested in for offline flying.  

• Upvote 1

Seems that there are lots of settings for the data consumption, watch from about the 17:12 mark in this video:

Edited by Stoopy

Looks great... But I fear it is also the answer to the question of how to get a vanilla flight sim install that can do 30 fps on your rig down to 5 fps. ORBX is great at that.

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

Looks great... But I fear it is also the answer to the question of how to get a vanilla flight sim install that can do 30 fps on your rig down to 5 fps. ORBX is great at that.

Yeah, but they do make some really nice stuff. 

6 hours ago, DetCord12B said:

Orbx is dropping day one and post-release content.

London City.

London 3D objects pack.

Innsbruck! One of my favorites from P3D.

And many others - https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/198113-first-products-announced-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/#

Jesus! My PC is pretty good but if I get close to that level of detail I will be the happiest guy around.

1 minute ago, jollyjack said:

Any Damage modeling examples 😉?

There isn't DM.
If you "crash", you will get a black screen and restart/return to main many options only.

The approach to London City Airport is always astonishing and also demonstrates how daft is the siting of our capital's major airports.  If one of these things ever goes down on approach to here or Heathrow it'll be like the freakin' Titanic!:nea:

Edited by DD_Arthur
  • Upvote 1

If you look at History Channel there are quite a few sometimes well done  crash animations. Always thought they were form MS Flight Sim.

Just now, jollyjack said:

If you look at History Channel there are quite a few sometimes well done  crash animations. Always thought they were form MS Flight Sim.

Funny, I always thought they looked more like some variation of IL-2!    😁

• Upvote 1

Had a look at the Orbx link and they'll be offering a 40% discount to people who've previously bought their stuff for FSX.  That's a pretty good deal and I think a very nice act of good faith to their existing customers.

You've gotta' feel for the X-Plane guy though........:(

Edit;  Oh yeah - my eldest son's twenty-fifth birthday present from his GF; an hour in this motion simulator.  Touch and go at Innsbruck in FSX.  The 'captain' is a retired BA first officer who sank part of his pension into having this simulator built and started his own business offering simulator experiences. My son really rated this day!

Edited by DD_Arthur
  • Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

You've gotta' feel for the X-Plane guy though........:(

Still $72.99Cdn. on Steam. And then there are the 1001 add-ons at full price. I just can't see who is gonna pay that. 

If you get P3D and all the ORBX global products - no airports or regions -  it's over $500. FS2020 looks to be significantly better for $80.

There will have to be some price adjustments.