Jump to content
Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

 

Does Steam actually chew on your performance?

 

 

 

Honestly, it is such a small footprint that it is negligible - go look at your process manager to see the actual client's impact on memory and cpu for your system. I wouldn't at all be worried unless you were bare minimum specs. Lots of other apps that people often have running take far more of a toll.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Does Steam actually chew on your performance?

 

In most cases, the CPU and RAM usage is negligible.

 

Nevertheless, I still try to avoid Steam and all other publishers that require Steam-like clients. I find it insulting that I can't install software without unwanted background processes, advertising, or "social" features.

 

I really respect the relatively few publishers that do provide alternatives that let me just buy the game and play it without the additional client garbage.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very scared right now about the minimum specs.

 

Actually I have a 4 years old gaming laptop with GTX 960m and core i5 7th gen. I'm not making minimum specs for Il2 and DCS World, but I still run them at high setting 1080p at 30fps.

Now I saw some comparisons with low settings to ultra settings for Flight Simulator and at low it looks very bad. Maybe better than FSX in some ways, but building just popping up or clouds that looks unrealistic... Even Il2 and DCS look better. I'm not sure what to do.

Option 1 : Try it with Gamepass and see if I can run at medium-high 30fps.

Option 2 : Wait a year before buying a new system

 

I try not to change system too often for environmental reasons and I prefer laptop for flexibility over desktop... Also don't have space for a monitor or it would be a very tinny monitor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

 

In most cases, the CPU and RAM usage is negligible.

 

Nevertheless, I still try to avoid Steam and all other publishers that require Steam-like clients. I find it insulting that I can't install software without unwanted background processes, advertising, or "social" features.

 

I really respect the relatively few publishers that do provide alternatives to just buy the game and play it without the additional client garbage.

 

I have to admit that Steam has been (mostly) nice to me. And as mentioned, the MS site treated me like a criminal just for trying to buy the game. Steam took my money right away and I just have to wait for the download.

 

The company that tells me they'll take my money and give me what I want... will get my money. Microsoft failed and Steam won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if initially I was also diffident and against being forced in using it I have to admit that I was totally wrong.

You can fully customise it following your preferences, you are not forced to be part of some/any group/social community nor you are forced to have a friend list at all and you can chose between being online or using the offline modality ( or rather exactly the same as having the non Steam game ). Easy to download almost any game you may think of and especially, no unwanted advertising of any kind.

Never got a single problem from when I've stated using it years ago.

Fully safe and not annoying under any possible immaginable form.

At least this is what I have experienced so far.

 

My vote 9 out of 10

 

( Why 9 and not 10? Because I'm a bit nostalgic and I really like that era when you had on your shelf the various solid copies/boxes of the games. That's the only thing I miss in respect to the downloadable version. It's like the difference between a real book and a PDF of it...You can't smell the scent of the pages of the book with the PDF... )

 

Salute!

Edited by SKG_210_Belial
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of whether you like Steam as a distributor or not (and there are certainly valid opinions on both sides) - the main negative imho is they take too large a cut of the sales, however among the numerous pros, I will say that there are small studios and indies that have had a chance to get their games noticed and out there that never would have been able to before (I thoroughly enjoy many of these titles).

🙂

Edited by Redwo1f
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just found out it's included with Xbox game pass on pc which got, so I'll try it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

Regardless of whether you like Steam as a distributor or not (and there are certainly valid opinions on both sides) - the main negative imho is they take too large a cut of the sales, however among the numerous pros, I will say that there are small studios and indies that have had a chance to get their games noticed and out there that never would have been able to before (I thoroughly enjoy many of these titles).

🙂

 

True dat! I bought Universe Sandbox and Space Engine only because I saw them on Steam.

 

Saw a great FS2020 video yesterday showing different cities in North America, and I can vouch for Montreal (at 11:00) being really good.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some serious 3D action when he's climbing the sides of the buildings. Amazing detail!

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

Some serious 3D action when he's climbing the sides of the buildings. Amazing detail!

 

 

Amazing. Now we need a helicopter asap to fly in Manhattan! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

Amazing. Now we need a helicopter asap to fly in Manhattan! 

Just take one of the Cubs. Not that different, really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Saw a great FS2020 video yesterday showing different cities in North America, and I can vouch for Montreal (at 11:00) being really good.

 

 

Saw it yesterday also.

I was already impressed how DCS created Las Vegas but this is beyond believe.

 

But Washington D.C. has some flaws: The Washington Monument, an obelisk, turned into a very tall skyscraper, The underlying texture shows its original 2D image + shadow. Together with the shadow of the skyscraper it has two shadows now. :biggrin:

In some places houseblocks and other buildings in Washington D.C. are nothing more than 3D grey blocks. As you can see from 37min 25 seconds.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have any of these guys putting up videos mentioned their system specs at all? I know Microsoft have published the ‘official’ requirements but I’d be interested to hear from actual users.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was introduced to Steam when I bought Empire Total War. Was not happy but since then ok with Steam. Introduced to stuff I probably would have never seen.

 

Its been said MS Flight Sims often are designed to take into account the projected hardware that will become available in the future, so it won’t run smoothly at the highest levels with everything turned up to max with current hardware available. 
 

Find out soon. 
 

Cities look great and they plan on updating and adding more. 
 

waiting for when cities will have traffic jams and people milling about like the city building sims.

1 minute ago, DD_Arthur said:

Have any of these guys putting up videos mentioned their system specs at all? I know Microsoft have published the ‘official’ requirements but I’d be interested to hear from actual users.

There are YouTube videos with graphical comparisons and specs

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tiger_0988 said:

I was introduced to Steam when I bought Empire Total War. Was not happy but since then ok with Steam. Introduced to stuff I probably would have never seen.

 

Its been said MS Flight Sims often are designed to take into account the projected hardware that will become available in the future, so it won’t run smoothly at the highest levels with everything turned up to max with current hardware available. 
 

Find out soon. 
 

Cities look great and they plan on updating and adding more. 
 

waiting for when cities will have traffic jams and people milling about like the city building sims.

There are YouTube videos with graphical comparisons and specs

Also I read an article yesterday (Ars Technica maybe?) that said that one of the priorities before and just after release is performance. I don't remember where they saw the roadmap, but I specifically remember the author calling out performance issues but stating that they expect different results at release.

 

Edit: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/07/ms-flight-simulator-our-yoke-on-look-at-new-features-gorgeous-flights/3/

Edited by unlikely_spider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Also I read an article yesterday (Ars Technica maybe?) that said that one of the priorities before and just after release is performance. I don't remember where they saw the roadmap, but I specifically remember the author calling out performance issues but stating that they expect different results at release.

 

Edit: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/07/ms-flight-simulator-our-yoke-on-look-at-new-features-gorgeous-flights/3/

Wow seems like they have a lot of optimization work to do before release. I check off all the boxes for I deal specs with the exception of my CPU which is a 4 core I-6700K. Ill be using an LG 34UC89G running at 2560x1080. I also have a secondary monitor hooked up to my RTX2080 A Samsung 30 inch. I have a spare monitor stand arm so I could put a third monitor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks decent even at "Low", but quite the jump, imho, going up to "Medium" (I don't think I would have a hope at Ultra anyway). Here is a graphical comparison at various settings:

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Have any of these guys putting up videos mentioned their system specs at all? I know Microsoft have published the ‘official’ requirements but I’d be interested to hear from actual users.

 

I bought an 8-core 3700X just for this. I hope it works. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2020 at 6:06 PM, DD_Arthur said:

Can none of these preview guys land their planes?:(

 

Finally, here's a reviewer who can grease it on properly and doesn't just plank the thing onto the runway as if he's doing a carrier landing at night in a thunderstorm and 40-foot swells.  Gets a nice little chirp from the tires @11:41 too.

 

Oh, it's also a well-produced video, as are many of this particular YouTuber's efforts, with a great walk-through of many of the menus. 

 

 

I'm also REALLY trying not to watch and post about every preview out there, because right now there are so many, there won't be anything new to see when the sim finally releases!

 

But this is a pretty good video going over all the graphic setting options.  And I'm pretty encouraged by this since my system is very similar if just a tick better than the system used in this video (Win10, i7 4790K, Nvidia 1660ti, 32Gb RAM).  I think the "High" settings will do me just fine. :)

 

 

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow very impressive. Sloped runways, reflections and lighting. Exciting stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent Stoopy!:salute:

 

Release in twelve days?  I wonder if they'll be any real 747's still carrying passengers by then.......:huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stoopy said:

 

Finally, here's a reviewer who can grease it on properly and doesn't just plank the thing onto the runway as if he's doing a carrier landing at night in a thunderstorm and 40-foot swells.  Gets a nice little chirp from the tires @11:41 too.

 

Oh, it's also a well-produced video, as are many of this particular YouTuber's efforts, with a great walk-through of many of the menus.

 

I could've done without to 2+ minute electro music track intro...2 minutes! I think he said realistic several hundred times and his forced, fake radio voice makes me wanna stab ice picks in my ears. It's like trying to watch anything by ObsidianAnt.

 

"As you can see the world is modeled as planet earth" As opposed to what, Europa? Most of it feels like unrehearsed rambling with no direction. There is good info here and there but this one is chocked full of random filler.

 

Quote

I'm also REALLY trying not to watch and post about every preview out there, because right now there are so many, there won't be anything new to see when the sim finally releases!

 

But this is a pretty good video going over all the graphic setting options.  And I'm pretty encouraged by this since my system is very similar if just a tick better than the system used in this video (Win10, i7 4790K, Nvidia 1660ti, 32Gb RAM).  I think the "High" settings will do me just fine. :)

 

This one on the other hand is quite good. Thanks for this one!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DetCord12B said:

 

I could've done without to 2+ minute electro music track intro...2 minutes!

 

Sadly this seems to be par for the course with any YouTube content these days.  I automatically just punch ahead anywhere past the 1:00 mark for videos of this nature.    I teed up the video so it should have started around the 10:35 mark so you could just see the landing I was talking about, don't know if it worked for anyone but me... it was a sweet touchdown, I'll give him that...

 

8 hours ago, DetCord12B said:

"As you can see the world is modeled as planet earth" As opposed to what, Europa?

 

Ya'know, with so much satellite imagery of many bodies in our solar system available, Microsoft could just as easily build a virtual twin of any of them using this platform.  You could be on to something here.   Flying the X-Cub around Olympus Mons would make for some ultimate Martian bush flying!  😄

 

Edited by Stoopy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ordered the Premium Deluxe  version. I only have mediumcore PC, but i quess  my Ryzen 5 and GTX 1660Ti plus 16 gig ram i can run high settings...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Initially I just wanted to go with the basic version.... but alas.... pre ordered the version with extra cheese and stuff.... 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

Initially I just wanted to go with the basic version.... but alas.... pre ordered the version with extra cheese and stuff.... 😄

 

I have a feeling you are not alone in this... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uufflakke said:

Talking about details in MSF 2020.

Who would ever have thought to add flickering television sets in living rooms in a flight sim?

https://youtu.be/OUvRSstkSMQ?t=1528

 

Holy cow that's wild!

 

"They are repeated a little bit..."

 

Well of course, everyone's watching the same show!!  😄

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stoopy said:

 

Sadly this seems to be par for the course with any YouTube content these days.  I automatically just punch ahead anywhere past the 1:00 mark for videos of this nature.    I teed up the video so it should have started around the 10:35 mark so you could just see the landing I was talking about, don't know if it worked for anyone but me... it was a sweet touchdown, I'll give him that...

 

 

Ya'know, with so much satellite imagery of many bodies in our solar system available, Microsoft could just as easily build a virtual twin of any of them using this platform.  You could be on to something here.   Flying the X-Cub around Olympus Mons would make for some ultimate Martian bush flying!  😄

 

 I wonder what kind of resolution they need for their imagery and elevation data to work? That might be the limiting factor on what they can simulate. Something that looks gorgeous from high up might look like trash at 5000 feet if the resolution isn't fine enough. 

I'm not usually into civilian flight sims but TBH the only thing REALLY holding me back from just getting the basic version is the internet bandwidth requirement. On most days I can get up to 30 mpbs but there are definitely times when I dip below 5mbps, especially in the summer when the bloody cottagers are around chewing through Ye Olde Rural Internet Infrastructure. Streaming terrain data would probably choke out the kid's Youtubez and for that I would catch hell.

 

1 minute ago, Stoopy said:

 

Holy cow that's wild!

 

"They are repeated a little bit..."

 

Well of course, everyone's watching the same show!!  😄

 

Put the youtube review videos on the tv screens!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

Initially I just wanted to go with the basic version.... but alas.... pre ordered the version with extra cheese and stuff.... 😄

 

Good call.  Just from watching all the preview vids I can tell I'm starting to get sick of the G1000 and want a C172 with regular steam gauges for old-school IFR flight challenges.  Plus the 152 looks pretty cool for just knocking around in and since it's what a young Stoopy did his flight training in, I'm looking forward to the Aerobat version.

 

Although I hope someone comes up with an appropriately weathered and dirty livery for the C152, right now it is way too clean and pristine to live up to it's namesake as the "One Filthy Two". 

:)

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

 

Good call.  Just from watching all the preview vids I can tell I'm starting to get sick of the G1000 and want a C172 with regular steam gauges for old-school IFR flight challenges.  Plus the 152 looks pretty cool for just knocking around in and since it's what a young Stoopy did his flight training in, I'm looking forward to the Aerobat version.

 

Although I hope someone comes up with an appropriately weathered and dirty livery for the C152, right now it is way too clean and pristine to live up to it's namesake as the "One Filthy Two". 

:)

 

 

Can you spin the C152 in MS FS 2020? I did my training in the C150 and C152 and spin training was part of the course (what fun!). My Just Flight C152 in X-Plane will not spin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JimTM said:

 

Can you spin the C152 in MS FS 2020? I did my training in the C150 and C152 and spin training was part of the course (what fun!). My Just Flight C152 in X-Plane will not spin.

Huh. I've been considering a PPL, the main issue being my tendency to get motion sickness. This does not sound fun 🤢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be really interested to learn how well MSFS 2020 models spins. There was an early video showing one of the GA aircraft in what looked like a plausible spin, but it didn't really indicate much. Given the inclusion of several aerobatic aircraft, it would be a real pity if they haven't made the effort to get it somewhere close. Modelling high-alpha post-stall behaviour is difficult,  but we know it can be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only thing that's missing besides helos is gliders. They are one of my favorites to fly in FS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Huh. I've been considering a PPL, the main issue being my tendency to get motion sickness. This does not sound fun 🤢

 

I never had an issue with motion sickness as long as I was in control of the plane. That included stalls, spins, and some real elevator rides in moderate turbulence. Maybe go for a demo ride with an instructor and see how you tolerate it. Note that the C150/C152 will spin readily and safely so spins can be part of the course in those planes. In some other planes, spins are prohibited.

Edited by JimTM
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

I'd be really interested to learn how well MSFS 2020 models spins.

 

In a Robin, here‘s how it should look:

Spoiler

 

 

The idea of doing spin in a real DR400 freaks me out though. But revovery is swift, just kick the rudder. We can try if that works in the sim.

 

But it surely had to be modeled for each aircraft in the sim individually, as FM computation does not go post stall, ever, for any sim. We‘ll still have a mix of FM computation and tables. Same as FSX with its higher grade payware addons. I doubt that we have such for all stock aircraft. Some would even require specific commands such as „cabin crew, please move all PAX aft“.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JimTM said:

 

Can you spin the C152 in MS FS 2020? I did my training in the C150 and C152 and spin training was part of the course (what fun).

How long ago was this Jim? I know they teach spin awareness but I thought they gave up spin recovery training for ppl’s on both sides of the pond about three decades ago 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

How long ago was this Jim? I know they teach spin awareness but I thought they gave up spin recovery training for ppl’s on both sides of the pond about three decades ago 🤔

 

Waaayyy back in '75 and some brush-up training in '88. 

 

Just to be precise, we practiced recovery from incipient spins, where we were expected to recover after 1 or 2 turns. My instructor demo'ed a 10 turn spin once so I could see how it developed.

Edited by JimTM
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, unlikely_spider said:

Huh. I've been considering a PPL, the main issue being my tendency to get motion sickness. This does not sound fun 🤢

Being in control helps a great lot as @JimTM says. In twin seat gliders, it is even very much advisable to switch control at least every hour in flight, as if you really have to work for your altitude, almost anyone will get motion sickness at some point. The rest is getting used to it if you do more hours. Mölders had that as well.

 

You can try how you do if they pass you the controls and then let you fly circles and eights for some time. See how you fare then. Don‘t start with spins...

 

Edit: Just saw you fly for a long time. Still, many are not comfortable with such in the passenger seat. 

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Edit: Just saw you fly for a long time. Still, many are not comfortable with such in the passenger seat. 

 

Just a good time, not a long time. I gave it up in '90 as I did not have the cash to spare to log a few hours every week and do recurring training with an instructor. I might have scraped by with an hour here and there, but that didn't seem like the safe thing to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...