Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

Wow!!:biggrin:  That was recorded yesterday.  I think this is the first decent user-made footage I've seen. 

I take it this is the beta?  If so; yeah I can see a few anomalities but......it's sixty freakin' bucks.  I can see everyman and his dog getting this. 

• Upvote 1

The sleepless nights.

Trying to ignore the clock on a work night as it hits 1 am,  2 am, 3 am...oh the benders I'm gonna go on with this thing.

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2020 at 12:07 AM, DetCord12B said:

And a potential port COLAX fire was also present, though the sensors were melting we couldn't tell but knew because...

I speak fluent Airbus 319/320 but I've never heard of COLAX. Can't find it in my old company manuals. Two dozen lightning strikes and a dozen or so bird strikes in 27 years (8 on the Bus) none of which trashed/shelled/catastrophically damaged an engine.

32 minutes ago, busdriver said:

I've never heard of COLAX. Can't find it in my old company manuals

Try a chemist. Apparently, it's made from aloe vera, and is a cure for 'digestive discomfort'. Though having your 'bus struck by lightning would probably have similar effects... 😉

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Though having your 'bus struck by lightning would probably have similar effects

It's really loud when it strikes the radome...and you involuntarily scream like a little girl utter the F-bomb. :o:

Edited by busdriver
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2020 at 3:25 PM, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I rather spend time with Tobruk than too much on 2020 until trackir at least are implemented you see TrackIr is addictive.

There's a workaround available for TrackIR:

:drinks:

Mike

• Upvote 1

I know they said that they're doing a mod marketplace but are there any details/resources on modding yet? Like poly count limits for aircraft?

Anyone here get chosen for the beta invites that they were supposed to give out today? I was hoping to be picked 😞

My blood pressure was raised for a split second when I received an email earlier today with a subject line that began with the word Microsoft, but it was just the weekly report of my son's activity on his Windows profile on the family PC 🤬

• Haha 1

TrackIR is being supported in the last alpha version according to a tester! Oh boy!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

That's great news about TrackIR. I could accept other limitations & things missing at this point of development but I really felt no TrackIR was going to grate on my enjoyment of the game. Roll on the 18th!

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 10:01 PM, unlikely_spider said:

Anyone here get chosen for the beta invites that they were supposed to give out today? I was hoping to be picked 😞

My blood pressure was raised for a split second when I received an email earlier today with a subject line that began with the word Microsoft, but it was just the weekly report of my son's activity on his Windows profile on the family PC 🤬

LOL... same here! 

ahhh. that goddamn fella spent 50 hours on Rainbow 6 siege! I've got to have a chat with him.... 😄

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2020 at 10:49 AM, LizLemon said:

I know they said that they're doing a mod marketplace but are there any details/resources on modding yet? Like poly count limits for aircraft?

I hope A2A and Captain Sim try to port their products to FS2020! Will it be possible though...?

• Upvote 1

Now a spitfire and mustang, i would be interested in sight seeing in.

On 7/25/2020 at 6:42 AM, SeaW0lf said:

TrackIR is being supported in the last alpha version according to a tester! Oh boy!

Indeed. Game changer!

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 11:05 PM, busdriver said:

I speak fluent Airbus 319/320 but I've never heard of COLAX. Can't find it in my old company manuals. Two dozen lightning strikes and a dozen or so bird strikes in 27 years (8 on the Bus) none of which trashed/shelled/catastrophically damaged an engine.

COck-Legs-And-eXtremities. Basically burning alive in the Pit.

On 7/25/2020 at 6:42 AM, SeaW0lf said:

Not exactly in the last alpha, but yesterday's Beta indeed introduced official TrackIR support.

Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

On 7/26/2020 at 9:29 AM, DD_fruitbat said:

Now a spitfire and mustang, i would be interested in sight seeing in.

Yeah, not so fussed about the aerostar but some of the other accusim aircraft i would get in a heartbeat. They're amazing creations.

The A2A experience I had in FSX even beats DCS minus weapons. I would immediately repurchase the A2A Warbirds for MSFS 2020. 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2020 at 3:33 AM, ZachariasX said:

A2A certainly will and you probably get the Aerostar first...

https://a2asimulations.com/a2a-simulations-fs2020-p3d-and-the-aerostar/

Hmm. ... while I am happy that they have picked up FS2020 to keep making products for it, then again, I was a bit puzzled by all the carefully chosen wording regarding "porting" versus "new products", under the notion of exploring all the potential that the new game offers. Of course I am all into that, but does that also mean that the old planes won't be upgraded to FS2020 since they relate to an 'older potential' and would have to be redone from scratch all over again? See, I love that constellation they came up with. It was one of the best things ever for FS. Is all that work forfeit? Can they do new graphics or update the older ones, add all this new potential they talked about, and have a new product in, say, a year's time or so? Or is it gone for good, save for completelly developing a new one on the course of the next decade? 

I don't mind paying for it all over again, its more than fair, but it would sadden me if overhauling/bringing back the texan, the 377 etc was seen as an unworthy effort. 

EDIT: still, I was left optimistic. The aerostar seems to be a test project of sorts. They are seeing what they can do with the new sim, and following the areostar we can expect more stuff, quicker. Or so I understood the gist of the message.

Edited by danielprates

Posted (edited)

I just wish RealAir was still in the FS development game.  A2A is nice and all to be sure, but the RealAir stuff like their Turbine Duke, Lancair Legacy and Super Decathlon/Citabria/Scout trilogy had a great feel and sexiness all their own that would be extremely pleasurable to fly in this new environment.  

Edited by Stoopy

6 hours ago, danielprates said:

I was a bit puzzled by all the carefully chosen wording regarding "porting" versus "new products",

They need to port the Accusim technology to FS2020. From what I have read, I think there is a legacy mode that allows FSX modules work in FS2020, but native software is definitely better, hencethey need to adjust code.

8 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

They need to port the Accusim technology to FS2020. From what I have read, I think there is a legacy mode that allows FSX modules work in FS2020, but native software is definitely better, hencethey need to adjust code.

Yup.

What I meant is, maybe they are thinking about not porting anything, and only developing new stuff from now on. If so, that would be terrible.

1 minute ago, danielprates said:

What I meant is, maybe they are thinking about not porting anything, and only developing new stuff from now on. If so, that would be terrible.

I‘d be surprised if they wouldn‘t port to FS2020 that they ported for P3Dv4/5.

Posted (edited)

Hey Ho, here's some interesting news for Steam and VR users.  Nice way to start the day I think.  Although the article references only the HP Reverb G2 specifically, I would be surprised if other WMR Steam VR headsets aren't supported.  Thoughts on that? 

Microsoft Flight Simulator to Launch on Steam on August 18; TrackIR and VR Supported:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/30/microsoft-flight-simulator-steam-track-ir-and-vr-support/

Just verified it's listed in the Steam store for Aug 18 availability and added it to my wishlist, although pricing and version options aren't listed yet.  I was an FSX user from day one with the CD box set, but later got the Steam version of FSX (when it went on sale for dirt cheap) and was just as happy with it if not happier from an install standpoint.   And no difference that I could ever tell in ability to add  tweaks and mods.   

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Hey Ho, here's some interesting news for Steam and VR users.  Nice way to start the day I think.  Although the article references only the HP Reverb G2 specifically, I would be surprised if other WMR Steam VR headsets aren't supported.  Thoughts on that? 

Microsoft Flight Simulator to Launch on Steam on August 18; TrackIR and VR Supported:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/30/microsoft-flight-simulator-steam-track-ir-and-vr-support/

Just verified it's listed in the Steam store for Aug 18 availability and added it to my wishlist, although pricing and version options aren't listed yet.  I was an FSX user from day one with the CD box set, but later got the Steam version of FSX (when it went on sale for dirt cheap) and was just as happy with it if not happier from an install standpoint.   And no difference that I could ever tell in ability to add  tweaks and mods.   

These are excellent news! I've pre-ordered on MS, but just canceled it and will purchase via Steam. 

Same history like Yours. FSX on disc at day one and later on Steam. So convenient! 

Track IR on day one and VR support later this year definitely made my day!! 

Edited by Blooddawn1942

Thanks...

Now I have to buy...

And how shall I explain that to my wife? ^^

Thanks for the info!

Posted (edited)

The current build has an update system within the game. So after you start the game it will look for updates. I wonder how the Steam version will work? I'm not sure if a Steam version will be more convenient from update perspective. It depends how Steam will/can implement this. If anyone has more info I would like to know..

Also, there doesn't seem to be a discount for pre-ordering? So I can also wait until it has been released?

Edited by SYN_Vander

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Eisenfaustus said:

Thanks...

Now I have to buy...

And how shall I explain that to my wife? ^^

Years ago in another life (early 1980's) I worked in a computer store and at that time, it was THE place to go to buy games for your Commodore 64 or IBM PC etc.  We had lots of regular customers as a result.

So every two weeks like clockwork this particular couple would come in on a Friday night, the husband was on the younger side and the wife a bit older.  He loaded up on games every time and the wife would pay.  They were friendly and talkative, and it turned out their situation was the wife was the breadwinner and the hubby stayed home.  And the wife would always say the same thing to us at the register as she whipped out her credit card:  "It keeps him out of the bars".  

I have no idea how the husband got her to think and act like that so consistently, but we all worshipped him as the ultimate role model.   I've tried the same line on Frau Stoopy but apparently it only works if the words are spoken by the female. 

Edited by Stoopy
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SYN_Vander said:

The current build has an update system within the game. So after you start the game it will look for updates. I wonder how the Steam version will work? I'm not sure if a Steam version will be more convenient from update perspective. It depends how Steam will/can implement this. If anyone has more info I would like to know..

Also, there doesn't seem to be a discount for pre-ordering? So I can also wait until it has been released?

Steam has a pretty solid and painless update process (IL2 updates reportedly are available slightly prior to the ones from the 1CGS servers, so I've heard, and I've always been able to go install and fly new updates on the day they are announced here) and aside from that, the software versions are meant to be identical, not some type of special build that has features removed or functionalities deprecated.  So any built-in, internal auto-update process should still be there, is my expectation.    I'd also expect the built-in marketplace to function the same as the non-Steam version.  I'd be very surprised if MS foregoes that revenue stream just to get this on Steam.

EDIT:  Pricing details seem to have been added just recently:

Pre-Purchase Regular Version MSFS:  $59.99

Pre-Purchase Deluxe Bundle MSFS:  $89.99

Pre-Purchase Premium Deluxe Bundle MSFS:  $119.99

Nevertheless I am sure some here will look down at the Steam version as having cooties of some sort and that's OK too, we all have to be comfortable with our purchases and a good deal is only a state of mind anyway. 

Edited by Stoopy

1 hour ago, Stoopy said:

I have no idea how the husband got her to think and act like that so consistently, but we all worshipped him as the ultimate role model.   I've tried the same line on Frau Stoopy but apparently it only works if the words are spoken by the female. 

The training went the other way around bro! Sugar momma was getting exactly what she wanted when she spoiled her man!

The trick is to find the confluence of your desires (NOT A EUPHEMISM) and get your sim gear in the back door that way (ALSO NOT A EUPHEMISM). A new, bigger, better monitor is totally justifiable when it will give my wife extra screen space for graphic design + reference pics + pinterest at the same time. 

If I can just get her to somehow use rudder pedals to do photo editing I can stealth my way into some crosswinds. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

The trick is to find the confluence of your desires (NOT A EUPHEMISM) and get your sim gear in the back door that way (ALSO NOT A EUPHEMISM). A new, bigger, better monitor is totally justifiable when it will give my wife extra screen space for graphic design + reference pics + pinterest at the same time. 

For a wife who seems interested in photography (nudge nudge, wink wink) it might even be feasible to get her interested in viewing those pictures (could be taken on holiday, could be) via some type of head set (he said knowingly) and voila, you can both engage in VR antics and activities (whhoooaaaa... right? Whhoooaaa!!!) in addition to handling those crosswinds!  

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

For a wife who seems interested in photography (nudge nudge, wink wink) it might even be feasible to get her interested in viewing those pictures (could be taken on holiday, could be) via some type of head set (he said knowingly) and voila, you can both engage in VR antics and activities (whhoooaaaa... right? Whhoooaaa!!!) in addition to handling those crosswinds!  

😁

It's more graphic design than photos. She's responsible for my  hyper-realistic avatar forum avatar (my head really is that big). Once we get the Hurricane in-game it will only increase in realism.

5 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Steam has a pretty solid and painless update process (IL2 updates reportedly are available slightly prior to the ones from the 1CGS servers, so I've heard, and I've always been able to go install and fly new updates on the day they are announced here) and aside from that, the software versions are meant to be identical, not some type of special build that has features removed or functionalities deprecated.  So any built-in, internal auto-update process should still be there, is my expectation.    I'd also expect the built-in marketplace to function the same as the non-Steam version.  I'd be very surprised if MS foregoes that revenue stream just to get this on Steam.

EDIT:  Pricing details seem to have been added just recently:

Pre-Purchase Regular Version MSFS:  $59.99

Pre-Purchase Deluxe Bundle MSFS:  $89.99

Pre-Purchase Premium Deluxe Bundle MSFS:  $119.99

Nevertheless I am sure some here will look down at the Steam version as having cooties of some sort and that's OK too, we all have to be comfortable with our purchases and a good deal is only a state of mind anyway. 

I was having trouble on the MS site so I'm happy to get it on Steam. Gonna pre-order today.

1 hour ago, Stoopy said:

Interesting preview, I like most of what I'm hearing, and would expect it isn't perfect out of the gate:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/30/microsofts-new-flight-simulator-is-a-beautiful-work-in-progress/

And unrelated to the article, a rather nice preview video:

That is some mighty sweet eye candy! :)

This thing will be chewing up my flight time for quite a while. Really happy I upgraded for this, it looks like it will be worth it. I have a buddy running X-plane on three screens and I got totally envious. I'll have to test the performance and see if I could do three screens, though I think not. Actually, he has five screens; three up front, a small touch sensitive screen below for his panel, and an iPad showing ATC. And he has a Stream Deck custom button thing that I would love to have, but it's $359. That's a bit much.

Anyway, bought it on Steam and now there's nothing to do but wait.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Anyway, bought it on Steam and now there's nothing to do but wait.

...and start working up some interesting flight plans, no doubt.  I'm presently scrutinizing my old RTW flight plan for the Beech Baron, last flown with FS2002.  I'm guessing it should be just a bit more immersive and interesting than last time, below.

Congrats on the purchase!

Pyramids.jpg

Indonesia_Islands.jpg

WT1_leg1_1.jpg

Edited by Stoopy
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Dunno what SWMBO thinks I shall be kept away from, but I admit to be another lucky bastard who gets (almost) everything without even asking.

We're both "breadwinners" and my wife is just a few months younger than me though.

Nevertheless, whenever I keep looking at the same webpage without clicking or scrolling for more than half a minute and my wife takes notice, the same thing happens:

SWMBO: "What's so interesting up there?"

Unworthy: "Nothing."

SWMBO: "Buy it."

Unworthy: "But..."

SWMBO: "B-U-Y  I-T !"

Unworthy: "Your CC or mine?"

SWMBO: "Paypal."

Same thing starts if I mention "they've published an update for..." - this skips the 1st two lines of the communication listed above.

I'm not even trying to abuse these powers in fear of losing it.

Quite sure I'll be watching those pesky MFG Crosswind pedals accidentally one day anyway :rolleyes:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1