Nic727

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

1 hour ago, simfan2015 said:

I wonder whether people who are into combat sims can stay interested in a civil aviation sim ... even if it proves to be 100% as good as expected.

I, personally, will give it a try too ... what do I have to loose ? (except for that 1 TB of SSD disk space 🙂) ? ??

[I am even more interested in what the new Microprose is up to !]

The ability to fly over some new scenery, instead of the same old areas over and over. Strangely the maps that I spend the most time in with both GB and DCS are the same area of the world. It will be nice to plan a flight to the Himalayas, or New Zealand, or Cape Town, or any other exotic area that I may never see in real life.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

I am really very interested in the look of this, but have never owned a non combat flight sim.

I know literally nothing about any of the planes on the lists of the various versions in the different bundles.

Somebody sell  me some thing about some of those planes, otherwise I'm going to have to do a lot of googling!!!!

Any ideas what the quickest plane in those listed for release is (I'm, thinking low level mountains in my head)?

Edited by DD_fruitbat

2 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Civil sims can scratch a different itch for people. Some people want to get deep into the nitty gritty of operating the plane, flying according to regulations, etc.

Exactly.  Shooting an ILS approach in a light plane at an unfamiliar airport at night in bad weather below minimums can be an immersive experience with its own hair raising challenges just as much as a combat flight in IL2 MP.

And speaking about MP, anyone else wondering what spotting will be like? 😆

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DD_fruitbat said:

I am really very interested in the look of this, but have never owned a non combat flight sim.

I know literally nothing about any of the planes on the lists of the various versions in the different bundles.

Somebody sell  me some thing about some of those planes, otherwise I'm going to have to do a lot of googling!!!!

Any ideas what the quickest plane in those listed for release is (I'm, thinking low level mountains in my head)?

Well, probably the Airbus, lol.

But if you want something smaller, probably the Cessna Citation (twin jet), or the TBM (high performance prop) is no slouch.

I am actually surprised to see how many small props, like acrobatic planes and light sport craft, are on the list.

About spotting... I hope they have even put in some... UFOs that we can try to encounter!? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Bush and mountain flights in a Cub are the best. 

And it's probably the quickest plane for anyone who wants to fly under 100mph.

About fs2020... Indeed, being able to really fly around the globe with true realistic scenery has never been done before Afaik. In that respect it is already a winner and will assure interest for a very long time if only because of this!!? 

26 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

I am actually surprised to see how many small props, like acrobatic planes and light sport craft, are on the list.

Think it makes sense based on what MS are trying to do. They want to attract a wide crowd and those planes will just be easier to pick up and fly around. They can make them pretty realistic as they're not massively complex planes overall. They've priced it at 69.99 starters for the casual player which is the right price point for that market. Also they want to make sure that their 3rd party developers like PDMG, etc. have plenty of high fidelity complex planes to develop which will cover the hardcore fans requirements. So although they're providing the 747, 787 & A320 I'd assume the fidelity of those will be considerably lower than 3rd party developer offerings which is fine for the average player MS want to get into the game. 

4 minutes ago, simfan2015 said:

About fs2020... Indeed, being able to really fly around the globe with true realistic scenery has never been done before Afaik. In that respect it is already a winner and will assure interest for a very long time if only because of this!!? 

If it models the world accurately, it's an irresistible program to have. And if you're a fan of geography or history or cultures even, it's worth twice the price just be able to interact with the environment on that level.

3 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

As a big fan of the planet, I see FS2020 as a form of education and entertainment. If it's geographically accurate, then for me it's invaluable as a way to see what different parts of the world look like. And if ORBX or someone else offer a package to make it even more accurate, I'll buy it for sure.

An interactive 3D model of the planet. It's fantastic!

Yup and it can be a base for their next Train Simulator, Ship Simulator, etc., all sharing position data so you can buzz your friends in their racing sloops or freight trains...

• Upvote 2

Microsoft did venture into combat flight sims in the 90's. Both were pretty good. I preferred the Pacific Theater one more and played it quite a bit.  Don't expect them to venture into that territory this time around, but if this does work out, it could open the doors and give other devs ideas. CMO uses satellite data...

Interesting times we live in and someone mentioned Microprose which has been reborn. I'm very interested in their Pacific Theater project.

What's next? Janes?

Some stock / standard airports... I already got a 500GB SSD to install it.

jxNIthV.jpg

o1dxdXG.jpg

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Well surley tou heard about the cub and Caravan. In the beginning this will be my planes of choice. 
I will buy sny vintage planes like the Dakota and B 17 that I am sure will come 

I think by the look of this that one can do all the bush flying available in earth. 
For the commercial flights I am far From convinced I will use at all. It is a button pushing longhaul I really not care for. But people love it. They have their own community and tower 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Just checked the ORBX site and they're selling one piece of X-Plane scenery for the same price as FS2020 Standard. I don't see how that business model can stand. Who would pay $70 for one add-on region when for about the same price you get the whole world and dozens of planes?

I wonder if the sellers will be stubborn and just stick to their prices and they don't sell any at all, they'll just chew on it.

4 hours ago, simfan2015 said:

About spotting... I hope they have even put in some... UFOs that we can try to encounter!? 

No, I don't think they will model 109K-4s or Tempests.

4 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Yup and it can be a base for their next Train Simulator, Ship Simulator, etc., all sharing position data so you can buzz your friends in their racing sloops or freight trains...

Among the Train Simmers and the Ship SImmers, finally, finally, flight sim nerds will be the cool people in the room!

• Haha 2

Looks very realistic but I don’t have any detectable enthusiasm for modern aircraft or landscapes.  Flying a Dragon-Rapide out of Croydon in 1938 would be more my speed.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, simfan2015 said:

There was a mission in FSX were you had to get stuff from Las Vegas to groom Lake. Not long before the landing approach an UFO appears in front of your 737.

10 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Bush and mountain flights in a Cub are the best. 

And it's probably the quickest plane for anyone who wants to fly under 100mph.

This. I’m going to be spending plenty of time pottering about in a Cub over the Alps, or around Canada, or even flying across the outback in Oz. Can’t wait 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I’ve used FSX along with addons like FSPassengers and (recently) Air Hauler 2 , they add some economics and generate missions with a purpose. I really hope that FS2020 will support addons like this..

Edited by BB5000

Placed my Pre-Order for MS Flight Sim 2020.   Looking forward to the mid August release but will have to crank up my Track IR5

because there's no VR to start.

11 minutes ago, fiddlinjim said:

Placed my Pre-Order for MS Flight Sim 2020.   Looking forward to the mid August release but will have to crank up my Track IR5

TrackIR isn't supported yet either apparently

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, TP_Scram said:

(Record scratch)  Wait, what??? 

Hmmmm.  How can that be overlooked in this day and age?

28 minutes ago, TP_Scram said:

You are correct but hopefully they will support it shortly.

5 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

(Record scratch)  Wait, what??? 

Hmmmm.  How can that be overlooked in this day and age?

They haven't made a new flight sim in forever, so they just forgot? Or they just figured that its only for combat games, and sim pilots woulnd't need it.

Frankly if my headtracking broke I probably wouldn't play until I could get my hands on a new one. No way would I play a flight sim now without one, even though previously I did it for years.

It wasn't supported in the Beta test yet.

Nobody really knows whether it'll be supported on release.

MS got in touch with the Naturalpoint guys, that's all we know right now.

Sit back and relax.

:drinks:

Mike

Just now, fiddlinjim said:

You are correct but hopefully they will support it shortly.

With Microsoft money you would hope it wouldn't be too hard to do. Probably more an oversight than a deliberate decision.

1 hour ago, fiddlinjim said:

You are a better man than me, I just can not do it without VR support. If they provide it, then yeah I will be all over it.

Has been a long time since I messed with FSX.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dburne said:

You are a better man than me, I just can not do it without VR support. If they provide it, then yeah I will be all over it.

Has been a long time since I messed with FSX.

I love VR as much as you but this has to be future of terrain views in flight simming and for $60.00 I'll give it a shot with hopes for the future that it will incorporate

panning views and VR.   I feel we have to support these new advances like we did when we bought the first Oculus products, Dk1 just didn't work

for me but I still jumped at the CV1.

Edited by fiddlinjim
left out info

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

It wasn't supported in the Beta test yet.

Nobody really knows whether it'll be supported on release.

MS got in touch with the Naturalpoint guys, that's all we know right now.

Sit back and relax.

Mike

Yep guess we'll just see what we see.  

It just hasn't been MS' normal practice to add any significant features to their flight sim versions after initial release.  There were post-release updates to FS9 and FSX for a few bug fixes, that was about it.  IL2 has us spoiled.

So I'd guess we may see support for TIR or VR to be part of another addon DLC package. Super Premium Deluxe Pro with fries, or something. Apparently there will be an in-game marketplace.

Hopefully what's being released will at least include a pan view...

Edited by Stoopy

I'll get it eventually when it's working with all it's bells and whistles!

It will be cheap as chips in a couple of years...

For most of us, so used to military simulations, the hardest part will be not Check our six permanently...:biggrin:...

The Customer Support Engineer from Naturalpoint said in April: "We have now been in contact with the game producer to get support for TrackIR".

It might be at release, it might come later. The way the market is reacting, and I bet Microsoft will get a portion of addon sales, we might see development for a few years to come. Either the sim has some serious flaws, and this is not what I'm hearing, just the opposite, they might stay for the long haul. There would be no reason to abandon the development. On the contrary. 

And the product seems to already be in a great shape, so I imagine they will have a lot of work to do with bug fixes, but hell, the sim appears to be amazing the way it is. I'm also seeing people say it works great with current hardware, something that was always a hassle over the decades. I'm not sure how it will pan out with TrackIR, don't know how TrackIR works, but the feedback from alpha testers looks promising.

My wife is not going to understand this.

Its going to be awesome.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

The way the market is reacting, and I bet Microsoft will get a portion of addon sales, we might see development for a few years to come. Either the sim has some serious flaws, and this is not what I'm hearing, just the opposite, they might stay for the long haul. There would be no reason to abandon the development. On the contrary.

Same feeling here.

I've been assisting in testing Microsoft Flight (short-lived unfortunately, hasn't been that bad IMHO), Dovetail's Flight Sim World (ill-fated somehow, failed for many reasons) and this one from day one.

From my bums feeling, Microsoft learned a lot from their previous mistakes.

The whole approach to revamping MSFS feels much better this time.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Same feeling here.

I've been assisting in testing Microsoft Flight (short-lived unfortunately, hasn't been that bad IMHO), Dovetail's Flight Sim World (ill-fated somehow, failed for many reasons) and this one from day one.

From my bums feeling, Microsoft learned a lot from their previous mistakes.

The whole approach to revamping MSFS feels much better this time.

Mike

Frogglesim was totally convinced he hated the idea of MS coming back. But boy did he change his mind. 
This is a lot of money. They wont easily abandon it. They are rich,I get that, but there are a reason for it. Within a year or two I believe I am fully rigged to go all in on this sim. 
I read the new gpu 3080 ti probably cannot be easily put in todays rigs, so I am guessing I will not upgrade pc for next 5 years. I wont abandon the one I have so I rather go for flight sim hardware

1 hour ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I read the new gpu 3080 ti probably cannot be easily put in todays rigs

I don't really get the uproar about that new 12-pin connector.

I wager we shall see suitable adaptors for less than 5 bucks in no time.

Mike

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Mike

Make me happy reading that. I find it bad economy upgrading to next level gpu and probably to the  one after that too. 
I will see hiw 2020 do act in current system. I knew latest was a short moment when buying my rig

6 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Mike

New connector? Interesting, had not heard about that.

Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2020 at 8:02 PM, CanadaOne said:

Just checked the ORBX site and they're selling one piece of X-Plane scenery for the same price as FS2020 Standard. I don't see how that business model can stand. Who would pay $70 for one add-on region when for about the same price you get the whole world and dozens of planes?

I wonder if the sellers will be stubborn and just stick to their prices and they don't sell any at all, they'll just chew on it.

That comparison is apples to oranges. The default scenery in FSX, P3D, and XP is highly lacking. Like big time. Which is why there's a fairly large market for third-party addons. I probably have $1.5K worth of addons (aircraft, airports, terrain/scenery, weather, clouds, effects etc) for P3D/FSX, and I'm not even that into it like the majority of the of the community. As for the aircraft included in MSFS 2020, they're not study level, obviously. People in this genre want study level aircraft. They want PMDG, A2A, Majestic, FSLabs, and the others out there. There is a market for it. 

Example:

Spoiler

3.jpg

3a.jpg

g3.jpg

As for the terrain in MSFS 2020 it looks great, up high. When you get down around the a neighborhood outside of EHAM or KDEN etc, where there aren't any custom skyscrapers or airport buildings, the houses and other structures blob out or shoot up. This is because there are very few actual 3D world objects and the terrain data is drawn from Bing Maps, their elevation API and photogrammetry. That means not only terrain features (hills, mountains, valleys, canyons) but everything, including buildings of all shapes and sizes.

X3DRtxO.png

Edited by DetCord12B
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1