Sign in to follow this  
DB605

(How to) Make Bf 109 3d model great again

First of all, i have to say devs have done great job with 109 3d model originally as it still look pretty good after all these years.

It's only now, when latest (really good looking) BoP planes become available, clear that it  start to showing it's age.

However, by fixing couple of major errors in it's 3d model it would be possible to bring it up to date on latest BOP planes.

Biggest error concers models from F to K; incorrect caster angle of main landing gears. What we have now in game is correct for E model, but in reality angle was altered between E and F by 4,5 degrees.

In game now it' same for all Bf 109 models.

While it doesen't sound too much, it's very easily noticeable from pics. Here's pic from J-C Mermets messerschmitt bf 109 book:

mermet.jpg

And here is comparison shots real 109 vs one in game:

109gearcom.png

109gearcom2.png

This is something that definitely needs a change in my opinion, such big is the difference.

Next, second biggest error is about windshield frames from G models on.

They are too thin in game, and it's another thing that is not so noticeable at first, but you just know something doesent look right.

I have made so quick and dirty comparison and they will show why.

Here is what we have in game, and a pic i take couple weeks ago from museum:

il109cancom1.png

Now see what happens when i paste frame from real one:

il109cancom3.png

Again, quite big difference there.

Here's complete paint job with corrected frames, it's easy to see how much this change would add realism to 3d model.

il109cancom4.png

il109cancom8.png

There is few other little errors wich i may post about later, but in my opinion by correcting these two major ones it would bring 3d model from past to todays standards.

Edited by DB605
Picture added
  • Upvote 9

As a big 109 fan, the incorrect landing gear angle has stuck out like a sore thumb to me since the first days of this sim. That, and a few other 3d model errors really highlight the difference in detail between the 109 (and some of the other early planes) in this sim and the more recent aircraft to be added (which are outstanding). I hope the Devs can find some time before the next project to bring the early aircraft up to the latest standards.

Edited by Jocko
  • Upvote 3

Extending the wheel strut to see where the line meets the top of the cowling will perhaps reveal the error more clearly.

11-27_21-36_002.png

11-27_21-37_003.png

• Upvote 1

Hopefully the devs can give this some attention now that the 109 is being rebuilt as a "late" G6. 🤞

• Upvote 1