J5_Gamecock

Arras map in next update.

I think the game engine takes control and you see an animation of your your plane turning back.

I finished the download, started game, selected quick missions, and could NOT select any aircraft at all!

Uninstalled, reinstalled, now have a 17 GB download !

NOT COOL. 

• Haha 1

Ouch HB.

Anyway to cheer you up I thouroughly recommend flying through the Railway Shed at Lille. (if you ever get the bloody thing working.. snigger snigger)

And boy could you have fun with Dr1 races through the streets of Lille :)

S!

Hope it works out after clean install, HB.

This is Awoingt, not Boistrancourt (I guess only fields that were active in Spring-Summer 1918 are mapped). But it's close enough, and is biggest airfield I have seen so far. I think Jasta 5 will like their new home ;).

2019_9_30__21_31_38.thumb.jpg.3ab0477df3a0e55cf37bd8130360ecc6.jpg

(Velu, Boelckes last airfield, has been packed up and no trace of it is left)

Edited by J2_Trupobaw
  • Like 2

Great to see the map released!

A few remarks...

• In Quick Mission, the game populates enemy airfields with WWII anti-aircraft artillery. I found this out the hard way.

sw6B6y5.jpg
    (not pictured: dewinged Halberstadt)

• Nice enough detail on the buildings and houses, although "Lebensmittel" is hardly appropriate for France and Southern Belgium. I know that we get invaded by Germany with clockwork regularity, but not enough to translate the signs ahead of time. They could change this to "Cafe" and it would work everywhere, even in Germany. Besides, it is France, so there ought to be more cafes than grocery stores anyway.

2Rw1azT.jpg

• The mud looks okay. I was a bit apprehensive at first since it looks rather less dark and ominous (or even particularly highly textured) compared to RoF, but then again, there are more terrain features such as barbed wire and much thicker forests. Also, ambient flak is gone and the improved ambient shelling is worth the price of entry alone.

66kucLp.jpg

RoF by comparison:
    wYBMsV9.jpg
    (the planeset remains superior, obviously)

• Making a quick multiplayer dogfight map might have to take place here, near Arras and Douai, as these are the closest airfields on either side of the mud. I don't care too much about it not being Cappy, though I know that many will. Whatever's closest, really.

PRROayG.jpg

• Lastly, none of the previously mentioned bugs with the scouts (D.Va overheat, SE5a compass) or two-seaters (CL.II gun angle) have been addressed yet, but seeing how Flying Circus is still not officially out of Early Access, I hope that a next (dev) update will shed some light on this.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Don't go near the Sovier trucks, either...

I see room on the map for easily four Wargrounds sized maps (may be even to big for us ;) ) that could be populated using simplified FC mission formula.

From the North, either Lille-Baupeme area, or remake of classic Bruay map.

2019_9_30__22_21_28.thumb.jpg.56680ccb8d9cfdf87825425e67f2e827.jpg

then, la Brayelle - La Targette airfields, or Douai -Norht Arras area.

2019_9_30__22_21_49.thumb.jpg.5c8d76ca6c0d223659d430f6ff898397.jpg

Baupame - Marieux, south of Arras and at heigfht of Cambrais, plenty of fields in 10 km of the mud here...

2019_9_30__22_22_43.thumb.jpg.cbade7b79987e7354dad5c3f8b6831a2.jpg

And finally Somme valley (does Somme have a valley?)

2019_9_30__22_22_47.thumb.jpg.6940dfec1573140385b8d33d07772ee1.jpg

image.png

1 minute ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

Stick an AF anywhere roughly flat.

S!

Should work for takeoff, although most fields in IL-2 / FC are far too rough for landing.

Who cares about landing, right?

4 minutes ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

Stick an AF anywhere roughly flat.

S!

So far I had very little luck landing  out of field, and even landing short of the field results in in ditch. And with option to rearm, refuel, pach the holes and keep going I want to be landing on these fields :).

Edited by J2_Trupobaw

1 minute ago, J5_Hellbender said:

Should work for takeoff, although most fields in IL-2 / FC are far too rough for landing.

Who cares about landing, right?

Oh yeah I have noticed the ground is a bit bumpier in IL2 !

Edited by Zooropa_Fly

Just now, J2_Trupobaw said:

So far I had very little luck landing  out of field, and even landing short of the field results in in ditch. 

Roads are good for landing.

We may have to invent the runway ahead of time.

Even landing short of beat airfield ground is dangerous... and the wheels are sinking in the ground!

24 minutes ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

Even landing short of beat airfield ground is dangerous... and the wheels are sinking in the ground!

Yep. Right up to the axles. I was able to err...land, but forget about taking off again.

Whose bright idea was it to use such a simple trench design? It looks goofy as hell seeing only two, symmetrical trench designs throughout No Man's Land.

IL-2  Sturmovik  Battle of Stalingrad Screenshot 2019.09.30 - 16.03.30.54 (2).png

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, IV./JG51-R_Voss said:

Whose bright idea was it to use such a simple trench design? It looks goofy as hell seeing only two, symmetrical trench designs throughout No Man's Land.

IL-2  Sturmovik  Battle of Stalingrad Screenshot 2019.09.30 - 16.03.30.54 (2).png

Agree that the trenches are overly simplistic and without variation... still, not greatly different from the rendering in ROF as far as simplicity goes. The shell craters could use some normalmap / bumpmap love as well.

But this is early in the game and If we show support and interest they're more likely to put more work into it as opposed to us just whining about it.

Oh...and... NO AMBIENT AAA! (The ambient shelling is much more believable).

• Upvote 4

The new wound damage model is crazy. You get hit once and you black out for 15 secs or more.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, IV./JG51-R_Voss said:

Exactly. The trenches look the same from Rise of Flight

Edited by Novice-Flyer

Posted (edited)

Liking the physiology for the most part, but every time you get hit there's a 10-15s blackout, during which you're a sitting 🦆!

Overdone?

Edited by US103_Baer

5 minutes ago, US103_Baer said:

Liking the physiology for the most part, but every time you get hit there's a 10-15s blackout, during which you're a sitting 🦆!

Overdone?

Maybe... I flew into the ground while trying to evade a P38 while flying a 109K because of Gloc. I'm also wondering if it's evenly modeled among all planes.

Confirmed rear gunners feel physiological effects. They black out in high g turns and get knocked unconscious too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, US103_Talbot said:

Confirmed rear gunners feel physiological effects. They black out in high g turns and get knocked unconscious too.

Do they still do the hokey-kokey when under attack ?

The physiology effects are fantastic in my opinion, anti-ufo game-changer. :)

The trenches could certainly use some graphical loving.

The map in general, fantastic. :)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, J3Hetzer said:

The physiology effects are fantastic in my opinion, anti-ufo game-changer. :)

The trenches could certainly use some graphical loving.

The map in general, fantastic. :)

+1

It could be improved, tuned ecc. ecc. but it's really a revolution for the flightsim.

For whom knows a little bit the Arras Era.

The Cathedrale of Arras (built on XIII century and one of the biggest in France) , was a very easy landmark all over the era at long distance.

thumb-amiens---5-choses-a-faire-dans-la-

it's a pity that this great cathedral is absent!  😳

That is the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Amiens in the SW corner. I cannot find the cathedral on the map. The Arras Cathedral, which is not Gothic, is there, in Arras. 

Not sure why the towns next to the front are so pristine or if they can be damageable by mission makers: Arras by 1918 looked more like Stalingrad.   But it is a start. With luck and some buyers the team is quite capable of making some upgrades to trench lines and so on. 

What I want now are some balloons - and flaming onions!

Posted (edited)

Well I see three different styles of trenches in this one screenshot as well as little paths in between. All are going crazy different ways like you would see in historical aerial photos. In addition there are barbed wire and dugouts/pill boxes. RoF had only three trench lines and both sides looked the same.

I think this is a huge step above RoF and I am thoroughly pleased with their work so far.

Trenches.thumb.JPG.145add67a48bfe6ba8191dc298409456.JPG

Edited by US103_Talbot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, unreasonable said:

That is the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Amiens in the SW corner. I cannot find the cathedral on the map. The Arras Cathedral, which is not Gothic, is there, in Arras. 

Not sure why the towns next to the front are so pristine or if they can be damageable by mission makers: Arras by 1918 looked more like Stalingrad.   But it is a start. With luck and some buyers the team is quite capable of making some upgrades to trench lines and so on. 

Sorry !! fully mistake for me...I wanted to speak about the Cathedral of AMIENS of course !!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, unreasonable said:

Seems that FC vol.1 has a long way to go before it is finished.

14 hours ago, J5_Hellbender said:

Great to see the map released!

A few remarks...

• Nice enough detail on the buildings and houses, although "Lebensmittel" is hardly appropriate for France and Southern Belgium. I know that we get invaded by Germany with clockwork regularity, but not enough to translate the signs ahead of time. They could change this to "Cafe" and it would work everywhere, even in Germany. Besides, it is France, so there ought to be more cafes than grocery stores anyway.

2Rw1azT.jpg

Good thing the Italians weren't occupiers or you would have had this

Image result for cinzano outdoor umbrellas italian square

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Well, much shorter than longer....

Similar to klugs stamina in the sack.

26 minutes ago, HiIIBiIIy said:

Seems that FC vol.1 has a long way to go before it is finished.

Edit: we were able to hop on JG1's server last night and confirmed my suspicion of Herr Butzell's secret map editing skills. In less than 4 hours following update they had a map up very similar to RoF's multiplayer maps. It was almost ready for Thursday night fly ins. (HINT HINT)

Edited by US103_Talbot
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

There are five of us flying the Arras map on the Hotballs server right now (if you want to to test it in MP).

1 minute ago, SeaW0lf said:

There are five of us flying the Arras map on the Hotballs server right now (if you want to to test it in MP).

My bro's joining me around 9pm hopefully, so we'll try and get there. :)

16 hours ago, US103_Talbot said:

The new wound damage model is crazy. You get hit once and you black out for 15 secs or more.

I can hear Larner cackling...

10 hours ago, CCG_Pips said:

For whom knows a little bit the Arras Era.

The Cathedrale of Arras (built on XIII century and one of the biggest in France) , was a very easy landmark all over the era at long distance.

thumb-amiens---5-choses-a-faire-dans-la-

it's a pity that this great cathedral is absent!  😳

Looks like standard issue RoF cathedral (?).