Han

Developer Diary 232 - Discussion

Any chance we could get the patch size info? I am running low on SSD space...¬†ūüėĀ

50 minutes ago, J./ZG15_Siggie said:

Sorry but I think, the Developer had never heard a DB 605 Orginal.

I think you'll probably find that the compromise(s) that have to be made to actually use the soundfiles in a game like this are such that they do as good a job as they possibly can. When you're just flying along in-game, the sound you're hearing is a (really well edited) loop that just  repeats, and does so almost without detection. Plus the conditions and the recording equipment used in real-life give SO many variables that to satisfy EVERYONE'S idea of what 'authentic' sounds are like is pretty much impossible. These sounds you hear in-game are also 'normalised' as well to give parity between different aircraft!

Come on.... give 'em a break eh? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 15

18 minutes ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

Any chance we could get the patch size info? I am running low on SSD space...¬†ūüėĀ

This is the most accurate info we have at this stage (check the online spreadsheet for the summary) and take the accuracy with a might dosage of salt!

1 hour ago, J./ZG15_Siggie said:

Yeah, I'm sure they are amazed with your findings. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

17 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

I think you'll have great difficulty flying WW2 aircraft out of WW1-size airfields.

Challenge accepted!! :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

I had high hopes, regarding the no mans land.

But you'll be able to see the buildings.

7 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Challenge accepted!!

Hold my beer.

• Haha 1

What do you think, guys, about the update / release date? 

Monday, 30 September? 

Or later?? 

Edited by Avyx

I'll just say next week.  This version update will be a massive undertaking, and like all large endeavors, there will be unforeseen twists in the road.  Monday?  Tuesday?  Thursday?  Does it really matter all that much in the great scope of things?  We will have it soon enough, that's all I need to know.  Give the team the time they need to make the drop as smooth as possible, for them, and for us.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It is a huge update… Remembering good old UBIdays, when we got new planes and maps. 

6 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

We need a Storch.

A WWI airfield is vastly over-sized for one of those birds.

I watched one take off near here a year ago and was stunned how fast it was in the air.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I watched one take off near here a year ago and was stunned how fast it was in the air.

You should see how fast I hit the ground.

7 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

with a Me262 ? :biggrin:;)

Woo hoo! Finally! The Arras Map! ūü§© Thank you devs! Can't wait to spend time flying all over it next week!¬†

13 hours ago, J./ZG15_Siggie said:

And now you hear the Orgial Sound¬īs from a DB605. "Start the Engine".

It¬īs from the Messerschitt Stiftung, ME 109, "FM-BB"

109 sound 1.zip 4.03 MB · 24 downloads

One track more, "Roll Home", at Manching, Germany:

109 sound 7.zip 2.84 MB · 5 downloads

And now, at last a fly by.

109 sound 4.zip 3.02 MB · 6 downloads

Siggie, you have distorted audio files. The mic quality and position make a tremendous difference in what you hear. I happen to own Checkflight Gustav, which is a CD with high quality recorded 109 sounds. I can tell you that the sound engineer in IL2 has gotten it very close to the original when it comes to idle and low revs. At higher revs the difference becomes noticeable, but then again, the sound in reality is very loud and distortion is unavoidable.

I 've included just 5 secs of the in-cockpit sounds in the attachment. Judge for yourself.

109.rar

Edited by [DBS]airdoc
attachment
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 8

Nice update and I'm so looking forward to the release of everything and I'm looking forward to Jason's announcement of the next game (hopefully happening soon)

I like the pilot physiology video and I appreciate the previous update discussion regarding what it all means, however, I really hope that it is the goal of the team to introduce anthropomorphic type control restrictions associated with these effects as other wise I see little value with introducing the pilot physiology.  However, I'm waiting for the usual "It will never happen" types to get on their soap boxes.  Although I'm only a PPL, I recently experienced +5G (4th gen fighter with a G suit) for the first time and understand how pilot's need to build that tolerance/resistance to G loading both - and +,so in SP I can see how that might be introduced.  I found that even at +5G, I became very tired not being able to move my limbs freely whilst trying to look around and appreciated the HOTAS system.  However replicating this within the sim is going to be bloody difficult, but this team have demonstrated they can do amazing things!

The video effects with he heavy breathing and the narrowing of the vision looks really good and does add to the immersion, but the proof in the pudding for me will be the future limitations that will be associated with these types of manoeuvres.  Having the ability to still to be able to move freely around a cockpit and operate numerous controls/switches if pulling such manoeuvres needs to be eventually addressed (even if players own a HOTAS type system) and it will be interesting to see how this will be managed, as other wise it will just end up being a nice bit of eye candy that perhaps will just be turned off if an option!

Regards

H

Only 51 hours left in September, why do I sense this is getting pushed back?

40 minutes ago, Haza said:

Nice update and I'm so looking forward to the release of everything and I'm looking forward to Jason's announcement of the next game (hopefully happening soon)

I like the pilot physiology video and I appreciate the previous update discussion regarding what it all means, however, I really hope that it is the goal of the team to introduce anthropomorphic type control restrictions associated with these effects as other wise I see little value with introducing the pilot physiology.  However, I'm waiting for the usual "It will never happen" types to get on their soap boxes.  Although I'm only a PPL, I recently experienced +5G (4th gen fighter with a G suit) for the first time and understand how pilot's need to build that tolerance/resistance to G loading both - and +,so in SP I can see how that might be introduced.  I found that even at +5G, I became very tired not being able to move my limbs freely whilst trying to look around and appreciated the HOTAS system.  However replicating this within the sim is going to be bloody difficult, but this team have demonstrated they can do amazing things!

The video effects with he heavy breathing and the narrowing of the vision looks really good and does add to the immersion, but the proof in the pudding for me will be the future limitations that will be associated with these types of manoeuvres.  Having the ability to still to be able to move freely around a cockpit and operate numerous controls/switches if pulling such manoeuvres needs to be eventually addressed (even if players own a HOTAS type system) and it will be interesting to see how this will be managed, as other wise it will just end up being a nice bit of eye candy that perhaps will just be turned off if an option!

Regards

H

I hope there's a way to turn the redouts and blackouts off, or they will have the AI planes react to the same effects when you push them into a hard maneuver

2 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

Only 51 hours left in September, why do I sense this is getting pushed back?

I hope there's a way to turn the redouts and blackouts off, or they will have the AI planes react to the same effects when you push them into a hard maneuver

In one of the developers diaries Jason said it will be optional, so that means you can choose to have it on or off, or choose a server which have it off in MP if that is what you want.

2 hours ago, [FAC]Ghost129er said:

Here I am just waiting for the sound bug to be fixed. ūüėĀ

Which they’ve said they’re working on. Why not enjoy all the other great things rather than whinging about one thing that’s still being investigated? People can be very strange...

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

sounds of overload are not like panting, but some kind of cough.
take an example of sounds from dcs, and not just breathing ...

it reminded me ...

11 minutes ago, STOIKIY said:

it reminded me ...

https://youtu.be/Y9j3heYZAk8

Warning!

Please turn down the volume of the video otherwise your family and neighbours might think you're watching some XXX rated stuff on a rainy Sunday morning. :)

Edited by Uufflakke
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, STOIKIY said:

it reminded me ...

I LOVE that, it's absolutely one of the best pieces of Television ever!!

11 hours ago, [DBS]airdoc said:

I 've included just 5 secs of the in-cockpit sounds in the attachment. Judge for yourself.

Nice one, I rest my case!

You have done it AGAIN! Surpassed your selves in spades! And then some! A huge thanks and congratulations to the whole team.

With the release of the Arras map, haven't they outdone themselves in SPADs?

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, STOIKIY said:

sounds of overload are not like panting, but some kind of cough.

Cough and screaming gasping and heavy breathing. This guy here is a regular Pete Griffin.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Cough and screaming gasping and heavy breathing. This guy here is a regular Pete Griffin.

One of the first episodes of The Fighter Pilot Podcast discussed g-force training, and this is exactly what it sounded like there as well. 

• Upvote 1

1CGS continues to impress me, even in the cynical world in which we live, with their absolute excellence in all aspects of the business. Customer relations, quality of product, progress updates, attention to details most players wouldn't even notice, the list goes on...This company should be celebrated as the absolute standard of best business models and practices. Every penny I have invested in the IL-2 series has been amply paid back to me in the pure pleasure I receive every time I log in and immerse myself in every combat mission offered in this exceptional game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

5 hours ago, LukeFF said:

this is exactly what it sounded like there as well. 

Yep, if I was experiencing high G, I would fairly sure I'd be screaming, grunting and heavy breathing, just before I lost consciousness. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, LukeFF said:

One of the first episodes of The Fighter Pilot Podcast discussed g-force training, and this is exactly what it sounded like there as well. 

I always find it interesting at how many people that have zero experience of actual flying nevermind WW2 combat flying are always very quick to say how unrealistic something is. 

I remember my first time doing the training flight in RoF. I thought they must have had absolutely no budget to pay a proper voice actor to pretend to be Rickenbacker. I heard the voice track and cringed at the terrible dialogue. I later saw a video interview of the man himself and burst into laughter because they absolutely nailed it. It wasn't a bad voice actor, that is just the way Rickenbacker actually spoke. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Yep, if I was experiencing high G, I would fairly sure I'd be screaming, grunting and heavy breathing, just before I lost consciousness. 

As with many things in life, if you`re not screaming, grunting and breathing heavily before passing out, you`re not doing it right.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

As with many things in life, if you`re not screaming, grunting and breathing heavily before passing out, you`re not doing it right.

After 50 plus years there has been plenty of all that ūüėČ

• Haha 1