Essex477Neilpeel1959

Tonight 9pm GMT BBC4

An epic, sweeping tale of determination, vision and courage, this documentary is the story of an aircraft that was forged in competition, shaped as the war clouds gathered, and refined in the white heat of combat.

Told in the words of the last-surviving World War II veterans, with stunning contemporary and historical aerial footage, Spitfire explores how an extraordinary plane became an international icon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008rmy

lol, I'm watching it as I type this. Couldn't stream from Canada so I rented it on youtube. Excellent so far.

Here is the testimony from William T. Rolls, a veteran WW2 R.A.F fighter pilot on his first solo flight with the Sptifire, which sums up the opinion of the majority of aviators who flew this superb airplane (Excerpted from his book "Spitfire Attack".Cerberus Publishing Ltd.2004-Fortunes of War) :

" I tried out the controls and was amazed how light they seemed and how responsive, almost immediate, they were, to the slighest touch, either of rudder or elevator. Compared with the Hart, which up till then I had thought was the perfect machine, the Spitfire was like a greyhound, so sleek and fast.(.....) It was magic, I felt that I was an integral part of the aircraft and that the wings were fixed to my arms, and I could fly just like a bird. The cockpit was so small that there was no room to move and this made it feel as through you had it strapped on you."