Jump to content
cmorris975

Career mode is really impressive.

Recommended Posts

It's not often I am compelled to come on a game forum and write a positive post like this, but I am just so impressed with how well career mode is implemented that I had to let the developers know.  Usually communication on game boards is pointing out perceived flaws.  I think that's just the nature of language.  In the early days of humanity, I would bet it was more likely that the urge to express "Dude, there's a freakin' tiger over there!" spurred the development of language, not "Wow man, you really did a nice job on that hut!".  I digress...

 

I love the variability of the missions.  They feel realistic too.  Not having flown on the eastern front in World War 2, I cannot verify that.  But the feel is definitely there in spades.  Surprisingly enough, I have even enjoyed the missions where I don't get to fire a shot.  I can see the war playing out all around me on the map and I feel like my pilot just got lucky that mission to not get entangled in it.

 

It's just very nice work overall, this simulator.  Keep it up!  I wish the developers all the success in the world.  They deserve it.  I will continue to support these guys with my gaming dollar and giving them good reviews when justified.  Which appears to be pretty much always.

 

Thanks for making this.

  • Like 9
  • Upvote 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The foundations of the career mode are definitely the best in the business.  I hope they will get fleshed out further over time, as it has the potential to carry the entire series.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:good:

 

Fully agree!

The devs obviously put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into bringing this great Career Mode to the sim.

As a single player guy, it does not get much better than this.  And I am sure they will continue to work to make it even better.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Career mode in this game is indeed excellent. I feel that the eventual criticism is mainly about peripherical issues. But the core is solid, maybe the best in any similar sim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

 

Hello,

I play almost exclusively with the Carrer mod solo.

He is very good and has a lot of potential.

But is it planned to finish it ???

because it has a lot of lack for some missions and does not exploit all the possibilities of the game which are formidable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also agree that the basic career mode is pretty solid and well made. I'm also a single-player pilot, so I highly appreciate a good single-player campaign.

 

However, I do feel that the career mode has much more potential, especially where it comes to the dynamic aspect. Although you can proceed with your own personal career nicely by receiving awards and promotions, for the campaign itself the achievements of you and your squadron don't seems to have any impact. In the long run this can make playing through a campaign feel a bit hollow. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the career mode, really gets across the daily grind and short lifespan of a typical WW2 pilot on the Eastern front.

I just wish it were possible to really ramp up the amount of units you come across, I mean the reality was that at any one time there were thousands of sorties going on, ground assaults plus all the endless supply columns feeding the front.

I know that a mass of units would cause some PC's to really grind, but the majority of gamers these days have killer rigs, so a slider option 'skirmish', 'pitched battle' 'all out carnage' to really flesh out the war would be nice.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gretsch_Man said:

I also agree that the basic career mode is pretty solid and well made. I'm also a single-player pilot, so I highly appreciate a good single-player campaign.

 

However, I do feel that the career mode has much more potential, especially where it comes to the dynamic aspect. Although you can proceed with your own personal career nicely by receiving awards and promotions, for the campaign itself the achievements of you and your squadron don't seems to have any impact. In the long run this can make playing through a campaign feel a bit hollow. 

 

Career mode vs dynamic campaign.  The career mode is designed to put you in a "you are there" setting.  It is not designed to significantly alter history.  I get what you are asking for and certainly understand why you would want it.  I also have to say that the developers promised an apple and delivered an apple, and what you really want is an orange.

 

The only significant, history altering campaign that I have ever seen is Battle of Britain, and that relied more on the air marshal than the flight sim element to change history.  It was also limited to a single battle and not the better part of a war.  Other notable dynamic campaigns have been fictional settings, allowing the developers the freedom to produce whatever outcome they wanted.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

The only significant, history altering campaign that I have ever seen is Battle of Britain

 

Falcon 4.0 is absolutely an (alternate) history altering campaign as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

 

Falcon 4.0 is absolutely an (alternate) history altering campaign as well.

 

Yep, that's a really good one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

 

Falcon 4.0 is absolutely an (alternate) history altering campaign as well.

 

SWOTL had a very nice strategic element in its career mode back then, where you could influence enemy air force availability with the outcome of your individual flight performance and performance of your co-strikes. Never saw such a nice feature again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MarcoPegase44 said:

because it has a lot of lack for some missions and does not exploit all the possibilities of the game which are formidable

 

One year or so ago, the devs stated a list of intentions regarding mission types for career mode - recon missions, you name it. Since then it has indeed been implemented little by little, so they have been good on their word. 

 

20 minutes ago, sevenless said:

SWOTL had a very nice strategic element in its career mode back then, where you could influence enemy air force availability with the outcome of your individual flight performance and performance of your co-strikes. Never saw such a nice feature again.

 

Boy did I like that sim. Even for the period it was kinda of an eyesore, but in those days developers would really stuff in all the goodies a game could have. I guess coding and graphics, being much easily developed, allowed more time for a lot of stuff you don't see nowadays, like a full campaign mode where you command units, damage is persistent etc. I loved the TORNADO sim from the mid 90s. You could program several missions at once and fly one of them (the others would actually be on the map flying with you!), and damage would be persistent. You could, for instance, spend the first days of a campaign doing nothing but anti-sam missions with HARM missiles, and the scarcity of air cover in further days would really make the difference. Those were the days! Of course, now that I know what sims would eventually become, it's impossible to go back. Those games did.. not.. age.. well...!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, danielprates said:

 

One year or so ago, the devs stated a list of intentions regarding mission types for career mode - recon missions, you name it. Since then it has indeed been implemented little by little, so they have been good on their word. 

 

 

Boy did I like that sim. Even for the period it was kinda of an eyesore, but in those days developers would really stuff in all the goodies a game could have. I guess coding and graphics, being much easily developed, allowed more time for a lot of stuff you don't see nowadays, like a full campaign mode where you command units, damage is persistent etc. I loved the TORNADO sim from the mid 90s. You could program several missions at once and fly one of them (the others would actually be on the map flying with you!), and damage would be persistent. You could, for instance, spend the first days of a campaign doing nothing but anti-sam missions with HARM missiles, and the scarcity of air cover in further days would really make the difference. Those were the days! Of course, now that I know what sims would eventually become, it's impossible to go back. Those games did.. not.. age.. well...!

Get bms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's nice and it will be better with AI improvements over time!

Dynamic campaign would also be nice to have despite not being historical it would give feel of progression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, [DBS]Browning said:

 

Falcon 4.0 is absolutely an (alternate) history altering campaign as well.

 

What history was altered?  I thought the Falcon 4 conflict was fictional.

3 hours ago, sevenless said:

 

SWOTL had a very nice strategic element in its career mode back then, where you could influence enemy air force availability with the outcome of your individual flight performance and performance of your co-strikes. Never saw such a nice feature again.

 

PWCG has it and I thought the career mode did as well.  If you shoot down aircraft they take time to replace and might result in a squadron not being able to fly.  If you kill pilots the same thing happens: they take time to replace.  Further, experienced pilots ( as noted by their AI quality level) are replaced by novices.  The novices must then go through the learning process to improve.  The latter is more impactful than the former.

 

So you do have the ability to significantly influence your local area of operation.   However, the Russians are still going to win.

Edited by PatrickAWlson
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

What history was altered?  I thought the Falcon 4 conflict was fictional.

 

It is an alternate history, although historical campaigns are available as mods. History ()or alternate history) can certainly be changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like both PWCG and the stock campaign.  But, I kind of liked the old stock one as well (it just tended to get tedious after awhile).  Once AI communications are sorted out, both options well be great choices for wwII combat av sim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

PWCG has it and I thought the career mode did as well.  If you shoot down aircraft they take time to replace and might result in a squadron not being able to fly.  If you kill pilots the same thing happens: they take time to replace.  Further, experienced pilots ( as noted by their AI quality level) are replaced by novices.  The novices must then go through the learning process to improve.  The latter is more impactful than the former.

 

So you do have the ability to significantly influence your local area of operation.   However, the Russians are still going to win.

 

That´s great to learn. I shall give it a spin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dangit! 

 

I read the title as "Carrier mode is really impressive" and got all excited fer nuthin'...

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Georgio said:

I know that a mass of units would cause some PC's to really grind, but the majority of gamers these days have killer rigs...

 

That's simply not true. The vast majority of gamers are in fact on pretty standard PCs or even laptops, because most don't have hundreds or even thousands to invest in their hardware. Even simmers tend to put their cash into peripherals rather than graphics cards and CPUs. It's also worth remembering that limited numbers aren't always solely down to the computing power available, sometimes it is also a technical limitation of the software or game engine being used. It could even be a gameplay consideration to balance realism with entertainment... simulation is one thing, but few people are likely to have fun if they keep getting shot down within 30 seconds of contact with 200 enemy fighters.

 

Anyway, I really like the career mode too. Some kind of ongoing campaign is always an important part of a flight sim for me, being an offline-only pilot. I generally prefer dynamic but with BoX I actually prefer the fact that it sticks to history rather than letting me change it too much. I see someone posted above that while you can't change the timeline, your actions to affect the number of planes and quality of pilots you'll face as you progress, is that true? If so then I'll be trying extra hard to make sure I put the enemy out of the fight entirely, rather than letting the damaged guys escape... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm enjoying career mode as well, I'm 3wks into battle for Moscow flying in 109F2s & 109F4s and though there are dull moments in the missions, many a time when getting ready to land I see AAA up on my field firing @ bandits trying to ruin my day.  Retract gear and go fight, that little bit there makes it feel like a contested battle and worth my time in this sim.  Yes, thanks developers!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been said by the developers that a new plane requires six months of effort to produce.  Even if at the expense of one new plane, it would be amazing what a further six months of effort would do for the career and the game package as a whole.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

... it would be amazing what a further six months of effort would do for the career and the game package as a whole.  

 

Well we know we are getting an updated campaign with at least 2 more armed forces to fly for, and they have been working on it for a while. It might not be done with this patch but Jason did say he urgently needed help with British and American aces information for the career mode. That tells me they are literally putting the finishing touches on it. Let’s wait and see what they have, I’ll bet it will be significantly improved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

 

Career mode vs dynamic campaign.  The career mode is designed to put you in a "you are there" setting.  It is not designed to significantly alter history.  I get what you are asking for and certainly understand why you would want it.  I also have to say that the developers promised an apple and delivered an apple, and what you really want is an orange.

 

The only significant, history altering campaign that I have ever seen is Battle of Britain, and that relied more on the air marshal than the flight sim element to change history.  It was also limited to a single battle and not the better part of a war.  Other notable dynamic campaigns have been fictional settings, allowing the developers the freedom to produce whatever outcome they wanted.  

Yeah, I know that asking for a dynamic campaign us much easier said than done. But it would be nice if you as the player could at least accelerate/decelerate historic events within a campaign. That would give you at least some feel of achievement.

 

Anyway, my intention was not to complain about the present status of the career mode. Far from it! Actually carrier mode is what I play most in IL-2 and I must say I'm having a heck of a time with it.

 

I just feel there could be done so much more with the career mode, the dynamic campaign just been one example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Goffik said:

 

Anyway, I really like the career mode too. Some kind of ongoing campaign is always an important part of a flight sim for me, being an offline-only pilot. I generally prefer dynamic but with BoX I actually prefer the fact that it sticks to history rather than letting me change it too much. I see someone posted above that while you can't change the timeline, your actions to affect the number of planes and quality of pilots you'll face as you progress, is that true? If so then I'll be trying extra hard to make sure I put the enemy out of the fight entirely, rather than letting the damaged guys escape... 

 

That would be really interesting, if true.  I wonder if we can get a confirmation on that?  That would add a truly dynamic element.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Gretsch_Man said:

Yeah, I know that asking for a dynamic campaign us much easier said than done. But it would be nice if you as the player could at least accelerate/decelerate historic events within a campaign. That would give you at least some feel of achievement.

 

Anyway, my intention was not to complain about the present status of the career mode. Far from it! Actually carrier mode is what I play most in IL-2 and I must say I'm having a heck of a time with it.

 

I just feel there could be done so much more with the career mode, the dynamic campaign just been one example.

 

Started a new thread for this ...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

For an historical career like the career mode, for the realism and the sound of the game it would be interesting to introduce a way for the player to claim his victory which should then be confirmed according to certain criteria.
plane down in the lines.
- or victory confirmed by a witness on the ground or by a friendly plane.

In the case where one of these criteria is not fulfilled, it remains a probable Victory.

This leads to modifying the software and I do not know if it is a big job but it will contribute to the gameplay.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha, I remember playing WoFF and getting my kill claims denied.  I'd mutter something about the game being a cocksucker, and recording a track next time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...