216th_Nocke

The Weekly Coconut

Hello pilots!

I have been enjoying a lot Coconuts dynamic campaign, when he was it running on his server.
For those who do not know it, have a look here:

He is not running it anymore, at least currently, and I always felt that I was missing a lot of what was going on in the campaign,

as it was running 24/24 and I was not.

I now to get the latest version of his software running and would like to run a campaign in slow motion, 

just a mission a week or so, so everybody who participates and whishes so can join every mission and follow the action as it unfolds.

I also created a discord server with chat channels for "red" and "blue", also the server messages about the state of the campaign are sent there.

Please join there and ask for a role as "blue" or "red", if you would like to join the "secret" channels

https://discord.gg/DUX97E6

Currently I set a limit of 16 players, because I do not know where the limits of my system (9700K) and my internet connection are.

Also the numbers of AI planes will be probably subject to change. 

Generally, I am absolutely open to discussions about the campaign settings.

Server settings will be expert, no GPS, this is not open to discussion :)

I also have to say that, while I did download and build from source, and started to peek into the code, I can't promise that I will be able to fix any problems that might arise.

(But then, fingers crossed, maybe the master of coding himself is still lurking somewhere in the background ?)

I did run a couple of contiguous missions, including stop and restart, and all went fine, is all I can say right now.

Anyways - I did enjoy this campaign so much that I am definitely going to give this a try, and would be happy if someone would join.

Timewise: To start with, my preferred time would be FNBF time - in other words, 19:00 UTC.

I do not care much about the day, perhaps we can even agree on the next date from mission to mission.

So: The first to enter the discord channel gets a wish granted and can determine the day we start (except next friday, that is ...).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Yes, I'm still lurking :) I can keep making small adjustments and fixes, as long as they don't swallow my weekends. I'd also love to join and fly with you at some point, when my apartment becomes more habitable again (renovations ongoing...)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Leifr said:

Yes please!

Maybe run it at the weekend, two sessions a day? I (we) sorely miss Coconut in the EU.

@wellenbrecher@Porky@Melonfish

We really do!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the interest!

For now, I propose we get it going once we reach e.g. at least 3 pilots for each side.

Please check the discussion on the discord server!

Great!

So far it appears we got at least 6 interested - should be enough to give it a start!

As this will not be an ongoing server but a recurring event, not necessarily always the same date, I'll try to make sure we get a maximum of attendance by setting up a schedule on the discord server to choose from a list of possible dates. Please check out! ( well, not immediately, I'll need some time to actually do it ...)

Poll for a date set up, please visit the discord server!

p.s.: I am obviously implying that usage of discord, also for voice communication, is o.k. for everybody. Is that o.k.? Or are there objections against this software?

Nothing has been the same since Coconut Expert. We will join you on weekends, if your server is available, be sure.

• Upvote 2

Hi Nocke. 
I’ll speak for my group of pilots (around five/six) and suggest that Friday through to Sunday evenings are best for us. We may not be all able to make each one, but I’d say that a minimum of three would at least make two of the nights during a weekend. 

Post 7PM GMT. 

Here is a link to the poll for the date and time:

https://terminplaner4.dfn.de/6q8g6sRc3VproyR2

... and seeing the growing interest I am a little scared now :)

Everybody please keep in mind at least the first mission will be a test run. As stated above, I have no clue where the limits of my system and internet connection in terms of participants and number of AI planes are. For now I have set a maximum of 16 players. If it turns out there will be more interested those participating in the poll and signing up on the discord server will have priority. If all goes well I will increase that.

That said, its a 9700k, and I think my connection is fast and stable, we shall see.

YEEESSS!

Me and my brother "Opa Poetschke" will gladly join this weekend. Whichever side need our little flying abilities, we are willing to serve...

Thx for the effort, time and work to make this possible, Nocke!

Great!

The poll currently shows a majority for Saturday 28, 19:00 UTC.

I'll leave it open until Thursday, midnight, UTC.

It would be ideal if people would let me know on the discord server which side they want to fly so we can establish a balance.

Guys, I am terribly sorry, but I just discovered I still have a serious problems and have to cancel the mission until I find out what is going wrong.

I am running the dserver and the game on the same machine, which so far worked fine in my tests.

However I just learned that I am not allowed to die in that configuration, that makes the system restart the server immediately.

I was flying too cautiously in all my tests, apparently.

Sorry again.

Will be back if/when I find a solution to this.

I'm sure you'll figure it out, let us know and we'll come fly.

Hi guys,

I do believe I solved my problems, but I need to test that with some more people on the server.

I will be running a test mission tomorrow, Sunday 29th, at 19:00 UTC. It would be great if some of you could join the general voice channel on the discord server: https://discord.gg/DUX97E6 to talk a little about what and how to test.

Thx a lot in advance!

• Like 1

I just decided to let it run the whole day without password to see what happens.

Nevertheless it would be nice if we could perhaps bring together a higher number of people as a stress test, at 19:00 UTC.

Currently there are 2 players playing, and I successfully managed to die and leave the server, without the system restarting teh campaign, which is what happened before.

It is looking good so far!

I also doubled the number of convoys, AI attackers and patrols, the server is still running with a tick delay around 4, which, I think, is pretty good.

@Nocke thank you a lot!

@coconut read

Yeaaaah :)

Lets run it!

:friends:

Maybe you and Coconut can work together in the future?

So nobody gets exhausted with updating server and stuff.

16 players seems a bit low, but ok, we try it. If its working, we can slowly experiment the numbers up?

As written above: I would like to run a stress test today, 19:00UTC, with unlimited number of players, to see what is possible with my hardware and connection.

We will then see, hopefully, what is possible.

So please join in masses, even though that might make it necessary for people to drop out one by one to find out what is possible.

If later there is not enough people to saturate it, I will try it again another day.

I have no intention to rent a server, as Coconut did, and run this 24/24. I am running this from my PC at home, and joining the game at the same time from the same PC.

I know a lot of people is going to frown upon this, but that's what it is. I would qualify it as a relatively powerful PC (9700K), and my connection is usually rather good, but we shall see.

The idea is rather to have an event like thing, running a mission from time to time (frequency yet to be determined),

so that everybody who wishes so can join almost every mission and get a better understanding of how things evolve.

At the beginning of the thread Coconut has already expressed his willingness to help out with minor fixes and changes, so we are not completely lost with this.

Also please consider it a long term project. I am in the process of trying to understand the software, which will still take a lot of time (at least some months), and it will probably also

be a good idea to create a Bodenplatte campaign, once that is out, which will also be quite a lot of work, I guess, for someone who has never done that.

Volunteers for that around here, perhaps?

This is work in progress.

• Like 1

Sorry guys,

Mission ran fine as long as it ran - but now there seem to be apparently random restarts of the mission, I'll have to figure that out.

At least these now are not related to me dying ...

At least I do know now I can host 12 without stressing the server at all.

Hope to be back soon with a fix, see ya!

...and thx to those who where here!

• Thanks 1

Obviously, regarding to the amount of people who said back than sadly goodbye to the server, the amount of people which are interested here, the silent people which also had flewn regularly on Coconut - there is some demand of the "Coconut System".

What about some crowd-funding and also group-organised 24/7 server?

Coconut back than were after some years exhausted (understandable, cause of the game update cycle, our requests and so on).

A single man can not handle it, if he is not willing to give up a weekend or social life :)

But if the same work to maintaining such a server is devided by 2-4 people, it could be managed, or?

@Nocke and @coconut - I would be open to give a little money and time, to do my part of a working 24/7 server. So, maybe you guys can speak it out between you and me. Feel free to contact me via PM for some possible TS/Diskord speaking anytime. I am also sure, we could aquire some other helping hand here and there.

Greetings, Kalle

so ....

:blush:

.... how shall I say ....

Maybe starting positively: Thx Coconut.

He pointed out to me the possibility that there might not have been enough points available, and that that could cause the restarts.

Indeed, there where ... 0 ....

:dash:

So it should be working now .... however ... now there is the update. Need to see how that goes

But there is hope.

Will be back with this after checking the update!

@KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82: Patience :)

Let's get it running in the first place, then we shall see.

I gave this a try already  a year ago. I then realized that it would really take a lot of commitment and time, and gave up on it.

However I was missing the CocoCampaign so sorely that I decided to give it another try now.

I am, however, not willing to invest more than a couple of hours a week into this, I want to have flying time as well, and anyway am spending too much time in front of monitors.

Step by step, and it will take quite some time.

And fingers crossed the update now will not break everything ...

Edited by Nocke
duplicated words
  • Thanks 1

Moscow Campaign is up again (for 2 missions) to see if the update messed up stuff. So far it is looking good. First mission is with externals on, I want to see what is going on. Please do not abuse!

Hi Nocke.

What was the end-result with this?

The end has not yet come :)

Main results so far:

Yes, I can host at least 14 people with the AI numbers doubled as compared to Coconut's defaults, while running a game client the same time on the same machine, without exceeding a tick delay of 6 to 7.

So far the good news.

Until now I was killing the system after mission rolled, and restarting from there. That's not so nice, I am currently trying to implement a logic that will end after one mission automatically, leaving all prepared for a restart. My F# knowledge is not so sharp yet, so that goes slowly.

Furthermore I have read on the forums about some editor groups not activating anymore since patch, and indeed I have not seen an artillery battle so far, since, in my tests. This has me a little worried.

So, in short: I went public with this too early, sorry for that.

But I am working on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Basically, we want Coconuts back in the EU! 😉

Hi guys,

I do sincerely believe I got it now sorted out.

The last couple of days I have been working on code which translates into time graphs the mission results, which are sent to the discord server, like production supplies, tanks, planes etc.

These graphs are also automatically uploaded to the discord server now. Of course this will get more interesting after some missions have run,

but personally I am very much looking forward to that, to see how things evolve over time.

Just started a mission, which will last 2.5h, I think I will start today another one afterwards, and then, if all goes well, will continue that on a more or less regular schedule.

Fingers crossed 😬

next mission: Tuesday, october 22, 19:00.

Nigh time, will start at ingame time 20:00!