Jodet

Virpil and Ch Products combo setup - good idea, bad idea?

Bear with me, I know this might be a pretty dumb question.   But I've been an 'All Ch Products' guy for 25 years. 

Now that CH is slowly exciting the consumer market and has no interest in fixing their 'Control Manager' software (broken in a recent Windows update) I'm thinking of trying some other vendors. 

Is there any reason I would not want to try using a Virpil joystick with my Pro Pedals and Pro Throttle?   I was thinking I would use Virpil's software to assign buttons/axis on their stick and use 'Control Manager' (I have it working.... barely) or some other software for my Throttle.

Buying from Virpil isn't like getting something at Amazon that you can return.   It's a commitment.   And as Mark Twain said, 'the difference between involvement and commitment is when there's bacon and eggs for breakfast the chicken was involved but the pig was committed'.    So I thought I'd ask..... can Virpil and CH exist happily in an IL2/DCS environment?   My thought is eventually I'd go to an all Virpil setup, but I sure love my CH throttle.   

Thanks for any comments on this subject.  

You can use joystick from one brand, e.g. VKB, throttle for another, e.g. VirPil or GVL224 or CH, etc , and rudder pedals from Slaw (or CH), plus a quadrant from Saitek or CH.

Modern games allow assign axes and buttons from different controllers individually in their controls GUI.

They are numbered joy0, joy1, joy2... etc.

Only very old games (90's) - or bad done games (e.g. FPS) accept only one controller.

So, no problem in upgrade you joystick for Virpil, keeping CH throttle and rudder.

Beware: VirPil don't came with software for keyboard emulation*, their Configurator is a firmware upgrade tool with calibration functions and buttons mode options - in e.g. mode 1 joy trigger press button #10, in mode 2 button #20... mode 5 button #50.

https://youtu.be/ZtgR6HUJE6U

BTW - Anyway Joystick Gremlin allow you combine all this controllers in one virtual (limited to 8 axes) if you don't live without software for 

* "press joystick buttons to press keyboard keys to send controls for games".

Edited by Sokol1

It'll definitely work.  I've got a Virpil joystick base, Warthog grip and throttle, CH throttle quad, and Crosswind rudder pedals.  This Franken-pit works great!

• Upvote 1

I like my CH products throttle and stick quite a lot but I have never bothered with the software as it was archaic and pretty unnecessary. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't continue to work fine.

I haven't had any issues using a virpil stick with ch quadrant and vkb pedals.  The idea crossed my mind to get a second ch quad to have extra axes for multi engine aircraft.