il2crashesnfails

Me-262 was it on eastern front?

I know about the 262 on the western front against p51's. However, I have never heard of them operating in the eastern front. Anyone know if they were ever against some yaks?

• Like 1

Ivan Nikolaievitch Kodhezub shot down one. He is the only russian pilot who catched one flying La-7.

There wasn't too many but they made few missions.

• Like 1

During the last months of the war the distance between east and west fronts was small.  It was not unheard of for LW to meet RAF/USAAF and even VVS during the same engagement.

Ivan Kozhedub shot down a 262 in his La7.  He also allegedly shot down 2x P-51 Mustangs who mistook him for a LW fighter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Kozhedub

• Like 1

JG 7 operated from Brandenburg-Briest until 11.04.1945 and then switched to Prague-Rusin and Saatz for the last remaining days. So it is not unlikely that they encountered soviet planes in the last 3-4 weeks of the war.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ICDP said:

During the last months of the war the distance between east and west fronts was small.  It was not unheard of for LW to meet RAF/USAAF and even VVS during the same engagement.

Ivan Kozhedub shot down a 262 in his La7.  He also allegedly shot down 2x P-51 Mustangs who mistook him for a LW fighter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Kozhedub

thanks for the link.

You often hear alot about the fighter aces on the western front not so much on the eastern. 

23 hours ago, ICDP said:

Ivan Kozhedub shot down a 262 in his La7

Good ol' Kozie!!

21 hours ago, il2crashesnfails said:

You often hear alot about the fighter aces on the western front not so much on the eastern. 

You'd be better off in an La5fn if you were trying to replicate any of Kozhedub's extraordinary feats. The La7 is like an La5fn on steroids!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Raptorattacker said:

Good ol' Kozie!!

You'd be better off in an La5fn if you were trying to replicate any of Kozhedub's extraordinary feats. The La7 is like an La5fn on steroids!!

how do you get to fly the LA-5? is it a premium plane?

Must have pre-ordered Battle Of Bodenplatte.

Edited by Thad
  • Like 1

Just got the Ju 52/Зm, also half priced now. Was curious after shooting them down as target practice. I now understand why it's 'expensive', dropping paratroopers etc must be a lot of programming work, and it's a really nice one. Those wings seem ridiculously wide BTW.

Was this a Stol plane?, take off is really fast. Would like to see a Swissair skin for it, and drop tourists instead of German paras. Or a Red Cross Hospital version.

The little leprechaun pilot looks like the Gestapo Mr Flick from 'Allo Allo' who found himself some nice post war job:

Ju53 Pilot.jpg

PS You dev's: 3 engines, wow, now you're almost there, got time for a player B17 or Lancaster maybe ?

Edited by jollyjack

58 minutes ago, il2crashesnfails said:

how do you get the 262 its not in collector planes? 

Buy this.

bob_premium_ea_Xnx6Kmq.jpg

The Map and aircraft selection is in my opinion a must have if your into the late war German, American and English aircraft theatre. 😍

Edited by bzc3lk
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2019 at 11:48 AM, StaB/Tomio_VR*** said:

Ivan Nikolaievitch Kodhezub shot down one. He is the only russian pilot who catched one flying La-7.

But it was close to Frankfurt (Oder)

" Kozhedub":

"On February 19, 1945, 1 was on a lone-wolf operation together with Dmitry Titorenko to the north of Frankfurt. I noticed a plane at an altitude of 350 meters (2,170 feet). It was flying along the Oder at a speed that was marginal for my plane. I made a quick about-face and started pursuing it at full throttle, coming down so as to approach it from under the "belly." My wingman opened fire, and the Me-262 (which was a jet, as I had already realized) began turning left, over to my side, losing speed in the process. That was the end of it. I would never have overtaken it if it had flown in a straight line. The main thing was to attack enemy planes during turns, ascents or descents, and not to lose precious seconds."

Edited by LesG