Sign in to follow this  
Death1111

High ping issues, basically cannot play MP anymore

Hi Everyone

I am having issues with having a high ping for most servers in MP, particularly Wings of Liberty and also DED. I live in Brisbane, Australia- is my geographical location having anything to do with it?

I just moved into a new house, the NBN has not rolled out to my suburb yet (Australia is 3rd world for internet) and I had a choice between ADSL or wireless broadband 4G that connects to the mobile 4G network and allows 12mbps. Where I previously lived in Brisbane I had ADSL and averaged around 9mbps and I did not have any ping issues, at my new place I am averaging around 6mbps. I understand that ping is not directly related to mbps but I am including this information in case (I am not very tech savvy). I have a decent PC rig.

I wish I could get this sorted as I basically cannot play MP now. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

You don't say if you took the ADSL or the wireless broadband 4G option.

If you are connecting via 4G, you will have a terrible ping in addition to the Australia factor.

If you are connecting via ADSL, even at 128k, that should be enough to join servers that aren't full and perhaps even busier servers. It is likely your ADSL speed will be higher than this.

7 hours ago, Death1111 said:
3 hours ago, [DBS]Browning said:

You don't say if you took the ADSL or the wireless broadband 4G option.

If you are connecting via 4G, you will have a terrible ping in addition to the Australia factor.

If you are connecting via ADSL, even at 128k, that should be enough to join servers that aren't full and perhaps even busier servers. It is likely your ADSL speed will be higher than this.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I took the 4G option, I think I will have ADSL connected and try my luck with that

your download/upload speed is basically irrelevant. You can get by on an absolute bare minimum, but you must use a wired connection for best latency. My ping to WoL is roughly 350-400ms, which isn't good, but is playable. 

I did a ping check with the IL2 MP Dogfight Servers and here is what I get:

Six servers are between 28 and 78 msec 

Another group is  between 130 and 250

And another bunch is between 300 and 350.

I found no Cooperative servers. Is this normal?

Btw, I have a coaxial internet network connection with 600 Mbps.

Next year I will have a fiber connection with 1Gbps, but I have no idea if the fiber connection will improve latency or ping.

1 hour ago, IckyATLAS said:

I did a ping check with the IL2 MP Dogfight Servers and here is what I get:

Six servers are between 28 and 78 msec 

Another group is  between 130 and 250

And another bunch is between 300 and 350.

I found no Cooperative servers. Is this normal?

Btw, I have a coaxial internet network connection with 600 Mbps.

Next year I will have a fiber connection with 1Gbps, but I have no idea if the fiber connection will improve latency or ping.

Co-Op servers aren't that common and usually run for set times for whoever is running them or as an event. So its not odd to find no coop servers.

Your ping actually sounds really reasonable for me. Mine is usually nearly 200 for European servers. 

13 hours ago, [RBRI]Khaela said:

You can also check out the Unprofessional server which is based in Australia. 

Yes I noticed with this server the ping is always low and in the green...around 50 on average

10 hours ago, Tasmanaut said:

your download/upload speed is basically irrelevant. You can get by on an absolute bare minimum, but you must use a wired connection for best latency. My ping to WoL is roughly 350-400ms, which isn't good, but is playable. 

That is also what my ping is for WoL however as soon as I join that server I get kicked from it before even getting into the game- I assumed that was because of my high ping?

Usually if you are being kicked for ping issues there is a message in the chat window on the left hand side of the screen.

Have you tried Combat Box server?

I usually find that the ping is better on that server.

Regards

On 9/23/2019 at 2:01 PM, Death1111 said:

Hi Everyone

I am having issues with having a high ping for most servers in MP, particularly Wings of Liberty and also DED. I live in Brisbane, Australia- is my geographical location having anything to do with it?

I just moved into a new house, the NBN has not rolled out to my suburb yet (Australia is 3rd world for internet) and I had a choice between ADSL or wireless broadband 4G that connects to the mobile 4G network and allows 12mbps. Where I previously lived in Brisbane I had ADSL and averaged around 9mbps and I did not have any ping issues, at my new place I am averaging around 6mbps. I understand that ping is not directly related to mbps but I am including this information in case (I am not very tech savvy). I have a decent PC rig.

I wish I could get this sorted as I basically cannot play MP now. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

LOL as soon as I read the first sentence I was like "yep must be a fellow straylian" (I'm in Sydney)

I find the high ping makes MP near impossible, usually I get booted due to high ping.

In the original series I could play on servers with a ping of circa 350 and not have any noticeable issues.

Sadly not in the current game (I'm no computer wiz so I have no idea why not), and since I don't like SP, I play the odd QMB

And QMB only scratches the itch so much.... :(

9 hours ago, novicebutdeadly said:

LOL as soon as I read the first sentence I was like "yep must be a fellow straylian" (I'm in Sydney)

I find the high ping makes MP near impossible, usually I get booted due to high ping.

In the original series I could play on servers with a ping of circa 350 and not have any noticeable issues.

Sadly not in the current game (I'm no computer wiz so I have no idea why not), and since I don't like SP, I play the odd QMB

And QMB only scratches the itch so much.... :(

Yes being forced to only play single player is incredibly frustrating; I miss the art of combat against real, experienced and skilled human opponents. Do you have the NBN at your address or are you using ADSL or wireless? At my previous address in Hawthorne, Brisbane I was only ADSL 2 and I averaged about 10mbps and my ping was also ok, I was always able to play MP. I think the ping issues I had at the next address (ADSL 2) were due to the distance from the exchange (3.5km) and perhaps at my current address due to the fact I am using wireless 4G. I am considering to try ADSL 2 until the NBN rolls out in my area.

23 hours ago, Death1111 said:

Yes being forced to only play single player is incredibly frustrating; I miss the art of combat against real, experienced and skilled human opponents. Do you have the NBN at your address or are you using ADSL or wireless? At my previous address in Hawthorne, Brisbane I was only ADSL 2 and I averaged about 10mbps and my ping was also ok, I was always able to play MP. I think the ping issues I had at the next address (ADSL 2) were due to the distance from the exchange (3.5km) and perhaps at my current address due to the fact I am using wireless 4G. I am considering to try ADSL 2 until the NBN rolls out in my area.

I think I have ADSL 2, but the NBN should be coming shortly....

It's a shame that we don't seem to have too many Aussie players online (there is a Australian server which gives me a ping of about 70) :(