jollyjack

Terms and abbreviations list for newbies

Hi, as relatively a newbie to flight sims as IL*2 and it's various airplanes I wonder if there's some terms and abbreviations explanation list anywhere available.

Sometimes i figured stuff out by what's been posted on Wikipedia etc. But especially abbreviations quite often used on this forum some times takes a while for me to grab the meaning of it. A month ago f.i. I did not know whats slats or chocks were, and a list as such would be a helpful thing for those new to this flying business. Thnx, J

BOBP Battle of Bodenplatte

IL2 Ilyushin attack plane

FC Flying Circus

PWCG (this one is important :) ) Patrick Wilson's Campaign Generator

SP Single Player

MP Multi Player

DD Dev Diary

SL Sea Level

IAS Indicated Air Speed

TAS True Air Speed

HP Horsepower

Ru Rüstsätze  (German field modifications)

TTFN ta ta for now

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Some terms and abbreviations in multiplayer chat:

gf = Good fight

s = Salute (see gf)

666 = Watch your "6" (someone's on your tail - perhaps the devil)

Other terms and abbreviations:

At  your 12 / 6 / 9 / 3 (o'clock) = Something is in the direction of your nose / tail / left wing / right wing (you can also specify high or low, e.g., "Enemy at your 3 high")

3/9 line = The imaginary line from your right wing tip and left wing tip (e.g., "keep the enemy in front of your 3/9 line")

Bogie = Unidentified aircraft

Bandit = Enemy aircraft

Friendly = Friendly aircraft

Visual/blind = Friendly aircraft or ground unit spotted/not spotted

Tally/no joy = Enemy aircraft or ground unit spotted/not spotted

Feet wet/feet dry = Flying over water/land

RTB = Return to base

Winchester = Out of ordinance (ammo, bombs, etc.)

Edited by JimTM
  • Upvote 1

GFY - go **** yourself

GLHF - good luck have fun

GG - good game

o7 - also salute, looks like a little head saluting

BoX - battle of (which ever current or future expansion)

Edited by Tyberan

Terms for engine throttle: Boost, MAP, Manifold Pressure, Inches, Inches of Mercury, XX", +XXlbs, X.XXata, mmhg

Terms for engine speed: RPM, u/min

WTF - Whiskey, Tango then Foxtrot: A common pastime for pilots on leave, consisting of some whiskey, later maybe some tango and then some Foxtrot if you feel like it. 

IFR - A simple set of rules to follow when flying in bad weather. Main component includes "i", "follow" and "roads". 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Patrick, thanks, BTW i like your Campaign generator, compliments. Not too fond of installing Java alas, security risky, but this might be helpful:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/using-java-securely-on-windows-10

One thing to be aware of is that PWCG has absolutely no network code - zero, zilch, none.  It never communicates with the outside world.  So a user can install Java, disable Java on their browser, and run PWCG.  Don't want to hijack this thread but since it came up (and I'm the one that initiated it with my PWCG plug :) ) I just wanted to point that out.

• Upvote 3

Luftwhiner - A person entirely devoted to German aircraft who can complain about their perceived shortcomings in any conversation.  They would not hesitate to bring up the subject of the Fw-190's bar at weddings, funerals and even bah mitzvahs.  

Vulcher - A label derived from the word Vulture.  Describes a type of online player who habitually flies to the nearest enemy base and orbits the area, waiting for a new player to spawn.  They will then attack before the new player has a chance to get airborne.  Vulchers usually stay until they are destroyed by flak, but are often easily bested by other players already in the air.  

Russian Bias - An accusation of conspiracy to overtly empower Soviet hardware to unfairly ensure teh win.

Full Real - A term sometimes used to describe playing the game at the highest difficulty settings and without map icons etc.   Not to be confused with Reality.  

Noob - Someone you don't like, who flys just as badly as you do. 

Cheater - Someone you don't like, who flys better than you. 

Dev Diary - Also known as DD.  The often-weekly information updates on the progress of the latest titles in development. 

Dev Dairy - The place where the developers get their milk. 

• Haha 14
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Luftwhiner - A person entirely devoted to German aircraft who can complain about their perceived shortcomings in any conversation.  They would not hesitate to bring up the subject of the Fw-190's bar at weddings, funerals and even bah mitzvahs.  

Vulcher - A label derived from the word Vulture.  Describes a type of online player who habitually flies to the nearest enemy base and orbits the area, waiting for a new player to spawn.  They will then attack before the new player has a chance to get airborne.  Vulchers usually stay until they are destroyed by flak, but are often easily bested by other players already in the air.  

Russian Bias - An accusation of conspiracy to overtly empower Soviet hardware to unfairly ensure teh win.

Full Real - A term sometimes used to describe playing the game at the highest difficulty settings and without map icons etc.   Not to be confused with Reality.  

Noob - Someone you don't like, who flys just as badly as you do. 

Cheater - Someone you don't like, who flys better than you. 

Dev Diary - Also known as DD.  The often-weekly information updates on the progress of the latest titles in development. 

Dev Dairy - The place where the developers get their milk. 

LOL = when feathered enjoys his saturday beer and at the same time get the urge to type

• Haha 6

Two Weeks = A unit of time after which software is guaranteed to be delivered

Too Weak = A description of my air combat skills

Tweak = A short message ;)

• Haha 3

All well guyz, but what's CTD, come to daddy? close the day?

This is supposed to be one:

CTD-me-details_hg.jpg

6 hours ago, jollyjack said:

CTD-me-details_hg.jpg

This has got me curious, what is it?

Looks like something you'd use to torture Han Solo... 

What you really gotta watch out for are the abbreviations that carry multiple meanings. 

MP = MultiPlayer or Manifold Pressure 

RPM = Rounds Per Minute (about rate of fire of guns) or Revolutions Per Minute (about engine management and prop governors) 

(Cowl) Flaps = sometimes simply refered to a "flaps", which can cause confusion. 

MK = "Mark" (refering to version numbers on British aircraft) or MotorKanone (German engine-mounted cannon) 

• Upvote 1

Actually Water Closet .... i was serious, but some call it The Loo, Uncle John, Outhouse .... to name a few.

PS where do all those fly boys go to on the job? .... just finished one trip in Havoc, took me more than an hour.

1 minute ago, jollyjack said:

PS where do all those fly boys go to on the job?

True talk: 

ypcbqciru2unefsp9jvh.jpg

• Upvote 1

And then? With all the wind just open a window? You can't do an immelmann after this business ...

Heard for FC1 this one will be in the next update, flyable and all, beans for propulsion fuel:

flying john.jpg

==============================================================================================================================

BTW, NOW I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT CTD STANDS FOR 🤕

Edited by jollyjack

On 9/21/2019 at 12:33 PM, jollyjack said:

Hi, as relatively a newbie to flight sims as IL*2 and it's various airplanes I wonder if there's some terms and abbreviations explanation list anywhere available.

Sometimes i figured stuff out by what's been posted on Wikipedia etc. But especially abbreviations quite often used on this forum some times takes a while for me to grab the meaning of it. A month ago f.i. I did not know whats slats or chocks were, and a list as such would be a helpful thing for those new to this flying business. Thnx, J

OMW = On My Way

RTB = Return To Base

Feet dry = crossing the coast from the water to the land

Feet wet = Crossing the land to the water

In regards to map reference of for examples A9 key 5 = Quadrant A9 and the middle of that quadrant, with key 5 meaning it's location using the num keys as a reference point 

On 9/23/2019 at 4:54 PM, jollyjack said:

And then? With all the wind just open a window? You can't do an immelmann after this business ...

Heard for FC1 this one will be in the next update, flyable and all, beans for propulsion fuel:

flying john.jpg

==============================================================================================================================

BTW, NOW I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT CTD STANDS FOR 🤕

I certainly hope so. That's a DH2. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 3:49 AM, jollyjack said:

All well guyz, but what's CTD, come to daddy? close the day?

This is supposed to be one:

CTD-me-details_hg.jpg

I think you'll find that is a Weapon, Secret M-2. This is the M-1.

SNAFU-weapon-secret-M-1.png

CTD actually stands for the Church–Turing–Deutsch principle, which states that any physical process can be simulated on a universal computing device. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church–Turing–Deutsch_principle

Unfortunately, universal computing devices don't actually exist, except in the minds of theoreticians...

6 hours ago, CTquicknthedead said:

I sure would like to know the one for

"TAW"

Thanks

TAW = Tactical Air War

Edited by JimTM

FUBAR = F*ck*d Up Beyond All Recognition. 😑

• Upvote 1

Two less commonly used phrases (they're purely game lingo btw):

Ring the bell: Keep shooting at an already incapacitated target, usually with lower caliber weaponary until that target visibly breaks apart/catches fire. A common behaviour in IL2 MP actually:)

Going František (pronounced Franti-check): Persuing a fleeing enemy into their territory/to their homebase to secure a kill. If the pilot doing so is quite successful on the scores tab, the phrase becomes the flyers equivalent of "going berserk".

CTD == Crash To Desktop. The program has stopped working and just stops. BOHICA, it's SNAFU.

Edited by schurem

the term "card" is sometimes used by devs and russian native speakers. it means "map" to us.

• Upvote 1

Including phonetic alphabet from WWI and WWII

527172D1-A7F7-4199-8185-5D9E3BAC6827.jpeg

Edited by Faust

SSSFFS!!!

STOP SHOULDER SHOOTING FFS!!!!

DNSOTWOAFTIAAEA!!!!!!!

Do not shoot over the wing of a friend that is attacking an enemy aircraft!!!!!!

Edited by AeroAce

Ah, so many ideas and suggestions, but i missed this one sofar: OOPS!

OOPS.jpg

6 hours ago, OrLoK said:

the term "card" is sometimes used by devs and russian native speakers. it means "map" to us.

Don't forget while you fly over Russian territory in an Axis plane to play this song:

https://youtu.be/wHylQRVN2Qs